Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Slide Adventure: Mag Kid $19.90 @ Play-Asia

trackjacket
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 22470

Level 13.94

May 2007

Old Dec 19, 2007, 02:58 AM #1 of 11
Slide Adventure: Mag Kid $19.90 @ Play-Asia - DS Optical Sensor Attachment

Okay, I searched, found nothing.

Title: Slide Adventure: Mag Kid
Developer: Agenda (Clubhouse Games)
Publisher: Nintendo

Slide Adventure: Mag Kid is a Nintendo DS title that comes bundled with an optical-sensor attachment (Slide Controller) that's placed into the GBA slot (essentially, to emulate an optical mouse). Of course, you can't play the game without the peripheral, so piracy isn't a possibility (AFAIK, at least).

The gameplay is fairly simplistic: slide around your DS (with the Slide Controller) across various flat surfaces to collect things in-game, fend off enemies, fight bosses, and partake in mini-games. It's basically a puzzle game with some action elements. Your motions with the DS in hand are mimicked in-game, as it provides 1:1 control. As you control the main character, Mag Kid, you can perform various attacks and maneuvers in order to finish the level. The aptly named Mag Kid has magnetic properties that allow for him to pick up various objects and items to connect onto him. By sliding quickly into enemies, you'll be able to paralyze them, and then attach them to Mag Kid -- should you choose to do so. Different enemies that are picked up via Mag Kid have different attributes and abilities that Mag Kid can subsequently make use of. Such powers include breathing fire and shooting lasers. You can pick up and attach over 3 enemies at a time onto Mag Kid, but, by doing so, you'll slow yourself down, and your magnetic power won't be as conducive. By progressing through the game, other mini-games can be unlocked: whack-a-mole, a shooting gallery, a fishing challenge, and others.

IGN has a preview of the game up based on their import impressions:
IGN: Slide Adventure: Mag Kid Preview

YouTube Video

They also have 2 fairly extensive gameplay videos that shows off the basic premise of the gameplay -- I definitely suggest watching the videos if you're at all interested:
IGN: Slide Adventure: Mag Kid Video 2081007
IGN: Slide Adventure: Mag Kid Video 2081011

And, of course, Play-Asia's sale on the game:
Buy Slide Adventure: Mag Kid (Nintendo DS) - Order Now!

I ordered it already, so I expect to receive it sometime next week. I'll post again with impressions if anyone cares.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by trackjacket; Dec 19, 2007 at 07:58 PM.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:43 AM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 12:43 AM #2 of 11
At first I thought "Hey, I might order this, it looks pretty fun." then the constant moving of the screen made me dizzy.

But it isn't very useful unless you're near a table. You couldn't play it on your bed or on the bus, etc. The sliding seems unnecessary.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ApOkwARG
IDDQD

Member 23708

Level 7.77

Aug 2007

Old Dec 19, 2007, 08:08 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2007, 03:08 PM #3 of 11
Are there more games that support this new peripheral?

How ya doing, buddy?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2007, 08:53 AM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 02:53 AM #4 of 11
Are there more games that support this new peripheral?
Nope. It's specifically for that game. Much like this:

YouTube Video

Now if this was $20, I'd definitely buy it. In fact, fuck, this might even be worth it for $50.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Elixir; Dec 19, 2007 at 09:25 AM.
trackjacket
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 22470

Level 13.94

May 2007

Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:37 PM #5 of 11
That isn't entirely true, given that the Arkanoid paddle is a third party peripheral, and the Slide Controller was done by Nintendo. It's possible another game or two will surface that supports the controller, but, based on Slide Adventure's dismal sales performance in Japan, I can't see it happening. Well, actually, I could see Nintendo shoehorning some Pokemon game onto it.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by trackjacket; Dec 19, 2007 at 06:41 PM.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:04 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2007, 06:04 PM #6 of 11
Y'know, this is the first I've seen videos of the Arkanoid paddle. Where as I was thinking of getting it before, I am now instantly ubersold.

Ordering next week for CERTAIN.

This a weekly special for Mag Kid? Or are they just clearancing them out?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
trackjacket
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 22470

Level 13.94

May 2007

Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:53 PM #7 of 11
There's no mention of it being a weekly special (AFAIK, at least), but it does say it's a "limited time offer". It was $25 last week, and it dropped to $20 this week, so I'm guessing they're just trying to clear them out.

FELIPE NO
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:32 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2008, 06:32 PM #8 of 11
Did you receive it yet? I was wondering what it's like.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
trackjacket
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 22470

Level 13.94

May 2007

Old Jan 10, 2008, 04:40 AM #9 of 11
Yeah, actually, just haven't put any time into it. I wasn't expecting anyone to care about it, though, otherwise I would've sooner. I'll mess around with it sometime today.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 03:20 PM #10 of 11
That looks pretty neat. Definitely tell us what you think of it, trackjacket. =)))

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

trackjacket
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 22470

Level 13.94

May 2007

Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:24 AM 3 #11 of 11

Before I begin, I wanted to take pictures of me actually playing/showing some of the other parts of the game, but it would've been problematic, so I just decided not to.

I just finished a session of Slide Adventure, and it’s really a unique little game. There are some flaws to be found, but it’s still a rather fun adventure from the meager time I’ve spent with it. From what I’ve encountered so far, it requires no knowledge of Japanese to play through, and I suspect it’ll be like that the entire way through the game.

I played for about an hour and a half and went through 8 or so levels. Along the way, I also encountered two boss fights, and those are easily the highlight of Slide Adventure.

Basically, the premise is to slide around, as already noted/hopefully indicated. Before the game begins, you’re treated to a short cut scene that sets the exposition: lightning strikes the house of a family and causes for various objects in the household to be charged and sentient. You control the magnet (Mag Kid) in the household who has the ability to latch onto enemies and pull them around behind you.

Before beginning, in some levels, there will be brief cut scene to explain what your objective is while also showing some dialogue between the various members of the household. The problem here is that, you can’t skip the cut scenes. It’s not an overt problem, but, since I can’t read Japanese, it’s tedious to sit through a minute or so of dialogue that can’t be fast forwarded through nor skipped. Regardless, it’s a minor complaint.

Once you begin the level, you’ll be able to slide across various surfaces in the household to complete your objective. So far, I’ve encountered mainly “collect-a-thon” type objectives, which, is disappointing, but not really an issue. You move around the house via the family members themselves. There are various items (cell phone holder, bouquet of flowers, comic books, glasses container, etc.) that you can move inside of that will then be transported via one of the family member’s to another section of the house. Some of the places you can travel to and from include the living room, the kitchen, children’s room, garage, etc. There are a few problems with this setup, however. Each time you are transported to a new area of the house, there’s a minor load time you have to wait through. You can skip it, usually, though, by pressing B, but you still have to wait 3-5 seconds or so to start at the next area. Additionally, nothing is cohesive. Each of the areas are fragmented, and, generally, isolated from the others, so it can be a hassle to backtrack. It also doesn’t help that there’s no in-game map to peruse, so it can be an even bigger issue just figuring out where you are. Luckily, none of the areas is very large, so you shouldn’t expect to get lost very often.

Each area contains its own unique enemies. As previously mentioned, by quickly sliding into an enemy, you’ll stun them and then be able to latch onto them. Each enemy has a unique power that can then be used by Mag Kid once latched onto him. The more enemies you latch onto, though, the slower you’ll become. Also, by quickly jolting the DS, any enemy latched onto you will be removed and stunned for a brief period of time. Green enemies allow you to shoot a laser that will stun enemies; blue ones shoot bubbles, red ones allow you to shoot fire, and will also disintegrate some enemies if they touch you, etc. So far, I’ve encountered somewhere around 6-8 different enemy types that Mag Kid can latch on to. Each has their own unique skills that are required for taking out other types of enemies. For example, in order to stun and latch onto fire enemies, you must first have the water enemy latched onto you, so that you can shoot bubbles and douse the flames. The same applies for electric enemies: they move around and will eventually stop then discharge some electricity. During that time, shoot them with bubbles, and they’ll be stunned. There are also hostile enemies that you can defeat, but not latch onto. These enemies can sometimes drop power-ups, though. So far, I’ve found two different ones: one that will cause you and whatever latched enemies on you to grow in size, and one that’ll cause you to shrink.

The controls are excellent and super sensitive. It’s just like handling an optical mouse, basically. You don’t have to play on a flat or smooth surface, even, to enjoy the game. I played it on my bed and just slid my DS around on the covers. Another neat thing is the actual slide device also has rumble built into it. Which makes me wonder if it’s also compliant with the other DS games that support rumble.

Mag Kid has a health bar that will continually decrease upon being damaged by an enemy. For instance, if an enemy shoots you with its laser, you’ll lose 5 HP. You can replenish your health through hearts that can be found throughout the house, but there is usually only one or two per level. Bosses also have a health bar, so when you damage them, you’ll see the amount of HP you’re taking from them, as well.

It’s quite evident that the game is targeted at a young age group. It’s not very difficult (so far), and the controls are very simplistic. Everything is 2D, colorful, and, overall, pretty jovial. The music is also upbeat, unsurprisingly, but it’s very limited. For most levels, there’s only one or two songs that will continuously play; so it can get repetitive.

Finally, the boss fights. I don’t want to spoil too much, but they’re definitely fun. The first boss fight requires you to first gain the abilities of an enemy that allows you to thrust forward quickly. Think of them as the Pegasus Boots from Legend of Zelda. Anyway, you face off against these five different colored teddy bears that have come to life and are sitting atop of five drawers. Each teddy bear has a drawer of its own. They will throw things at you as well as slide open the drawers to damage you. When one of the drawers is slid open, you have to thrust into it in order to damage the teddy bear on top of it. Do enough damage, and you’ll knock out the teddy bear on top. By defeating all five, you’ll beat the boss. The second boss I went up against were flames that were blazing out of a stove.

There’s definitely an emphasis on exploration. You can collect various “Robo Cards” that are strewn about levels. I’m not sure how many in total there are, but each Robo Card is added to your Card Collection upon finding it. These Robo Cards open up timed mini-games (so far, only 60 seconds in length) to play that track your high scores. So far, I’ve collected three Robo Cards. The one mini-game had a deck of cards lined across a table on the bottom screen, and the top screen shows the card that you have to find. Slide around searching for the card, and once found, press A. The top screen will then assign you a new card to locate. The second game that I played involved catching fish. The game takes place in a lake, and you have a net at your disposal that must be used to “hold down” the fish by pressing and holding A, and if you hold them down for long enough, you’ll catch them. The fish will, however, attempt to escape and will move away from the net, so you have to slide along with them in order to not lose your catch. There are various sized fish, and the larger ones are worth more points, but they’re also more difficult to catch. The smaller ones tend to travel in packs, too. The last mini-game I played was extremely simple: swat flies. Various, different colored flies, fly around a small level, and you just slide around and swat at them. The different colored flies are worth more points. For example, gold were worth 6, I believe, and red or blue were worth 1. They’re all the same size, though, but they travel at different speeds. The mini-games are all controlled via the slide controller, if that wasn’t already implied.

There’s a multiplayer mode available with two different options, but I’m not sure what they are. It’s not Wi-Fi enabled, or else I would’ve tried to play it. I’m interested in what you do in multiplayer.

It’s been pretty satisfying so far, and I think I’ll enjoy playing through it in short intervals. I foresee it being a short game, unfortunately, but I hope it isn’t too, too short. If you’re interested in the game, I think it’s a worthwhile purchase since $20 isn’t that much, and you’ll probably have fun with such a quirky game. I wouldn’t recommend it for more than that, though. I’d definitely like to see other games make use of this peripheral, but I doubt any others will -- but, the potential’s there. Overall, it’s a neat game with some minor flaws that does some unique things you likely won’t ever see again on the DS.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Slide Adventure: Mag Kid $19.90 @ Play-Asia