Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Guide to Proper Lossless Rips

ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 08:44 AM #1 of 105
Sure. You need a "Stereo RCA to 3.5mm (or 1/8") Y-cable".

Make sure the RCA ends are female and the 3.5mm end is male.

Plug the audio leads from the console to the RCA ends of the cable. Plug the 3.5mm (1/8") end of the cable into your computer's soundcard's "line-in" or "aux" jack.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:08 AM #2 of 105
I'm just answering the question. Sure, splitting the thread sounds like a good idea.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 06:54 AM #3 of 105
Originally Posted by Eleo
Yeah that sucks. On the other hand it is pretty much perfect in every other regard.
No. What is this nonsense about data? EAC is an AUDIO rip/burn program, not a general rip/burn program.

I'd say it would be nice it it could burn audio-CD's from FLAC+CUE or MP3+CUE - but burning data CD's just isn't what EAC is made for.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 07:53 PM #4 of 105
Yeah, that would probably be best. I'm surprised if such a read mode (secure raw w/ offset correction) doesn't already exist... ?

How ya doing, buddy?
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:41 AM #5 of 105
What I do to guard my FLAC files against corruption is I use a program called QuickPar to make PAR2 recovery files for the FLACs. Then I burn the FLACs, the recovery files and a QuickPar installer all together to a DVD.

I have QuickPar set up to make its recovery files 20% of the size of the original data. Probably overkill... I think the default is 10%.

I was speaking idiomatically.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 04:43 PM #6 of 105
I don't get why people use simple checksum tools for their own data. If you find corrupt files, what can you do but re-rip or re-download them? Seems kind of pointless to me.

I'd rather sacrifice some storage space to be able to actually recover corrupted files.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:54 AM #7 of 105
AccurateRip is a godsend.

Without it I would have never known I was using the wrong offset on my drive.

I guess I have the wrong pressing of Radiohead - OK Computer, because that's what EAC used with its internal database to determine my drive's offset. Using that, it told me my offset was something like +1092, and I believed it.

Turns out it's more like +98.

FELIPE NO
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:35 PM #8 of 105
Your WAV compare would say "12 missing samples" whether you had the right offset or not. All it means is that one WAV is 12 samples offset from the other.

I'd say that CDFreaks is pretty reliable but not 100%.

Probably the best thing for you to do would be to get AccurateRip. AccurateRip checks your drive's offset based off of a scan of one of many known CD's, and then checks it against a database to determine your drive's offset.

Then, everytime you rip a CD, it will compare the checksums against a database to be sure that each track was ripped accurately.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:11 PM #9 of 105
.oma and .omg are containers for Sony's ATRAC format, which is lossy (and lousy, at that). You got shafted.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 06:30 AM #10 of 105
Originally Posted by YoMan
But it's an original CD, not some junk I downloaded from the net. And it's the official release of that CD, not a bootleg. How can an original CD be lossy? I'm confused.
Oh, okay, so then what you're looking at is the second session (a data session) as this is a "CD Extra" rather than a plain audio-CD.

Exact Audio Copy will handle it just fine if your CD-ROM drive is any good.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:37 PM #11 of 105
Originally Posted by YoMan
Is it still lossy? Cause if it is there is no point in trying to rip it, because I want it lossless.

I have a NEC DVD RW 3550A. I tried ripping it, but it gave me a bunch of sync errors. I tried it with the standard EAC lossless ripping setup (Eleo's guide). Maybe I need to change some settings?

And here is a link to the CD.

http://www.cdon.com/main.phtml?navroot=904&session=1

Duran Duran - Astronaut (CD+DVD)
No, the actual part that plays if you put it into a stereo (which is the part that EAC rips) is not lossy. But the crap that you see when you browse the contents of the CD on your computer is lossy. They are two separate things.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:30 AM #12 of 105
It might.

Just check the offset for yourself with a disc which is in their disc database. As long as you have a few legit CD's you shouldn't have a problem finding one that's in their database.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Guide to Proper Lossless Rips