Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Hip Hop/Rap Thread

vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 06:49 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 06:49 PM #251 of 302
I've got to say, everytime I lose faith and interest into a genre of music, something in it comes up and surprises me.

I listening to the "5 Sparrows for 2 Cents" album from the Procussions.

It was creative and had some meaningful messages in it.

I approve (b' ')b

How ya doing, buddy?
Yarbles
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5247

Level 2.62

Apr 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:50 PM #252 of 302
I think there is a big diversity within Hip-hop and rap. There's an artistic side and a side where doing what is hip is important.

I tend to find myself listening to the first camp when I listen. A Tribe Called Quest is one of my favorites, as well as Arrested Development, and the Digable Planets. They all are trying to do something a little bit different.

I guess I like the older stuff (and the Digable Planets) cause it's not so superficial.

If you want hilarious rap though, Finland is where to look. It just shouldn't be allowed.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:38 PM #253 of 302
Yarbles, I'm with you on the older stuff. Most of the stuff I listen to is between 1990 and 2001 or something. The Roots are my favorite as well as Pete Rock & CL Smooth. I appreciate the older style versus what's out now. It seems as though the stuff out now sounds like club music.

How ya doing, buddy?
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 05:55 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 05:55 PM #254 of 302
Yes, everything I see now is just about the Beat that makes you get up and dance which I think is cheap. You might as well just ditch the words and have a Dance Club album.

Of course, the Mainstream stuff usually isn't anything too great. You have to dig deep to the lesser known stuff to get something truly good.

Double Post:
By the way, I thought I'd give a sample of the Procussions (Since I think it's kinda pointless to just tell you guys about them without letting you actually hear them).

Tell me what you guys think of it: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...A5671B015B93D6

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by vuigun; Jun 24, 2006 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 01:24 PM #255 of 302
Thought I'd toss this thread into the mix

Click Here!

How ya doing, buddy?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:32 PM #256 of 302
Originally Posted by Hydelloon
Thought I'd toss this thread into the mix

Click Here!
To be honest, I'm not fond of VGM and hip hop mixing. I prefer the two to remain separate. Besides, hip hop is doing well its own beats, why move to VGM? I know the concept has been tried a few times already. I've heard a few songs and I wasn't happy with the results.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Albino Cracker
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 8228

Level 1.73

Jun 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 02:24 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 11:24 PM #257 of 302
I personally like Chrono Trigger's music, but it sounds terrible when mixed with rap.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Weapon
FK in the coffee

Member 4644

Level 8.12

Apr 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:36 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 09:36 AM #258 of 302
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
To be honest, I'm not fond of VGM and hip hop mixing. I prefer the two to remain separate. Besides, hip hop is doing well its own beats, why move to VGM? I know the concept has been tried a few times already. I've heard a few songs and I wasn't happy with the results.
WTF?! Hasn't anyone here heard the "Game Over" album by Yoshumi?
They had beats from Soul Caliber, Soul Blade, Mario Bros and some others.
He also came out with a second album but it wasn't as good.

The Arsonist had a track where the beat was straigh out from a game...I don't remember the game name though...some pick haired caveman looking character game.

There's a few other tracks by other artist that used VGM as beats...I just cant recall all of then at the moment though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:25 PM #259 of 302
Ok, back from the dead. I was looking around for real audio samples since they are small and suit me being on dialup for the summer =/.

I could only find them for Ozomatli, but you've proved me wrong there. I don't know what the heck it was I was listening to before, but if this is hip-hop, I actually LIKE it. It doesn't sound like some shitty, over-simplified offshoot of rap.

This is odd because I was going in with a predisposition (I'll admit this) that I wouldn't like it, and the "hip-hop" I've heard before I hated, so I wasn't expecting I'd like the music right off the bat.

Sweet stuff.

I was browsing around on GFF and I'm like....oh yeah. I was supposed to check out a couple hip-hop groups, lol.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

FGSFDS!!!
Weapon
FK in the coffee

Member 4644

Level 8.12

Apr 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:52 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 08:52 AM #260 of 302
So I have finaly listened to the new DJ Shadow album...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsider_%28album%29

Is anyone else as disapointed as I am? The album was as if it wasn't Shadow at all. After the 1st track I noticed myself skipping through all the songs and before I knew it...I skipped through the whole album. I was sure I would at least find a track or two I would like but no....nothing...

Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:55 PM #261 of 302
I guess every artist has to move on with their sound sooner or later. I'll see what I think once I hear the album. "Endtroducing" is a classic and "The Private Press" was pretty damn good. I also loved his earlier work with Solesides (Quannum).

Anyway, this is the Hip Hop/Rap thread right? I've only been listening to Deltron 3030, Latyrx, Lyrics Born's solo albums, early Gravediggaz and early Outkast lately. Oh yeah, also R.A. the Rugged Man and some Organized Konfusion.

I've also been listening to tons of Kid Koala, although he isn't really "Hip Hop" but moreso experimental/electronica like Dj Shadow.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:13 PM #262 of 302
Originally Posted by Weapon
WTF?! Hasn't anyone here heard the "Game Over" album by Yoshumi?
They had beats from Soul Caliber, Soul Blade, Mario Bros and some others.
He also came out with a second album but it wasn't as good.

The Arsonist had a track where the beat was straigh out from a game...I don't remember the game name though...some pick haired caveman looking character game.

There's a few other tracks by other artist that used VGM as beats...I just cant recall all of then at the moment though.
I sincerely hope the trend doesn't gain momentum. I still don't like the idea of VGM and hip hop mixing.

Weapon
FK in the coffee

Member 4644

Level 8.12

Apr 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:25 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2006, 04:25 PM #263 of 302
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
I sincerely hope the trend doesn't gain momentum. I still don't like the idea of VGM and hip hop mixing.
It can be done in a good way. Anyways considering the Yoshumi album is about 5 years old I don't think it has gained any momentum at all.

FELIPE NO
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Sep 14, 2006, 05:00 PM Local time: Sep 15, 2006, 12:00 AM #264 of 302
isnt today like the day (10 years ago) that tupac got shot?
Rest in peace.

no homo
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:46 AM #265 of 302
Something like that. It never ceases to amaze me how him and Biggie Smalls being dead so long are more famous now than when they were alive.

How ya doing, buddy?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2006, 06:21 PM #266 of 302
And the Winner Is....!! Ya seee??

And so. Three great albums (and I'm not talking Lil Wayne >.> ) were leaked/released. I'm talking about:

Jay-Z - Kingdom Come: He comes back over and over but in this album, he doesn't disappoint. While some of the producers's beats were a bit so-so, Will-I-Am, Just Blaze,Kanye West and his lyrics make up for the damage. Also, His closing song "Beach Chair" (I think it was this one) and produced by Chris Martin was one of the best Jay-Z closing songs in a album since Reasonable Doubt's Regrets. I'm a man of fairness. With a few flaws, he deserves :

3.5 out of 5 mics

The Game - Doctor's Advocate: A rapper who started out clean. A rapper who had beef with G-Unit. He was disliked by fans who dick-rided 50 cent's overrated album. He's the one who took down G-Unit little by little and finally he creates a Masterpiece. Doctor's Advocate was leaked like a week or two before the retail release. I had my doubts til I saw a list of new producers and returning ones such as Kanye,Dre,Hi-Tek,Just Blaze and Swizz Beats (woo!). Game ripped each and every track and made beats look alive. He definately took his time with this album. Another great track was the closing song "Why you hate the Game?" by himself,Marsha and Nas. And believe that it's produced by Just Blaze. Simply his best album of all time.

4 out of 5 mics

Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead: For those who thought that Nas died. Think-the-fuck- again >=p. Many hardcore Nas fans thought his album was going to fall but were wrong and proud of what he gave us. I don't hear any Nas Haters talkin shit about it :biggrin: . Nas chose a good line up of producers. I'll be honest, After a shitload of albums and Lost Tapes he made back then, I didn't think he would come back or even have enough to say on the mic but I was wrong yet again ^^;. He goes soft in his first verse in a few tracks then rips the hell out of it in the mid to the end of the songs. I still love his music. My only shock in this album is Premier's work was not present. I guess I can say that Nas wanted changes or some shit. If Premo was in it, I'd give the album a full score , however, I get the feeling Premo will give him a beat to fill in that Acapella track in his album. The Closing songs (Im not going to include Acapella) beat both Jay-Z's and Game's track. If anyone hasn't heard it yet, Listen to it now. You get drawn to it. Thanks to Will-I-Am again for the beat.

4.5 out of 5 mics

Winner - Nasir "Nas" Jones

Hip-Hop 2k6 closes with Nas' album and I hope to God we get more. For those who don't know, "The N" track was not in his album. Any comments about their albums?

Wii60Chambers

Member 17242

Level 2.00

Dec 2006

Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:35 PM #267 of 302
Yeah that Nas album is pretty good. At first i was a little disappointed, but after i listened to it again and paid more attention to the lyrics i started to like it.

One of the Year's best albums along with Ghostface Killa - Fishscale and The Roots - Game Theory.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2006, 06:20 AM #268 of 302
Did you listen to Ghostface's "More Fish" Album? I heard it wasn't good at all. Styles P's album was alright.

I also heard a few things such as "Why you hate the Game" track was supposed to be in Nas' album. That and "The N" track wasn't in it either.

Wii60Chambers

Member 17242

Level 2.00

Dec 2006

Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:16 PM #269 of 302
I heard More Fish and it's not bad at all. Most of it it's very Raw. The only problem that i have with More Fish is that there are like 4 songs where ghostface doesn't rap. 2 of those songs are Shawn Wigs songs and i don't like him at all. The other track is by Trife and Sun God and there is also a Trife Solo track. I like Trife so i got no problem with that. More Fish is almost like a Theodore Unit mixtape but it has some great tracks.

I was speaking idiomatically.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Dec 24, 2006, 04:08 PM #270 of 302
Just listend to most of the tracks in the more fish album. It could've been better but it didn't suck either.

Speakin of which. Nas and Cormega squashed their beef by showing proof to the whole world at his concert a few days ago. Nas bought him and Foxy Brown to do Affirmative Action. No Az or Nature though..

KingDeadDuck

Member 17370

Level 1.47

Dec 2006

Old Dec 25, 2006, 01:06 AM Local time: Dec 25, 2006, 12:06 AM #271 of 302
The Game's "California Vacation" is the best mainstream rap song to be released in a while, mainly due to it's similarities to Dr. Dre's 2001. The Game's CD is even called Doctor's Advocate. Go Figure. But Jedi Mind Tricks and other smaller acts like Hieruspecs make rap worthwhile still.

How ya doing, buddy?
Wii60Chambers

Member 17242

Level 2.00

Dec 2006

Old Jan 1, 2007, 07:58 PM #272 of 302
New cd from Talib Kweli entirely produced by the one and only Madlib. They decided to release this for FREE as a New Year's gift for all their fans. Enjoy.

Code:
http://www.gimmemoremusic.com/uploads/Liberation_Talib Kweli.zip
http://myspace.com/talibkweli

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 06:06 PM #273 of 302
9 tracks only? Anyway the album was alright. Need to listen to it a second time ^^;.

Speakin of which, You do know who Skyzoo is , right? He dropped this sick track. And would you believe it, it's Premo!

He ripped the whole thing but damn the last verse was just Perfect. That's Real Hip Hop. ahh and Torae is in it as well. Dunno who he is.. But he has my respect.

This a HopHopGame version so we'll have to wait for a better one later.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t9kv3a

Most amazing jew boots
Wii60Chambers

Member 17242

Level 2.00

Dec 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 02:25 AM #274 of 302
I don't know that much about Skyzoo, all i know is that he dropped an album last year and that it was produced by 9th wonder. I heard it and it was pretty good.

BUt this track by Premier, damn... it's great!

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2007, 08:22 AM #275 of 302
Skyzoo is kinda underground but he has potential. More than enough to have even Premo work with him.

I know you saw this vid the other day. Its the best of 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRA4_JhO4A

He got layed down alright LOL. It took his ass 3 seconds to fall down.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by chato; Jan 27, 2007 at 04:24 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > The Hip Hop/Rap Thread