Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] Metallica - Death Magnetic

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:16 AM #1 of 33
Metallica - Death Magnetic

There isn't a thread on this yet? OK, I guess I'll be the one to break the ice:

(clicky)

In two weeks from Tuesday Metallica's 9th studio album will hit the storefronts (both brick-and-mortar and online, the thought of which still makes me laugh a little ) to the trepidation of many still hoping Metallica can sound like they did 20 years ago. It will have been 20 years and a week since the release of ...And Justice For All by that point, and I'm hoping for a return to grace myself.

Their first single, The Day That Never Comes, is available for free, in full-length (7:56), online (again, ). I've heard it, and I'm strapped for time so I'll give my full input later, but here it is.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Dopefish; Aug 24, 2008 at 11:46 PM.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:41 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 10:41 PM #2 of 33
As much as I do like The Day That Never Comes, it's a calling back to their glory days which just will not be fulfilled. I'd like to say I'm excited about Metallica again, since they used to be one of my favourite bands, but that and Cyanide haven't really lived up to my expectations. Good, but not good enough. I really do feel sorry when bands reach their peak. Everything after ...And Justice For All (I'm sorry Black album fans, it was good but I'm a fan of thrash) was a little bland and unimaginative. I hoped for something different.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 06:24 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2008, 07:24 AM #3 of 33

Well, I can't really say anything until I listen to it (do I have to?), but that's my initial reaction.

EDIT: Okay, I listened to "The Day that Never Comes", and it does have a hint of the old Metallica. I hope this album will redeem them from the bad stuff they released in the past 2 decades.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Vemp; Aug 22, 2008 at 06:37 PM.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 06:47 PM #4 of 33
Metallica is strange...They do their best work when they're young, hungry and underground and then make a conscious effort to totally suck once they're noticed for their best work (as opposed to groups that just lose their edge/inspiration). Although I was aware of them, I got into their music very late. It took time for their first four albums to grow on me (I had never heard much thrash), but they're all great and I feel like I get something new out of them every time I go through them (Ride the Lightning being my favorite) But man...I felt my eyes just fucking dropping during every Black album song I came across and Load/Reload were *skip* *skip* *eh, kinda cool, but skip* *skip* *aw fuck it! recycle bin!* I finished the St Anger download, read about the lack of guitar solos and it's still sitting in my pile of crap to listen to (like, as opposed to being excited about it). Amazing, considering 3 of their main members have been there the whole time.

It comes down to this...They don't have to top Ride the Lightning with this one, but it better at least be comparable to the Testament/Death Angel albums from this year (and Warbringer's album, which I'm totally in love with ATM) I don't have time for *skip* *skip* *eh, kinda cool, but skip* *skip* *aw fuck it! recycle bin!* from a bunch of has-beens. *see Def Leppard and Song from the Sparkle Lounge...cringe*

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Aug 22, 2008 at 06:57 PM.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 06:50 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2008, 09:50 AM #5 of 33
Yeah, "The Day that Never Comes" doesn't sound too bad at all. It doesn't remind me of the old Metallica days, but it's pretty solid nonetheless.

I'm not expecting too much from this release, since I thought St. Anger was really lame. But damn will I be ecstatic if they can bring back their old sound. <3

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:20 PM #6 of 33
Hearing James Hetfield's voice on The Day That Never Comes makes me envision a bard in 16th century England prancing around playing a lute (e.g. the bard in Fable). This song strikes me as an effort to remind people of every facet of Metallica's history, good and bad (solos from a better era; vocals from the recent, shittier era).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Bernard Black

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:30 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2008, 12:30 AM #7 of 33
I have to say, the vocals leave a lot to desire. Musically it's alright, but vocally Hetfield seems very forced to me.

FELIPE NO
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:43 PM #8 of 33
I have to say, the vocals leave a lot to desire. Musically it's alright, but vocally Hetfield seems very forced to me.
Yeah, I just caught it...Honestly can't believe this is the same guy from the 80's (maybe he's lost his voice?) The last four minutes or so are cool though. I actually really liked the solos.

Heard Cyanide on youtube as well and...uh, *skip*.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 08:01 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2008, 06:01 PM #9 of 33
Black Album fan here...

I think Metallica's mistake is always trying to play one audience when they have two seperate fronts. They're mainstream now. Nobody likes mainstream thrash just on premise. Just forget the glory days, guys.

Actually, these two songs aren't that bad. Nothing spectacular, though, because like I said, they're trying to appeal to two different crowds with them. I might download it, though.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2008, 09:50 PM #10 of 33
Yeah, I just caught it...Honestly can't believe this is the same guy from the 80's (maybe he's lost his voice?)
This has been reported several times, but before the Black Album he did end up "blowing out" his voice.

BTW, I just noticed one of the tracks being titled "The Unforgiven III". Save us.

How ya doing, buddy?

Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2008, 04:19 AM #11 of 33
Yeah, when I saw the tracklist and "Unforgiven III" was on there, I groaned. Hate the second one. Never needed to happen. I need to give "The Day That Never Comes" another listen but I remember thinking it was ok. It picked up a little at least. As was said, I think Hetfield's vocals still leave more to be desired, especially when so much of the old days is defined by that.

Cyanide I actually like way better and have listened to a bunch of times, reminds me of a sort of cross between and justice and reload material, which doesn't really bother me because I'm a fan of all of their work, excluding about 95% of St. Anger. If the album ends up being a heavy alternative metal album as opposed to a thrash album, it won't bother me one bit.

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2008, 02:19 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2008, 12:19 PM #12 of 33
There should also be a poll as to who will download the album for the purpose of spite.

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2008, 04:49 PM #13 of 33
I mean, I'll download the thing and hope for the best based on their first four albums, but I won't keep it just for the sake of it being Metallica and I'll just get rid of it if it doesn't meet my expectations. If that happens, I hope its' inevitable success (whether it sucks or not) gives the other thrash bands out there motivation to kick it up a notch.

I think "playing to two audiences" is just a very kind way of saying, "you fuckers sold out".

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:19 AM #14 of 33
There should also be a poll as to who will download the album for the purpose of spite.
It's not a matter of spite at this point, it's a matter of, "Does Metallica deserve my money yet?"

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:30 AM #15 of 33
I will say that The Day That Never Comes has REALLY grown on me. I am getting increasingly excited for Death Magnetic and am hoping that the rest of the album is similar if not better.

But yeah, Unforgiven III? Man, that just annoys me.

FELIPE NO
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 01:57 PM 1 #16 of 33
I will say that The Day That Never Comes has REALLY grown on me. I am getting increasingly excited for Death Magnetic and am hoping that the rest of the album is similar if not better.

But yeah, Unforgiven III? Man, that just annoys me.
I can't imagine the reaction if they had Sad But True 2: Sadder and Truer on there.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 03:34 PM 1 #17 of 33
I can't imagine the reaction if they had Sad But True 2: Sadder and Truer on there.
Coming in 2011: Unforgiven IV: Even Less Forgiveness, The Day That Came, and Two

How ya doing, buddy?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 03:53 PM 1 #18 of 33
Coming in 2011: Unforgiven IV: Even Less Forgiveness, The Day That Came, and Two
"Oh, We Figured Out What That Monster Was"

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Bernard Black

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 05:21 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2008, 10:21 PM 1 #19 of 33
"The Named Feeling". Metallica, what happened to you ;__;

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 05:31 PM 1 #20 of 33
"Rode the Lightning"

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 06:00 PM #21 of 33
"Brightened!" (The exclamation point would be required)

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 06:07 PM 1 #22 of 33
"The Thing That Shouldn't Have Been But Was"
"Turn the Lights Back On"

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 06:16 PM #23 of 33
"God Didn't Actually Fail, We Just Re-wrote the Bible To Positively Reflect What Happened"

FELIPE NO

Bernard Black

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 06:20 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2008, 11:20 PM #24 of 33
"The house, conservatory and small ornamental garden that Jack Built".

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2008, 06:22 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2008, 04:22 PM #25 of 33
It will have been 10 years and a week since the release of ...And Justice For All by that point, and I'm hoping for a return to grace myself.

Actually, it would have been 20 years.

I'm not excited by this album. I have the first few albums and that's about enough for me for Metallica. I'd much rather support some of my other favorite bands. Granted I would like to see Metallica live, especially since they seem to playing everything from their first four albums I won't as it'll be too damned expensive.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] Metallica - Death Magnetic