Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Ripping Summoner - .vpp .vmu

Jaboon
Chocobo

Member 23285

Level 10.44

Jul 2007

Old Oct 17, 2007, 05:06 AM #1 of 3
Ripping Summoner - .vpp .vmu

Hello. I'm trying to rip the music from Summoner, a PS2 game. The music file extension is.vpp, which is specific to Red Faction and Summoner. I googled the .vpp file extension and found a program called Descent Manager VPVIEW32. I opened it up and found all the music files/sound effects, well everything. Great start!

I then downloaded MFAudiov11. I extracted the .vpp file, which is now a .vmu or Visual Memory Unit, to my desktop from Descent Manager VPVIEW32. I opened up MFAdueov11 and played the song. The song sounds as though it's missing parts or something like that.

I converted the .vmu file to .wav, but it sounds screwy.

Here is an example:

What it should sound like: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

What it sounds like after conversion: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Jam it back in, in the dark.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2007, 07:52 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2007, 05:52 PM #2 of 3
The problem is you don't know the interleave, which is the number of bytes (I think, might be samples) played on each channel before switching to the other. So with the wrong interleave you would have (where A is supposed to be played on the left and B on the right)

Left channel - ABBABABAAABABA
Right channel - BABABBABAAABAB

and with the right interleave you would have A and B being played at the same time so it would sound like

Left channel - AAAAAAAAA
Right channel - BBBBBBBBBB

that's the best way I can think of to explain it. Finding the interleave is not easy and I'm not going to explain it unless you are certain you are going to rip it.

The game has already been ripped by Thalin and Magusstorm (thread here) so if you're just looking for the music it would save you time to just ask one of them to reupload the rip. If you are dead set on ripping it yourself then I would recommend Cube Media Player over MFAudio, they do the same thing but Cube is more user friendly and has support for video files. PM me if you need Cube MP.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jaboon
Chocobo

Member 23285

Level 10.44

Jul 2007

Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:16 PM #3 of 3
Thank you Kuttlas.

I'm not dead set on ripping it myself. I just couldn't find it anywhere with my searches, so I figured I would look into ripping it myself.

I'll send Thalin a pm and search the FTP's around here to see if anyone has it.

Thanks again.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Ripping Summoner - .vpp .vmu