Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Put All Audio Questions Here

LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:17 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2008, 12:17 AM #226 of 252
You repeat yourself...

The Gameshark does nothing more than to modify memory location, either manipulating game code or game data (or both, as we know that a lot of N64 catridges do run-time code transformation).

If you have read the link I gave you, you now know that the N64 has no standard way of playing back SFX and music data, that's the main reason why it's so hard to rip music.

Should be clear by now why no universal memory hack exists for disable SFX playback. You would have to figure out (by disassembling and tracing) for each game which part of the gamecode generates SFX and passes it to the DSP of the N64. Then you patch that part of the code and make a diff, resulting in your gameshark code.
That's not easier than creating a USF.

Most amazing jew boots
Rew
Syklis Green

Member 19131

Level 8.78

Feb 2007

Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:50 PM #227 of 252
You repeat yourself...

The Gameshark does nothing more than to modify memory location, either manipulating game code or game data (or both, as we know that a lot of N64 catridges do run-time code transformation).

If you have read the link I gave you, you now know that the N64 has no standard way of playing back SFX and music data, that's the main reason why it's so hard to rip music.

Should be clear by now why no universal memory hack exists for disable SFX playback. You would have to figure out (by disassembling and tracing) for each game which part of the gamecode generates SFX and passes it to the DSP of the N64. Then you patch that part of the code and make a diff, resulting in your gameshark code.
That's not easier than creating a USF.
Oh...I see the connection now. Thanks. Yeah, I did read the link you posted, but I didn't see how that answered my question until you explained it just now. (I repeated myself because I wasn't sure if your post was directed at me to begin with. )

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:46 AM Local time: Jan 8, 2008, 04:46 PM #228 of 252
Recording net radio: HOW TO?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
trackjacket
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 22470

Level 13.94

May 2007

Old Feb 18, 2008, 02:19 AM #229 of 252
I've begun working on my first .GBS conversion, and I have a few questions.

First off, I saw that this was covered briefly earlier in this thread, but when applying replaygain info to tracks, is there any way to prevent native clipping from a .GBS file? (I guess that would be the best way to describe it.) I did a replaygain scan with Foobar2000 v0.9.4.2 and noticed all tracks are above the ideal 1.00 dB track gain value, not to mention one of the tracks being at 11.15 dB... So, I guess my question is, since I can't apply replaygain to the .GBS file itself (to my knowledge) after converting the tracks to .FLAC (.WAV can't store replaygain info, AFAIK), can I still apply replaygain? Or, would it not make a difference at all?

Second, are there are any recommended freeware audio editing programs you would suggest?

Finally, I've never really done any audio editing before, so any suggested guides/instructions/tips for the audio editing process would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I'm using Audacity to do some experimental editing. I've ripped/encoded a sample track, if anyone wants to critique it and give me any suggestions. Thanks, again.

Kaeru.mp3

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by trackjacket; Feb 19, 2008 at 01:01 AM.
BT12345
Carob Nut

Member 1353

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2008, 09:42 PM #230 of 252
What is the best program to edit audio tags?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2008, 07:29 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2008, 10:29 PM #231 of 252
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

This track contains artifacts at 1:03, 3:13 and a ripper at 4:35, more at 6:32 and 6:35, as well as skipping at 5:29. But are they rip/handling related or is it a problem with the mastering? The disc's part of a 7CD set that arrived last week, and the others are totally flawless. There's only the barest scuffing on the problem disc.

I've reripped it twice, presuming hardware hiccups, but every time EAC error correction didn't detect anything amiss.

If it's a mastering issue, is there any possiblity for correction? If it's (somehow) physical damage, what else is there to do?

FELIPE NO
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE

Last edited by Cal; Jun 22, 2008 at 07:44 AM.
sup!
sup?

Member 6795

Level 11.34

May 2006

Old Jun 22, 2008, 07:15 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2008, 02:15 AM 1 #232 of 252
Sometimes using burst-mode in EAC helps with badly scratched discs. If there're no scratches then it's probalby a mastering issue.

You could edit the wave file and cut the erroneous frames out.

How ya doing, buddy?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:38 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2008, 10:38 AM 1 #233 of 252
Or enable C2 with secure mode (usually most guides advice you to disable it), if the drive logic correctly implements C2 error reporting and there are any (which can't be detected through C1), then EAC should provide a more precise report of possible error positions.

@sup!: I would advice against cutting out frames, which results in audible dropouts. Filtering the frames plus surrounding frames should be better.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:44 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2008, 07:44 PM #234 of 252
It isn't badly scratched though, but regardless I'll try burst then fiddle with C2 reporting.

How ya doing, buddy?
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:14 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 12:14 PM #235 of 252
Well I made a journal entry but since no one responded, I guess I'll ask here:

If I have an mp3 file, what's the ideal bitrate for an .ogg conversion?

96kbps, 128kbps, something else? Thanks if you know.

LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:21 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 08:21 PM #236 of 252
Never transcode lossy -> lossy

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:29 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 01:29 PM #237 of 252
While there's truth to this, it doesn't exactly answer his question.

I honestly know nothing about the OGG format, having never worked with it. Talk to Rimo or Killy; they would have the answer for you.

Most amazing jew boots
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:43 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 12:43 PM #238 of 252
Ok yeah, but that doesn't answer my question. I need to convert some .mp3 files to .ogg and I want to know the appropriate bitrate to do so at.

Man why is it so hard to just get a direct answer to a direct question nowdays?

Ask Rimo or Killy eh? Alright.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:22 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 09:22 PM #239 of 252
Well, the problem with your question is that you can't really answer it.

Plus: the question is incomplete. "ideal bitrate" <- ideal for WHAT? To retain perceived audio quality? To retain previous filesize?

So what you should ask yourself is: why do I even need to reencode? And if it's absolutely necessary, why isn't there no (uncompressed) source material available?

Additionaly the answer to the question also depends on more than just the source bitrate of the file. What encoder was used? Which version, what options, and so on.

And keep in mind that Ogg Vorbis is inherently VBR. Some GUIs displays something like a target bitrate, but that's purely based on some test encodes.

If you just need to transcode to give someone a demo of Vorbis I'd say: use quality level 5.0 and hope that the source material was properly encoded.

If you're up to transcode some music collection -> JUST DON'T DO IT

FELIPE NO
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:39 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 01:39 PM #240 of 252
Alright, I guess I should have provided more info, but I didn't think it mattered:

I have some sound effects files and also music files. I'm using them for a project of mine, but for reasons I'd rather not get into, I cannot use .mp3 right now. I have the option of MIDI, Ogg Vorbis, WAV.... or .wma (Which I do not deal with at all just out of principle). While I would go with WAV, the file-size will likely be prohibitively large for the music files at least. Plus, .ogg files in my experience tend to sound well even at lower bitrates, but we come back to my original question: What is the average bitrate that would be most appropriate? As you just said above, the reason is perceived audio quality.

The files were orignally .mp3 and I don't think I can find an uncompressed source.

However a second sub-question arises: Should I be able to find lossless versions of said files, what is the best file-type to, again, convert to .wav or .ogg? FLAC? APE? WAV (CD Audio)?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 04:12 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 10:12 PM #241 of 252
I have some sound effects files and also music files. I'm using them for a project of mine, but for reasons I'd rather not get into, I cannot use .mp3 right now.
I suspect patent issues

I have the option of MIDI, Ogg Vorbis, WAV.... or .wma (Which I do not deal with at all just out of principle).
I wouldn't be surprised it you'd also end up with patent issues when using WMA.

While I would go with WAV, the file-size will likely be prohibitively large for the music files at least.
Yeah, usually not a good idea to include purely uncompressed music. Have you though about using some lossless codec, like FLAC? You already mention it below, but not on your list with codecs available.

Plus, .ogg files in my experience tend to sound well even at lower bitrates, but we come back to my original question: What is the average bitrate that would be most appropriate? As you just said above, the reason is perceived audio quality.
I would aim for quality setting 5.0, but probably you should approach the problem from another side. You mentioned that this is some sort of (software?) project. So you possibly have a target filesize for the final (setup) package. Maybe you should figure out the maximum size of the audio you can include and then tweak the Vorbis quality setting so you end up with something around that filesize.

The files were orignally .mp3 and I don't think I can find an uncompressed source.
Well. Like I already said: It's hard to answer that kind of target bitrate questions when transcoding is done. You probably want to check some quality settings and then decide what your minimum quality target should be.

However a second sub-question arises: Should I be able to find lossless versions of said files, what is the best file-type to, again, convert to .wav or .ogg? FLAC? APE? WAV (CD Audio)?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand.

So you assume you have source material in lossless form. What exactly is your question? What the target format should be, or is it about the source format?

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 04:18 PM #242 of 252
As LiquidAcid brought forth, -q 5 should be ideal to get a great sound with a moderate filesize. It is the setting Hydrogenaudio recommends to achieve transparency (no perceivable quality loss), so using a higher setting is somewhat pointless for standard listening purpose.

Since you'll be transcoding from MP3, there will be additional quality loss. If your goal is to get excellent audio quality, you might want to try a higher setting and verify if there would be any difference. But I think going with -q 5 should be good enough. On the other hand, if space limitations would be problematic, you could also use a lower setting. If you're uncertain, do some tests with the different settings and find out which would suit your needs best!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:35 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 06:35 PM #243 of 252
Alright, that helped me out more, thanks Liquid and Rimo. I'll do a few experiments and see what works best.

As for my second question. The source files were mp3, however, if I were to come across a lossless audio file and I wanted to convert it, which lossless format would be best to convert to .ogg or .wav? If there is no "best" format for lossless, then nevermind

Hope that is more understandable.

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:57 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2008, 10:57 AM #244 of 252
Lossless is lossless. There is no 'best' format, other than space and compatibility. For instance, using WAV will give maximum compatibility since any PC out there can play it, but it's a huge space hog.

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:28 AM Local time: Nov 17, 2008, 11:28 AM #245 of 252
Like AVI and WAV also OGG is only a container format, so it can contain various formats. Most of the time it contains Vorbis data (and Vorbis is NOT lossless), but can also contain FLAC (which IS lossless).

I was speaking idiomatically.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2008, 06:49 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2008, 04:49 PM #246 of 252
I have an audio question. I am having trouble with specific kinds of pops and clicks in the waveforms I edit. Most of them are short, only a few samples long, and usually centered in the 2000 to 8000 and 10000 to 15000hz range. The person whose voice I am recording has a very clicky vocal tract, so there are a ton of these errors. I am editing these files in Adobe Audition 3, and the included pop and click filter is completely useless for removing these errors, unless I do each of them individually. Is there any software out there that has more powerful pop removal that can be applied to an entire waveform, or large parts of it? It is very tedious to remove all of these manually.

How ya doing, buddy?

kroket
Wark!

Member 233

Level 3.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:02 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 09:02 PM #247 of 252
Question

I have an audio-question about Ipod. I have downloaded some cd's and on my computer they are grouped in nice folders. When i try to import the music folder on my ipod in I-tunes it turns up into a mess. All tracks that start with numer 1 are grouped together. I know that you can manually import the cd-info in I-tunes, but that will be a lot of work. Is there a simple way to import your music folder from the computer to I-tunes, in a way that the cd's stay in the right order? Thanks for the help.

FELIPE NO
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:45 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 12:45 PM #248 of 252
The only way to do what you are asking is to install some kind of third party software on the iPod, such as Rockbox. Then you can choose whether to browse by ID3 tag data or using a directory tree.

It will also allow you to simply drag folders directly onto the iPod and browse them normally.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Jinzo
Chocobo

Member 998

Level 13.48

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 03:32 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2009, 01:32 AM #249 of 252
Wasn't sure where to post this but I was wondering if anybody can help me find a way to convert XM (extended files I think what they are called) into any other formart (wav, mp3, etc...) Haven't been able to find a good answer that helps me out. Thankz in advance to anybody who helps me out.

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 03:35 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2009, 04:35 PM #250 of 252
Home

Alternatively, install http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/132367 and set Disk Writer as the output on Winamp

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Put All Audio Questions Here