Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Windows XP Installation Problem
Closed Thread

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2007, 10:53 PM Local time: May 24, 2007, 08:53 PM #1 of 5
Windows XP Installation Problem

I had to format my hard drive due to a virus, then I decided to get a new one to replace it and slave the old one to recover my data. Now when I try to reinstall XP I keep getting this message:
Quote:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

***Technical information: 0x0000007B (0xF7CAF524, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
I'm getting the same thing on both my old and new HDs, with multiple editions of XP. I followed the steps as well as I could but I keep getting the same message: any idea what would be causing this, and what I could do to fix it?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
ctu
...and... loving it

Member 439

Level 19.07

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2007, 11:50 PM #2 of 5
Strange you tried it with a few xp cd's and get the same thing? have you tried installing xp with \out the old hard drive connected? If that dose not help then the only thing I can think of is a prob with your cd rom drive.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

(\__/)(\__/)(\__/) (\__/)(\__/)(\__/)(\__/) (\__/)
(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)( ='.'=)
(")-(")(")-(")(")-(") (")-(")(")-(")(")-(")(")-(")(")-(")
Sparhawke
Scientific progress goes Boink

Member 338

Level 17.02

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 01:30 PM Local time: May 25, 2007, 11:30 AM #3 of 5
Microsoft's support for that error is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103.
unfortunely it could be a boot sector virus, hw conflict, or boot sector error. I agree with ctu, try having only one hard drive plugged in when you install. if you still have problems, if you can, try putting the hard drives in another computer as a secondary and do a virus scan and chkdsk on them.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 07:14 PM Local time: May 26, 2007, 08:14 AM #4 of 5
I would personally recommend installing Windows on a freshly fully formatted partition, and see if anything like this crops up.

If it does, then we're squarely into hardware territory. To my knowledge, I don't think boot sector viruses can survive a full format...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 05:43 PM Local time: May 27, 2007, 03:43 PM #5 of 5
I did some research and I think I found the problem. In order to install anything on a SATA drive, I'm pretty sure my PC's chipset needs additional drviers from the Dell website. The problem with that is, the application with the drivers will only unpack to a floppy drive (and nothing else) and I don't have a functional floppy drive in the house. Can someone do me a big favor and extract them? The application is here (or here if you don't feel like registering).

I'd also like to know the name of a good application for making bootable CDs if anyone can recommend one.

Edit: Problem solved, closing.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by kuttlas; Jun 8, 2007 at 04:33 AM.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Windows XP Installation Problem