Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] The Black Mages III news. A bunch of pointless speculation follows.

Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:41 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2008, 05:41 PM #51 of 80
Darkness and Starlight is going to be the most awful thing ever. Well, except for a version which would be presented by mr. goo's horrible wailing.
Goddammit, I didn't knock on wood when I said that. "Mr. goo" will indeed be "singing" on this particular track, according to new information. This will send extremely bad karma all over the album and its release. A black dawn is rising and the apocalypse is nowish. Everything we love will die a painful death. Thank you, mr. goo.

It really is that bad news. I don't know if I'll be able to listen to the cd even once. He could lurk on any of the other tracks too... OH GOD. =(

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Teioh
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 61

Level 21.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:05 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2008, 06:05 PM #52 of 80
Well, maybe you've all had wrong expectations for this album. I've never seen so many negative previews of a CD just based on tracklist speculations. And it's not only at this place.
Oh.. your favorite track didn't make it again? Well be glad that way it can't be performed by mr.goo.

What I've heard so far is awesome, even though some tracks are lacking too many guitars for a Black Mages album (The Extreme is just synth, isn't it). The tracklist completely satisfies me by taking the (STILL) underrated tracks like Assault of the Silver Dragons and Neo Exdeath and giving them some fresh taste.

I think this turns out a lot better than Black Mages II.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:20 AM #53 of 80
The tracklist makes me sad . . . I was hoping and wishing for an awesome Organ + Guitar Birth of a God.

Dammit, Motoi, just cover the damn song already. You'd actually do it justice (if it was live instruments)

I was speaking idiomatically.
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:18 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2008, 09:18 AM #54 of 80
We've published an interview with Uematsu-san to go along with the album release:

Darkness and Starlight Interview.

Some interesting bits of info here, especially the fact that he used to perform in a band 20 years ago. Maybe that's old news, but I don't seem to recall hearing that before.

Most amazing jew boots
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:42 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2008, 07:42 PM #55 of 80
Now that I've listened through the album, I can say that my expectations were at least met: I found a few tracks I enjoy. The Extreme wasn't raped completely, to my surprise, in fact it was quite enjoyable even though the guitar solo in the middle was embarassing. And the gem on this album is Grand Cross, fricking vicious, but could've been a bit faster to lose the 60's rock vibe.

The Black Mages seems to be hoarding a double-edged sword when it comes to making their rock tracks. While they almost always keep the arrangements very close to the original songs, and while this sometimes works out really well (twice on this album), sometimes the tracks turn out relatively uninteresting, boring or even downright tasteless and horrible (like Assault of the Silver Dragons or Darkness and Starlight, for example).

Anyway, I listened to it, will be keeping a few of the tracks on my computer, but this is not material I would buy, not in a million years.

FELIPE NO
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 04:58 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2008, 01:58 PM #56 of 80
Our full impressions just went live:

Darkness and Starlight Review.

I think it's a great album, but if you're not into rock, then it's probably not for you, obviously. I really enjoy what they did with Distant Worlds.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
MrSatan
I'm the best, and the best thing is you know it!

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 05:59 PM #57 of 80
is it our now??? ill have to check where i can find this album, i love rock so i would probably ejoy the album

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 06:11 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2008, 04:11 PM #58 of 80
This album is okay...I'm listening to it right now. Will post my reviews on it later

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:58 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2008, 04:58 PM #59 of 80
is it our now??? ill have to check where i can find this album, i love rock so i would probably ejoy the album
It came out on the 19th in Japan. So yesterday. I doubt it's arrived to anyone outside of Japan at this point, so it's likely whatever it is people are saying about the album is from ripped MP3s that somehow got leaked. The review I linked to lists two stores that you can purchase it from, including Amazon and Play-Asia.

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:00 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2008, 06:00 PM #60 of 80
It came out on the 19th in Japan. So yesterday. I doubt it's arrived to anyone outside of Japan at this point, so it's likely whatever it is people are saying about the album is from ripped MP3s that somehow got leaked. The review I linked to lists two stores that you can purchase it from, including Amazon and Play-Asia.
Not to sound like an asshole or anything but you're on GFF...

HOME OF THE TORRENT and HOME OF THE FTP!

Seriously...here...if you know the right people...you can get anything.

Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 09:46 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2008, 06:46 PM #61 of 80
Not to sound like an asshole or anything but you're on GFF...

HOME OF THE TORRENT and HOME OF THE FTP!

Seriously...here...if you know the right people...you can get anything.
Yeah, I know. I'm not saying that it's bad or horrible or anything. I was just letting him know that it wasn't technically "out."

Josh_1
Organization XIII

Member 1596

Level 17.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:15 PM #62 of 80
I find this to be the BEST album by the Black Mages yet. The only track I don't particularly care for is Darkness and Starlight. I'd much rather have had another One Winged Angel rehash than that. Besides that track, the rest of the album exceeded my expectations. Distant Worlds, Assault of the Silver Dragons, The Extreme, Neo Exdeath, and Grand Cross are quite entertaining and are the among the most solid of Black Mages arrangements. I hope that Uematsu continues to make BLM albums, especially if the quality gets better than this!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:20 PM #63 of 80
Contrarily, I am actually quite disappointed by this album in comparison, and my expectations were shattered in a bad way It's probably just me, but the style of rock this time around was far too synthy, and the electric guitars weren't as prominent or deep as I would have come to expect and love. all the tracks were "good, but not fantastic". Probably the one that stands out the most to me is Grand Cross, not having heard many other remixes for stuff from IX, although 2, 3 and 7 are also nice to hear. Kurayaminokumo could do without the nostalgia throwback with the starting instrument, while Assault of the Silver Dragons had so much potential but didn't utilize it fully.

Despite what I just said, I liked every single track, but I was expecting at least one of them to stay on my list for a long time, but this is now flavour of the week material to me unfortunately, coming off as more generic rock, instead of blowing me away like the first two albums. I'm hoping this is simply a taste of acquired taste.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Summonmaster; Mar 19, 2008 at 11:24 PM.
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:45 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2008, 08:45 PM #64 of 80
Grand Cross was one of the least impressive pieces in my opinion. It was too straightforward. There wasn't much interpretation by the band. Distant Worlds is the standout for me, although I enjoyed Darkness and Starlight as well.

Anyway, a lot of people are saying it's too "synthy," but that's what Fukui is there for. He did a great job, even reminding me of Sakuraba at points.

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:42 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2008, 06:42 PM #65 of 80
This is my favourite of the Black Mages albums, but I'm still not completely blown away by this. Not a huge fan of the new synthesis-orientated arrangements, but most of the arrangements themselves are pretty solid with this cleaner, clearer sound. "Distant World", "Grand Cross" and "Premonition" are absolute winners in my book.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Josh_1
Organization XIII

Member 1596

Level 17.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:51 AM #66 of 80
Arcuablis,

I was also reminded of Sakuraba. The one track that is quite evident of this is Opening~Bombing Mission. It's very much like his concert version of Dawn of Wisdom.

espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:06 AM #67 of 80
It's a good album, but i thought it was a bit soft, i don't like how the guitars don't really stand out like they did on the previous albums. There was some sick guitar solos, but it didn't sound that much more pronounced as they did before. I gotta say Distant Worlds surprised me, i never heard that song before and right now it's probably my favorite track.

I just wished the guitars were louder and stood out more, they were blended in with everything else, and it kinda took away from the sweetness of the solos.

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2008, 01:46 PM #68 of 80
It's not that good.

I think I and II were way better. I'm pretty glad I bought II, probably one of the sweetest purchases I've ever made. The cover is sweet as hell too.

kikkeli
Chocobo

Member 10817

Level 9.00

Aug 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:11 AM #69 of 80
I thought the first two were already too synthy and now they're even more? Oh geez.. One thing that's funny about Black Mages is that the idea is just brilliant but the execution is most of the time very subpar or even downright ridiculous (mr. goo what the f). Guess I'll have to check out this one too :P

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2008, 09:54 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2008, 06:54 AM #70 of 80
Seems like theres a SQL error on Gamemp3s. Can anyone here upload the torrent or the album itself? Seems like this is an album I have to hear it for myself, since reactions seem to be mixed.

Most amazing jew boots

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:22 AM 1 #71 of 80
I was disappointed on my first few listens too, but then I listened more and more to the album for site review purposes. It really grew on me and, in the end, I gave it a 10/10. Only three albums in in the past have received such a score (Motoi Sakuraba Live Concert 2003, Final Fantasy VI Original Sound Version, and, when I finally get round to releasing it, Gradius Arcade Soundtrack). That's out of over 100 detailed reviews.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Mr. X; Mar 22, 2008 at 10:26 AM.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:55 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 06:55 AM #72 of 80
I myself do also wish that they dont rely on synth too much, since they're suppose to be a band. But damn, I love Distant Worlds, cannot stop listening to it over and over. Grand Cross is also awesome.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:51 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 09:51 AM #73 of 80
I myself do also wish that they dont rely on synth too much, since they're suppose to be a band. But damn, I love Distant Worlds, cannot stop listening to it over and over. Grand Cross is also awesome.
Synth based? What the hell album did you listen to? Their lousy guitar player got more airtime than ever.

Album is awful, by the way. Just... terrible.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Trench
The Raven

Member 2985

Level 17.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:57 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 08:57 AM 1 1 #74 of 80
Wow, this thread was started late 2006. It's early 2008, and this is the result of the album? What were they doing the whole time? I never did like these Black Mages albums, and this one is garbage just like the rest. Horrible remixes, save one or two every album, which marginally miss horrible and skid into the listenable range.

The Rock
Carob Nut

Member 2415

Level 6.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:28 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 02:28 PM #75 of 80
I thought the album was just okay, which is a disappointment. It could have been much, MUCH better. Only a few of the tracks were enjoyable. Best song on the album was probably Distant World in my opinion. Opening - Bomb Mission and Premonition aren't too bad either. 5/10

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [News] The Black Mages III news. A bunch of pointless speculation follows.