Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Ask a pianist.

rocketdog
formerly known as Green

Member 483

Level 23.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:07 PM #151 of 165
Originally Posted by LeHah
As much as I want to learn piano, composition and music theory interests me far more. What suggestions can you make so I don't end up like Phillip Glass?
If you want to do composition and music theory, you will end up learning piano along the way no matter what. But I don't think you should delve into any theory or composition without understanding the fundamentals of piano. So I suggest you do the opposite of your post - learn piano

FELIPE NO
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:14 PM #152 of 165
I've tried to get piano lessons but they're a touch expensive and I don't really have a good schedual to work it out. I have a keyboard at home and a Piano For Dummies book but I don't think its is something you teach yourself per se.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
pianist
Musiker

Member 1155

Level 11.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:52 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 01:52 PM #153 of 165
Originally Posted by eriol
Oh yeah, when you do free improvisation, what key do you play at? I mostly play in Cm or C. That's because I practiced from wrong root... two years ago I started to improvise Ballade in Cm by Buergmuller. Since then my mind seems unconsciously play the motifs of that song.

Sigh, I really wish could play in another key. Is there any tips to practice playing in another keys? (I would love to play in Gb, my favorite key.) I feel stucked in keyboard improvisation. While people could improvise pop songs, I could only play in Cm...
free improvisation....i don't do that often, i only do it when i'm playing in a rock band, i never go and check out the key properly i just play what ever feels okay and suit with the key. If you have perfect pitch, improvising is going to be easy for you, for people who don't have perfect pitch, it requires experience practice and preparation.
YOu can first check the style and the key the piece is in and using scales that will suit the piece first then later on you can develop your own improvisation.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vivace119
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1279

Level 21.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 02:28 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 08:28 AM #154 of 165
I've tried to get piano lessons but they're a touch expensive and I don't really have a good schedual to work it out. I have a keyboard at home and a Piano For Dummies book but I don't think its is something you teach yourself per se.
You can certainly teach yourself something like music theory, there are some excellent books you can get. Even if you are not willing to spend money than there are also good websites.

Of course it is very valuable to get a teacher to work through other factors than theory such as technique, interpretation etc.

Most amazing jew boots
evil_mercenary
the real sephiroth clone...

Member 2315

Level 2.97

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 02:33 AM Local time: May 19, 2006, 08:33 AM #155 of 165
is there any easy way that i can make my playing sound more legato and flowing? and is there any way to improve the speed of my fingers easily? i'm trying to play 'can't say goodbye to yesterday'
i posted the sheet music on this thread if you would like to see what i'm so stuck with: http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/au...criptions.html

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fighting was the only thing, the only thing i was good at. but.. atleast ii always fought for what i believed in! snake... farewell...

grey fox's last words. HIDEO KOJIMA
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 04:43 AM Local time: May 19, 2006, 02:43 AM #156 of 165
Are there any pieces that you have memorized, haven't played for awhile, and find yourself having to re-learn the entire piece again?

Wait, in addition to that, is memorizing a piece even necessary? I've been asked by instructors to do this come recitals.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Luckee Cookie
Chocobo

Member 203

Level 11.54

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 12:16 PM #157 of 165
@Kazyl:

1. Yes, many chopin pieces completely fall out of my hands after a few years without touching them; although I find it alot easier to pick it up (re learning) after a few good slow reads and your hand jumps back into the grove.

2. Recital wize it dosn't really matter weither you memorize or not however it always looks more proffessional with it memorized. Some people find sheet music infront of them as disstracting but others find it as a "security blanket" so that really depends how you're comfortable with it.
===========================
@ evil_mercenary

All I have to say is try to get the sustain pedal to work for you for more of a legato sound and because of some of the runs on the left hand, perhaps it might be more adquate to try half pedaling it instead here and there to try to link up some of the gaps. But other than that it's just a matter of practicing close to the keyboard and figuring if there's a better figuring (ie. instead of lifing fingers to change hand positions, you might like to hold the key and transition your hand position if there's enough time and then carry on)
===========================

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Luckee Cookie; May 22, 2006 at 12:40 PM.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 12:24 PM #158 of 165
Originally Posted by Vivace119
You can certainly teach yourself something like music theory, there are some excellent books you can get. Even if you are not willing to spend money than there are also good websites.
Could you give me examples of good books? I'm exceedingly interested in this subject and it would really help when I do interviews.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Vivace119
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1279

Level 21.27

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 11:12 AM Local time: May 24, 2006, 05:12 PM #159 of 165
Could you give me examples of good books? I'm exceedingly interested in this subject and it would really help when I do interviews.
See this link:-

http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/mu...ng-thread.html

Also check out - http://www.musictheory.net/

If you are looking to purchase a book that will give you a good start to music theory : http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/018427/details.html

After going through the book from the link above you will already be well equipped to learn piano. Even after going through the first few chapters (which aren't that long) you will have learn the basics.

I don't like the Associated Board books that make you buy many books just to learn a few basics.

FELIPE NO
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 12:54 PM #160 of 165
Originally Posted by Vivace119
If you are looking to purchase a book that will give you a good start to music theory : http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/018427/details.html
Heres a strange question: Is the book stupid? I want it to be stupid! I want it to be as simple and easy to understand as possible.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Vivace119
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1279

Level 21.27

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 05:44 PM Local time: May 24, 2006, 11:44 PM #161 of 165
Heres a strange question: Is the book stupid? I want it to be stupid! I want it to be as simple and easy to understand as possible.
You will be glad to know that it is very simple. The thing is though, basic Music theory is simple to learn like many things. It is only the foundation though and so the difficult task in this context is becoming a great pianist.

Seriously, you will have no difficulty getting through this book fairly quickly. You also fill out small exercises as you go through to make sure that you've got the grasp of each section. You can check your answers are correct in the back pages as well.

Hope this helps.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
josho
J-Bird

Member 3988

Level 15.28

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 12:52 PM #162 of 165
I've been having trouble playing parts of songs where the left hand will play a basic eighth note melody while the right hand will play triplets.
I can almost accomplish playing these parts except my left hand will not play the eighth notes flowingly. Instead they're very jumpy, due to my right hand playing the triplets.
I know if I keep at it i'll probably get the swing of it, but I was wondering if anyone knew a piece or had some advice that could make mastering these parts quicker and/or easier for me.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Luckee Cookie
Chocobo

Member 203

Level 11.54

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 07:40 AM #163 of 165
In cases of off-set timeing on both hands, I ususaly do pattern practice with the left hand meaning I staggard in patterns such as long-short-short or short-long-long type of patterns because that helps out a better control of having your eigths 'flow'. But as of two hands, all I can say is just to practice very well on your left hand so when you go to play with both hands, you can go to "auto-pilot" with your left hand and it would only be a matter of fitting your right hand into time. And if all due fails, i can't have much to recomend other than just practice it out slowly until it comes second nature (hahahaha.... for all us piano geeks out there )

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
josho
J-Bird

Member 3988

Level 15.28

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 10:15 AM #164 of 165
Thanks alot for the advice Luckee Cookie.
I'm sure i'll get this off-set timing soon enough .

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zato-1
Banned

Member 6345

Level 6.62

May 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 04:11 PM Local time: May 30, 2006, 11:11 PM #165 of 165
Hijacking threads kicks ass... heheh..

I was speaking idiomatically.
Zato-1 : He actually said " Just for the hell of it"

Bigblah is fucking awesome..!

CryHavoc : Way to suck up to the mods.

Zato-1 : Admins you fool, ADMINS, BUWAHAHAHAHAH!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Ask a pianist.