Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Arcade] Capcom Japan can't take it anymore

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 08:47 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 03:47 PM #1 of 49
Capcom Japan can't take it anymore

Behold, a website that doesn't tell us anything at all! :O!

http://www.capcom.co.jp/2d_kakutou/

2D Kakutou means 2D fighter, and the site basically says "the first original 2D Capcom fighter in 3 years is coming soon". Which got me pretty hot indeed! ;o It most likely can't be Street Fighter which is Capcom USA property. The main website specifies that it's an arcade title, but hopefully we'll see a home version as well.

But who's developing this? Because most of the 2D guys are gone by now. Bengus and akiman both left/got fired/disappeared, and they were the best of the best--akiman does freelance work though so they might be able to recruit him. From what I've heard though the relationship between Capcom and akiman isn't too awesome (the developers of the Final Fight remake on XBLA wanted to use him, but Capcom said "no").

Anyway, this is super exciting news! Speculate away!

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by surasshu; Jul 2, 2007 at 08:54 AM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 2, 2007, 08:53 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 06:53 AM #2 of 49
Little to nothing of substance to speculate with. Flames must be a central point though, I mean... there was fire in the promo, right?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 09:14 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 02:14 PM #3 of 49
wow... those fire effects were amazing! Seriously though I haven't seen a trailer this bad since... I can't even remember when -_-

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:07 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 04:07 PM #4 of 49
It'll most likely be HD and it COULD be Street Fighter 4, as I speculated earlier. However, since they're announcing it as a CAPCOM "original" 2D VS. fighter, it could also mean that it's a whole new series. We'll see "soon", if they feel like keeping their promise.

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:25 PM #5 of 49
Capcom did say last E3 that they were working on a new 2D fighter. Since then everything else has been 100% speculation. At least now we knoe that one does exist, too bad it took a year just to get an announcement. At this rate we'll all have PS4s and Xbox 1080s before the game comes out.

I was speaking idiomatically.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:18 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 08:18 PM #6 of 49
It'll most likely be HD and it COULD be Street Fighter 4, as I speculated earlier. However, since they're announcing it as a CAPCOM "original" 2D VS. fighter, it could also mean that it's a whole new series. We'll see "soon", if they feel like keeping their promise.
That was before this was announced, and like I said it's unlikely that it's a Street Fighter title, and it obviously isn't the HD game. I really hope they'll develop a whole new fighting game but I'm not too hopeful on that one (since it seems they count Capcom Fighting Evolution as their last "original 2D fighter", and there isn't too much original about that).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:48 PM #7 of 49
Hopeful or not it doesn't matter because Capcom said that this IS a new 2D fighter IP.

Therefore it also can't be a new SF game unfortunately.

FELIPE NO
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:54 PM #8 of 49
My hope: They take Marvel vs Capcom 2, make due without the Marvel license (since they don't have it anymore, so they'd have to drop the Marvel cast), beef up the Capcom side with 15-20 new characters and put the game back in the glorious resolution of the CPS2 with online play. That would make me a happy little gamer for the next couple years or so.

But I hope this is BIG, whatever it is. 2D fighting needs a good kick in the nuts to get it going again.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:56 PM #9 of 49
I wish there was a Rival Schools/ Project Justice update, Just one more.

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 02:05 PM #10 of 49
For real, Rival Schools was given a shitty chance in North America. Heck they just started a comic book last year of RS, so why wouldn't they do something with the games? Makes little sense.

Till this comes out I'm content with my imported versions of Guilty Gear XX Accent Core -JAP and King of Fighters XI - PAL ( <- So Good! ), both which also release in NA this year.

Nick
Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Member 2268

Level 4.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 04:46 PM #11 of 49
Best news I've heard all day. Don't let me down, Capcom. And by "original" fighter I hope they mean one that's not based off an anime.

Killing is a dangerous job, after all. I have to make it pay.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 05:02 PM #12 of 49
Sounds like great news. Capcom also made a anime-based 3d fighter called Kenichi awhile back (not too old but fun). So we're getting awesome fighting games from them. Glad to know they still have the heart to make 2d games =].

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by chato; Jul 2, 2007 at 05:21 PM.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 05:10 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2007, 12:10 AM #13 of 49
Hopeful or not it doesn't matter because Capcom said that this IS a new 2D fighter IP.

Therefore it also can't be a new SF game unfortunately.
Well, opinions on what constitutes the Japanese definition of "original" varies greatly. Like I said I'm pretty sure their reference point for the "3 years ago" statement is Capcom Fighting Jam, and I don't know if you remember that roster, but it had one original (as in never-seen-before) character. So whether this "original" is a new franchise, which I admit it implies, remains to be seen.

SuperDK
ROBO-KY!

Member 654

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:47 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 08:47 PM #14 of 49
I hope its something totally new or an update to Rival Schools/Project Justice. Chance of that happening isn't great, considering the others are 3D, but you know, wishful thinking. Also, FLAMES. I recall the title of Project Justice to have something about fire or something, but I dunno.

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 01:43 AM #15 of 49
Moero! Justice Gauken was the original name for Project Justice and "moero" means "burn!" (I THINK...not sure the literal translation, but it's definitely alluding to that).

Project Justice never got a chance. It came out as a $20 game on the already-dead Dreamcast. From what I hear, it's nothing noteworthy as a competitive game...Basically Roberto > Everyone, but I think it's a blast in casual play (mind you, I don't know any actual series PJ players). A next gen update (with online play) would be quite awesome.

FELIPE NO
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 03:21 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2007, 06:21 PM #16 of 49
Developer troubles! Noo! 2D version of the cancelled Fighting All-Stars please. TEE HEE. Go ahead and make a bunch of new 'original' characters or whatever (they'll all be Ryu clones anyway, or school girls... or Ryu AS a school girl), just let me pile drive them to victory as Mike Haggar in Metro City.

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 04:23 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2007, 03:23 AM #17 of 49
Will I get things thrown at me if I start cheering for another Darkstalkers game?

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 05:56 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2007, 12:56 PM #18 of 49
Will I get things thrown at me if I start cheering for another Darkstalkers game?
Only if you will accept a Darkstalkers game that wasn't character-designed by akiman.

But a real Darkstalkers sequel with proper HD art? That would be super hot.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 08:39 AM #19 of 49
Well it's an original game so it's not going to be Darkstalkers.

The only reason why Rival Schools is squeeking by is because it was always in 3D and never 2D before and while this new game is supposed to be original, it's getting by on Surasshu's theory on the Japanese' definition of "original".

RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 09:05 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2007, 05:05 PM #20 of 49
Maybe SF4 there rumors on EGM.

Quote:
According to EGM, Capcom is planning to announce the next title in the ever popular series. Some people hope that Street Fighter 4 will come to the consoles: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii. Reportedly, Electronic Arts is also busy with two fighter titles, one of which happens to be Marvel Nemesis 2. A next-gen Mortal Kombat title is also on their list, though it wasn't specified whether it's a separate rumor from the existing MK one, which is already publicly known. Lastly, EGM mentioned a new King of Fighters title that would debut on the arcades and then get ported to consoles.
http://gamers-creed.com/?p=195

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 09:16 AM #21 of 49
It looks like Midway will never learned their lesson when they flopped with MK:Armageddon . Maybe they might redeem themselves. Give the fighter's their own signature fatalities

I'm pretty sure EGM's mention on KOF is XII and Maximum Impact 3 (360 and ps3). We're all still in the dark whether or not KOFXII will be on ps2 or moved onto the next generation console. They did say that want to make KOFXII the ultimate 2d fighter. With Capcom showing SSF2THDRemix I really don't know and now the rumored SF4? This is turning to something great. It's another year of great fighting titles .

Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 01:09 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2007, 07:09 PM #22 of 49
That was before this was announced, and like I said it's unlikely that it's a Street Fighter title, and it obviously isn't the HD game. I really hope they'll develop a whole new fighting game but I'm not too hopeful on that one (since it seems they count Capcom Fighting Evolution as their last "original 2D fighter", and there isn't too much original about that).
I never said it was THE HD game(not SF2HD), I just speculated that the game will be HD based(new HD beat 'em up). See the difference? If not, re-read until you do.

Last edited by Sword Familiar; Jul 3, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 06:34 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2007, 07:34 PM #23 of 49
This is some awesome news! I hope it really is a brand new property. I'm tired of seeing the same franchises over and over. We need new blood. HD would be nice, but I don't know if the Japanese arcade market would pay for a 2D HD fighting game cabinet. The most popular 2D fighters now (Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, Guilty Gear) aren't HD.

If not though, I hope it's a Gyakuten Saiban fighting game. I call Mayoi/Maya!

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Kesubei; Jul 3, 2007 at 10:03 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 07:14 PM #24 of 49
Well if they were intending to have a console release they would be smart to program it to be HD from the start instead of having to rehash it later. Doesn't meant that the cabinets HAVE to be HD. Also considering the ridiculous price of the 5 LCD panel Arcade cabnet setup for Tekken 6, I don't think that $$ will be a problem for Japan.

But yeah, lots of possibilities is what makes this news so great.

Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:24 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2007, 01:24 PM #25 of 49
According to Insert Credit (here's the article), am-net thinks this new fighter will be based off of Capcom's Sengoku Basara series (Devil Kings!? WTF?), which is based on the Warring States period of Japanese history. So, what this rumor really means is that Capcom's new fighter is far from original; it's based on historical figures. The rumor also says that it's co-developed with Arc System Works (Guilty Gear, Hokuto no Ken, Battle Fantasia).

Last edited by Kesubei; Jul 4, 2007 at 12:39 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Arcade] Capcom Japan can't take it anymore