Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

DreamWorks acquires rights to Ghost in the Shell live-action

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Apr 17, 2008, 08:44 AM Local time: Apr 17, 2008, 09:44 PM #1 of 12
DreamWorks acquires rights to Ghost in the Shell live-action

DreamWorks to make 'Ghost' in 3-D - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety
Quote:
DreamWorks has acquired rights to the Japanese manga "Ghost in the Shell" with plans to adapt the futuristic police thriller as a 3-D live-action feature.
Story follows the exploits of a member of a covert ops unit of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission that specializes in fighting technology-related crime.

Created by Masamune Shirow, "Ghost in the Shell" was first published in 1989. It went on to generate two additional manga editions, three anime film adaptations, an anime TV series and three videogames. The second anime film, "Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence," was released in the U.S. by DreamWorks in 2004.

Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Steven Paul of Seaside Entertainment are attached to produce and brought the project to the studio. Jamie Moss has been tapped to pen the adaptation.

Universal and Sony were also chasing "Ghost in the Shell," but Steven Spielberg took personal interest in the property and made it happen at DreamWorks.

" 'Ghost in the Shell' is one of my favorite stories," Spielberg said. "It's a genre that has arrived, and we enthusiastically welcome it to DreamWorks."

DreamWorks prexy of production Adam Goodman said "Ghost in the Shell" is a property "that epitomizes 3-D live-action motion picture possibilities."

Avi Arad is at the forefront of comicbook-based material, having produced the three "Spider-Man" films, the three "X-Men" movies, the two "Fantastic Four" picss and the upcoming "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk."

Moss' writing credits include "Street Kings," which bowed Friday, and "Last Man Home," in development at Universal.
CUE FANBOY MOANING

(Watch them sit on it forever like WETA with Evangelion)

How ya doing, buddy?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:43 AM Local time: Apr 17, 2008, 11:43 AM #2 of 12
Interesting. I wonder who they'd get to play the Major?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:50 AM Local time: Apr 17, 2008, 11:50 AM #3 of 12
Wonder if they're gonna Americanize the names...

A live-action version of Akira is coming with Leonardo DiCaprio playing Kaneda. I'm serious It's on IMDB. I hope this isn't the next big craze.

In before Pokemon movie.

How ya doing, buddy?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Josh_1
Organization XIII

Member 1596

Level 17.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:52 PM #4 of 12
Yoko Kanno had better be scoring the music. NO other composer (american or otherwise) can equal her work with this series.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 02:09 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 01:09 AM #5 of 12
strange i don't smell fail on this one
would of been great if the guys behind the matrix did it cause for sure they would of gave it some type of justice.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 02:16 AM #6 of 12
I'd take a look at what the Wachowski brothers are able to accomplish with Speed Racer before I make that judgment. Sure, The Matrix is influenced by GitS but I dunno...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Zukan
Carob Nut

Member 1321

Level 5.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:58 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 12:58 PM #7 of 12
Spielberg better make damn sure the movie gets the proper adaption it deserves.

3 years later:
Arnold Schwarzenegger as Batou.

FELIPE NO
Chankoro?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:07 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 05:07 AM #8 of 12
Yeah, hey let's give it to the Wachowski's, because they're a stunning 1 for 4 (Saw an advance on Speed Racer, about 25 minutes worth. Don't hold your breath, boys.) and as such, fully deserve to fuck this up, too.

Stop sucking the Wachowski's dick, people. They're not good filmmakers. They got lucky with one movie, and that STILL gets more praise than it deserves.

Blah got this one right. It's going to be like WETA taking rights and not bothering. Every anime-to-real adaptation that's coming down the pipes looks -terrible-. You know why? Because it's going to be -ridiculous-.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:45 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 12:45 PM #9 of 12
The reason things like this generally fail, especially in the eyes of all you fanboys out there, is that because the original is so well known, you're looking for a carbon copy remake only with actual actors. When the studios adapt it a bit and possibly give it a bit more mass market appeal you all get your pants twisted and decry it as garbage.

Despite Deni's dislike of them, the Wachowski's with the Matrix trilogy made a good adaptaion of Ghost in the Shell with real actors already. According to interviews with Joel Schumacher, the first thing they did when they wanted him to direct the movies was show him GITS and say "We want to make that with actors". By sensibly not plastering the name all over it, they were able to avoid too much direct comparison with GITS and people saw the film for what it was, a good quality action film which included all the obvious cliches you find in anime (Big robots, super-human martial artists, an implausible plot that's never quite described to the viewer in attempt to make it seem "deep", etc etc) without getting hung up on the "OMG WUT HAEV THEY DUNZ TO GITS!!!!!111!!! BASTARDZ!!!111!" that would have been inevitable if it had been called GITS the movie or something.

Also, I don't understand the concept this comment:

Originally Posted by Gechmir
A live-action version of Akira is coming with Leonardo DiCaprio playing Kaneda. I'm serious It's on IMDB. I hope this isn't the next big craze.
Why would it be a bad thing if this became the latest craze? At best, someone might produce some really good live action adaptations of some manga films. At worst, a bunch will come out and they'll all be shit. Nobody is going to force you to watch them though, just don't go, carry on sitting at home watching the cartoon versions instead. At least some of the Hollywood revenues from all the people who do go to see them might end up in the hands of the studios who made the original anime, enabling them to fund bigger and better projects or invest in new talent or even just make up some of the revenue shortfall they have from people downloading their shit rather than buying it and enable them to stay afloat.

Honestly, explain to me the downside in any of that.

How ya doing, buddy?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:31 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 09:31 AM #10 of 12
I'm still waiting on a really good live action adaptation of a video game, man. Even if Hollywood shoots at everything that moves, that doesn't mean they'll definitely do one right.

Pardon me for despising the unoriginality that Hollywood has been stuck in for several, several years now. I wasn't aware that I had to silently witness shitty movies get released without complaining about the state of things. GitS will probably suck because it'll get dumbed down so, so, so very much in order to make it to movie length. Either they pick up assuming the audience knows about stuff, or they dumb it down INCREDIBLY, as well as probably wreck the characters in the process.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Elegy
Sea King!

Member 7052

Level 11.50

May 2006

Old Apr 25, 2008, 07:18 PM 1 #11 of 12
strange i don't smell fail on this one
would of been great if the guys behind the matrix did it cause for sure they would of gave it some type of justice.
I still can't believe people actually like Matrix 2 and 3. Either way, it wouldn't matter if they were involved since these types of adaptations always fail. I just don't see how a live action anything from anime could translate well. It really doesn't help the guy that's involved with all these awful comic book movies is working on this.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:15 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2008, 10:45 PM #12 of 12
I do consider the original Ghost in the Shell animated feature one of my favourite animated films of all time.

I just don't know what to expect from this. If they do end up making a live action movie of this anime, I'll probably go see it. I just won't expect much out of it. I think its unrealistic for people to expect any film that is adapted from an anime or a video game to be a complete carbon copy.

I'll be honest I don't look at films the same way that a lot of the film buffs do. I just want to come out of the movie and just think to myself that it was entertaining to watch and if it was worth my 10 dollars to see it in theatre.

I've seen a few live action anime movies such as the Guyver movies, Wicked City, City Hunter, Fist Of The Northstar, and a few others. To be honest while the majority of them were bad. Some I really enjoyed such as City Hunter and Fist Of The Northstar no matter how cheesy or inaccurate they were.

I even heard talk of a rumor that since Transformers was so successful. That they're even considered turning Robotech into a live action movie. I've got no ambition to see Speed Racer. It'll probably be a rental for me more than likely.

When it comes to movies based on an anime or manag series, its best not to look too much into it and just take it at face value. You'd probably be a little less disappointed when it comes to movies such as these.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > DreamWorks acquires rights to Ghost in the Shell live-action