Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Creating a Folder Named "Print" Makes Networked Computer Crash

blackstripe
Wark!

Member 797

Level 1.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:15 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 05:15 PM #1 of 4
Creating a Folder Named "Print" Makes Networked Computer Crash

So this probably sounds a little strange, but I've been able to replicate it consistently 3 times. I'm wondering if anybody else is able to replicate it as well? I'm in doubt that there's something wrong with my computer configuration, because this is the only really odd occurance that I've had on my computers.

Below I'll give the specifics of my setup, but I think it might be possible that the bug can be replicated without the exact environment I have.

Both computers are Windows XP SP2, and are connected through a router to each other. My laptop is connected via WiFi, and the desktop is connected via an ethernet cable.

On the desktop, the hard drive where I'm trying to make the folder is mapped as D:, and it is just used for personal files (no programs, system files, or anything). On my laptop, it shows up as a network drive mapped as Y:.

So, all I have to do is, on my laptop, navigate to Y:, create a new folder, and name it "Print" (without the quotation marks, of course). Once I do that, the desktop computer restarts.

EDIT: I logged in as admin on the computer that crashed, and apparently making the folder named "Print" caused a BSOD.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by blackstripe; Mar 7, 2006 at 08:22 PM.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:12 AM #2 of 4
Well, We've got 4 computers networked at my house, and creating a folder named Print, both on the dekstop and on drive D:\ didn't appear to do anything to any of the other computers.

This could be a fault in one of your TSR apps.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
blackstripe
Wark!

Member 797

Level 1.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:04 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 04:04 PM #3 of 4
Originally Posted by ArrowHead
Well, We've got 4 computers networked at my house, and creating a folder named Print, both on the dekstop and on drive D:\ didn't appear to do anything to any of the other computers.

This could be a fault in one of your TSR apps.
TSR apps? What does that stand for?

How ya doing, buddy?
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:09 PM #4 of 4
Originally Posted by blackstripe
TSR apps? What does that stand for?
Terminate and Stay Resident; I don't really know why he used the term when I consider that those were something back during the DOS days...
Perhaps he is referring to any application running in the background which is not performing a function, per se. (Either that or any background application.)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Creating a Folder Named "Print" Makes Networked Computer Crash