Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Arcade] ITG vs DDR

xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:17 AM #1 of 46
ITG vs DDR

Which one do you guys like better?

I personally find 'In The Groove' more challenging. It also has better music.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:39 AM #2 of 46
It's a surprisingly touchy subject for some people, but I prefer ITG myself. I like the interface, I like the developers, and I like most of the music. The in-house stuff is good, and the liscenses are great, too. The only beef I have with it is stupid notecharts, like Euphoria Expert or Determinator Expert.

I also like the scoring system of ITG. It's less cut-and-dry, with little trophies for One Great, or One Excellent, or Single Digit Greats. My favorite is in ITG2 if at a point that you almost fail in the song on your graph at the end there's an arrow pointing to it saying "Almost!" I thought it was a nice touch.

Can't wait for ITG3, Less Than Three is a hilarious song that I can't wait to play once it comes out XD

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:47 AM #3 of 46
I was blown away by ITG's interface the first time I saw it, but then again I'm easily distracted by shiny things. It is more challenging and the songs cater to Western audiences, so pretty much it's awesome.

I haven't played it much, though (I'm currently not in possession of a US PS2). I swear though, I'd jump at that quicker than, say, DDR EXTREME even if they were the same price.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
alkaline
Run Home Slow

Member 1696

Level 8.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:45 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 08:45 AM #4 of 46
Ick. DDR is a much more solid, polished game than ITG can ever hope to be.

Musically, ITG is in the ghetto. The majority of it sounding like your kid brother got a hold of FruityLoops and had a field day. The artificial difficulty of ITG is also pretty weak. Hands are a nice concept but mines are just lame. Difficulty should come from difficult patterns, not how well you can decipher what you should be hitting, as opposed to what you shouldn't be.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:35 PM #5 of 46
ITG has a better interface. The arrows color help a lot to see what's going on there. The framerate is also superior in ITG. I played DDRExtreme last day... Feels old now... Hope it will be fine with SuperNova..

Originally Posted by alkaline
Ick. DDR is a much more solid, polished game than ITG can ever hope to be.

Musically, ITG is in the ghetto. The majority of it sounding like your kid brother got a hold of FruityLoops and had a field day. The artificial difficulty of ITG is also pretty weak. Hands are a nice concept but mines are just lame. Difficulty should come from difficult patterns, not how well you can decipher what you should be hitting, as opposed to what you shouldn't be.
Not all songs have mines, you know. It doesn't add weak difficulty. It adds a different difficulty. I admit some songs are utterly pattern-stupid, but I prefer many songs on ITG than on DDR. I just don't play those stupids ones, that's all.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:27 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 11:27 AM #6 of 46
I actually prefer PiU more than the other two but when I first saw ITG I thought it was fun..then it slowly became boring. Is there honestly a purpose to have the whole fountain arrow? I'm waiting to see what DDR SuperNOVA has on it because its supposed to have like.300 songs or something.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Son of Wiseness
Chocobo

Member 367

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:49 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:49 PM #7 of 46
I've played In The Groove once, although I wasn't really impressed. I've always been a DDR fan though so I have to go with DDR.

FELIPE NO
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 03:02 PM #8 of 46
I've gotten the best of both worlds... DDR Extreme and an ITG2 Dedicated Cabinet at my arcade... Personally, I like DDR because all the songs are actually passable and it's beginner friendly also. ITG is alright, the songs are a good challenge when you get bored of DDR, but even though I play ITG more these days, I still like DDR better... I actually want our arcade to get rid of our ITG2 machine when SuperNova comes out... We might actually get people who want to play DDR again. We seem to lack a good crowd around the ITG machine these days.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 01:33 AM #9 of 46
I'm going to go ahead and add PIU to this....

Interface :
As far as ITG having a "Better interface" That it does not... it's a direct copy of DDRs interface... Pump it Up has made great progress at having a user friendly interface again with Pump it Up Zero... this setup works for the amount of songs it has.

Music :
both DDR and PIU have their unique style of music but ITG seems to try to be like DDR as much as possible in terms of music... and has way too many sequel songs for only having two mixes.

Gameplay :
DDR and PIU have a less steep learning curve, easier modes lead to harder modes... PIU has an edge for having choreographed steps so people who want to dance on the dance simulator can with ease compared to the other two... ITG has nothing leading up to a lot of the Expert charts... and the step charts aren't very dance friendly either.
Music :

Graphics :
ITG2 looks shiny however it looks dull as well... Pump it Up Zero looks shiny and polished... DDR Super Nova does also. Both PIU:Z and DDR:SN have those background videos that took time to make... Roxor doesn't really seem to care about them... they do add a nice touch... sure kicks the crap out of looking at generic backgrounds.

Replay value :
DDR Super Nova will have 300 songs.... I think that alone covers replay.
Pump it Up mixes from the past and currently have high replay value in my opinion due to not much being locked... (in otherwords you don't wear out all of the stuff waiting on new stuff.) They've also threw in new modes which
ITG1 and 2 had very little to make it worth coming back to after a month of overplaying it... also there were way too many sequel songs for the series only having 2 mixes so far... it subtracts variety when you have 6 or 7 Disconnected songs...

My verdict :
Since DDR has returned to the arcade market offering 300 songs ITG has become somewhat unstable... it was started as something to give DDR players to play because "There aren't any new arcade mixes" but now that there is and the final version of it will be more polished than ITG2... I doubt Roxor will be able to compete with it... Pump it Up Zero is already out with it's new interface and 133 (or more) songs... since Pump it Up has a different user base than DDR they really aren't directly competeing... however ITG was built up on ex-DDR players who will probably return to DDR considering how much ITG relies on copying the DDR style of music and does it's best job to not supply a decent learning curve for new players.....

neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:40 AM #10 of 46
lol.. if I didn't know better, I'd have to say your post is an ITG-bash-fest. Seriously, there are a couple of gems in ITG, and while it is more difficult, most of the music is also much worse. I prefer DDR over ITG anyday, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying ITG when I play the songs I like.

Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:28 PM #11 of 46
Hey I just stated what I thought of the game, I liked the concept of it until I played enough of it (3 months during Summer 2005 when the machine and console mix got here) like I said... not much replay value for me... those courses may work as replay for some but not me... once I pass the songs individually and there is no Freestyle value or interest in listening to the music I move on... I pop in other music games all the time... never pop in ITG anymore. And I don't think I'm up for a console ITG2... I will probably skip it... I can just try that when someone else buys it... problem is I wore out ITG2 so it would need new content... (a lot of) for me to even consider purchase.

So we'll see when ITG3 and ITG2 CS hits... maybe my opinion will be changed by them?

neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 02:13 PM #12 of 46
I have a feeling ITG3 will be overlooked because DDR SuperNOVA is coming out. I have no idea if my local arcade is even planning to replace the ITG2 machine or just get another, but if they do, I'm hoping for SuperNOVA....

The Chuck E Cheese's can get PIU Zero

Most amazing jew boots
xen0phobia
Chocobo

Member 503

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:15 PM #13 of 46
SuperNOVA looks likes its going to suck... once again they arn't listening to what anyone wants and are just making the game the way they want it. The fucked up scoring system, few options, tons of 7-8's when no one really wants them anymore, few new "challenge" difficulty levels, and songs being off sync (with of course no way to fix them) are what you can expect. The people at ITG at least try to make what the people want so i expect that ITG3 will kick superNOVA's ass.

How ya doing, buddy?
alkaline
Run Home Slow

Member 1696

Level 8.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:17 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 02:17 PM #14 of 46
Quote:
SuperNOVA looks likes its going to suck...
:lolsign:

Quote:
once again they arn't listening to what anyone wants

Quote:
i expect that ITG3 will kick superNOVA's ass.

Quote:
I have a feeling ITG3 will be overlooked because DDR SuperNOVA is coming out.
Most definitely. Not only will the hardcore base be flocking to it, but I fully expect it to have a media blitz thanks to DDR becomming so mainstream in the home.

neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:33 PM #15 of 46
Originally Posted by xen0phobia
SuperNOVA looks likes its going to suck... once again they arn't listening to what anyone wants and are just making the game the way they want it. The fucked up scoring system, few options, tons of 7-8's when no one really wants them anymore, few new "challenge" difficulty levels, and songs being off sync (with of course no way to fix them) are what you can expect. The people at ITG at least try to make what the people want so i expect that ITG3 will kick superNOVA's ass.
Good thing that they aren't listening to what the fans want--wait, that means that Konami magically made AA not equal FC anymore--wait, that means the scoring system isn't fucked up. Good thing there are more mods too. And good thing that SuperNOVA is currently a beta so Konami can fix the offsync songs!

You know what, I think you're fucked up.

Most amazing jew boots
xen0phobia
Chocobo

Member 503

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:37 PM #16 of 46
Ok i'll give you that... they did make AA not equal FC and that does give me slightly more confidence in them. But don't get my wrong, I really like DDR, its just i want something new and different. Something that makes me want to play it over ITG, and right now im not seeing that.

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:43 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 03:43 PM #17 of 46
Originally Posted by xen0phobia
Ok i'll give you that... they did make AA not equal FC and that does give me slightly more confidence in them. But don't get my wrong, I really like DDR, its just i want something new and different. Something that makes me want to play it over ITG, and right now im not seeing that.
Remind me again, didn't ITG2 have a bunch of off sync songs not to mention songs with NO step pattern when it was first coming out? I don't remember hearing tons of people say "ITG is majorly sucking. Off sync songs and all that jazz"

xen0phobia
Chocobo

Member 503

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 05:53 PM #18 of 46
You're right it did... and i'd criticize that too. Both games have that problem. I just feel that DDR superNOVA is going for more of the same (which isn't necessarily bad in the short run), but ITG is the one trying to keep the genre alive with fresh ideas. That's why i like ITG better.

Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:55 AM #19 of 46
Question

keep the genre alive with fresh ideas? Like what? The only thing ITG brought to the table was mines.... and it's not like no one hasn't experimented with them in Stepmania so it's not really new...

"Hands" were around before ITG existed in Pump it Up and Technomotion and no you don't have to use your hands on anything except for quads and quints on Pump it Up... On a dedicated ITG2 cab you can hit 3-4 panels without dropping down so it's not really hands...

The "marathon" courses are just courses with scripted modifiers... I believe that has been done in DDR before only slightly harder because of the battery... so what if the arrows aren't 3D.. 3D arrows don't make much difference...

Last edited by Kuhazan; Mar 12, 2006 at 02:02 AM.
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:05 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 12:05 AM #20 of 46
Whats sad is I like to call a few songs in ITG copies of DDR.

Disconnected and the other two disconnecteds remind me of the Paranoia set from 3rd Mix. And the retardation factor of Pandemonium reminds me of Max300. Hand of Time reminds me of Era as well.

How ya doing, buddy?
Cyantre

Member 2635

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:32 AM #21 of 46
I like DDR better. I like the songs better and there's more variety. Everything in ITG feels like heavy techno/trance. ITG is too challenging IMO, but for expert players who have mastered DDR, I suppose it's good for them.

I was speaking idiomatically.
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:48 PM #22 of 46
I like DDR better. I got Ultramix 3 for Xbox but it isn't as good as the first two. My favorite is the original Ultramix. The songs were so much better.

Izanami
what

Member 2692

Level 1.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:35 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 06:35 PM #23 of 46
Originally Posted by Cyantre
Everything in ITG feels like heavy techno/trance.
If that was actually the case, I might prefer ITG.

Even though I play ITG2 more, I think overall I prefer DDR. Konami's in house artists are a lot more talented, and it has a lot more music that I enjoy listening to. The only things I prefer about ITG2 is the improved cabinet design, and that hands are fun. But a good number of the stepcharts don't feel as polished, and a lot of the music doesn't seem danceable. Inclusion of gimmicky songs like Less Than Three really doesn't help. I'm hoping that with future releases, Roxor will try to be less like Konami and work on their own identity more.

FELIPE NO
xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:52 PM #24 of 46
Originally Posted by Cyantre
I like DDR better. I like the songs better and there's more variety. Everything in ITG feels like heavy techno/trance. ITG is too challenging IMO, but for expert players who have mastered DDR, I suppose it's good for them.
That is exactly why I like ITG better-I'm more fond of its music. Also, DDR's hot colors flashing through the screen makes me dizzy sometimes.

ITG has some cool functions like changing the arrow styles ^_^

cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:04 PM #25 of 46
Originally Posted by Izanami
If that was actually the case, I might prefer ITG.

Even though I play ITG2 more, I think overall I prefer DDR. Konami's in house artists are a lot more talented, and it has a lot more music that I enjoy listening to. The only things I prefer about ITG2 is the improved cabinet design, and that hands are fun. But a good number of the stepcharts don't feel as polished, and a lot of the music doesn't seem danceable. Inclusion of gimmicky songs like Less Than Three really doesn't help. I'm hoping that with future releases, Roxor will try to be less like Konami and work on their own identity more.
what is Less Than Three ? Is it in ITG2 ?!

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Arcade] ITG vs DDR