Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What do you collect?

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:41 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 09:41 PM #1 of 117
What do you collect?

I'm sure most people here have music and/or video game collections, but what other things do you collect, if any?

Along with the two above, I have a shoe collection that I wasn't aware of until last year. I did some cleaning and realized that I owned too many shoes than necessary.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:57 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 09:57 PM #2 of 117
I have a small money collection growing. Old/ Foreign money that is. I have a whole bunch of old english pennies depicting Queen Victoria, and various King Georges (twice the size of the modern penny). I have a couple 1 and 2 dollar Canadian bills, and about 4 japanese coins. I have recieved most of the old english pennies from my Grandma, which used to belong to my Great Grandfather, and the 1 and 2 dollar bills were given to me from my mom who saved them from her purse when they were discontinued. The japanese coins were given to me from our japanese exchange students that came to Canada for the summer from Ikoma City. I also collect all those odd quarters made every once in awhile as they may be nice to have in later years.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:02 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 12:02 AM #3 of 117
Books. I have a nice collection of literature, and a few really decent items. I have leather bound early printings of Casanova's Diaries, Tennyson's collected works, and a lot of very early Byron. I have this thing for old books. I love the smell and the feel of them. I spend literally hours upon hours in used bookshops in every new city I go to.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Immortal
I float.

Member 1281

Level 19.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:03 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 11:03 PM #4 of 117
I collect Baseball cards and stuff like that mostly. Oh and there is the collection of Mugen parts for hondas...that's an expensive hobby =/

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

While everyone around me is busy drowning, I float.
Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:10 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 01:10 AM #5 of 117
For me its Star Wars CCG cards, Heroclix (what a great game!), and comics (but mainly for reading). I have a small library of books and such, but I'm not really a collector.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:12 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 12:12 AM #6 of 117
My interest in collecting certain things comes and goes in phases. One phase was collecting business cards (it's the cheapest souvenir you could ask for -- I have 'em from different states and different countries), then playing cards (about 70 decks), and when I was in elementary school I collected bookmarks (and when selecting a bookmark for a book I'm reading, I still match the colors and/or subject matter to the book's cover). I also collected certain comics at different periods of time (Sonic the Hedgehog until around issue 104, any comics involving Venom, Dawn comics, etc).

Originally Posted by Denicalis
I have this thing for old books. I love the smell and the feel of them. I spend literally hours upon hours in used bookshops in every new city I go to.
Awesome . I'm the same way...only one of my friends can keep up with me when I'm in a book store. My parents certainly don't like to spend hours with me in them.

How ya doing, buddy?
McCloud
Currently hates his username.

Member 4413

Level 10.62

Apr 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:38 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 12:38 AM #7 of 117
Transformers figures, that's my big one. Not for the sake of completion or anything; I'm not going to buy a recolor of a figure I already have just to say I have X number of Transfigures (didn't even realize I made that word until a minute after I did it. I think I'll keep that) more than the other guy. It's more for personal enjoyment. I find it very satisfying when a robot and alt mode manage to look good without either one making the other look unnatural or clunky. Articulation too. If the robot mode doesn't have bendable arms or legs, it bothers me. Finally, I love bells and whistles on my figures. Not like lights or sounds, because those are pointless gimmicks. But more than one alternate mode, or the ability to join with other figures to form one big figure, that makes me happy. Alt modes moreso. The more alt modes, the better. I recently purchased the Devil Gigatron figure, and I am in love, proverbially. It's an improved version of the Gigatron figure, which is a six-changer, meaning it has 6 transformable modes. Devil Gigatron has 10, which is unheard of. And all the modes look rather well done, without parts from the other modes getting in the way. With the possible exception og the elephant mode. I have no idea what that's about.
In all, I have 25 figures that I actually enjoy, and 5 that are kept in boxes (they are: G1 Starscream, G1 Megatron, G1 Targetmaster Stepper, Binaltech Ravage, and Binaltech Grimlock).

If this doesn't set me as a pathetic fanboy, nothing will.

EDIT: 26 figures. I forgot about my Energon Scorponok in the livng room figure holding my roommate's Ulala figure, as if to say "You gonna get raped!"

FELIPE NO
The above statements may or may not be true.

Last edited by McCloud; Jun 20, 2006 at 04:24 AM.
Lost_solitude
stop stealing my "me time"

Member 2164

Level 13.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:53 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 08:53 PM #8 of 117
laugh all you want but I used to collect sonic comics...Come to think of it I sould contenue.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:57 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 12:57 AM #9 of 117
I pretty much swore off collecting after I was done with the whole Pokemon card fad, so I really don't do much of it. About the only thing I consider myself even somewhat a collector of is TV DVDs. They're on the top of my DVD shelf, I'm always getting more and more of them, and they are the only things that I actually keep a list of online. Right now I only have about 45 seasons of about 25 or so shows, but I'm always getting more shows that I love along with getting new ones I've yet to discover.

Tawnee Van Pelt
Everybody Hertz

Member 227

Level 23.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:03 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 01:03 AM #10 of 117
I have a small collection of The Beatles LPs that I started not too long ago.

I have a Mexican and Japanese version of Rubber Soul, an edition of The Silver Beatles when Pete Best was still around and an american compilation.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

McCloud

Member 4413

Level 10.62

Apr 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:10 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 01:10 AM #11 of 117
Originally Posted by Lost_solitude
laugh all you want but I used to collect sonic comics...Come to think of it I sould contenue.
Holee-shit. The Archie ones? I have from about issues 50-100. That was about the only point where I really got into it. Before that was too cartoony for me (in comparison to the events of 47-50), and later then that it seemed they were trying too hard to blend their own story with the plot of the games and whatnot. The art was getting pretty weak too (I recall one issue where it was basically copies of the art from pervious issues), but nothing irked me as much as the dialogue.

Example from issue 96-
St John: "All right, boy...how did he get there?"
Sonic: *Drinks soda* "Uhhh...How did who get where?"
St John: "Blast."
Sonic's mom: "Way to go, son..."
St John: "Has Princess Sally contacted you lately? Guess not. Don't be late for school."
Sonic: "I sure hate that guy."

It hurts to read, really.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:21 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 12:21 AM #12 of 117
I have a small collection of comics and a small collection of McFarlane Toys. Those are pretty much the only toys I collect unless there is something out there that catches my fancy.

elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:21 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 02:21 AM #13 of 117
I collect buttons of all shapes and sizes. I'm referring to the buttons found on clothes, and not those pins. When I'm bored, I love digging through the pile of buttons. It's like playing with sand, but with bigger pieces.

I also collect recipies. I always find myself taking free recipie cards from stores as well clipping recipies from newspapers and magazines. The latter is a bit difficult, as I don't get magazines anymore, with the exception of a free food magazine I get four times a year. Unfortunately, most of the recipies in said magazine aren't for making things from scratch. They mostly involve pre-packaged food items.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:37 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 09:37 PM #14 of 117
Originally Posted by RockgamerXIII
I pretty much swore off collecting after I was done with the whole Pokemon card fad, so I really don't do much of it. About the only thing I consider myself even somewhat a collector of is TV DVDs. They're on the top of my DVD shelf, I'm always getting more and more of them, and they are the only things that I actually keep a list of online. Right now I only have about 45 seasons of about 25 or so shows, but I'm always getting more shows that I love along with getting new ones I've yet to discover.
Wow, I'm on the same exact boat.
Roughly, after my high school days of collecting and playing card games (which was mostly Pokemon and Magi-Nation.) I just wanted to stop collecting things altogether.
Well, long story short that didn't last long. I ended up collecting DVD movies and TV DVDs of moderate proportions =).

*still waiting for season 2 of House MD*

How ya doing, buddy?
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 02:58 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 01:58 AM #15 of 117
Originally Posted by McCloud
Holee-shit. The Archie ones? I have from about issues 50-100. That was about the only point where I really got into it. Before that was too cartoony for me (in comparison to the events of 47-50), and later then that it seemed they were trying too hard to blend their own story with the plot of the games and whatnot. The art was getting pretty weak too (I recall one issue where it was basically copies of the art from pervious issues), but nothing irked me as much as the dialogue.
This was apparently a phase a lot of people went through, myself included. I was really into them for about 3 years, and when they released the Knuckles solo book I actually liked that better than Sonic by that point. I was such a StH nerd for the better part of my elementary/middle school years. Then the comics went to shit, and I had to force myself to buy until around 100. But by that point, I figured I was just getting a little old to appreciate the comics, and perhaps the deterioration in the writing was my imagination o_O.

I hated when they changed Robotnik/Eggman's appearance to match that of the games -- even though the games' design came first. I liked the Archie version of Ivo Robotnik .

FELIPE NO
CactusWater
Cheese n Wine

Member 7916

Level 2.25

Jun 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 03:02 AM #16 of 117
I collect pictures and books.
I love to save almost every picture I find online that I even think for a second "thats cool" I have them organized into catergory folders in my "my pictures folder"
It may sound corny but it's really cool to look back at them after a long time when you've forgotten about them and you're really glad you've saved them after all.
Also, it's a good idea if you're like me and like to photoshop things. You can never have enough stock images for photo manipulation.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
McCloud

Member 4413

Level 10.62

Apr 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 03:40 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 02:40 AM #17 of 117
Originally Posted by Arkhangelsk
This was apparently a phase a lot of people went through, myself included. I was really into them for about 3 years, and when they released the Knuckles solo book I actually liked that better than Sonic by that point. I was such a StH nerd for the better part of my elementary/middle school years. Then the comics went to shit, and I had to force myself to buy until around 100. But by that point, I figured I was just getting a little old to appreciate the comics, and perhaps the deterioration in the writing was my imagination o_O.

I hated when they changed Robotnik/Eggman's appearance to match that of the games -- even though the games' design came first. I liked the Archie version of Ivo Robotnik .
Amen. And it wasn't your imagination. The writing was deteriorating, it pretty much started doing so at the point when they decided to do the whole Sonic Adventure plug-in story. Hell, I felt it was going a little when they did that pointless episode that was a blatant rip-off of Indiana Jones. Then again, issue 48's ending was kind of a rip off of The Fugitive, so I figured maybe they just liked Harrison Ford.
Robotnik's appearance was awesome, in a grotesque, overweight sort of way. He was anatomically correct for the most part, and that made me happy. It made him seem more believable as a character, and more sinister in a way.
And finally, yes, the Knuckles series rocked. Had a ton more original characters, all of whom were more interesting than the Sonic characters, and some deeper issues. Racial tensions between the dingoes and echidnas for example. I would have loved to have seen more development in that, except Archie is retarded...

That reminds me of this idea I had for a fan-comic once. Maybe I should dust that chestnut off...

How ya doing, buddy?
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 03:54 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 10:54 AM #18 of 117
Books! This is really something that runs in the family, since we have book racks in almost every room (even the kitchen of all places). I usually set my eye on a specific rather rare book, and a specific print, and I enjoy myself searching for it iin shady book shops. Most of the time it are books that I've already read, but still, it's nice to have them. I really have a thing for really old rare works (I would kill for 19th century first prints), but most of the time they are too bloody expensive =/.

Most amazing jew boots
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:56 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 04:56 PM #19 of 117
I collect any books related to israel-palestine conflict and japanese-related subject.

Years ago I collected sailor moon and dragon ball cards. I feel like idiot now. they sure wasted money! ><

Most amazing jew boots
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Oric
Syklis Green

Member 1787

Level 6.69

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 05:20 AM #20 of 117
Books
Shot glasses (I buy one at every place I go to, and my family knows to get one for me from their vacations)
Musical instruments (this one's a bit expensive, but I don't normally look for super top quality instruments, just playable and sounds OK and can stay in tune: I have: A trumpet, two trombones, a tuba, a ukulele, a mandolin, a guitar, two basses, an ocarina, a wooden flute, several wooden recorders, panflutes, a steel drum, a cheap electronic keyboard, and a Hammond organ. I'm looking to acquire a tenor sax or a banjo, if you can offer me one cheap- $50-$100, PM me)
I collect music, of course. I prefer CDs, mp3 quality just isn't as good, but I've got plenty of mp3s, with the idea that I will someday have the album.
And then language books. I'm a language nerd...

Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 05:42 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 04:42 AM #21 of 117
Originally Posted by Oric
And then language books. I'm a language nerd...
Me too... I love to go to used book fairs/stores/etc. and buy big dictionaries and guides to learning languages, even though some of them I doubt I'll seriously learn. So far I have stuff on/in Spanish, Latin, German, Norwegian, Japanese, Russian, Italian, ancient Egyptian, Nahuatl, French and Dutch. I already (sortof) speak Spanish, want to learn Norwegian and Japanese, keep the German around for musical references, and the rest are passing fancies .

I forgot to mention the things I collect *now*: Liquor bottles, preferably hard liquor (ie: liqueurs, vodka, tequila, etc.) with unique or interesting bottles. And they have to be kept sealed, so all the liquor is intact with no taste testing. Of course, I don't like to drink, so this is easy for me -- maybe not for other people. I think it's hereditary as well, because my dad and two of his siblings also collect alcohol and work or have worked in bars.

I also collect classical LPs. They usually feature the best performers, stellar recordings (unless really scratched), and I can get things that have been out of print for decades for very little money. And usually classical records are in good shape, because nobody listens to them that often. Except for me .

How ya doing, buddy?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 08:32 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 06:32 AM #22 of 117
I like to collect post cards, and I have about 70-100 of them. Not that much, but whereever I go, even the stop overs at airports, I still buy a few of them as mementos.

I also do collect toys (see current sig LOL), but I try to go for more the collectability side in terms of quality than cheap mass produce toys. Most of them are Japanese based products which are generally made in China, except for plastic model kits - The Japanese are masters at producing those. Sup Hasegawa/Tamiya.

Originally Posted by Some guy I forgot to use the quote function on
I love to save almost every picture I find online that I even think for a second "thats cool" I have them organized into catergory folders in my "my pictures folder"
Same here. Besides going to /b/ and /othercartoonthreadslol/, I find myself in the Mecha thread quite a bit and picking up on all the cool pictures of various mecha animes, I'm constantly on the look out for more Macross and Patlabor (rare) related material.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

- What we all do best -
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 09:13 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 07:13 AM #23 of 117
Headphones. I already have a pair of Shure E4Gs and a pair of Grado SR-60s, and I just ordered a pair of Etymotic ER4Ss. I want to get a pair or AKG K701s and an Aria amplifier.

FELIPE NO

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 09:27 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 09:27 AM #24 of 117
Gemstones! =O Some Opaques (Cabs) and some Transparent (Facetable) ones. I shouldn't say "some". I've got quite a crapload to be honest.

I have about 300 different gems that are, on average, about the size of a marble (including a diamond and a fist-sized lump of gold. But that's a precious metal >_> I found it!).

Quite proud of me collection, I am~

Most amazing jew boots
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 09:39 AM #25 of 117
I collect a few things.

The first on my list, is that I collect Coins and the more popular State Quarters. In Fact, I have every quarter up to date except for this year. I also get the Proof Sets to each quarter year. A proof set is where they Double stamp the quarter to produce an extra vivid Image and then they seal it in an airtight container. They only com from San Fransisco anyways. I also collect some pennys. I have a 1914 Penny in my drawer right now that is worth around $100 and I only found it in my Grandma's Change can.

I also collect some collectable items as well. A poster and a Wheaties box of Mark McGwire (The Wheaties box is still unopened). Some hot wheels collectables. All that stuff.

I also collect Manga and Anime. The normal stuff.

Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > What do you collect?