Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Super Mario Galaxy Audio Journal

Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:55 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 12:55 PM #1 of 10
Super Mario Galaxy Audio Journal

Some people asked that I do an audio journal thing for Super Mario Galaxy after reading my series on Metroid Prime 3. Well, here it is. I may be stuck at one entry (a lot of music is being reused at this point), but I just may decide to go back and write about some of the music I couldnt fit into the first entry. Let me know what you think!

Super Mario Galaxy Audio Journal.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Arcubalis; Nov 14, 2007 at 04:03 PM.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:05 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 10:05 AM #2 of 10
I'm about halfway through the game right now (I think -- I have 29 stars, and I hear you only need 60 to beat it), but I can easily say this is the best Mario soundtrack I've heard. I know the orchestral tracks are getting a lot of attention, and rightly so, they have great melodies. However, even the sequenced tracks are excellent, and the instrument quality is better than anything I recall hearing from first-party Nintendo titles in the past. I don't know if I've come across a single bad music track.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:27 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 10:27 AM #3 of 10
I would say again that the kiddie tracks that accompany the mini-games are nothing to write home about, but yeah, all the "real" music is great. It's really a top notch soundtrack. I hope they release it!

Most amazing jew boots
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:31 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 11:31 AM #4 of 10
Yeah, I'm 26 stars into it and this is already my favorite Mario soundtrack of all time. It's just so giddily nostalgic and masterfully orchestrated that one has to stand up and take notice while you play the game. I also hope it sees a release, even if it's foreign.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 04:14 AM #5 of 10
I would say again that the kiddie tracks that accompany the mini-games are nothing to write home about, but yeah, all the "real" music is great. It's really a top notch soundtrack. I hope they release it!
Though you're right about those soundtracks, a bunch of them are remixes of older themes. My favorite one is definitely the Super Mario 3 2nd level theme.

My favorite song in the entire game is either the Battlerock galaxy's theme or the super-epic Bowser boss music. I want a rip of this, damnit... though it'll be hard to do.

The interactive music thing is spot-on. When you're moving the cursor over the galaxies in the select screens, the sound effects are all in-tune with the background music-- they play notes in the same key as the music is in. This is true also of the giant yellow/blue question tiles in many levels. I can't really say enough about the music in this game!

Most amazing jew boots
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:46 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2007, 07:46 AM #6 of 10
Hm, I wouldn't say the SMB 3 1-2 song is a mini-game track, as it accompanies its own level later in the game (ice waterfalls). Anyway, there were a few old tunes used in the mini-games, but a lot of it was new stuff.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
trackjacket
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 22470

Level 13.94

May 2007

Old Nov 16, 2007, 06:20 PM #7 of 10
The interactive music thing is spot-on. When you're moving the cursor over the galaxies in the select screens, the sound effects are all in-tune with the background music-- they play notes in the same key as the music is in. This is true also of the giant yellow/blue question tiles in many levels. I can't really say enough about the music in this game!
The interactive music will definitely be a hassle to record if anyone's intending to rip the game. I was really, really impressed with how they handled the interactive elements of the Bowser fight. It felt and sounded quite majestic and epic.

I also have to resound the sentiments that some of the midi music isn't that great. Some is, though. Particularly, when you're selecting your file at the beginning of the game, is just one of the examples; IMO, at least. I also liked the little tutorial planet with the rabbits, and, of course, the Super Mario Bros. 3 remixed music.

Also, did anyone else notice how as you unlock more of the domes (via the grand stars, or whatever they're called) in the hub-world, that the music for the hub changes? I thought that was a real neat touch. At first, the music is almost all midi, but as you progress, so too does the orchestra.

I'm not finished the game yet, but right now I'd probably place it below Super Mario 64's soundtrack. Of course, it's hard to compete with Koji Kondo, as the guy is incredibly talented at creating catchy/memorable tracks.

FELIPE NO
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 08:16 PM #8 of 10
Nice job on the journal, Jayson.

45 stars in now, and I'm definitely enjoying the music. My favorites would have to be the Title Screen music, the ethereal Space Junk galaxy music, the first major orchestral level theme, and the Comet Observatory background music. It was also neat to hear an orchestral version of the
Spoiler:
Airship theme from SMB 3.

Too much usage of the underground theme, though.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Nov 16, 2007 at 08:27 PM.
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Nov 17, 2007, 01:58 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2007, 10:58 PM #9 of 10
Haha, yeah, a lot of underground theme... and thanks for the feedback, guys! It means a lot to me, and the people at Nintendo seemed to like the article as well.

I would say that there was an announcement today regarding an OFFICIAL SOUNDTRACK RELEASE!

Before you crap your pants, know it's only for Japanese Club Nintendo members.. bleh:

News item here:
Mario Galaxy Soundtrack Announced.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Nov 17, 2007, 06:04 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2007, 04:04 AM 1 #10 of 10
There's a rip of SMG music of some sort floating about on the internets already. Dunno if it's the actual CD or not, but it's comprehensive enough I guess (I'm not even halfway through the game yet so I can't tell for sure).

Anyway, for those interested: Bigupload — 2000Mb Free File Transfer, Hosting & Backup Storage Provider.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Super Mario Galaxy Audio Journal