Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Academy Awards

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:37 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:37 PM #1 of 57
Academy Awards

So the awards were mostly a disappointment just like they are every year.

I know this will yield little discussion but what did you guys think of the winner and/or loser outcomes?

http://oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/index.html

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:38 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:38 PM #2 of 57
Originally Posted by Encephalon
So the awards were mostly a disappointment just like they are every year.

I know this will yield little discussion but what did you guys think of the winner and/or loser outcomes?

http://oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/index.html
I was suprised Brokeback Mountain didn't win. Entertainment weekly got that really wrong.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
wishfire
#27E3FF

Member 996

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:39 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:39 PM #3 of 57
I got about halfway through it before I had to change the channel out of boredom, but I do agree with Memoirs of a Geisha won what it did. I can't really form too many opinions on this considering that I haven't seen over half of those movies.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:41 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:41 PM #4 of 57
I only watched the end because I was bored. It's funny how I reacted when I found out Crash won the best picture (the best way to put into words "...What!?!?!?").

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:43 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:43 PM #5 of 57
I guess i should start paying more attention, cause i didn't even know Crash was nominated.

This year was one of those years that the Academy was really split. All the films deserving of the awards, got at least one.

The only thing i was remotly disappointed about was Batman Begins losing Cinematography. It's to be expected, i didn't think it would get the award, but i think it was deserving of that award. The acting might not have been all there, and the writing was weak at times, but the environment that movie set up was strong.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:43 PM #6 of 57
I don't know what you're talking about.

A movie named "Crash" took top honors.

Obviously the Academy finally got their act together. This is a panel who knows. You don't even need to watch the film to see that it's awesome.

Also, George Clooney huzzah!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:44 PM #7 of 57
I was glad that King Kong won a few. The host told some good jokes lol.

FELIPE NO
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:44 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:44 PM #8 of 57
I was shocked to find that Brokeback Mountain didn't win. It had all the hype and all. I also caught the end. Oscars and such never really appealed to me as something to watch in its entirety.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:44 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:44 PM #9 of 57
What I heard that surprised me is that the best picture nominees' box office gross put together is less than $200 million, or less than most blockbusters make during the summer.

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:45 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:45 PM #10 of 57
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
I only watched the end because I was bored. It's funny how I reacted when I found out Crash won the best picture (the best way to put into words "...What!?!?!?").
I think I was more in shock over the fact that Crash won more so than I was disappointed that Brokeback Mountain lost. I really think that of all the nominees that one definitely deserved its award because it was the fucking underdog.

ava lilly
not a lily

Member 307

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:45 PM #11 of 57
my only real gripe of the moment is the Best Original Song winner. it wasn't a bad song, but I'm sorry, It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp just wasn't academy material in my opinion. I had much higher hopes for the song written for Crash. also, I still think they should have nominated atleast one of the original songs written for The Chronicles of Narnia.

I haven't seen most of the movies that were nominated, so aside from the music I can't really give an informed opinion on anything else. ;_;

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:47 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 08:47 PM #12 of 57
I thought most of the picks were well chosen. I'm glad Crash won Best Picture. I'm glad Seymour-Hoffman won Best Actor. The only one I was dissapointed about was March of the Penguins winning Best Documentary. I thought Enron was a much better film. March of the Penguins was horribly overhyped, athough it was still pretty good.

Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:50 PM #13 of 57
I am glad Brokeback Mountain lost. The hype was ridiculous and we certainly don't need the floodgates opened for an entire wave of gay cowboy movies.

Also, Brokeback Mountain failed because although it was an artistic film about gay cowboys, they did not eat any pudding.

The pudding is crucial. No pudding, no Oscar.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:50 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:50 PM #14 of 57
Originally Posted by ava lilly
I had much higher hopes for the song written for Crash.
SERIOUSLY! I mean... "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp" was a pretty good song and it did a good job in relating context to the movie. But come on... Three-Six Mafia winning an Oscar is a sign of the motherfucking apocalypse.

I mean... COME ON!!!! IT'S THESE GUYS!!!

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Capo
I thought Enron was a much better film. March of the Penguins was horribly overhyped, athough it was still pretty good.
That was the moment I knew that I was going to be disappointed for pretty much the rest of the night... ENRON: The Smartest Guys In The Room losing to waddling flightless bird footage...

Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:55 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 05:55 AM #15 of 57
Anyone else who thinks that favoring Wallace & Grommit over a Burton or Ghibli movie is kinda odd?

Edit: Yeah, that documentary choice was weird too. Penguins are cute and cuddly and all but the Enron scandal had some political relevance. Well, maybe that was just it, Michael Moore's acceptance speech comes to mind.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Cyrus XIII; Mar 5, 2006 at 11:58 PM.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:58 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:58 PM #16 of 57
Originally Posted by Cyrus XIII
Anyone else who thinks that favoring Wallace & Grommit over a Burton or Ghibli movie is kinda odd?
Not really. Wallace and Grommit was such a fucking great movie that I was almost waiting for it to lose...

But Howl's Moving Castle...

Like I said... It was mostly a night of disappointments

Double Post:
Well, maybe that was just it, Michael Moore's acceptance speech comes to mind.
I guarantee you that the Academy shifted the way of the birds because of this little number a couple of years ago.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ayre
Wark!

Member 1736

Level 2.50

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:00 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 12:00 AM #17 of 57
I really only watched for Jon Stewart, as were most Daily Show fans anxious to see how he'd perform under the spotlight. He seemed a bit anxious at the start, but I really thought he started to settle in as the show went on. Great job by him, and I LOVED the zinger he made at Russell Crowe. Jamie Foxx's reaction was hilarious.

36 Mafia winning Best Original Song should probably win most awkwardly accepted award for this years Oscars. Stop thanking Jesus, already. I thought I was watching a rerun of the Grammys. Still, I liked their song better than the other two, so I can't say it didn't deserve the award. (Who is Dolly Parton trying to injure with those gozongas? ;.

Wojo
River Chocobo

Member 59

Level 23.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:01 AM #18 of 57
I am also very glad that Crash won the Best Motion Picture oscar. Out of all the films nominated I defenitly found it the most entertaining. I am also glad that Hoffman got the best actor. Playing Truman Capote seemed like such a hard thing to do when I watched Capote. Holding that voice for such a long time man that must be difficult.

History of Violence should have been nomiated for more categories though that kind of sucks.

Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:02 AM #19 of 57
Anyone think that maybe "Wallace & Gromit" was a well-written, funny story with excellent production values?

Sheesh, maybe we're getting a little tired of the "gothy" theme that Burton stamps on everything, you know? Maybe "Wallace & Gromit" was a refreshing change of pace for an animated movie and was favored for that reason.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:29 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:29 PM #20 of 57
Brokeback was set up for an embarassing shut out. But I'm so glad Ang Lee won for Best Director, most deserving guy ever.

I totally forgot about the Oscars. I was too busy being sick and sleeping

Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:50 AM #21 of 57
I don't think I could make a call between Wallace and Gromit and Howl's Moving Castle. I loved them both but they were both really good for different reasons. I thought that Corpse Bride was, although interesting concept-wise, not as good as I expected .

I'm so glad that Memoirs of a Geisha won for best costume design. I understand that no matter what era/style you're working with it takes the same ammount of work but if something like Pride and Prejudice had won over Memoirs...well I'm just glad they didn't. The costume work in Memoirs was outstanding and I'm glad they won what they did.

Baaah~
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:07 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 12:07 AM #22 of 57
Originally Posted by kat
I totally forgot about the Oscars. I was too busy being sick and sleeping
Wow...that was so me. I didn't even think about it until my roommate was channel surfing a bit earlier tonight. I had wanted to watch, if only for Jon Stewart, but oh well. Sick+5 tests next week+sleep=forget Oscars.

I hadn't seen most of the movies up for awards anyways.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:07 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 01:07 AM #23 of 57
Originally Posted by Fire on Ice
I don't think I could make a call between Wallace and Gromit and Howl's Moving Castle. I loved them both but they were both really good for different reasons. I thought that Corpse Bride was, although interesting concept-wise, not as good as I expected.
Yeah I was rootin' for Miyazaki.

FELIPE NO
el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:23 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 03:23 PM #24 of 57
It was alright until it ended with Crash winning crazy amounts of awards and Good Night and Good Luck leaving with nothing.

Biggest travesty of the night.

Double Post:
also: best animated film was one of the best decisions of the night. best documentary was one of the worst.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by el jacko; Mar 6, 2006 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Automerged double post.
Perception
Trainer

Member 154

Level 1.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:56 AM #25 of 57
Crash. Best picture? =\

Actually, the Best Picture nominees this year were mediocre. Crash was cool, but I don't talk about it to others, and I don't recall anything extraordinary. Just a random movie to me.

Last edited by Perception; Mar 20, 2006 at 02:58 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Academy Awards