Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Considering working 3 jobs...

Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:45 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 11:45 PM #1 of 21
Considering working 3 jobs...

Well, I currently work 2 part-time jobs and attending college full time (just 12 credits, but I'm close to graduating now). I'm currently working at Home Depot (it's nice so far there), but because they cut my hours (I wanted 24 hours a week at least, but they only seem to want to give me 15-18), I ended up getting a 2nd job at my school (working at one of the restaurants where they overcharge you for food lol. Mostly applied there cause one of my friends also works there).

I also applied for another area at my school, where I'd deal mostly with computers (they sent me an email asking for an interview, but this topic assumes they accept me as well). The reps at the job fair said that you'd work 3-hour shifts three times a week, which would fit my schedule fine (I work at the restaurant during the 3 hour gap between my classes, and Home Depot on the weekends). I'm just wondering if it's worth it (this is all dependent upon me even being accepted by the 3rd job at all, but if the schedule really is that short, I think I'll do it).

It's not like this is an entirely new situation for me. I worked at 2 jobs during my senior year in high school (internship at an insurance company, and then at a restaurant during the weekends), and still managed to get pretty decent grades.

Any of you ever worked multiple jobs before, particularly while going to school? What was the experience like for you? I don't have much of a social life, so that's not an issue for me (and I think I'll still have enough time to study for my classes). I'm just curious if you thought it was worth it or not.

While I'm not struggling to pay tuition (financial aid covers that thankfully), I would like to make some money, and not be one of those lazy types that sits on their butt all day mooching off others.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:18 AM #2 of 21
This would absolutely kill me.

I mean, do you even have enough hours in a week to do all of these things, including sleep time?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:20 AM #3 of 21
I would burn out real quick with a schedule like that. If it works out for you then by all means do it, but I just dont like having that much shit on my plate at the sametime.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 10:27 PM #4 of 21
I think I could handle this quite well. 12 credits is what.. like 3 classes? I'm assuming you work about the same amount of hours at your second job as the first. The third job would add another 9 hours to your schedule. Working in between 39 - 45 hours per week with a few college classes on the side doesn't seem that bad if you don't have much of a social life.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:29 AM #5 of 21
Twelve credits is 4 classes I believe. To me its less about the time, and more about the traveling back and forth, and keeping up with it all.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Koneko
Procrastinating Artist Extraordinaire

Member 1046

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:18 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 11:18 PM #6 of 21
I've never worked 2 jobs in my life. Between my husband and I, we make enough. I find that I can't handle much more than 2 classes and parttime without burning out or feeling overwhelmed. I suppose technically I'll be working 2 jobs when I go into student teaching (I don't think they pay me for my time doing that) and unless my husband can work fulltime, it's night job for me.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

"I reject your reality and subsitute my own!"
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:25 AM #7 of 21
The summer of 2005, I worked one job full time, and another job about 16-20 hours a week. There were a few days where I worked overtime on the 40 hour/week job too. I actually worked every single day in the month of June, with about an average of 9 hours of work a day. Getting the money was nice, but it exhausted me so much. Most days I wouldn't do anything outside of eating, working, and sleeping, because I just didn't have time. It is something that can be managed, but it doesn't leave room for fun at all.

FELIPE NO
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:35 AM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 11:35 PM #8 of 21
I've worked three jobs at once, and let me tell you, it was not fun. Say good-bye to all your free time; I was having difficulty even finding enough time to sleep. However, you do get quite a bit of money, and seeing the paycheques coming in can be enough motivation to keep plowing through it. You just need to ask yourself one question; what is more important, money or leisure time?

How ya doing, buddy?

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 03:21 AM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 01:21 AM #9 of 21
The extra money is good if you plan on saving up for something big, otherwise overworking yourself wouldn't seem like it was worth it since you wouldn't have time to use your money to see a movie or buy a video game to play. But then again, this third job is only 9 hours a week and you get to work on computers.

If it all becomes overwhelming you could always drop the third job.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 08:50 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 05:50 PM #10 of 21
I'm currently enrolled in six classes this semester and I find myself running out of time by simply going to school. I typically work over the summers if I don't take any classes, but I know that I wouldn't be able to handle a job and demanding classes at once.

Most amazing jew boots
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 09:00 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2006, 07:00 PM #11 of 21
Don't know what you want for a 3rd job, perhaps a small early morning paper route. I know my local paper carriers are getting maybe $300-500 a month extra. I mean, this isn't that much money, but it is your 3rd job simutaneously after all. It's easy to drop off the responsibility if it gets to you.

- What we all do best -
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 09:20 PM #12 of 21
I worked two part-time jobs before and it tired me the fuck out. What brought me down wasn't the number of hours but the number of days. When you have to work 14 consecutive work days it's both frustrating and tiring, and sporadic scheduling could make it so that you get home at say, 10PM, and have to be back to work in eight hours.

I wouldn't recommend it unless it were your only choice.

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 09:39 PM #13 of 21
I can see myself doing it...Then that one day would come up where I've worked 15 days straight (with school) and I just can't pull myself out of bed. Then it all kind of snowballs. It'd be especially maddening around exam time or if the homework load is insane.

I would value the free time for study and down time and just cut costs to balance out not working the third job. Eat cheaper, buy fewer games/DVD's, pirate computer programs, only buy books you absolutely need, bump the landlord so you get out of paying rent...Stuff like that. I did most of that for three years and it adds up after awhile.

Although if it's anything like the computer lab assistants at my school, where they just browse the internet all day to get paid for it, I'd say go for it.

I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Void
i turn black thoughts to red

Member 6792

Level 11.90

May 2006

Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:16 PM #14 of 21
I remember when I first started working two jobs while going to High School. It didn't work out. High School is like 8+ hours a day, and I'd come home at 3 and stuff my face and run out to work at 4. I'd work like 4 hours, and then go to my other job 'till like 10. Either that or the gym 'till 10. I'd come home and just chill online and relax [which I fucking needed] and I wouldn't do my homework because it was senior year. I'd still study over the weekends when I didn't have work. It all seemed to work out.

Although I'd like to think that I'm amazing at balancing things and multitasking and 'takin' it easy.' I realized that the stress did get to me. Like I'd have to be on schedule for everything, and it didn't work nicely with the fact that all social events are at the spur of the moment. I missed a lot of fun events a lot of my senior year because by the time i quit my jobs I had to study for AP's. But it ended nicely, and I've learned my lesson with college.

BUt college has a SHITLOAD of free time. I have class like 3 hours max a day, I seriously need to try out 2 jobs again. hah.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The only way out is through.
Celes Chere
Good Chocobo

Member 11349

Level 18.07

Aug 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 08:45 AM #15 of 21
There's no way I'd be able to do that. *repeats what 209 other people have already said*

I work anywhere from 25-36 hours a week at a lovely department store and take two classes at my local community college. That alone seems like nothing but it still drives me up the wall. I barely have time to do my homework and study because I don't get out of work until at least 8pm. So yeah.. two jobs would make me crazy(/ier than I already am).

But if you think you can do it, we can't stop you! XD

FELIPE NO
Such a Lust for Revenge!
Where's Kostaki!?

Member 9287

Level 40.98

Jul 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:06 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2006, 04:06 PM #16 of 21
Man, three jobs on top of school would kill me. Not that I know what college life is like, but ah well. It sounds like something I`d only do for a brief period of time, maybe a month, until I had enough to get a certain thing I wanted.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:42 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2006, 05:42 PM #17 of 21
I have one part time job with college classes and I'm stressed enough, so FUCK THAT

I suppose if you don't want ANY vestige of a social life then it would be possible, but damm that sounds awful. Don't the two jobs pay enough already?

How ya doing, buddy?
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 08:56 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2006, 06:56 PM #18 of 21
I did the full-time school, part-time job, full-time job thing when I was a sophomore. I did a pretty hard major (Computer Science), but I was doing mostly general education that year, so I worked 24 hours at a call center (weekends and two nights a week) and was a teaching assistant during the school day (took up about 20-30 hours a week).

After that year, I quit the call center job. I had been working there when I started TAing, which I did more to advance my career than to get money. I also didn't have a girlfriend (and when we started dating, she started working at the call center), which leaves more time for working anyway.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
and Brandy does her best to understand
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:05 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2006, 09:05 PM #19 of 21
I worked three jobs for quite some time. Worked on the farm, worked in the lab for professors helping them assemble research hardware, and I've done freelance Jewelery repair & making. On top of those, I went to college. I was running that track for 1.5yrs, unimpeded.

Would I do it again? I'd rather not. I'm really REALLY busy now. Moreso now than then. I had lots of cash but not so much on the free time.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:46 PM Local time: Sep 12, 2006, 07:46 PM #20 of 21
If you need the job to help your survive, then yes. If you're just doing it for some extra cash to blow, I don't recommend it. You likely won't even have the time to really enjoy the money you're making.

I've worked 19 days straight once and it wasn't pleasant in the least.

Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:23 PM Local time: Sep 12, 2006, 11:23 PM #21 of 21
Interesting replies, glad you shared them

Yeah, after some careful consideration (not to mention Home Depot giving me more hours, probably more than I wanted lol), I've decided to decline the third job. Like many here have said, I don't think I'd want to put up with all that extra work (no, it's not critical that I have this job. Heck, I'd be happy with just one job, but I would like to make some more money to spend, and actually have time to spend/enjoy it lol).

I suppose it'd be possible if I wasn't also going to school. But for now 3 jobs is probably not a good idea (not that it's impossible, but most peeps probably wouldn't like it).

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Considering working 3 jobs...