Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Put All Audio Questions Here

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:06 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 10:06 PM #1 of 252
Lucas - I've got just the program you need: Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer.
It can output to mp3 (You can select Bitrate and Encoder), WAV, WMA, and RealAudio, although I doubt ANYONE would use those last two. Let me know when you downloaded it, so I can give you the serial. The program is like 5 and a half MBs unpacked, so downloading it should be quick.

Most amazing jew boots
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:14 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 12:14 PM #2 of 252
Well I made a journal entry but since no one responded, I guess I'll ask here:

If I have an mp3 file, what's the ideal bitrate for an .ogg conversion?

96kbps, 128kbps, something else? Thanks if you know.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:43 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 12:43 PM #3 of 252
Never transcode lossy -> lossy
Ok yeah, but that doesn't answer my question. I need to convert some .mp3 files to .ogg and I want to know the appropriate bitrate to do so at.

Man why is it so hard to just get a direct answer to a direct question nowdays?

Ask Rimo or Killy eh? Alright.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:39 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 01:39 PM #4 of 252
Alright, I guess I should have provided more info, but I didn't think it mattered:

I have some sound effects files and also music files. I'm using them for a project of mine, but for reasons I'd rather not get into, I cannot use .mp3 right now. I have the option of MIDI, Ogg Vorbis, WAV.... or .wma (Which I do not deal with at all just out of principle). While I would go with WAV, the file-size will likely be prohibitively large for the music files at least. Plus, .ogg files in my experience tend to sound well even at lower bitrates, but we come back to my original question: What is the average bitrate that would be most appropriate? As you just said above, the reason is perceived audio quality.

The files were orignally .mp3 and I don't think I can find an uncompressed source.

However a second sub-question arises: Should I be able to find lossless versions of said files, what is the best file-type to, again, convert to .wav or .ogg? FLAC? APE? WAV (CD Audio)?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:35 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2008, 06:35 PM #5 of 252
Alright, that helped me out more, thanks Liquid and Rimo. I'll do a few experiments and see what works best.

As for my second question. The source files were mp3, however, if I were to come across a lossless audio file and I wanted to convert it, which lossless format would be best to convert to .ogg or .wav? If there is no "best" format for lossless, then nevermind

Hope that is more understandable.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Put All Audio Questions Here