Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Lossless Format
Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) 3 5.26%
Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) 40 70.18%
Lossless Audio (LA) 0 0%
Lossless Predictive Audio Coder (LPAC) 0 0%
Monkey's Audio (MAC or APE) 6 10.53%
OptimFROG (OFR) 1 1.75%
RealAudio Lossless (RAL) 0 0%
Shorten (SHN) 0 0%
True Audio (TTA) 0 0%
WavPack (WV) 3 5.26%
Windows Media Audio Lossless (WMAL) 1 1.75%
MPEG-4 Audio Lossless Coding (MPEG4 ALS) 0 0%
PCM (WAV, AIFF, RAW, etc.) 1 1.75%
Other 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Format War: Your Favorite Lossless Format

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:39 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 08:39 PM #1 of 35
Format War: Your Favorite Lossless Format

We all know MP3 is easily the dominant lossy format (with WMA, AAC, OGG and MPC far behind), but amoung the lossless it's a slightly different story. Lacking any widespread mainstream adaption, it's at best a 2-4 way war. Which comes to the question, what (if any) is your preferred lossless format? Give some explaination, what makes you choose Real Lossless (probably not ) over FLAC?

Monkey's Audio is by far my favorite format. I've heard people whine about decoding time and seeking, but what other lossless format encodes so quickly and with such high compression raitos (the 'fast' mode compresses just as good as FLAC under almost any circumstances)? MAC was designed as a syncronous codec, meaning it compresses/decompresses equally fast. This may sound bad for decoding, but 10x encoding/decoding is not bad on a 1st generation Athlon, especially considering that FLAC (at its best compression settings), spits out files larger in size and takes an extremely longer time to encode.
Yes seeking on APE files is slow (especially in APE/CUE files compressed with settings greater than "High"). Even the argument that FLAC is better because it can be played on more platforms is slowly starting to be untrue (with the somewhat loose closed source nature of the program).
So while I'll accept a FLAC file from someone else, MAC is my cup of tea for my lossless needs.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:54 PM #2 of 35
WavPack does everything FLAC does and more. The only drawback is that it's not supported on many devices. But I mean, if you want to listen to it off your computer you can burn it to CD-R as audio or transcode it to 320 (which contains as many frequencies as the human ear can hear).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Slogra
Wark!

Member 1085

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 02:04 AM #3 of 35
Originally Posted by Eleo
WavPack does everything FLAC does and more. The only drawback is that it's not supported on many devices.
Rockbox supports FLAC and Wavpack. Rockbox is alternative firmware for a number of portable audio players. I got it on my iRiver H140 and it's awesome.

They wanted to include the Monkey's Audio format but they stumbled on these problems:
Quote:
Problem: The Monkey's Audio license is not open source compatible, since you are not allowed to use it without express written permission from the author. Discussions have been held about relicensing under LGPL, but no progress since may '04. -- BjornStenberg

The codec is heavily x86-centric with lots of x86 assembly to speed up parts of the code - particularly a neural network. Unless it's very heavily optimized for 68K, it won't run real-time. And some compression modes (Extra high, Insane) probably won't run no matter how much you optimize it - RobertoAmorim
That's a good reason not to like Monkey's Audio, i'd say.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 02:56 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 11:56 PM #4 of 35
I voted for FLAC, since it's the only one I have used that I have liked. It's also the most common lossless format people are using, in my experience...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 05:27 AM #5 of 35
FLAC, because in a comparison done some time ago (on HA, I think) it was found to be the best lossless codec overall - good compression, low CPU usage, fairly robust......

Another nice thing about FLAC is that you can put it in an OGG container.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:08 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2006, 11:08 AM #6 of 35
I chose FLAC, mainly because other people use it over APE and those other formats. I rip CDs in FLAC as well and so I hope other people will be able to play and enjoy them to the max.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 03:30 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2006, 01:30 PM #7 of 35
For those wanting to know how almost all known lossless formats stack up, check this comparison.

Also of particular interest to FLAC users: use the attached FLAC compressor. It's known to compress/decompress faster and produce smaller FLAC files, while maintaining 100% compatiblity with all FLAC decoders.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Kaiten; Jun 29, 2006 at 04:53 PM.
Slogra
Wark!

Member 1085

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 02:15 AM #8 of 35
Which Flac encoder from that comparison is that? "Flac - CVS" or "Flac - Garf"?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:48 AM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 08:48 AM #9 of 35
Originally Posted by Slogra
Which Flac encoder from that comparison is that? "Flac - CVS" or "Flac - Garf"?
The Garf encoder. The CVS one is unstable (based on latest builds) while the Garf encoder is stable. While CVS gets more compression than Garf, the difference is so extremely tiny (less than 500KB on all but the slowest settings), it doesn't even matter.

Last edited by Kaiten; Jun 30, 2006 at 12:11 PM.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:01 AM #10 of 35
Originally Posted by Slogra
Rockbox supports FLAC and Wavpack. Rockbox is alternative firmware for a number of portable audio players. I got it on my iRiver H140 and it's awesome.
Although I still don't know why you would want to put any lossless file directly onto a portable device when you can transcode to mp3 and save space.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:57 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 10:57 AM #11 of 35
Maybe because you value audio quality on the go or use the thing as a portable hard drive for a car audio player or something? There would be many legitmate uses for lossless on the go, Eleo.

And FLAC is by far the superior format. Sure, it takes longer to encode than it does to decode, as mentioned above, but that's good because most of the time I'm only encoding something ONCE, and listening to it a lot.

And encoding really doesn't take that long anyway in my experience. You're not really wasting much time with the medium settings.

I wonder who voted for OFR?

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:27 PM #12 of 35
But the audio quality of a 320kbps mp3 is audibly identical to a lossless file; ie no normal human can hear the removed frequencies. Thus I can think of no reason why you would want to place lossless audio on a portable device when mp3s accomplish the same ends and save disk space.

Most amazing jew boots
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 06:19 AM Local time: Jul 4, 2006, 09:19 PM #13 of 35
Originally Posted by nananananananana Flacmaaaan
I can think of no reason why you would want to place use lossless audio on a portable device at all when mp3s accomplish the same ends and save disk space.
Oh hey look, that's my rationale

LlooooydGEEEOOORGE

Last edited by Cal; Jul 4, 2006 at 06:22 AM.
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2006, 09:32 AM #14 of 35
Originally Posted by ArrowHead
FLAC, because in a comparison done some time ago (on HA, I think) it was found to be the best lossless codec overall - good compression, low CPU usage, fairly robust......

Another nice thing about FLAC is that you can put it in an OGG container.
Those are also reasons why I use it, that, plus it's open source IIRC...

Last edited by sabbey; Jul 4, 2006 at 12:35 PM.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 01:15 PM #15 of 35
Originally Posted by Cal
Oh hey look, that's my rationale
So which lossless format did you vote for?

FELIPE NO
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:55 AM #16 of 35
But the audio quality of a 320kbps mp3 is audibly identical to a lossless file; ie no normal human can hear the removed frequencies. Thus I can think of no reason why you would want to place lossless audio on a portable device when mp3s accomplish the same ends and save disk space.
Actually, there are plenty of instances where a lossy encoding will sound very different from the original. To put it really simply, these are cases where the encoder screws up.

Search HydrogenAudio and you'll find a list of "problem samples" which are known to give encoders trouble.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:03 PM #17 of 35
"Plenty of instances", or "a small chance that"?

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:03 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 09:03 PM #18 of 35
If I recall correctly, LAME (and the mp3 format itself) has trouble handling audio data above 16kHz. 320kbps is a waste of space for me, VBR or Lossless.

And since Monkey's Audio is slowly picking up again (with Linux decoders working), I see a bright future for it. All I want now is native ReplayGain and better seeking, and I'll never need to see FLAC on my HDD ever again. Though I'm curious about MPEG-4 lossless as well, the tests I saw had good compression with fast decoding, a lossless standard would help get more lossless rips out there (we badly need an mp3 of lossless).

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:21 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 08:21 PM #19 of 35
Good luck getting many to make the move from FLAC to APE...

Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 01:14 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 10:14 PM #20 of 35
If you're referring to mac, I've barely gotten that thing to work, and no player I'd consider using (Musik or MPD exclusively) supports it. mac was also the biggest pain in the ass to get installed, since the usual make chain didn't work for me with it (much less a lacking of documentation); this was all about one month ago, by the way.

I voted FLAC, for the simple reason that my players support it, and the decoder on Linux works perfectly. Add to that the really low decode time compared to APE when both run with high compression, and I find it to be the winner by leaps and bounds.

The only reason I even have mac installed anymore is to rip things from APE and dump them to FLAC so my players can use it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 06:06 PM #21 of 35
"Plenty of instances", or "a small chance that"?
A very real chance.

Originally Posted by Kaiten
If I recall correctly, LAME (and the mp3 format itself) has trouble handling audio data above 16kHz. 320kbps is a waste of space for me, VBR or Lossless.
Correct.

Quote:
And since Monkey's Audio is slowly picking up again (with Linux decoders working), I see a bright future for it. All I want now is native ReplayGain and better seeking, and I'll never need to see FLAC on my HDD ever again.
Never gonna happen. That's how APE squeezes the extra 1 or 2% out of its encodings: by completely neglecting to have the kind of structure that makes fast seeking possible.

Last edited by ArrowHead; Jul 15, 2006 at 06:09 PM.
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2006, 01:28 AM Local time: Jul 16, 2006, 04:28 PM #22 of 35
So which lossless format did you vote for?
Black people are hilarious.

LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
nyvremzurc
Wark!

Member 10970

Level 1.10

Aug 2006

Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:58 AM Local time: Sep 1, 2006, 12:58 AM #23 of 35
i know this is off-topic but what's the difference between ALAC and FLAC?

FELIPE NO
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:23 PM Local time: Aug 31, 2006, 10:23 AM #24 of 35
Originally Posted by nyvremzurc
i know this is off-topic but what's the difference between ALAC and FLAC?
Main difference (besides for lossless encoding): ALAC is a proprietary format, only officially decodable on iTunes and iPods. This is in contrast to FLAC which is open source and is decodable on nearly any media player (if not directly, then with plugins), but since FLAC is not officially decodable on an iPod (or many other hardware digital music players), it has an uphill battle.

Furthermore, though I've noticed I'm the only person saying anything positive about Monkey's Audio, it's still in 2nd place with six votes. While it's dwarfed with FLAC's 22 votes, it still crushes the nearest competition threefold.

Last edited by Kaiten; Aug 31, 2006 at 12:29 PM.
nyvremzurc
Wark!

Member 10970

Level 1.10

Aug 2006

Old Sep 1, 2006, 04:00 PM Local time: Sep 2, 2006, 05:00 AM #25 of 35
ok, thanks for the clarification kaiten.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Format War: Your Favorite Lossless Format