Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Arcade] Tech versus Free style...

NeoBelhelmel
Confused Negotiator

Member 18242

Level 4.50

Jan 2007

Old Feb 26, 2007, 09:21 PM #1 of 11
Tech versus Free style...

So when you go to the arcade, it's pretty clear that there are two schools of thought for approaching DDR: straight up beating the song to get that AAA or Full Combo or whatever, and freestyling to show your moves to whoever may (or may not) be watching.

What's your preference? I used to play for AA's a lot a while ago, but I started thinking that killing myself to get a perfect combo was not only unnecessarily stressful in my opinion (and therefore less fun), but also not particularly interesting for anyone to watch. I mean, yeah, it's always impressive to see someone bar-rape their way to a AAA Legend of Maxx or similar song, but I think there's a much bigger "holy shit" factor to seeing someone do jumps and spins to finish a song.

Thoughts?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Showtime.
Now using: Roger Smith Av #11
Malice Mizer
Beast of Blood

Member 1419

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:00 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 11:00 PM #2 of 11
I play tech, and hold the bar when i'm PA'ing a song to score a AA or AAA. Just to keep my center and balance and not get messed up at some point.

I like to play with some style, but not lately. ;\

There's nowhere I can't reach.
SimDaddyGT
Rage Prower

Member 92

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:02 PM Local time: Feb 26, 2007, 11:02 PM #3 of 11
Honestly, I prefer Tech. Sure, it'd be nice to learn a freestyle, but frankly, I already have enough trouble trying to pass 10's, so I don't wanna bother with freestyle until I master technical skill, but, by the time I do that, I'll be ready to retire.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:17 AM #4 of 11
I'm more of a tech player but turn into a freestyle whenever there's a good crowd.

There's no point looking like a fool when you're alone, so I'll just PA while there's no one there. When there's a crowd with people wondering how the hell the DDR pad works, I'll bust out with my PARANOiA (Heavy) routine.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:46 AM #5 of 11
I mainly try to match one or two scores on a (not-so) local Supernova.

but come on, who doesent flail thier arms around?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kloak
*~Kloaking In Affect~*

Member 3266

Level 12.01

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 01:57 AM #6 of 11
Its usually tech for me also...i think its because i like the sound of my feet hitting the arrow with the song...lol. Plus i practice a lot on my PA for upcoming tournaments or random battles I end up having in our local arcade. I could also say when there is a good crowd...a big crowd I'll end up doing a freestyle with like R3 (everyones choice...lol), So Deep: Standard, and i could stealth Paranoia Survivor so of course we'll put mirror and stealth...doing stealth gives the same ooooo's and aaaaaaaa's as a freestyle would, or u could just take any max song and put it on x8...same thing

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Kloak; Feb 27, 2007 at 02:00 AM. Reason: addition to post and mispellings
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:41 PM Local time: Feb 27, 2007, 02:41 PM #7 of 11
Technical, always. Even if I could freestyle, I wouldn't. My goal is to get as many perfects as possible and see that nice AA or AAA when I'm done. I have no probably drawing a big crowd doing perfect attack. Something like Bag 1x Flat, So Deep 1x Flat, or Max 300 gets them every time.

FELIPE NO

Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2007, 06:29 PM #8 of 11
Freestyle, because I primarily play Pump it Up... freestyle on DDR... no it just doesn't work... (unless you go way back to 4th mix plus and below) the game is built around tech so I usually don't play it...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:45 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2007, 04:45 PM #9 of 11
but I think there's a much bigger "holy shit" factor to seeing someone do jumps and spins to finish a song.

Thoughts?
Did he just fucking WALK UP THE SIDE OF THE DDR MACHINE? As entertaining as this looks, I wouldn't want to be the one doing it.

I dunno, I'm the type of guy who plays songs (usually average difficulty) for fun. Working up a sweat and shit over something that's meant to be a spent as a joyful part of your leisure never made much sense.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kloak
*~Kloaking In Affect~*

Member 3266

Level 12.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 01:35 AM #10 of 11
Did he just fucking WALK UP THE SIDE OF THE DDR MACHINE? As entertaining as this looks, I wouldn't want to be the one doing it.

I dunno, I'm the type of guy who plays songs (usually average difficulty) for fun. Working up a sweat and shit over something that's meant to be a spent as a joyful part of your leisure never made much sense.
Nobody mentioned fun and challenging steps together...I would do Dragon Blade for fun...if I'm up for a challenge then I would do paranoia Respect...most of us would pick mostly 6-9 footers for the first songs before final song anyways...because its fun...a lot of us would pick a boss song at the end for the challenge...I mean can you really criticize what somebody else would call fun anyways...I have a friend who does Max Unlimited for fun and does Fascination MaxX for a challenge and no matter what song you play, if you play enough you're going to sweat so don't argue of the sense to that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Max POWER
My style is impetuous

Member 7000

Level 17.86

May 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 05:21 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2007, 04:21 PM #11 of 11
I'd say I'm in the middle. I don't touch the bar and I like to just slide-around carelessly and play for fun, but I won't do any extreme free-style, and I am sorta trying to Perfect Attack. If I can get a AA when I play a song, then I'm satisfied, even if I could have done better. Of course, a lower score isn't so bad either.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Arcade] Tech versus Free style...