Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] World of Warcraft

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 01:10 PM #1 of 1941
Originally Posted by Murdercrow
Yeah, I've got a 15 rogue on that server too, and I've already more or less twinked him out with WC gear. The only problem is... well, again, I've found that I fucking hate PVP.
Best thing to do then, is to reroll on a pve server. I found myself in a similar situation where I liked the game but I didn't want to have it be a heart pounding experience when I was just trying to learn the mechanics, locations, and basically explore and enjoy the beauty of the world. I rerolled on a new pve server the day it opened and haven't regretted it ever since.

Rerolling on the new servers can be a lot nicer in that you don't have to worry about every guild on the server having all the endgame instances on farm status, super over inflated prices on the AH (though you can use this to your advantage as well so it's give and take), and the general newness of everyone starting off on the same page.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Thank you Guest for the kickass signature!
Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2006, 03:14 PM #2 of 1941
Originally Posted by Knighthawk
The only problem with that is nowadays new PVE servers arent exactly new. They leave it open for 5-6 servers to be allowed to transfer. I was going to attempt a new server...but soon as I logged in...it felt like nothing new at all. Over 100 Alliance level 60's had transferred in one day. Now I dont see why Blizz just doesnt open a new server without any transfers at all.
They actually just did for the NA realms . Duskwood and Turalyon are two of the new PvE servers that they opened this week. Turalyon was just opened today, so it's likely less newbie character crowded than Duskwood.

Most amazing jew boots

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:53 AM #3 of 1941
164g on my priest. 107g on my rogue gold grinder alt.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:24 PM #4 of 1941
Originally Posted by dagget
oh, we killed shazzrah and geddeon last week. I guess it slipped my mind to mention that we've downed everyone from that point. All that's left is Major Domo and Ragnaros. Although with the way everything's going I don't know if I'll be a part of the ragnaros kill. Got in another DKP arguement (sort of) last night and was basically belittled for calling DKP elitist and unfair. It drains the fun out of it when it comes down to this game is all about the epics and who has them.
It depends on what kind of DKP you're using. My guild implemented a zero sum DKP system, and it is MUCH better than /random 1-100. I will say that I hate the Blizzard random number generator (RNG) with a passion, but will still recognize it for when I have won some good items from it. Being able to throw out the RNG like the steaming POS it is for distrubuting epic loots, and using DKP gives the rewards to those who put in the most work. It's only logical that those folks should be the first to receive the rewards reaped from the time they've put in to help the guild or guild alliance down the boss(es).

Once again though, not all DKP systems are created equal. I've heard that a zero sum is one of the fairest DKP systems you can get, but being my first MMO game, I can't compare it to anything else.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:39 PM #5 of 1941
we don't use a DKP system. It's all random rolling. Why should people get more epics and why should I just sit there and do all the work and then not get a chance on something because someone "buys" all the good shit? DKP is shit and nothing anyone will tell me will convince me otherwise. /Random is by far the fairest way to get epics. If it's good enough to use in every other instance pre-MC, then why should it be any different post-MC?

I could go on many rants but I guess since I'm a casual raider I have no business playing warcraft, right?
Where random rolling fails is when you have say a player who comes once in a blue moon. Since you're using random rolling he wins [Big Epic Sword of Slaying].....then you don't see him log on again for another 3 months, or he finds an alt more fun to play and refuses to raid with the character he just won the epic on, etc. With random rolling you have the loot going everywhere. Thus you have no core team that is geared and ready to go take on the challenges of places like MC. I have seen guilds on my server break up due not using a good loot distrubution system, and instead relying on random rolling and hoping that those folks getting lucky and hitting the high numbers will be back again for the next raid. If you need the definition of a zero sum DKP system here it is:
Quote:
Points are involved only when loot is available to be awarded. Players roll for loot they want; the winner has that loot's point total subtracted from their personal total; that total is then split evenly among the other raid attendees. Since all players start with zero DKP, the equal addition and subtraction of points ensures that the sum of all players' DKP is always zero, hence the name. Zero-sum is often preferred by casual raiders, as frequent raiders tend to have negative DKP more frequently, which means casual raiders have a much higher chance to win a bid when they want.
That's what my guild uses, and it works incredibly well. No dramas over who gets what or anything.

I will also mention how I'm a casual raider too. My guild only raids MC over two days every week so far, and that's it. That's hardly hardcore since I can name several guilds off the top of my head on my server that raid EVERY NIGHT. No I can't imagine doing that, and I don't think I would find the game enjoyable if I did.

Bottom line:If random rolling is working for you right now, great, just don't be surprised if it blows up in your face later. A good loot distribution system is what's needed, and random rolling just doesn't cut it.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Kaelin; Mar 28, 2006 at 02:47 PM.
Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:14 PM #6 of 1941
Originally Posted by El Ray Fernando
Seeing as almost 2 years of the life cycle of WOW has already passed is it still worth me getting?
If you have some friends you know playing it, I'd say yes. It's an enjoyable game, and Blizzard does open new non-transfer servers to allow folks to have fresh starts.

How ya doing, buddy?

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:47 PM #7 of 1941
More or less all of my buddies play first person shooters unfortunately, is it pretty easy to get into and also is the general population on most servers helpful or a bunch of retards?
It is easy to get into, but because it's a Blizzard game you tend to run into immature players a little more often. Although there's always bad apples in any online game, sometimes WoW's can be pretty horrible. I think the population on most servers differs overall in terms of attitude. Usually the concensus(sp?) is that the Alliance has more of the immature people, while the horde tends to have older, and more sensible folks. Both sides of course have their share of good and bad folks though.

If you don't know anyone else who plays it, you then have to try and find the right guild for your playstyle. It can be difficult with so many guilds on a server, and with new ones popping up overnight only to collapse a short while after. Sometimes there is a sticky in your server's realm forum listing the guilds for the server with their web addresses. You can find out a good deal of information by reading a guild's website and forums most of the time. Playing with others from these guilds will also help you get a good feel for them.

Overall, I'd recommend you give the trial a spin to see if you like it. I didn't know anyone on the PvE realm I rerolled on after deciding that PvP realms were not to my taste, and got lucky enough to find a guild I enjoyed being in, and I have met many people who I now count as friends I know online. Everyone's mileage varies however.

FELIPE NO

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:03 PM #8 of 1941
I think I'll go pick up a copy tomorrow, should I start on a more well established high population server or a low population one?
It's personal preference for the most part. Higher pop servers have a better economy so you can make money faster on the AH, more players for groups, and well established guilds. However they also can have server queues at peak times in the evenings, as well as you may not be able to get into a guild right away because all of the same well established guilds aren't looking for any newer people. There is always the possibility of joining a newer guild on the server though.

Newer and lower pop servers don't have as good of an economy, meaning you can't make money as fast off the AH, however if you join a new server on its opening day, you are on the same page as everyone else's characters on that realm. This allows you to "grow up" with the server so to speak. If you roll one of the more popular classes i.e. hunter, rogue, etc. it can be a good opportunity to learn that class and possibly get into a good guild much easier since guilds are less picky when the server is newer.

Whatever you choose, make sure you end up on a server that's in or very near your timezone if at all possible. Unfortunatley Blizzard decided to lamely take away the timezone markings on the servers, so you have to create a character, log in as that character, and then check the time of the server by mousing over the sun/moon icon in the upper right hand corner. It's time will allow you to determine where the server is located.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 06:19 PM #9 of 1941
Ok seeing as I just started, I'd rather prefer to commit to one server, although I'm neither inclined towards pve or pvp, which do you think is better?
For learning the lay of the land, the locations of certain quests and such, I'd recommend pve first. If you find that too easy/boring/tedious, then try pvp since it has the surprise element later on when you're in contested territories which is everything from level 20 onwards.

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:00 PM #10 of 1941
It's stuff like that funeral dispute that remind me why leaving PvP servers was the best choice I ever made in WoW.

Sure does suck for the ones who were trying to hold it though assuming they were serious and it wasn't all made up.

Most amazing jew boots

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:13 PM #11 of 1941
I believe the Ony bug has been fixed. My guild took her down for the first time this week, and even though I was not there, I didn't see anyone in my guild's forums making any mention of her bugging out and causing them trouble during the fight. Maybe it's a fix on a server by server basis though?

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 03:20 PM #12 of 1941
Originally Posted by rpgcrazied
w00t, my guild finally took down sulfuron and got to Domo! I was excitied.. of course he kicked our ass's. Im sure this is old news to most guilds, but oh well. :P

here domo(last boss b4 ragnaros)
Grats! You'll get Domo down soon He's a little bit more technical than anything you've fought thus far in MC, but perfectly doable once everyone is on the same page. And even if it's old news to all the folks who have BWL, AQ, ZG, MC, etc. on farm status, it's fresh news for you. The feeling of taking down a boss for the first time like that is always the best!

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:25 PM #13 of 1941
how the hell do people make gold like that. I'm lucky to scrape by with 90g on my 60
Some folks make alts specifically for the purpose of gold grinding. That's what I've done. If you're also inclined, I'm sure you could work the AH to your advantage so you'd never have to leave the capital city while you make money.

Also, some classes have it easier than others in terms of costs. Warriors are by far one of the highest maintenance classes out there, and the most expensive in repair costs.

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:25 PM #14 of 1941
I knew someone was going to bring up Burning Crusade, but you know what? It's probably too little, too late for any kind of content like that. Everything has been raid oriented since the inclusion of Dire Maul. (From my understanding) and I highly doubt there would have even been a "band-aid fix" of tier 0.5 gear (holy shit, what a laugh.) if there hadn't been that article in some magazine saying that Blizzard lied about staying casual friendly.

I'll get the expansion, but as far as I'm concerned, I don't know how much longer after I'll stay. Karazhan will be the first "casual" dungeon that has the 3-5 day timer on it, because of it having something like 18 bosses in it. Oh but don't let the fact it's a level 70 dungeon throw anyone off.

Hellfire Citadel is a 5-man dungeon.. that leads into a raid dungeon.

See, I wouldn't be too pissed about 20 man instances, because hell, UBRS was 15 man. Not that hard to get 5 more. But damn, 40 man instances is just crazy and of course the new tier 3 sets that are rumored to be part of Naxx... yeah, I can just see myself, not even decked out in full tier 0, much less ZG gear, going against guilds who have Naxx on farm status in BGs.

It's all about raiding and people having stupid rules to go along with said raiding. It's just dumb.

You raid dungeons to get loot to prepare you to raid the next... it goes on and on and on.
Uhm, don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should just quit the game now? From all of your previous posts, it sounds like it's causing you more stress than enjoyment overall.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 02:26 PM #15 of 1941
Originally Posted by The_Griffin
Only problem is, that unless we're willing to spend 50 gold and respec every time we go on a raid, we won't be able to use the spiffy new PVP abilities because we're going to be pigeonholed into Restoration, which is STILL FUCKING GIMP IN SOLO AND PVP.
Welcome to a situation similar to a Holy Priest. While Holy Priest's have an easier time soloing since 1.10, it still isn't very fun, or mana efficient. I suggest you roll an alt specifically for your soloing or pvp purposes and keep your shaman for pve. It's what I've done, and it's a lot more enjoyable than trying to have one character be everything for the different playstyles in the game.

FELIPE NO

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 02:13 PM #16 of 1941

Now you guys tell me, why is it every fucking other class can get along and not have shit over getting geared, but most warriors have to act like retards when it comes to Might? "Let's see, he has two pieces of Might and would benefit from the 3-set bonus. We should pass to dag before anyone else gets their first piece."
My guess is that it's because Warriors are usually up at the front of it all the time, so they naturally want the best gear they can get their hands on as fast as possible. In raid instances this extends to Warriors wanting to be the brightest star on the team. They want to be the one at the very front of the raid, the one who tanks all the bosses directly, and the one who can brag and say they tanked Rag the night their guild downed him. This is probably what leads to such squabbles among some warriors who all feel they should be the MVP of the raid.

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 01:37 PM #17 of 1941
Anyone know what mod(s) this guy has in this video here? I've been trying to find it(them) since I saw this. <3

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...15&q=UBRS+boss
The video quality is kind of grainy, but it looks like he's using some Discord custom set. Try seeing if it's on www.discordmods.com under the Discord Unit Frames and Discord Art sections, or ask about it in their forums.

EDIT:And yes there are a lot of "It's about time!" features in this patch such as the key rings, bigger stacks, reports of a world LFG channel (from the test server forums), and more.

Last edited by Kaelin; May 23, 2006 at 01:40 PM.
Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 01:43 PM #18 of 1941
Originally Posted by Gechmir
If the guild is that fucked up, why not switch? Is it a pretty notoriously good End-Game guild?

Maybe it sounds self-centered, but make a threat to leave for this kinda stuff. Possibly the guy up top will let you have the next item you want for certain or something. I wouldn't take guff like that after being in the run four times now. Make it clear to the guild or something. Some folks might not like pulling the temper-tantrum tactic, but it sounds like you've earned the right.
Unfortunately since it sounds like Jessykins plays a rogue, the Guild leader probably wouldn't care one way or the other. If it was a priest or other highly demanded, but underplayed class, they might have a little more weight to pull.

BTW Jessykins, I'd too find another guild if I were you. That one you're in is most likely gonna fall apart, or have an uprising by folks like you who are tired of getting screwed out of loot from folks who only show up once every now and then.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2006, 03:09 PM #19 of 1941
What's amusing here is that Blizzard basically did to the Shamans exactly what they did the Paladins only the opposite in terms of areas of gameplay. The common complaint from Pallies was that they were mostly fine in PvE, but wanted to have the option of sacrificing surviveability for more DPS in PvP, and to a lesser extent PvE. So instead Blizz buffed their PvE abilities, and pretty much brushed off their PvP concerns. I bet the Shaman-hating Pally players are enjoying this right now.

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 02:21 PM #20 of 1941
Originally Posted by Talbain
Rolling Alliance just because Horde doesn't look pretty is typical of players that don't realize what they're getting into.

Give Horde a chance. All of my experiences with a Horde character have been far above and beyond anything I've done on Alliance.
Eh I went Alliance because that's what I always liked back in old school Warcraft II. Plus, back then all my friends were always "HORDE RULEZ!" so I wanted to go against the flow....at least back then.

It took me awhile, but I finally gained an appreciation for some of the horde's areas (The Barrens, Stonetalon Mountain, etc), but I will add, that it took me much longer to gain that appreciation than it took for most of the alliance's areas where I felt immediatly immersed. I remember how it felt like I was in the middle of nowhere when I started in Durotar for the first time, which I guess is somewhat accurate, but at the same time lacked a good immersive feeling that a place like Elwynn Forest brought.

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:58 PM #21 of 1941
Originally Posted by Talbain
I agree with the notion that Blizzard has introduced the Alliance a bit better, and play the Horde as underdogs in the whole ordeal. I don't like the starting areas (aside from the brilliant Tirisfal Glades and Silverpine Forest), but the play style just plain differs. What other game has you set up to be the bad guy?

Sure, you can have your standard out-of-the-box adventure as a human or "good" race like any other game, but the Horde gives you a different experience. Yes, they're ugly. Yes, the Barrens isn't so great. However, past the starting areas you're in for a treat as the adventuring becomes far less standardized than what the Alliance offers.
Mulgore is my favorite starting area for the horde, followed by Tirisfal Glades. I like how Mulgore imparts that sense of the Tauren as a race. It just feels like a place that represents them well, while giving a feeling of wonder and awe as well. Too bad you have to leave it so quickly though

I actually enjoy the Barrens nowadays. It feels like a place with hidden jewels in the forms of the oasises, while also feeling like a place of peaceful tranquility as you travel about it. Maybe that's because I play with the music off though, and since the horde are so underplayed, I hardly ever see many players around there (unless I'm at the Crossroads) when on my horde characters.

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 01:16 PM #22 of 1941
Yay, patch day. The day when all the add-ons I'm using seem to break, the servers are down more often than up, and I get to play "let's stare at Authenticating" for 30 minutes! Ok it's not really that bad, but sometimes patch days do annoy me with the number of issues they bring despite the cool new content.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:41 AM #23 of 1941
If I were to hazard a wild guess as to when the next patch comes out, I'd say mid to late August based on Blizz's previous release schedules.

FELIPE NO

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 06:10 PM #24 of 1941
For me endgame is largely about just hanging out with the guild on a run as much as it is about the loot. Some of the best times are had when you're both learning an ecounter and have the encounter on farm status. Even as a priest, my fellow healers and I have had some hilarious healer chat when someone says something like: "This is too easy, let's start letting the rogues get lower on health :-D". It's all in jest, and helps keep the mood light.

The same logic of raid->gear up->raid->gear up can apply to FPS games to an extent too. Why do people keep playing those? Are they not the play map->get better->play map->get better? Folks keep playing those games because they're enjoying themselves and the folks they're hanging out with in their clan. It's all in perspective really.

On a different note, I have FINALLY liberated my mage from Laughing Skull(Stock)! Yes I realize I am crazy and could've leveled up two mages to 60 in the time it took Blizzard to release this service just so I could get my level 33 mage off that stupid server, but I don't care! ;D Besides that mage was one of my first characters ever, so I couldn't bring myself to delete her.

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:21 PM #25 of 1941
O.....M.....G.....

If this is true, the races just became equally balanced....

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burni...lasscombo.html

EDIT:Heh posted within a minute too late, ah well

EDIT2, my thoughts on this:Well hopefully this will FINALLY bring the horde and alliance pops to more equal footing overall. It seems a bit like a copout/hackish move by Blizz, but you gotta go with what works I guess. I can't see the Shaman population being too happy overall since most guilds will just want to replace them with pallies though.

Last edited by Kaelin; Jul 21, 2006 at 12:25 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] World of Warcraft