Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Broadcasting wireless internet and network.

Hotobu
Good Chocobo

Member 5982

Level 14.90

Apr 2006

Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:25 PM #1 of 7
Broadcasting wireless internet and network.

Ok so I just got a new netbook, and I'm trying to network it with my computer. I have my internet connection currently going into my PC. What I'd like to do is set up a wireless network with my computer, and share the internet connection that's already going into my PC. What hardware do I need to do that? Will this do the job?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:52 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2009, 12:52 PM #2 of 7
Yes.

But I recommend buying a router nonetheless, which then handles the internet connections. I submit that it will be more expensive than your initial prospect, but this way you can still use the internet even if the PC was turned off.

As far as brands are concerned, I'm partial to Linksys myself. If you intend to do a lot of torrenting, then get one that's flashable with custom firmware.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Hotobu
Good Chocobo

Member 5982

Level 14.90

Apr 2006

Old Mar 6, 2009, 06:28 AM #3 of 7
Well I never turn my computer off... ever, so that shouldn't be an issue. As long as this handles both networking and internet I'm good. I just have to figure out how to configure it. Thanks alot.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:45 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2009, 11:45 PM #4 of 7
I have to make a correction.

You can't plug in that thing on your PC and let it broadcast. That's actually a wireless adapter that you plug into your PC so IT can connect to wireless networks.

So as far as I know, you WILL have to buy a wireless router and hook it up like so:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Mar 8, 2009, 05:26 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2009, 05:26 PM #5 of 7
On the torrenting front, you can also go with an option where you keep those computers dealing with large amounts of traffic wired to the main router while you allow for wireless connections on those computers you just use for irregular surfing. That said, second the firmware flashable router recommendation and would suggest Tomato Firmware as a potential replacement, since I've used it and was very happy with the configuration and control options. Limit the amount of upload bandwidth the non-wireless lines can steal, as that's usually the choke factor for torrent use.

Whatever you do though, remember to lock down the access. The number of unconfigured points in range of me named "linksys", "netgear", or "belkin54g" with default pswd's is always a laugh.

I was speaking idiomatically.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Mar 8, 2009, 06:37 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2009, 12:37 AM #6 of 7
@Zergrinch: Almost all wireless adapters can be switched into master mode (normal mode is "managed"), then acting as a standalone AP.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2009, 07:18 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2009, 08:18 AM #7 of 7
Ah, I didn't know that. So my initial "wrong" answer was actually correct?

FELIPE NO
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Broadcasting wireless internet and network.