Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Looking for Upgrade Solutions

metavian
Carob Nut

Member 1717

Level 6.19

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:10 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 12:10 PM #1 of 10
Looking for Upgrade Solutions

Hi guys and gals
It has been a while since I really upgraded my PC and I am looking into it again the only problem is I'm not sure what to do.

Proc: P4 2.8Ghz Socket 478
Mobo: Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
Video: ATI-9800 256Mb Pro AGP
RAM: 1Gb 2x512Mb Samsung PC3200 DDR

those are the main parts. I am happy with the Hard Drive situation at the moment using the old IDE connections but that will be later. What I really need is a PC that will run WoW better with all the settings cranked. I have a feeling that it is going to cost me new Proc,Mobo,Vid & Ram but I would like every one's suggestions just tell me what you would do. and please be resonable I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Check out this neat Media Player that I programmed
Jason's Media Player Version: 4.21

Looking for MP3's check out my site
Metavian's FTP
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 03:12 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 01:12 PM #2 of 10
You're good in everything but the video card. It's two generations old and showing it. Right now, you have two options: future-proof and get a new mobo that supports PCI-E (and if I were you, I would also switch to an AMD system and throw out the Pentium, they're absolute shit for gaming), or you could save up 2-300 bucks and buy either a 6800GS or a 7800GS. The 7800GS is current-gen (which is almost exclusively PCI-E), and is pretty much the last AGP card that will come out, whereas the 6800GS is from the last generation, and is more or less an underclocked 6800 Ultra (which for quite some time was the best card available).

Future-proofing is more expensive, and Intel and AMD are coming out with new socket form factors, which would more or less make future-proofing pointless right now. So unless you wanna get a PCI mobo and a 7900 GT (which is the BEST card at or under 300 bucks, bar none), just save up for the 7800GS.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
metavian
Carob Nut

Member 1717

Level 6.19

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 08:15 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 09:15 PM #3 of 10
thanks excellent advice. any one else?

Most amazing jew boots

Metavian's FTP
Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 06:18 PM #4 of 10
I would just sell the entire thing and build something new. If you want PCI-E, you're going to need a new motherboard, and if you're upgrading your motherboard, you should upgrade to a different CPU. That's a new CPU, motherboard, and video card, so why not upgrade the RAM to 2GB, as well? Unfortunately, I haven't been following new hardware recently, so I'm not sure WHEN a good time would be to do all this, but hopefully someone else can help you with that.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:46 PM #5 of 10
Waiting until Intel releases it's Conroe processors (Early Q3, no firm date) would be the best time. It'll make for massive price cuts on current products, introduce newer better products, and likely prompt some kind of pricing based move by AMD. So your bang for your buck will be higher, and the high end will be higher.

It looks to be the best time in years to get a new machine.

I was speaking idiomatically.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:09 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 10:09 PM #6 of 10
Originally Posted by PUG1911
Waiting until Intel releases it's Conroe processors (Early Q3, no firm date) would be the best time. It'll make for massive price cuts on current products, introduce newer better products, and likely prompt some kind of pricing based move by AMD. So your bang for your buck will be higher, and the high end will be higher.

It looks to be the best time in years to get a new machine.
Agreed, Socket 478 CPUs are looking long in tooth. But if you do decide to jump the gun and get an Intel CPU now, I suggest looking around and seeing what a good price/performace match is (I'm an AMD fan, so I haven't been following Intel's CPU releases since 2001...)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
metavian
Carob Nut

Member 1717

Level 6.19

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 08:11 AM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 09:11 AM #7 of 10
wow all these suggestions thanks all. I'll have to keep all this in mind while I shop around for a good set. but so far it looks like every one is saying AMD and as I haven't followed AMD as close as I should I am now wondering what the best setup to challange / surpass my current setup would be and be more geared toward a more future ready pc.

FELIPE NO

Metavian's FTP
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:28 PM #8 of 10
AMD is rocking pretty well right now. If I were to build a machine it'd likely be an X2 3800+ machine. Best bang for your buck while providing more than enough power for whatever you want to do. But if you can wait until Intel puts out their new stuff you'll either save money, get better performance, or both.

For Intel, the only CPU I would suggest is the Pentium D 820. It's good value for money, and a great value CPU. It will not compete in any way with the X2, but it's cheaper. Since you appear to play games, then the extra performance is worth it to you, so I'd skip the Pentiums.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:39 PM #9 of 10
..as for the video card, i'd either recommend the x850xt for the budget-minded gamer, or the geforce 7900gt for the gamer on somewhat of a budget, but with more cash.

too bad the 7900 isn't available yet, but when it is, it'll be a great card for a great price.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:56 PM #10 of 10
x850xt is good for the money. 7900gt is a bit too fucking pricy.

I would NOT sell your whole computer. Not worth it. If you want to run WoW cracked up to the highest, and any other game in the world for that matter, all you really need right now is a video card. Save the rest of your money for a day when it really will make a difference to get everything brand new (I.E. 1-2 years from now).

For the most part, you don't need to buy the best stuff on the market once you hit a certain threshold - it's just a waste of money.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Looking for Upgrade Solutions