Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The X-Files 2

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:24 AM #1 of 19
The X-Files 2

It has begun.

It's a coincidence that I had just finished watching all of the first season tonight. This remains as the best TV show ever made.

I can't believe it is coming out in July. Probably my most anticipated film of the year.

Apparently they are no longer agents and are on the run from the government.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:57 PM 1 #2 of 19
I don't see how this could possibly be good. I've watched the X-files on and off when I'm at home, but I can't forsee any acceptable conclusion that would come close to tying up the myriad of loose ends and plot holes that riddle this series. I'll pirate it with cautious optomism, but I don't see it coming out that well.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:58 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2008, 10:58 AM #3 of 19
It looks like shit, I'll wait for the screener, etc.

I don't see how this could possibly be good. I've watched the X-files on and off when I'm at home, but I can't forsee any acceptable conclusion that would come close to tying up the myriad of loose ends and plot holes that riddle this series. I'll pirate it with cautious optomism, but I don't see it coming out that well.
Hahaha give me a break, buddy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:18 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2008, 12:18 PM #4 of 19
I had heard at some point last year that the plan was for it to actually kind of avoid the whole X-Files mythology aspect and be self-contained. I would hope this to be true. After the show went down the tubes due to so many of the people involved being burned out on it, I hope that the long layoff from it will help renew their vigor towards the universe and characters. If this is the case, I expect nothing short of an excellent movie.

How ya doing, buddy?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
SpaceOddity
Chocobo

Member 427

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2008, 02:35 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2008, 12:35 PM #5 of 19
Well... I have to admit, those pictures put a smile on my face. It's great to see the two together again.

However, I don't really have high hopes for this movie. Even though it's going to be a standalone/monster story set well before the series ended... I'm still bitter about how the show went into the toilet the last 2-3 years of its life. The finale was... awful....

So, I'll probably see it, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's halfway decent. I'm especially glad Doggett & Reyes won't be in it. I'm not too sure about Xhibit's casting though...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Mithrandir
Hot Tamale

Member 1121

Level 6.05

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2008, 07:50 PM #6 of 19
I wonder what kind of story they can pull out from the series finale....I mean, the colonization has begun...and they have to fight the end of the world. So does this mean the movei is going to be set before the invasion so we can actually witness it?

I do hope they won't bring back some of the organization members from death....or Mulder's sister, fake father... or even CGB Spender...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Not six....more like half a dozen...
Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Feb 24, 2008, 09:24 PM Local time: Feb 24, 2008, 08:24 PM #7 of 19
Scully doesn't look THAT hot anymore.

Anyways, the final years of the series really killed everything I loved about it... it did it so well I didn't bother watching the final and I'm pretty sure I'm not missing anything.

If this doesn't have anything to do with the crap that killed the series, and it's just a "long episode" of the earlier seasons... I'll probably go and watch it.

Edit: For greater justice.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Grilled Carrots; Feb 24, 2008 at 10:32 PM.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2008, 09:58 PM #8 of 19
YouTube - Wondercon 2008

Shit looks epic.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
LS

Purple

Member 509

Level 21.05

Mar 2006

Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:07 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 11:07 AM #9 of 19
Scully is still smoking hot, X files was so awesome, until season 8 where it started to snowball, Although john dogget was an awesome character as well.

Anyway as for the movie, if this is gonna be a monsters of the week i am sure its gonna be scary.

X files regular motw episodes are pretty freaky, i wonder what they are going to pull off this time around, i just hope its not some gay cult and what not.

The GreyFox
Good Chocobo

Member 196

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2008, 07:16 AM #10 of 19
Official X-Files Site

The official trailer is now up if you haven't seen it already.

How ya doing, buddy?
Tyr
Carob Nut

Member 852

Level 6.41

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2008, 07:47 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2008, 05:47 PM #11 of 19
So I came here to see if there was any buzz or interest in this movie since its out this weekend and was a little surprised to see it buried and lacking any recent bump. Anyone out there going to see this movie or excited? Checked out some of the reviews and most are positive though not terribly exciting. I wonder if we all just outgrown or become disenchanted with our memories of how the series ended as I hear next to no buzz commericially or from my friends at home who used to love the TV series.

Kyndig
Syklis Green

Member 2709

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:31 PM #12 of 19
I saw X-Files tonight and was pretty damn disappointed. It's like they decided to make a movie about the Scully/Mulder relationship and threw in some X-Filesey sub-plot as an afterthought. Thank you for wasting my time Mr. Carter.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:35 PM #13 of 19
I actually watched an interview with David and Gillian the other night, and they looked uncomfortable being next to one another.

When the interviewer asked Gillian what she has been doing, she mentioned that she was in two plays, and David said something like "OH TWO PLAYS THAT'S SOMETHING," except it seemed sarcastic as hell.

I was speaking idiomatically.
pofcorn
Because George Clooney, motherfucker

Member 574

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2008, 05:46 AM #14 of 19
I saw X-Files tonight and was pretty damn disappointed. It's like they decided to make a movie about the Scully/Mulder relationship and threw in some X-Filesey sub-plot as an afterthought. Thank you for wasting my time Mr. Carter.
That actually doesn't sound too bad.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:16 AM #15 of 19
I kind of felt the same way; it seemed more like an average mystery movie than an X-Files story.
Though Mulder and Scully expressed their beliefs about the paranormal throughout the movie, the rest of the film seemed like it belonged somewhere else.

Spoiler:
The one thing that dragged it down for me was the lack of anything really paranormal happening. There were no aliens, no grand conspiracies, no creepy government agents lurking in the shadows...

There was just a psychic priest who molested some kids and had "visions from God" about some abductions. Then Mulder was all like "he's seriously seeing these things guys, you have to believe!" and Scully was like "I can't believe Mulder, your sister is dead stop fooling yourself!"

FELIPE NO
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:05 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2008, 10:05 PM #16 of 19
I just got back from seeing it. I wouldn't say that it was necessarily a bad movie. I think my main problem is that it felt like a two and a half hour movie that had been cut down to an hour and a half. Hopefully we'll get the real version of it when it releases on blu-ray/dvd.

I wish they hadn't cast Xzibit as an FBI agent too, how am I supposed to take this seriously if I'm expecting him to put goldfish in Scully's dashboard?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:10 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2008, 10:10 PM #17 of 19
I just got back from seeing it. I wouldn't say that it was necessarily a bad movie. I think my main problem is that it felt like a two and a half hour movie that had been cut down to an hour and a half. Hopefully we'll get the real version of it when it releases on blu-ray/dvd.

I wish they hadn't cast Xzibit as an FBI agent too, how am I supposed to take this seriously if I'm expecting him to put goldfish in Scully's dashboard?
The whole time, all I could picture in my head was this:

A really short review, as I want to digest this a bit before I go into it.

-What kyndig slags on this movie for is what I liked about it. It is more Scully/Mulder than X-Files. Which makes sense. Since that's what made the X-Files so entertaining for me in the first place.

-David is still very funny.

-Gillian still cries as well as anyone in the business.

-Billy Connolly is creepier as a psychic than as a zombie.

-Either the industry thought this movie would make no money, or someone pissed off the advertising gurus, because this flick got no push AT ALL.

-It wasn't brilliantly designed or shot or even written. But it was a bookend, and for that I'm thankful.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2008, 04:25 PM #18 of 19
Long story short - The X-Files: I Want To Believe gets everything right what The Dark Knight got wrong.

Spoiler:
2008 is turning into the year where I'm starting to think the problem isn't Hollywood making bad movies but Hollywood having stupid audiences. For the nihilistic, "damned if you do, damned if you don't" popular morality blather that is the new Batman movie, the new X-Files movie will fail in every possible way. No one is shot, no one is dead-then-alive only for someone else to be dead instead, there is no pastiche of a superior film in attempts to glob another movie's ideas. There is no overblown nonsense of Oscar nominations. There is little preconceived notions about the film and the ones that are are thrown out the door after the first two thirds. The plot's reveal is a good one in that you don't see it coming.

I won't go into the "monster of the week" format - since it isn't there. In fact, there is no monster - and not in the overplayed "humanity is the real monster!" copout or its variations. The "monster" takes a backseat (perhaps too far back) from the rest of the story, revolving around a missing FBI Agent and a local woman. Mulder (complete with crazy man beard) is eventually pulled back into the investigation world by his former partner Scully (who looks great, even though she looks like she could stand to sleep more). Billy Connolly plays a role of a priest with a very dirty background; his part is part-paranormal, part moral center of the film. And in the end, the movie leaves you to ask you where you stand, instead of telling you what to think (which was really the most insulting element of TDK).

Its not a perfect mix - somewhere around the middle it lags and Amanda Peet is simply not convincing in the role. There could have been one more chase and a little less criminal justice science just to give it a little more punch but thats a small misgiving considering the end result.

Its a slowly paced character drama, reminding us that a movie without good characters and a good message is not worth seeing. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that as far as summer blockbusters go - the morality in this is almost reaffirming of something greater than I can describe here. Its not a concrete feeling or a specific moral quandary solved - its simply a lot of good questions and a lot of ernest hope for the future. But being you and I are in this world where people pay to have their intelligence and morals trampled on so long as they can agree that someone dead deserves an acting award as a consolation prize - this film will not be popular, not even for its fanbase. I would go as far to say that the movie is in many ways the movie everyone says they want to see, but end up actively avoiding. After all, how dare we have hope in each other when we can bury ourselves in self-actualizing narcissism.

Chris Carter directs (Frohike is first assisstant director!) what is essentially the biggest valentine of a movie a fan can hope for. If there is no other X-Files movies to follow, he went out on the best note possible and for a man whom I've derided for years as losing track of what made the show great in the beginning, has reaffirmed my faith in him as a writer.

I originally hesitated at the subtitle to the movie. It had long been established as one of the show's catchphrases - but as a movie title, it didn't quite roll around in your mouth. But I wouldn't change it for anything because it really gets the whole idea down pat - I want to *believe*.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:22 PM 2 #19 of 19
Downloaded this last night. Excellent movie, and excellent score.

Two things that should have been edited out:

1. X-Files whistle during Bush portrait thing.
2. All of Xhibit's awful acting.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > The X-Files 2