Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Hiking Q&A

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 01:43 PM #1 of 22
Hiking Q&A

I must be crazy asking this on a gaming forum, but is anyone here an avid hiker? Specifically, I need advice on hiking in desert terrain. I hike pretty regularly during warm weather around here, but never in a desert climate.

My husband and I are taking our kids on a three day guided tour to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in June. I need advice on everything from recommended foot-gear to the type of clothing we will need to wear that time of year. I'm leaning toward those all-terrain shoes since you can walk in water and they're designed to dry off quickly, but I'm not sure if I should go with ankle boots for more support. Also, long sleeves or short? Most of the websites recommend long sleeves, even in the summer, but is there any particular material that is better than others?

The hike is 10 miles each way, and we're camping two nights in the bottom of the canyon. Any advice would be appreciated.

Most amazing jew boots
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 01:53 PM #2 of 22
Well obviously I'm going to do that. It just occurred to me this morning that there might be some people on GFF who live in Arizona or Nevada who might know a thing or two firsthand about hiking in the Grand Canyon, and that maybe someone could give me some "insider" tips.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Atomic Duck
Bunny Eat World!

Member 1407

Level 8.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:37 PM #3 of 22
Well, I'm not quite from Arizona or Nevada, but when I lived in California while I lived on the coast I spent more of my free time in the desert or mountains.
For shoes the all-terrain water resistant shoes you mentioned sound very good. But also make sure that you get something comfortable too. I've gone on some 20 mile round-trip hikes before, and my feet hurt like hell at the end, especially the first ones.
Also, I personally think you'd be insane to wear long sleeves at the Grand Canyon in the summer. I never hiked to the bottom of the canyon, but I think the reason they would recommend long sleeves is there are probably some sharp or otherwise nasty plants (by otherwise nasty I mean along the lines of poison oak or ivy or stinging nettles or whatever else type of plants are like that) or branches, either that or because the risk of sunburn is pretty high, which it most certainly is. But if you're careful and wear plenty of sunscreen I should think short sleeves would be a good deal more comfortable, especially in the afternoon when temperatures can easily soar well above 100.
As for pants, it's a tough call there. I like to wear shorts myself because they're cooler, but a lot of people like to wear long pants because they protect your legs.
Although I should mention I always dressed with temperature being the top priority as I don't take extreme heat (assuming "extreme heat" is anything above 100 degrees) too well and consider myself to be pretty tough otherwise. Longer clothes have their benifits, although even since I moved to Ohio my wardrobe of long pants or long-sleeved shirts hasn't grown too much so I'm not too familiar with what materials are cool. All I can think of off the top of my head for longer clothes is by all means avoid black and choose light colors.
Also, a hat and sunglasses are recommended to, so is plenty of water. And as a rule, if it's not covered with clothing cover it with sunscreen.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:31 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:31 AM #4 of 22
I'm a bit of a hiker myself, but I live in Oregon, where it's cold and wet. General tips I can give any fellow hiker:

Wear 2 pairs of socks, it helps prevent blisters. They make really thin socks that are made just for hiking. Some of them are made from material that helps keep your feet from getting all sweaty.

Bring Extra socks.

Take some extra gear with you, just in case. I always bring a flashlight, even if the hike will be over before it gets dark, you never know what might happen. I also take matches, a GOOD pocket knife (not those cheap swiss army things) one of the $0.99 rain ponchos, compass, a glow-stick, extra snacks, extra water, etc... It sounds like alot of stuff, but trust me there are times when it comes in handy.

Carry a pistol. I don't/won't go camping/hiking without one. I've encountered both bear and cougar while hiking, not to mention some strange people that I didn't like the look of. If anything bad happens to you out there, you're a long way from the nearest cop. You need to be able to take care of yourself...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 09:12 AM #5 of 22
Bring at least two different ways of starting a fire, and don't bring matches, unless they're waterproofed, strike-anywhere, and held in a safe watertight container.

I'd recommend one of those wind-proof lighters, or a piece of softsteel that you can use with flint to create sparks.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 09:33 AM #6 of 22
Oh, I forgot to mention that this is a guided tour and the tour-guide will bring all the fire-starting equipment, medical stuff like aspirin and band-aids and moleskin, and even our camping equipment. I think he carries it on a donkey. This guy even cooks all our meals and pitches our damn tents! I found out about that last night and was actually sort of embarrassed. =/

Anyway, those are good ideas. Atomic Duck, about the shirts, there's something called a "wicking shirt" that I'm supposed to get that has long sleeves and is white. It supposedly "wicks" all the heat away from your body and reflects sunlight. Ever heard of that? Also, I think you're right about shorts. I can't imagine wearing long pants down there.

David, I hadn't thought about the pistol, but that's a really good idea.

One of my concerns is that we're also taking two children. Well, one will be 17 at the time, so he's not really a child, but the other is 8, and the tour guide strongly recommended that he NOT carry a backpack. So we're going to have to distribute his extra clothes and stuff between the three of us.

Oh, one more question. Walking stick or no? Supposedly they issue you one, but I've never used one before and I hike quite a bit. Do you guys think I'll need it?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:14 AM #7 of 22
http://www.backpacking.net/walkstik.html

(about walking sticks)

FELIPE NO
Atomic Duck
Bunny Eat World!

Member 1407

Level 8.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:27 AM #8 of 22
Nope, I haven't heard of that wicking stuff. Sounds pretty cool though.

As for a walking stick, it's different on a person-to-person basis. Some people need 'em, some people prefer 'em, others do fine without them. If you do a lot of hiking I don't imagine you'll need one, but it also makes a difference whether you're used to hiking on flat ground, with some hills, or up and down mountains.

EDIT: Although the link in the post above me that for whatever reason I didn't see before making my post seems to be better on information for those than I am xp

How ya doing, buddy?
pianist
Musiker

Member 1155

Level 11.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:42 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 08:42 PM #9 of 22
It's pretty hard to make the decision of long sleeves or short ones...
I tend to wear long sleeves during hiking because they prevent more scratches and insects (i hate them, especially spiders and big ants)
Also long sleeves prevent getting bad sunburns...
But the problem is that you can be easily dehydrate in that way.
I personally wear lots even in Summer so it's okay with me. To be honest i've never been in a desert area myself so i shouldn't make any recommendation but even the hottest day can be very cold at night. Be sure you bring a good sleeping bag.
It's better if you have a pair of Hiking Boots on (great if they are water resistant, i think you can buy some sprayer to spray on the shoes to make them water resistants anyway), also wear hiking socks. Walk on those boots before you can on the hike, so you get use to it and prevent of getting twisted ankles or blisters.
Shorts are okay but it's better to have gaiters on if you wear shorts, in case of random insects or snakes...
Hats --this is important, get the ones which can cover your ears and necks as well because you can get very bad sunburns on those areas.
be sure to bring the following as well: Pocket knife, mobile, matches, torch or head torches, spare batteries, compass, map of that area, water purification tables, first aid kit.
It is also a good idea to keep the rucksack water proof and weight less than 20kg if you are going on foot.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:46 AM #10 of 22
Actually, you're less likely to dehydrate wearing long sleeves. This is because the cloth retains some of the moisture between the itself and the skin. Short sleeves means that it evaporates pretty fast, which leads to dehydration quicker. It's a stupid paradox .

"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Shiny McShine
Well, heilo there!

Member 460

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:51 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 04:51 AM #11 of 22
A few things to keep yourself more than well-prepared.

Bring a gun. Preferrably a high caliber pistol, since rifles are much more weight and serve just about the same purpose. (This is assuming you've fired at least one gun in your life)

A boot knife works well, but you can bring pretty much any kind of knife as long as it's sturdy and not some cheap shit you bought at the gas station.

Wear boots, but not anything over the top like galoshes. For gods sake make sure you are wearing shoes that are sturdy, but also make sure they are LIGHT, or else you will be weighed down by your feet after a couple of hours.

Bring bottles of water, of course. Do not, however, drink water that you bottled from a river unless you drink it quickly. Natural flowing water does not have the purifiers bottled water has, so once you drink it it can become bad if left sitting for too long. (Also, a good way to filter water is just get your shirt wet and then wring it out.)

Anyways, I know you're hiking in desert terrain, but these are just some general hiking tips.

And oh yeah, have fun!

David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:41 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 03:41 PM #12 of 22
Quote:
Also, a good way to filter water is just get your shirt wet and then wring it out
I do NOT recomend this... unless you want to get beaver feaver...

They make speacal filters for hiking and camping, or you can boil the water (to kill anything in it) if you have a stove. Those are the best ways to make sure your water is OK. Running water, like from a river or stream, is suposed to be safer than standing water (such as that from a pond or lake), but I'd still be careful are use the filter...

Edited to add:

For those of you who doen't know what Beaver Fever is:

http://www.bchealthguide.org/healthfiles/hfile10.stm

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 06:52 PM #13 of 22
Originally Posted by Shiny McShine
Bring a gun. Preferrably a high caliber pistol, since rifles are much more weight and serve just about the same purpose. (This is assuming you've fired at least one gun in your life)
THE HELL? She's going with a tourguide down to the Colorado, I am assuming. Believe me - I DOUBT she'll need a gun.

Apparently, there are mountain lions out there. Which is fucking AWESOME, but you know, be realistic. Don't leave any goddamned food out. I am sure your guide will tell you this shit, but I've come face-to-face with a bear while camping out in the wilderness. While he was only a black bear, its KIND OF TERRIFYING to see this huge, giant animal there in seach of food - and you're right in front of him.

Water, water, water. I was there in a blizzard, but let me tell you - there was NO SNOW in the lower levels of that canyon. Imagine in the summertime. Its a lot of dirt and rock, and water won't be everywhere. I read on the pamphlet for hiking that you should be drinking MORE than a gallon a day while hiking.

We still have the hiker handbook we got from the shop - maybe I can scan it for you or something? My sister wants to hike that shit like a motherfucker - she's planning a huge tour of the canyon with her friends when she graduates. She looked into all the hiking crap.

Incidentally, around the rims of the canyon, its almost all forest. I was surprised to find this, actually. Most of the perimeter about 10 miles away from the canyon itself is pretty basic desert with a little scattered vegetation. But right there at the edge, theres not too much desert. It looked a lot like New England, actually. There were some really interesting plants though - you'll love it.

Here's a link straight to the GC hiking page.

You won't regret it. Its amazing. I just hope none of you are afraid of heights. I could hardly look over the edge!

David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:09 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 04:09 PM #14 of 22
Quote:
THE HELL? She's going with a tourguide down to the Colorado, I am assuming. Believe me - I DOUBT she'll need a gun.
She probably won't need any emergancy gear, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea to have it...

Most amazing jew boots
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:12 PM #15 of 22
Originally Posted by David4516
She probably won't need any emergancy gear, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea to have it...
I would never recommend a woman hauling a gun around in the wilderness when her husband is some military dude. (No offense, ladies. But I admit I'd rather a man handle the Weapon of Death.)

If you really insist on bringing a gun Alice, have your husband carry it? PLEASE? ;_;

People there are so very considerate of each other and they're not very destructive or anything. I can't imagine ANYONE horrible trying to hike the "eighth wonder of the world" to rob a few hikers in a canyon.

Unless you're talking about warding off animals for protection? In which case, you'd have QUITE the issue on your hands if you shot a wild animal on national land.

FELIPE NO
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:18 PM #16 of 22
And don't drink water from the stream without putting a purification tablet in it. It leaves the water tasting weird, but at least all the stuff in it dies and won't make you sick.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:20 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 04:20 PM #17 of 22
Quote:
If you really insist on bringing a gun Alice, have your husband carry it? PLEASE? ;_;
Wow, thats the most sexist thing I've heard all week.

Again, it's been my experiance that going out in the middle of nowhere without a pistol is a BAD idea...

Now, I'm not saying that just ANYBODY should carry a pistol, you should have some experiance with guns if you're going to pack one around with you. However I do encourage campers/hikers to gain that experiance and to then carry a gun...

Quote:
Unless you're talking about warding off animals for protection? In which case, you'd have QUITE the issue on your hands if you shot a wild animal on national land.
True, but I'd rather have some legal issues to deal with than be injured or killed by a wild animal...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:22 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 05:22 PM #18 of 22
How is it sexist? Her husband is in the military, and has been trained at LENGTH I assume in handling firearms and firearm safety.

If a couple are going camping and the husband is a doctor, would you find it sexist for him to be the one to carry the first aid kit?

Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:30 PM #19 of 22
Originally Posted by David4516
Wow, thats the most sexist thing I've heard all week.
AND IMAGINE. I'M FEMALE!

Yea, I'm sure Alice is a rifle-toting soccer mom who shoots VILLIANS OF THE WEST with her free time! Why should she expect her HUSBAND - a MILITARY OFFICER - to do anything for her?

You see, if I was married to a military guy, I would KNOW he's experienced with weaponry. I would trust him A HELL OF A LOT MORE than myself with a gun. And usually, if someone else in my group is better than me at doing something which is needed, I LET THEM DO IT.

Quote:
True, but I'd rather have some legal issues to deal with than be injured or killed by a wild animal...
You know, there are OTHER WAYS of warding off wild, hungry animals other than SHOOTING TO KILL.

David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:59 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 04:59 PM #20 of 22
Whoa, settle down people...

How the hell am I suposed to know what Alice's level of experiance is? For all I know she could be very knowlegdeable. Also, being in the millitary doesn't make you a gun expert. They don't train everyone how to use a pistol...

Also, who is to say that they both can't carry a gun?

Moving on, I assumed that your comment meant that you wouldn't trust a woman with a gun.

Quote:
You know, there are OTHER WAYS of warding off wild, hungry animals other than SHOOTING TO KILL.
True, however they don't always work, and there are also 2-legged animals (aka humans) to worry about...

Quote:
AND IMAGINE. I'M FEMALE!
Again, how was I suposed to know that?

StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:01 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 07:01 PM #21 of 22
Yeah, as has been said, as far as shoes go I'd recommend the small, light water-resistant type of boot that's comfortable in the sole. If you're buying them new, make sure to wear them around enough to break them in before you leave. For socks, I'd recommend thick alpaca socks that are designed for hiking (breathable and comfortable). Thanks to the above combination, I had no blisters after a two day thirty-two mile hike through the deserts of Wyoming, when most other people did.

Long sleeve shirts would probably be best, and simple cotton-polyester blends have always worked well for me.

I'd also recommend treating your clothes with Permethrin before you go; it really helps keep the bugs away.

Don't forget sunglasses, and hats that shade all sides of your head (the back of your neck, in particular).

Lastly, it's probably already evident, but make sure no one in your family wears boxers or any other form of loose undergarment. Boxers can become quite painful after a lot of walking.

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:41 PM #22 of 22
I am seriously going to print out this entire thread for future reference.

Our tour-guide will be toting everything for us on donkeys. We just found out today that after May this company doesn't even allow you to carry in your own backpack, and like I said, we're going in June. All you are allowed is a walking stick and a fanny pack and your stuff will be waiting for you at the bottom of the canyon. You don't even carry your own water...the mules do it for you.

As far as the gun thing goes, my husband will most likely carry one. He's very skilled with weapons and I suck at them. I've been target shooting before, but I'm not very good.

I've decided that we're all definitely going to go with the all-terrain type shoes versus standard hiking boots. Also, we're going to spring for those long-sleeved wicking shirts.

Sass, I can't wait to see your pictures. Thanks for all the advice, guys. =)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Hiking Q&A