Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Random question on God

wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:24 PM #1 of 74
Random question on God

OK, so I'm not really doing this to get an answer from the atheists out there but here goes:

Does God ever do stuff that we would consider to be "evil" but it's "right"? You know?

It's sick to think of, but hard not to.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:25 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 07:25 PM #2 of 74
Well, he's killed lots of people. So there's that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:31 PM #3 of 74
are you talking about God killing people or people killing people because of God? There's a distinction.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:43 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 07:43 PM #4 of 74
No, god has killed enough himself. Think Old Testament.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:47 PM #5 of 74
Yeah, but OT is just as much people killing people because of God. Plus OT is a lot more stories to me than definite history. But I'm not Jewish.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Smoodle
The real NanaMan

Member 1713

Level 11.34

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:04 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 09:04 PM #6 of 74
First you have to define God. God as in a religious God? If that's the case, "God" has been the leading cause of murder for the entire world. More people have killed each other in the name of "God" than anything else ... and why? Because MY "God" is better than YOUR "God".

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:41 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 11:41 PM #7 of 74
My god could beat up your god mentality. If you're talking about the christian God, then yes. Think of the story of Noah's ark. He killed many many people with that flood. Essentially, everyone except Noah and his family, and two of each animal. He did it to rid the earth of evil, and let it start fresh. So in a way, it was an evil thing to do, but it was considered neccessary and right.

FELIPE NO
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:47 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 11:47 PM #8 of 74
Even if God "weren't" responsible for millions of people being impaled, burned alive, drowned, slashed, eaten by lions, quartered, stoned, beheaded, kicked in the nuts and humiliated in public, the fact still remains that if he does exist, he has provided no reasoning as to why it is that we must suffer, nor does he find it helpful to provide crucial insight as to how we might evade death and famine the world over. By not providing this information, he is indirectly murdering billions.

So by existing, he fails at being a benevolent God and by not existing he fails as well...though I'll take those odds over a God who finds such pleasure in the suffering of his children. God failed. Man failed.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Phoenix X
Samurai

Member 10673

Level 8.06

Aug 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:23 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 01:53 AM #9 of 74
Capo, for the record, everyone dies, and Allah made it so. It's pointless to blame the universe itself for death, just as it's pointless to personify it. That's why I prefer Tao. God implies masculinity, and I hardly think it's prudent to theorize that the very universe has genitals of any sort.

Besides that, I firmly believe that religious texts are propaganda, and really have no basis in reality whatsoever. Something like Allah may exist, but the Allah of reality and the Allah of myth are hardly related.

Words like God, Allah, Brahman, etc. can only really be used to describe the singularity and movement of the Cosmos. The 'verse doesn't make choices, nor is it capable of action. It just IS. The universe is a matrix of possibility. Every possible moment already exists, and we as humans choose which moments to experience. That's free will in a nutshell. Notice that we don't directly control each individual cell in our body. They are free to go about their business without our conscious interference.

Good and evil are human constructs. Things happen, we compare them to all other previous events, then we place them somewhere on the imaginary good-evil spectrum. That is why personifying the universe is backward and, IMO, downright blasphemous. Believing in a paternal figure in the sky is what sets the stage for all the killing and manipulation in "his" name, or rather in the name of the patriarch who claims to be heaven-sent (Bush much?). It's that personification that maintains the patriarchies that are destroying our world and enslaving our people.

The more you think about unanswerable questions, the more beauty you allow to pass by unnoticed. That's the beauty of organized religion: it keeps people distracted, and takes away their desire to ponder IMPORTANT questions like, y'know, those regarding authorities and freedom.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as
it really is than to persist in delusion,
however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan

Last edited by Phoenix X; Jun 20, 2007 at 01:30 PM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:49 AM 3 #10 of 74
I say Allah. God implies masculinity
Really. And Allah is of course widely acknowledged to not be male-gendered which is why gender equality is so commonplace in fundamentalist Islam since WAAAAAIT A MINUTE

"Allah" is a specific deity with a specific (ostensible) history; this history includes the insistence that Now Is The Time For All Good Men To Chop Up Their Dicks, the Sodom Affair, My Prophets Should Definitely Have Children For Wives and of course I Promise Not To Ever Flood The World To Death Again. In every ostensibly historic record of these theoretical events, Allah/Jehovah/Yahweh/Yahu-Wahu (ALL THE SAME GUY) is "HE". Not "it". Not "the nebulous deity". "HE". Allah is a specific entity, and he's completely a dude. "God" is a general term. How is the former MORE generic than the latter.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Jun 20, 2007 at 12:55 AM.
Phoenix X
Samurai

Member 10673

Level 8.06

Aug 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 01:19 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 02:49 PM #11 of 74
Quote:
Besides that, I firmly believe that religious texts are propaganda, and really have no basis in reality whatsoever. Allah may exist, but the Allah of reality and the Allah of myth are hardly related.
Did you happen to miss this part of my post? Why would you use writings I've already stated such an opinion on to prove your point?

I looked it up on Wikipedia, and you're right, Allah is actually a masculine word. Thanks for pointing out such an obvious hole, they're not always that easy to see in first-person. I guess Tao is a much better word for it.

However, 'God' is far from a general term. Even 'god' is masculine, as evidenced by the existence of the word "goddess". I guess the term comes from that idiotic notion of the Trinity, the idea that the unity of the cosmos is somehow difficult to understand. Yeah, when you have three gods but claim to be monotheistic, I can see where you'd be confused. Sorry guys, but Jesus was just a really cool dude who figured out some neat tricks you can do with the right understanding of the quantum field, and there's no disconnected man in the clouds to pray to. Holy Spirit almost fits the bill, but I've always been under the impression that it's only supposed to exist in people, while I'm pretty sure that the all-pervading force of the universe would exist in inanimate objects just as much.

OK, I guess I have to start calling it Tao again. But Allah was so much fun to say! OK, I'll edit my original post so that it's less illogical.

-Carl Sagan
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 01:26 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 11:26 AM #12 of 74
Sorry guys, but Jesus was just a really cool dude who figured out some neat tricks you can do with the right understanding of the quantum field,
Wait what?

Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 01:39 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 01:39 PM #13 of 74
Idiotic notion of the Trinity, the idea that the unity of the cosmos is somehow difficult to understand. Yeah, when you have three gods but claim to be monotheistic, I can see where you'd be confused.
My religion believes in the trinity. But its not so much that there is three different gods. There is one god, with three different representations. The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit. Another aspect of trinity is that he has three characteristics. All knowing, All seeing, and He is everywhere.

Quote:
Sorry guys, but Jesus was just a really cool dude who figured out some neat tricks you can do with the right understanding of the quantum field, and there's no disconnected man in the clouds to pray to. Holy Spirit almost fits the bill, but I've always been under the impression that it's only supposed to exist in people, while I'm pretty sure that the all-pervading force of the universe would exist in inanimate objects just as much.
The holy spirit exists in people. Jesus was a man, and he was also God, and God is the holy spirit, and thus Jesus was the holy spirit, but also a man. Hence, the holy spirit is in man.

Phoenix X
Samurai

Member 10673

Level 8.06

Aug 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 02:31 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 04:01 PM #14 of 74
RR, I think there's a certain understanding of the nature of the universe that any person can reach with enough effort that allows them to do things that were previously unthinkable. There's more going on in the universe than we know right now, and it's possible for human minds to comprehend more than they currently/usually do. Everything is still theory, but it's not like we know anything about Jesus for sure anyway, and I'll be the first to admit that I've got no proof.

Smelnick, you're entitled to your belief. If it makes sense to you, then go for it. Personally, I think it's needlessly confusing to the minds of those who don't already know, and I could never understand why it was ever mentioned. The Tao was present in Jesus, just as it's present in all humans, so I don't see why people give praise to Jesus after God issued a commandment that said "worship me and only me". It's hard for a young mind to grasp, which is why I won't be bringing my future kids up as Christians. Don't get me wrong though, I'll still teach them about it, I just won't say "this one is right, this one is wrong".

Personally, I believe that all humans are equally divine, and that looking at Jesus as anything more than a prophet (which I think is also an ability we all possess in varying degrees) and an example for right behavior really takes away from that.

-Carl Sagan
Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 02:39 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 02:39 PM #15 of 74

Smelnick, you're entitled to your belief. If it makes sense to you, then go for it. Personally, I think it's needlessly confusing to the minds of those who don't already know, and I could never understand why it was ever mentioned. The Tao was present in Jesus, just as it's present in all humans, so I don't see why people give praise to Jesus after God issued a commandment that said "worship me and only me". It's hard for a young mind to grasp, which is why I won't be bringing my future kids up as Christians. Don't get me wrong though, I'll still teach them about it, I just won't say "this one is right, this one is wrong".
Its not so much that we 'worship' Christ. According to 'the bible', if you accept jesus into your heart. accept the fact that he died to relieve us of the burden of our sins. If we believe that he is the son of God. If we believe and accept all this just on faith, then we are considered 'saved' and can then go to heaven.

I do have my doubts about the religion I follow. But I figure, why chance it. Maybe it is true, maybe it isn't. At least this way I'm covering my bases in case it is true. And at the same time, I build integrity, good morals, and I have a healthy community of people who support me at my church.

FELIPE NO
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 03:12 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 12:12 PM #16 of 74
Capo, for the record, everyone dies, and Allah made it so.
I'm aware of this. I was referring to the numerous instances in the Old Testament where god sees fit to end the life of whomever he chooses.

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:04 PM #17 of 74
Again, Old Testament: stories. I mean, for christ's sake, there's "world flood" stories that predate (or came around at about the same time) as Jewish civilization.

If it's not just stories (and/or "world flood" being a small portion while other peoples were spared), then there's a shitload of retarded inbred people in the Bible.

Smoodle
The real NanaMan

Member 1713

Level 11.34

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:13 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 05:13 PM #18 of 74
If there is a higher power, it would probably just be whatever started the universe ... and it isn't an actual living thing. God is EVERYTHING if it used itself to create the universe. WE are God. Everything you see is God. So, I guess you could say the universe is God, and we are just a pathetically small portion of it. Religous beliefs are based on some of the most arrogant prospects. In the vast, unfathomably GARGANTUAN universe, people have this weird assumption that we are extremely important in some way - and some invisible being is concentrating all of it's mental energy towards this miniscule speck of sand we call Earth to inflict pain and misery to those who don't worship. That's unrealistic.

Most amazing jew boots
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:26 PM #19 of 74
You know, I honestly wasn't searching for the atheist/agnostic opinion, what with the actual use of the word God that wasn't in quotation marks in the opening post, but, hey, let's have someone bitch about how "God doesn't exist" in a thread that presupposes his existence.

Last edited by wvlfpvp; Jun 20, 2007 at 08:37 PM.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:51 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2007, 05:51 PM #20 of 74
Again, Old Testament: stories. I mean, for christ's sake, there's "world flood" stories that predate (or came around at about the same time) as Jewish civilization.

If it's not just stories (and/or "world flood" being a small portion while other peoples were spared), then there's a shitload of retarded inbred people in the Bible.
I don't know exactly how you want me to attack this question; I was born and raised Jewish.

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 09:07 PM #21 of 74
I know, Capo. It's how I, personally, as a homosexual and a Christian, deal with a lot of the Old Law and OT in general.

My springing-off point is that there are two separate accounts of creation within Genesis, as well as my family's acceptance of scientific evidence of Earth's history, that much of the OT is a mix of history and stories, with my personal belief tending toward more of the end of story. Either that or God fucked up when he created the world first, and I don't accept that.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:19 PM 1 #22 of 74
However, 'God' is far from a general term. Even 'god' is masculine, as evidenced by the existence of the word "goddess".
Language is fluid

The word "comedienne" exists but no reasonable person insists that "comedian" only refers to men

Smoodle
The real NanaMan

Member 1713

Level 11.34

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:57 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2007, 08:57 PM #23 of 74
You know, I honestly wasn't searching for the atheist/agnostic opinion, what with the actual use of the word God that wasn't in quotation marks in the opening post, but, hey, let's have someone bitch about how "God doesn't exist" in a thread that presupposes his existence.
I'm talking RELIGION, dumbass. There's a difference between the existance of a God and a made-up fairy tales to control people. Another case in point on how arrogant religious people can be. Have it your way. Continue to live without questioning whatever bullshit has been fed to you. You don't want my opinion, I don't want yours. Fuck you.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Smoodle; Jun 21, 2007 at 11:01 PM.
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:42 PM #24 of 74
The point of this thread isn't RELIGION, dumbass.

Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:45 PM #25 of 74
If I were religiously inclined, I might bring up that God caused (because, let's be honest, if he's all-powerful he's responsible through action or inaction for everything) the holocaust, which was undeniably evil, but that its occurrence led to the establishment of the Jewish settlement in Israel, which if I remember my whacko-nutjob-christianism properly is necessary for the second coming of Jesus, which is good.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Random question on God