Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] J-Pop: An Introduction (and discussion)

Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:06 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 08:06 AM #26 of 609
Haha, I managed to spend quite a deal of money on J-pop while I was studying there. Actually, probably more than I should have >_> But part of the fun of buying music there is looking for those used CD shops. I remember some of the best times I had in Shibuya and Sapporo were trying these dirt cheap CD stores (which, luckily, I did find eventually).

You'll definitely have to let us know how it goes while you're there. You'll also have to let me know if a H!P concert is 99% guys like the DVDs have been showing me.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:42 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 12:42 PM #27 of 609
I started watching MoMusu PVs on Google Videos a while ago, because I couldn't get enough of the hilarious "Japanese girls run away screaming from random things" series of video clips (lizard, Bob Sapp, The Ring). I eventually took a liking to the girls and their music (but mainly the girls), and at one point actually downloaded/watched the MiniMoni movie (what a waste :P ).

And then I found out about Shiina Ringo. Sweet shitake, I'm in love with this woman. I just spent the entire weekend watching her single and Tokyo Jihen PVs. She's just so different from anything I've ever heard, I can't get enough. It's no wonder they based a Guilty Gear character on her. And yet off-stage she seems so modest and polite in stereotypical Japanese fashion. I'm just really depressed she got rid of her mole (well, one of them), even thought it was a long time ago. I bet the reaction back then was like when Pamela Anderson got rid of her implants.

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:56 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 06:56 AM #28 of 609
Shiina Ringo does indeed rock, and hard at that. I'm loving the new Tokyo Jihen album lots and lots.

Rollins: Ha ha, will do. Well it certainly won't be 100% guys as the person I'd be going with is female.

Most amazing jew boots
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:40 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 01:40 AM #29 of 609
Originally Posted by OmagnusPrime
Shiina Ringo does indeed rock, and hard at that. I'm loving the new Tokyo Jihen album lots and lots.
I really ought to pick it up at some point when I have the cash. Or should I wait for the DVD instead? Hm...

What really strikes me about her PVs (although this might apply to a lot of other alt rock artists) is that there is very little dancing in any of them. It's all about the music, not how well she shakes her half-naked behind.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Dhsu; Mar 8, 2006 at 02:45 AM.
Rollins

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:47 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:47 AM #30 of 609
Well, Shiina Ringo PVs have never been about "dancing" but rather being creative and artsy. She has had some of the most striking and interesting videos out there. The PV for "Shuraba" was a little disturbing but definitely unforgetable.

She's definitely tops for me in the world of J-pop. Aside from her awesome original work, try and see if you can get her album of covers "Utaite Myori" which has her singing in a variety of languages and a couple of duets (including her amazing one with Hikaru Utada).

And yes, get Adult. Don't wait for the DVD. Just get it now, haha. It's worth it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:48 AM #31 of 609
Originally Posted by OmagnusPrime

Rollins: Ha ha, will do. Well it certainly won't be 100% guys as the person I'd be going with is female.
I got Adult about a week before it actually came out. I was a hero on Soulseek. Great album, but I think I liked their first album, Kyoiku (?) better.

Originally Posted by Dhsu
What really strikes me about her PVs (although this might apply to a lot of other alt rock artists) is that there is very little dancing in any of them. It's all about the music, not how well she shakes her half-naked behind.
I think it's more about conveying a message. Businesses and greed do exist, but the artists are much more involved in Japan when it comes to their music. Most artists write their own music and that's what makes them superior. It's real.

Anyway, ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION's new album, Fanclub, comes out in 8 days. I really don't know what to expect. Blue Train was great, World Apart wasn't that far behind, and the aired tracks from the album are 50/50. With Sol-fa being such a hit around the world, I think it's going to be really difficult for them to duplicate that success with this third album.

Nevertheless, I can't wait.

FELIPE NO
lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:18 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:18 PM #32 of 609
Originally Posted by Dhsu
I started watching MoMusu PVs on Google Videos a while ago, because I couldn't get enough of the hilarious "Japanese girls run away screaming from random things" series of video clips (lizard, Bob Sapp, The Ring). I eventually took a liking to the girls and their music (but mainly the girls), and at one point actually downloaded/watched the MiniMoni movie (what a waste :P ).

And then I found out about Shiina Ringo. Sweet shitake, I'm in love with this woman. I just spent the entire weekend watching her single and Tokyo Jihen PVs. She's just so different from anything I've ever heard, I can't get enough. It's no wonder they based a Guilty Gear character on her. And yet off-stage she seems so modest and polite in stereotypical Japanese fashion. I'm just really depressed she got rid of her mole (well, one of them), even thought it was a long time ago. I bet the reaction back then was like when Pamela Anderson got rid of her implants.

its sad but thats how my friend got into Morning Musume too
that ring vid is too popular haha
and i agree the mini moni movie was trash but anything with mari in it gets a A+ from me ^__^

yes more shiina / tokyo Jihen fans
she indeeds rock her vids always has me in tranced position O.O
but i didn't know I-No was inspired by her till you said that
you learn something everyday

Most amazing jew boots
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:41 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 05:41 PM #33 of 609
Heh, yup. Same guitar, even. I can't help but wonder if Quentin Tarantino didn't get a little inspiration from "Tsumi to Batsu" for Kill Bill as well.

Very...interesting forum name, by the way.

Most amazing jew boots
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:59 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 09:59 PM #34 of 609
Dhsu: have you ordered ADULT yet? If not I'll further suggest that you do so right away. Seriously, it's great.

Actually, I'm hoping tomorrow will be new music day for me with YUI's debut album arriving along with debut singles from MAY and MARIA (the latter being the band ZONE's Maiko is part of). Fingers crossed for that.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 05:47 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 04:47 PM #35 of 609
Unfortunately, I haven't...I'm a bit torn, as I'm on a budget, and I've been really wanting to get the aforementioned "Utaite Myori" for a while as well. I'm thinking about just accumulating enough funds for both albums, so I can save on shipping. Although by that time, ADULT VIDEO (which looks like it'll be roughly the same price as the CD) will probably be out, and I might just end up getting that instead.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Dhsu; Mar 12, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:02 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:02 PM #36 of 609
Ah, OK. Yes I remember being on a tighter budget (hoorah for jobs) and can appreciate the situation. If it makes more sense to wait and get it do that, but do get it, it's a fab album, it really is (but then so is "Utaite Myori" if for Shiina and Hikki's duet alone).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:20 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:20 PM #37 of 609
BTW, I find it interesting that so many pop idols start out in bands or supergroups as a stepping stone for eventually becoming solo artists, while Shiina Ringo actually quit her solo career to recruit a band. Or is this phenomenon actually a lot more common than I realize?

I was speaking idiomatically.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:09 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 09:09 AM #38 of 609
What people going from solo to join a band? No, that's reasonably uncommon I'd have to say. Certainly it was the first instance of it I've ever seen, though I don't doubt it's happened in the past at some point. As you say, usually it's the other way around.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rawkus
♥ 矢口真里 ♥

Member 577

Level 3.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:03 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 02:03 PM #39 of 609
So there are some really big releases left for this month. What's everyone looking forward to?

Honestly, I can't wait for the Hinoi Team album. I'm really tempted to pick up the CD+DVD version for the extra videos, but I may stick with just the normal version. I just hope that every damn song doesn't have Korikki in it. Also, Tomiko Van's solo debut album out on the 28th looks like it's shaping up to be great. Hold Me was a big surprise to me.

FELIPE NO

Formerly WhiteRob.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:38 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 08:38 PM #40 of 609
Yeah, I've put in an order for Tomiko Van's solo debut (a bit of a whim choice, but I'm confident it'll be good).

Today I had my new musics arrive and I must say I'm totally in love with May's WONDERLAND single. Brilliant stuff. If anyone's interested I might YouSendIt or something.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:27 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 03:27 PM #41 of 609
Originally Posted by Rawkus
I just hope that every damn song doesn't have Korikki in it.
That man gives me nightmares.

Although to be honest, I don't really get what Hinoi Team is all about either. It all sounds like hyper epilepsy-inducing DDR music to me. O_o

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:44 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 01:44 PM #42 of 609
I'm mainly looking forward to Tomiko Van's album as well. I was impressed with her latest PV, and I'm very interested in hearing what her other songs will be like.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:04 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 10:04 PM #43 of 609
Actually the other album I'm really looking forward to is Rie fu's second. I'm hoping that will be really good.

Oh, and with regards to another part of today's delivery, I had never heard anything by YUI before today. Don't ask me what made me buy her album, just felt like taking a chance on it. Well I'm sure glad I did, it's a very good album. I need to give it a few more listens to get a real feel for the songs, but first impressions are very good.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:10 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 02:10 PM #44 of 609
That's strangely how I felt about YUI's album. I didn't think too much of it when I heard the whole thing for the first time. I later appreciated the songs when going through it a second time, and I like her style. There are many tracks I enjoyed from her album, and I don't find it necessary to skip songs like I might do on others.

How ya doing, buddy?
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:01 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 08:01 AM #45 of 609
I love YUI. Ever since I heard her ending song on Bleach ("LIFE"), I was addicted to her voice and style. Months later, her stuff is still regularly played from my music players, and her released album last month was <3.

How ya doing, buddy?
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 01:24 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 06:24 PM #46 of 609
I've spent the day listening to, more or less, YUI and May alternately. Still loving the WONDERLAND single and FROM ME TO YOU grows on me with every listen, which I would have thought tough to achieve. I'm loving the whole album, there's not one song I'm even remotely tempted to skip. <3

Yamamanama: Don't know of anything off the top of my head. Sorry.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rollins

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:15 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 12:15 AM #47 of 609
Insanity!

Ayumi has officially become Japan's most successful female pop artist with her new single "Startin'/Born to Be" reaching the top spot on Oricon. It's her 26th to reach the top spot, which puts her past Matsuda Seiko.

Whether you love her or hate her, she's definitely been an institution in the J-pop world.

FELIPE NO

Scottie Wolfe
The Social Riot Machine

Member 3101

Level 1.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:30 AM #48 of 609
Nice to see other Jpop fans out there! Quite an awesome opening post, Omagnus. Very detailed!

I'm sure lots of folks will be looking into stuff they've never heard thanks to it.

I'm more of a J-Rocker, but I do enjoy my J-Pop stuff as well. My personal favorites are Do As Infinity, Aikawa Nanase and Ayumi H. (although I enjoy the Ayu Trance remixes more than her actual original work)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Scottie Wolfe
Biographer/Profiler/Translator for JaME

***Visit JaME for up-to-date JROCK info!***
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:32 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 07:32 AM #49 of 609
Originally Posted by Rollins
Whether you love her or hate her, she's definitely been an institution in the J-pop world.
Yeah, very much so. And whether you love or hate her you really have to admit that that's impressive. Good for Ayu.

Most amazing jew boots
cos360
binary troglodyte

Member 2561

Level 2.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 04:33 AM #50 of 609
I really like Onitsuka Chihiro, but I haven't heard anything from her in awhile. Does anyone know if she's doing anything new. I heard she was changing her sound to be more rock than pop. Verification please.

Oh, and Kokia is great. "Watashi no taiyou" is really nice. Reminds me of the sea.

Before you criticize someone,
You should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them,
You're a mile away and you have their shoes.

tu me fais rire :lolsign:

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] J-Pop: An Introduction (and discussion)