Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Forgotten Realms

Ingvar
Wark!

Member 330

Level 2.74

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:48 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:48 PM #1 of 14
Forgotten Realms

Do you know these books? do you like it? if yes, what have you read?
I have read a lot of books of this collection and specially the books of R.A.Salvatore. I really love the stories of the dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden. I think he is my favorite character. I am reading the last book of "The Hunter's Blades trilogy", it's "The Two Sword" and it is excellent! I enjoy to read the different battles, friendship stories and all the experiences of each characters.
What do you think about this books. Let speak about it and say me what do you like and enjoy about it...

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Ingvar; Mar 12, 2006 at 04:53 PM.
Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 06:18 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 06:18 PM #2 of 14
I found them alright, but now that I'm older, I do find them too...simple to read, much like reading Eddings now. I just don't find them satisfying anymore. They seemed to be good years ago, but they haven't stood the test of time for me. I found Drizzt to be a good character, Wulfgar as well and Entreri, but Catti I found ultimately very flat as a character, the same as Bruener. Regis...I dunno. He gets better as the books go on, but there's still too much sameness with other halfling/hobbit/kender types.

I have read most of the books, other than the books after A Thousand Orcs. It's good for a first read, but I find re-reading them is not worth it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:43 PM #3 of 14
I outgrew those books years and years ago.

Entreri is still the ultimate badass, however. I can't believe someone so untalented as Salvatore came up with someone so fucking cool.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:50 PM #4 of 14
Originally Posted by Morrigan
I outgrew those books years and years ago.
Did you also outgrow Lord of the Rings?

You do know that Lord of the Rings is indeed a children's story, right?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Gr|M
Maestro

Member 2175

Level 13.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:34 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 06:34 PM #5 of 14
I'm a huge fan of the Drizzt books saga. Always will be favorites of mine.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 09:04 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 11:34 PM #6 of 14
I first read them ages and ages ago, and I still read the new ones when they come out in paperback. Though honestly, Drizzt's adventures don't thrill me as much any more. Reading about Salvatore's characters is like having a fun little romp with old friends, so there's still some appeal on that personal level. But barring Entreri and Jarlaxle's adventures, the books have been kind of unspectacular lately. The only thing the Hunter's Blade books had going for them was the last ten pages or so of The Two Swords, when...
Spoiler:
...Catti-brie and Drizzt finally get together. ABOUT. BLOODY. TIME.
In the latest short story in Realms of the Elves, I was worlds more interested in...
Spoiler:
Tos'un's
...character development than in Drizzt's.

Still loving Entreri and Jarlaxle, though. Can't wait for Road of the Patriarch next October. It's going to finally expose Entreri's past, which is bound to make for some interesting reading.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
Ingvar
Wark!

Member 330

Level 2.74

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:05 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 04:05 PM #7 of 14
cool!

I started to read this books few years ago (i am not sure how many, 3 years minimum), it is not very famous in France, maybe because we dont hear a lot of things about it and it is very long to translate it in french (I am reading the hunter's blades trilogy in english because there is just the thousand orcs which is already translated). I agree about Entreri and Jarlaxle, they are very intriguing and interesting. I will read more about them, which book can you advise for me?
But, for the moment, Drizzt do'urden is still my favorite character...

FELIPE NO
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:34 PM #8 of 14
Originally Posted by Reznor
Did you also outgrow Lord of the Rings?

You do know that Lord of the Rings is indeed a children's story, right?
You're not *seriously* comparing a timeless classic of literature to the drivel Salvatore mass-produces yearly, now are you?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS
6C. Kobold's Kitchen

Member 773

Level 21.70

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 02:55 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 02:55 PM #9 of 14
Oh leave the troll be he's just trying to stir up indignant Tolkien fans.

Back when I was about 15 I read the I think Giants of Twighlight Vale and Cleric Quintuplet series and they were pretty enjoyable but on the simple side of things. Certianly not any worse than 90% of the pulp fantasy that gets churned out and a fair bit better than most of it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lady, I was gonna cut you some slack, cause you're a major mythological figure but now you've just gone nuts!
Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 03:12 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 03:12 PM #10 of 14
I was always facinated with the Ravenloft series about 10 years ago, but my friends were all about the Dragonlance series. As far as real template campagining went, we were fans of City of Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, and Al-Quadiem (sp?). I wish I could go back and read those books again, but most of the stories I remember are pretty shallow compared to some of the stuff outside of D&D that you can find today.

But I'll never forget the end of I, Strahd, Memoirs of a Vampire. That was pretty classic.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 03:38 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2006, 06:08 PM #11 of 14
Originally Posted by BigHairyFeet
Anyone have any good fantasy series they'd recommend? I read the first 3 books of the Robert Jordan series (The Eye of the World was the first one I think). I've meant to keep going, but I owe the library 65 bucks right now, so I have to pay that first to get it out .
I'd recommend abandoning the Wheel of Time books. Just walk away, right now. Spare yourself the agony of reaching book eight or nine and finally realising that you wasted all those hours reading one of the most wretched, clichéd, dragged-out fantasy series of all time.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.

Last edited by Amanda; Mar 23, 2006 at 03:40 PM.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:12 PM #12 of 14
Heh, I'm not even a Lord of the Rings fan. I find the books kind of boring. But it's undeniably great literature, for obvious reasons (and simply being influential is far from the only one). Salvatore is 100% fluff, and most of it is not very good fluff at that.

Re: Wheel of Time: book 12, the next one, is *supposed* to be the last, but I remain skeptical. I don't know how he'd be able to wrap up so many loose ends in just one book, even a big one (and while he said it'd be the last "even if it needs 2000 pages", there's no way the editors will let him do that), and even if book 11 actually HAD some stuff going on (unlike the past, what, 4 novels of sheer nothingess?).

If you are not too invested in Wheel of Time, I suggest you stop now. I'm too far into the series to not finish it, but it's not worth it. The few good moments are overshadowed by the complete stupidity of the characters, the Jordan cliches (women sniffing loudly, stone-faced men, Aes Sedai discussing important/dangerous matters "as if they were talking of the price of grain", women smoothening their skirts, Aes Sedai spanking (or threatening to spank) novices or disobedient young men, the ridiculous "swordfighting moves", and so on... so very tiring) and the atrocious pacing.

For good epic fantasy, you need A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. I also recommend the books by Robin Hobb (in that order!): Farseer trilogy, Liveship Traders trilogy, Tawny Man trilogy.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Morrigan; Mar 25, 2006 at 12:13 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Forgotten Realms