Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Clover Studios is ANGRY at you for not buying Okami (or Godhand)

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 02:44 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 10:44 PM 1 #1 of 55
Clover Studios is ANGRY at you for not buying Okami (or Godhand)

So some of you may remember a little game developer called Clover studios, some of you may never have heard of them. Inaba and co moved on and started a new group called Platinum Games. Seems like Sega's going to publish their first titles.

Wii is getting the hyper-violent black-and-white cartoon action game MadWorld

YouTube Video
Error; are you sure that's a YouTube link?

While PS360 is getting an equally hilarious looking Bayonetta.

Teaser on gametrailers.

I have no doubt these games will be fun and fresh, but you can't help wondering if this is their way of begrudgingly conforming to what target audiences want, all the while taking the piss on us. These games look really freaking awesome, but I wonder how much of MadWorld stems from frustration and the age-old joke that gamers just want violence in their games.

EDIT:

Oh, and a sci-fi RPG for the DS, called Infinite Line!

Infinite Line RPG announced for DS - Joystiq

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; May 15, 2008 at 04:25 PM.
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 03:12 PM 5 #2 of 55
OOOOOOOhhh all 3 look good.

eh, I pirated both titles in the thread title.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 15, 2008, 03:25 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 01:25 PM #3 of 55
Given that the dude doing Infinite Line also produced Clock Tower and worked on Steel Battalion, shit will be awesome. Bayonetta is done by Hideki Kamiya, so if you liked Devil May Cry, chances are adding tits to the equation or video game overlay won't leave you too upset. As for MadWorld, that shit looks off the hook. Chainsaw arm, rargh.

tl;dr: I'd say the games look fine... but we haven't seen any footage of them in action, now have we?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 03:38 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 03:38 PM #4 of 55
So wait I thought the Clover heads disbanded and formed Seeds, not Platinum Games. I thought their plan was to become a developer/publisher too. So, what happened to that?

Oh wait nevermind. Found the article on Joystiq. Well either way glad to see their development is back.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 15, 2008, 03:40 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 01:40 PM #5 of 55
Uh, this all somehow isn't development/publishing, Southjag?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 03:44 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 09:44 PM #6 of 55
Considering the developer, all of them could be interesting... I don't have a Wii yet, so that reduces my options by one. I'm most interested in Infinite Line anyway. The most interesting thing to me is that I keep on hearing that nobody bought Okami, but everyone talks about it so... who exactly didn't buy it?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 15, 2008, 03:51 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 01:51 PM #7 of 55
The same thing happened with Beyond Good and Evil, Soluzar. So who didn't buy it? I'd wager to say the majority of consumers. There's a lot of talent behind all three of these games, and (not directed at you, Soluzar) really nothing is out of line with Clover's development philosophy so I don't see the need to complain about the visual direction when we all expect good games from them. It isn't like they've turned Viewtiful Joe into Viewtiful Bayonetta. There's no betrayal here at all, just a butt hurt hipster it seems.

FELIPE NO
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 03:53 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 11:53 PM #8 of 55
Considering the developer, all of them could be interesting... I don't have a Wii yet, so that reduces my options by one. I'm most interested in Infinite Line anyway. The most interesting thing to me is that I keep on hearing that nobody bought Okami, but everyone talks about it so... who exactly didn't buy it?
Well, that the gaming media and three message boards praise a game sadly doesn't mean everyone else bought it. As much as people will always gush about Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil and Okami, they all did relatively poorly. Same way "everyone" will tell you they freaking loved Shadow of the Colossus, but it won't show in the sales.

Alternatively, the level of internet banter regarding GTA4 is completely at odds with just how many people have bought the game.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Django!
I'm a little pimp with my hair gassed back

Member 23557

Level 8.57

Jul 2007

Old May 15, 2008, 03:54 PM #9 of 55
A> Godhand was shit. Give me an etch-a-sketch, pen and paper, graphing calculator, whatever and I'll prove it.

B> Okami was pretty. That's about all it had going for it. Otherwise it was pretty dull.

That means that Clover can be mad all day long. Doesn't matter. I'll give them props for doing something graphically, but if that's their aim then they should get out of the gaming business. Same shit happened with WARP.

Quote:
I have no doubt these games will be fun and fresh, but you can't help wondering if this is their way of begrudgingly conforming to what target audiences want, all the while taking the piss on us.
Depends on what you mean by "begrudgingly conforming". What would you rather them "conform" to? Your tastes or mine? I'd prefer them to "conform" to my tastes. Make a solid game by the means necessary. Seems like they're on the right track.

I'd like for you to explain a bit. Seems like you're repeating an in joke that I'm not aware of.

The impetus of Clover "conforming" was set in motion the moment they set out to make "Zelda with Water Color" and "Quirky Otaku Game with Plenty of Anime Cliches".

I don't care about that Bullet Witch game. Never really got into Devil May Cry, so DMC with tits and deadly stilettos probably isn't gonna do it for me. I imagine it'll disregard subtlety and grace for an all out action fest similar to the cheaply produced anime that litters late night TV.

MadWorld looks... interesting. Looks like a take on No More Heroes and God Hand. Wacky humor? Check. "Distinct" art style? Check. Beat 'em up? Check. Will I check it out? Probably.

Infinite Line sounds promising. Attention to detail, stupidly large scale drawings of the games ships with indecipherable highlights, ship customization, exploration, ship to ship battles. The director has strong ties to good story telling (Clock Tower) and great simulation (Steel Batallion). This is the most promising of the three games announced.

And it's on the DS.

That means it has the biggest chance of being profitable and has the largest market to adopt it. That's the best way to "conform". Release a space sim RPG on a little white glossy handheld!

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Django!; May 15, 2008 at 03:59 PM.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 03:55 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 03:55 PM #10 of 55
I pirated Godhand and rented Okami.

But I bought Okami second-hand off a goon. ~$25 and it had what look like dog bite-marks on the cover. Cute ='D

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 03:56 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 03:56 PM #11 of 55
Uh, this all somehow isn't development/publishing, Southjag?
I'd think not. Platinum Games will be developing those titles, but Sega's taking care of publishing them. Much in the same way Free Radical's developing Haze and Ubisoft is publishing it for them.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 15, 2008, 03:58 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 01:58 PM #12 of 55
Ah, quite right. Right as you are, I will say that outsourcing development is cool with me though, since it actually means Sega has its name attached to more things potentially awesome these days.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 03:59 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 11:59 PM 1 #13 of 55
I'd like for you to explain a bit. Seems like you're repeating an in joke that I'm not aware of.
I was trying not to underline the obvious "So you guys want more blood, huh" explanation. I see one or two people didn't see it that way

How ya doing, buddy?

Django!

Member 23557

Level 8.57

Jul 2007

Old May 15, 2008, 04:03 PM #14 of 55
I was trying not to underline the obvious "So you guys want more blood, huh" explanation. I see one or two people didn't see it that way
Well, the guy who's been on the Devil May Cry team is making a Devil May Cry-esque game.

Atsushi Inaba, the guy who did Okami and God Hand, is heading up MadWorld. A visually striking action/beat'em up game.

So, by "obvious" do you mean, "These guys are making games for a new company largely in line with the games they made for the old company?"

Seems like they made the jump to SEGA without much of a problem. One would think that, you, a fan of Okami and God Hand, would be happy that the creator is working on a new title that is very much keeping with his design aesthetic.

EDIT

Ohhai.

That Infinite Line game is based on an Arthur C Clarke story.

Epic Win.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Django!; May 15, 2008 at 04:07 PM.
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 04:10 PM #15 of 55
^ I am totally happy with God Hand, Okami-esque games. Infinite Line sounds fantastic! A pity Madworld is for the wii...that means I won't pick it up.

Most amazing jew boots
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 04:10 PM Local time: May 16, 2008, 12:10 AM #16 of 55
One would think that, you, a fan of Okami and God Hand, would be happy that the creator is working on a new title that is very much keeping with his design aesthetic.
Whoah whoah, I am happy they're making new games, where does it say I'm not? I wouldn't make a thread for a game if I wasn't excited about it.

Help me out here someone, I mean I put the potted plant there and everything. Was I supposed to use more winking smilies or what?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; May 15, 2008 at 04:12 PM.
Django!

Member 23557

Level 8.57

Jul 2007

Old May 15, 2008, 04:11 PM #17 of 55
Quote:
Whoah whoah, I am happy they're making new games, where does it say I'm not?
Calling them sellouts carries negative connotations.

Just sayin...

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 04:14 PM Local time: May 16, 2008, 12:14 AM #18 of 55
Calling them sellouts carries negative connotations.
I.. didn't?

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 15, 2008, 04:15 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 02:15 PM #19 of 55
I have no doubt these games will be fun and fresh, but you can't help wondering if this is their way of begrudgingly conforming to what target audiences want, all the while taking the piss on us.
You did.

How ya doing, buddy?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 04:24 PM Local time: May 16, 2008, 12:24 AM #20 of 55
I really didn't, but I mean obviously I must be in the wrong here what with my words and all and no one's misinterpreting anything.

So let's reshape it into something even you can grasp.

Django!

Member 23557

Level 8.57

Jul 2007

Old May 15, 2008, 04:25 PM #21 of 55
Since when has "conforming to the masses" not been selling out?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 15, 2008, 04:29 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 02:29 PM #22 of 55
"Begrudgingly conforming?" "Taking the piss on us?" That's cute, exactly how do I interpret your statements? "Clover had to reform into Platinum studios, guys. They're possibly, at least I think so, mad at us, so they designed visually striking games but [still somehow not] to the standards of today's brown next generation visual market because they had to close down at Capcom because their artsy games didn't sell", is that how I'm supposed to interpret it? Your wit would work here if you didn't have a very curious, hipster-esque statement going on up there, especially when someone already asked for an explanation and you're showing how good you are at reverse bicycle riding.

Most amazing jew boots
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 04:46 PM Local time: May 16, 2008, 12:46 AM 1 #23 of 55
Ok, I don't know what the hell you want from me.

He asked for an explanation and I explained it. You start yipping at me for trying to make excuses when there's a god damn misunderstanding I didn't notice. I guess I worded this hipster-escue statement much worse than I realized and it came out something that really pisses you off.

I worded it for you differently. Shouldn't be any indication of negative feelings towards Clover in that one. If that's backpedaling, then you have deep personal issues you need to sort out somewhere away from me.

FELIPE NO

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2008, 04:47 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 11:47 PM 1 #24 of 55
If this is the former Clover Studios team being angry at us, I say we start pissing on their family and setting their houses on fire.

THIS IS AWESOME.

I don't want to mingle with you lot too much, but I get what Qwarky meant with the opening statement--it's like they're basically going "you want violence, huh? We'll give you violence, you little ingrate shit, we'll give you your violence, don't worry."

Anyway... it's awesome. I'm pumped. Bring on the media!

How ya doing, buddy?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 15, 2008, 04:56 PM Local time: May 15, 2008, 02:56 PM #25 of 55
Considering they were already giving us violence, these are the guys behind Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, again... whatever. That's a pretty empty statement.

What do I want from you Qwarky? Maybe less damage control and editing, possibly some more meaningful explanation? Exposure works, I guess, in this case. Like old film or a shitty heavyweight boxer in case you're confused. Especially considering how awesome some of those newly edited posts of yours above me are. Yipping? Just consider me sick of video game hipsters.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] Clover Studios is ANGRY at you for not buying Okami (or Godhand)