Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Front Page Articles
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamers Month - Dance Dance Revolution

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2009, 12:07 AM #1 of 1
May 3rd, 2009

Dance Dance Revolution

Developer: Konami
Published: Konami
Released: 1998
Platforms: Arcade, N64, GBC, PSX, Dreamcast, PS2, XBOX, XBOX 360

Dance Dance Revolution, or Dancing Stage for you Europeans, is considered to be one of the pioneers in bringing rhythm games to the mainstream market. What started out as a silly little game where you step to music on a four-panel dance pad ended up turning into one of the biggest crazes to hit the whole world.

Since it's release in 1998, the game has had it's up and downs, but the series still goes strong. The DDR series managed to hit it's 10th year anniversary on November 20th, 2008 releasing Dance Dance Revolution X later on.

So what exactly can I say about this game? I remember first seeing this game back when TechTV was still a regular cable channel before the YES network booted it off here in the Tri-State area. If I recall correctly, it was one of their little import segments on Extended Play (now known as X-Play). Sitting my bed looking at this back in 2000, I thought, "Wow, this game looks pretty interesting."

I was always a sucker for odd games and stuff that normally doesn't hit the mainstream over here, so thinking I would never see this game, I kept it at the back of my mind and went about my own life. Ironically, only after a couple weeks of seeing this segment, my family and I went on a trip to the Philippines. There would be my first encounter with the game.

Like anyone who tries DDR for the very first time, you're gonna make yourself look like a damn fool. I was no different at the time. Failed horribly my first time and was scared to play it in the arcades again while I was on vacation. Lucky for me, my cousins had the game at home, so I got to play it while I was at their place. Little did I know at the time, this would eventually become somehting bigger in my own life.

Later on in 2000, the release of Dance Dance Revolution USA hit arcades. Having honed my skills for a little bit, my brother informed me of our arcade having the game there via tip from his friend who recently discovered the game as well. The day I set foot in that arcade, started my days as an arcade rat playing every chance I got whenever I went to the mall.

At the time, a good majority of the people who played were older than me so seeing someone who was only 10 at the time kicking their butts, I found it kind of funny since I was so young at the time and I was better than people several years older than me.

I played the game alone for sometime. It wasn't until about 2003 that my own friends started to get into the game, only to be ditched by them the following year.

I had my fun, but I slowly began to lose interest as the years started to go by. It wasn't actually until about two years ago that I started to get back into playing seriously again. Met some friends who share the same passion for playing Dance Dance Revolution and In The Groove the same way I do.

Since we're supposed to go into what we liked about the series... I would have to say my favorite Japanese mix would have to be Dance Dance Revolution 3rd Mix. It was the mix I started out with playing the Playstation version and had a lot of songs I consider classics in my book. For those who have heard anything from the whole series, this game had Boom Boom Dollar (K.O.G G3 Mix), butterfly (upswing mix), Captain Jack (Grandale Mix), Dam Dariram... And those songs just scratch the surface of how many songs I liked on this particular mix. A lot of them I still play on other mixes when I get the chance.

As favorite US version, the award definitely goes to Dance Dance Revolution: DDRMAX. Konami really hit a home run when they released their first PS2 mix. With awesome license songs such as Sandstorm, Take it to the Morning Light (Extended Vocal Mix), and Dark Black Forest, as well as a stellar Konami Original songlist with Rhythm and Police (K.O.G G3 Mix), My Generation (Fat Beat Mix), My Summer Love, and Look to the Sky. This mix had an undeniable charm that the US versions after if failed to have.

I could still remember those days when I thought MAX 300, or any of the boss songs in these games were the most difficult thing in the world. I kinda look back on it and laugh now that I think about it. Like any game, it takes a lot of practice to get good at it. DDR is no different.

I really attribute this game to a lot of my life. Gave me an unconventional form of exercise, but it also introduced me to a community I wouldn't trade for in the world. For those who play teh game as religiously as I do, they should know that the community you play with is the biggest part of this game.

Even though the gameplay hasn't changed much in the last ten years, the game always seems to deliver a fresh experience every time it's played.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Front Page Articles > Gamers Month - Dance Dance Revolution