Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Hip Hop/Rap Thread

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:31 PM #76 of 302
I haven't. Does anybody listen to Pete Rock & CL Smooth? I know they're kinda old, but they still sound great.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Igod82
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 226

Level 19.59

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:54 AM #77 of 302
I had some old mix tapes with some nice pete rock stuff on them - i think he did one back on the Tony Touch 50 mc's tapes. What do y'all think about Hip hop from other countries. Like Cuban Group Orishas they are great and have some interesting beats, also a while back one of the Old WU affiliates was rapping in France, Shabazz Tha Disciple I cant remember the name of the French Mc's although they where hot, and the producer from out there in France was nice also. As far as from good old US. Im really into The Jedi Mind Tricks, and I heard the New goshtface was supposed to be nice. And recently i heard this miz tape that had This peruvian rapper from NEw York Dissing BUSH with a couple of other Mc's on it. It was funny as hell.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Duo Maxwell
like this

Member 1139

Level 18.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:49 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 07:49 PM #78 of 302
My problem with commercial hip-hop/rap (And, it wasn't always like this, go back about 8 or 9 years) is that there's very little compositional effort and almost no lyrical variety. I'm serious, Usher's "Yeah" is a good example. The song is called "Yeah" because that's the fucking chorus.

Even commercial hip-hop, the shit that would get piped over the radio, a few years back had a lot of complexity in the melody and even, in some cases, a good message with good delivery.

I'm so disgusted with modern hip-hop/rap for another reason: I can't find a club that doesn't spin almost exclusively the same five fucking songs that every other joint in the country is spinning. Samething on the radio. You know, I go to club and expect actual dance music, like Club/House/Latin/Groove/Techstep/Trance/Hardstyle/Electropop/Drum n Bass. Much like European clubs, where there's at least some variety.

I hear so many recycled beats from popular tracks circa 1998, and too many overly simplistic lyrics that make it hard for me to take the artist seriously.

It's not even about dancing to the music, because I like to dance to hip-hop, but this new-school shit licks balls, man. What happened to the days of Wu-Tang Clan?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
navyseals
Amusing Dick

Member 3499

Level 5.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:37 PM #79 of 302
1. usher is not hip hop.

2. some of the surviving members of wu tang are still doing their thing, e.g. ghostface just released a new album.

3. hip hop keeps evolving and getting better so stfu if you think it used to be better than it is.

FELIPE NO
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:53 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 11:53 PM #80 of 302
Duo Maxwell, you're right. Of course, people here don't want to hear that so any sure you're going to get some pathetic negative respones.

I miss when it was more about creativity and words. Now, I just see all the number one hits about Sex. Sex. and of course, more sex.

Now, I find myself tuning out the trashy lyrics and focusing on the beat. After a while, another song comes out that has the same feel. Most #1 hits are usually shallow and easy to duplicate (and everyone tries to duplicate a number one song.)

Currently, I cut down to listening to the modern rap. I don't really see it as a creative message anymore. I see it as more of a "who can make the best and loudest beat" contest.

Who will criticize me first. Could you be that person?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
navyseals
Amusing Dick

Member 3499

Level 5.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:35 AM #81 of 302
you'll get negative responses becuase you are oblivious to underground hip hop and dont know what youre talking about.

Most amazing jew boots
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:40 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 12:40 AM #82 of 302
Do you know what you're even getting mad it? This wasn't about underground rap and hip-hop, it's about Mainstream Rap and Hip-Hop.

At least comprehend what someone is talking about before you try to bite them.

How ya doing, buddy?
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 01:05 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 10:05 PM #83 of 302
Everyone should check out Gnarls Barkley. It's a team effort by Dangermouse and Cee-Lo, and the result is incredible. It has a sort of psych-rock tinge to it that's just amazing. Their first single "Crazy" is already released, and their soon-to-be released album St. Elsewhere is available for download (illegally and maybe legally). Good stuff, which seems rarer and rarer nowadays.

Here's a little backround on them, and some of the amazing promo pictures they've taken.

A Clockwork Orange

Wayne's World

Freddy and Jason

ps. If anyone has any desktop size pics of them, it would be greatly appreciated

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE; Apr 24, 2006 at 01:09 AM.
navyseals
Amusing Dick

Member 3499

Level 5.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 03:12 AM #84 of 302
Originally Posted by soniclover
Do you know what you're even getting mad it? This wasn't about underground rap and hip-hop, it's about Mainstream Rap and Hip-Hop.

At least comprehend what someone is talking about before you try to bite them.
wtf are you talking about? are you implying that this thread is for mainstream hip hop only? I'm trying to understand but you're coming across as very nonsensical.

XtremeDJW
Chocobo

Member 3625

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 04:13 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 09:13 AM #85 of 302
Originally Posted by navyseals
3. hip hop keeps evolving and getting better so stfu if you think it used to be better than it is.
Before you get up on your high horse I think you forgot one important point. Duo Maxwell is talking about mainstream hip hop. Which he is correct in saying that it's shit.

So why don't you shut the fuck up?

How ya doing, buddy?
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:11 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 07:11 AM #86 of 302
Originally Posted by navyseals
wtf are you talking about? are you implying that this thread is for mainstream hip hop only? I'm trying to understand but you're coming across as very nonsensical.

Or I was talking about Mainstream Hip Hop and Rap in my post. So was Duo Maxwell.

Please, stop getting heated for no reason.

SpaceInsomniac.
Carob Nut

Member 4944

Level 3.83

Apr 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:17 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 12:17 AM #87 of 302
Originally Posted by Capo
Everyone should check out Gnarls Barkley. It's a team effort by Dangermouse and Cee-Lo, and the result is incredible. It has a sort of psych-rock tinge to it that's just amazing. Their first single "Crazy" is already released, and their soon-to-be released album St. Elsewhere is available for download (illegally and maybe legally). Good stuff, which seems rarer and rarer nowadays.
Damn, I had no idea this was in the works, and I love Cee-Lo.

Something else worth checking, and that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, is the new album from The Coup. "Pick a Bigger Weapon" is in stores now, and it's pretty damn good. It also features a great guest spot from Black Thought And Talib Kweli.

FELIPE NO
silvervalkyrie
This is Love

Member 3464

Level 11.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:17 PM #88 of 302
I listen to Mainstream hip-hop and rap (it resides on my PC so it gets played from time to time) but I don't really like it the way other people do.

But I will admit a love for rap/hip-hop that's more about wordplay and lyrical prowess over "hot beats, booty-shakin', commercial" crap. Like soniclover and Duo Maxwell, I really don't like mainstream.

At the moment my current favorite MC is Lupe Fiasco; he's currently under the Atlantic brand but he's been putting out his own mixtapes via his label "1st and 15th" for some time now. Even though people say he's the next big thing from Chicago and following in the footsteps of Common and Kanye West I don't think he can be generalized like that. He was on Kanye's "Touch the Sky" and his newest single (from his Album Food and Liquor) "Kick Push" was premiered on BET a couple of weeks ago.

Having listened to an advance copy of his album I must say he's talented. I suggest you guys check him out. He's just that good.

Last edited by silvervalkyrie; Apr 27, 2006 at 12:49 PM.
Plug 4
チャールズ

Member 5044

Level 5.75

Apr 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:25 PM #89 of 302
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
OMG!!! You didn't mention The Roots! Have you given up on them?
i did mention the roots dear..

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:24 PM #90 of 302
Oh man, yes you did...

Does anybody here ever listen to J-Live?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Plug 4
チャールズ

Member 5044

Level 5.75

Apr 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:53 PM #91 of 302
J-live first two albums are amazing...but his newest one is quite dissapointing...

How ya doing, buddy?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 09:07 PM #92 of 302
Have you heard the rare LP with "Longevity" and "Braggin' Writes" on there? Awesome stuff!

Also, who here has heard of the BoogieMonsters? For those that have no idea what I'm talking about, here's one of their songs, "Recognized Thresholds of Negative Stress":

http://www.sendspace.com/file/b67tek

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 06:11 AM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 01:11 PM #93 of 302
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060429/...music50_cent_5

50 cent is dissin' Oprah lol.

no homo
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:36 PM #94 of 302
I never really cared for Oprah anyway, but that's a whole different topic.

Funny song, though.

Plug 4
チャールズ

Member 5044

Level 5.75

Apr 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 04:44 PM #95 of 302
talking about Hiphop, In the UK they will an amazing release which we won't have here in North America... its Kanye West live with an amazing orchestra.

So look on the web for kanye West - Late Orchestra

amazing shizzle

FELIPE NO
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 04:47 PM Local time: May 1, 2006, 03:47 PM #96 of 302
I don't understand why people enjoy Kanye West so much. I mean, his music is predictable, his rapping is mediocre, and he's an arrogant prick. What's the fascination?

silvervalkyrie
This is Love

Member 3464

Level 11.98

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 05:07 PM #97 of 302
Originally Posted by Plug 4
talking about Hiphop, In the UK they will an amazing release which we won't have here in North America... its Kanye West live with an amazing orchestra.

So look on the web for kanye West - Late Orchestra

amazing shizzle
Yeah, I got it this weekend though the title is Late Orchestration.

I like Kanye because he's (to me) an angrier, edgier bersion of Common.

How ya doing, buddy?
XtremeDJW
Chocobo

Member 3625

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 07:18 PM Local time: May 2, 2006, 12:18 AM #98 of 302
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
I don't understand why people enjoy Kanye West so much. I mean, his music is predictable, his rapping is mediocre, and he's an arrogant prick. What's the fascination?
Thank god its not just me that thinks that then.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 07:23 PM #99 of 302
I agree with your assessment of Kayne West, knkwzrd. I've heard a few of his songs and they're quite annoying. His style is lower than all the hype that surrounds him makes him out to be. I think his arrogrance just about kills his rep in my eyes.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
reflectiVe
R.I.P., J. Dilla. (Jay Dee)

Member 5717

Level 7.21

Apr 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 01:22 AM Local time: May 1, 2006, 11:22 PM #100 of 302
Honestly, my favorite artist based on lyrics is Nas. I still haven't seen anyone that has topped him.

My favorite group would have to be Do or Die, especially "Picture this" album. I'm a fan of old school hiphop (Pharcyde, etc.) and I can't get enough of it. I do like some mainstream, but I also like the underground artists. Such as Saigon. (Saigon & Nas - War is a good example) Most of the mainstream artists though drive me up the wall...such as Kanye West.

This is message is dedicated to real Hip-hop

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > The Hip Hop/Rap Thread