Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

America to Disintegrate in 2010

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:41 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2008, 04:41 PM #1 of 34
America to Disintegrate in 2010

According to a Russian Professor, anyway, after a ruinous civil war breaks out in mid-2009.

Source: As if Things Weren't Bad Enough, Russian Professor Predicts End of U.S. - WSJ.com

Spoiler:
For a decade, Russian academic Igor Panarin has been predicting the U.S. will fall apart in 2010. For most of that time, he admits, few took his argument -- that an economic and moral collapse will trigger a civil war and the eventual breakup of the U.S. -- very seriously.

(snip)

Mr. Panarin posits, in brief, that mass immigration, economic decline, and moral degradation will trigger a civil war next fall and the collapse of the dollar. Around the end of June 2010, or early July, he says, the U.S. will break into six pieces.

Of course, my first reaction after reading this piece was to laugh out very loudly indeed. The face of it looks much like wishful thinking on the part of a quack Russian academic. And he was in fact treated like a quack for the better part of a decade.

But! My interactions with lurker in chat have proven to me that I know absolutely nothing about how Americans believe. Thus, while I may personally think that such an outcome is ludicrous, perhaps I might be mistaken in my belief!

So, I hereby pose this question to the people who live in America, who work in America, and who know America best. Is there, in fact, a "45-55% chance" that such a thing will happen next year?

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:02 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2008, 01:02 AM #2 of 34
I, for one, welcome our European overlords with open arms and fresh-baked croissants.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:08 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2008, 03:08 AM #3 of 34
This dude is crazy.

Like Canada wants shit to do with any part of your backwards-ass country that isn't the North-East.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:16 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2008, 04:16 AM #4 of 34
It's HELTER SKELTER!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:39 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2008, 04:39 AM #5 of 34
The Texas Republic, eh? Sounds rather nostalgic :3 Meh. It already feels like Little Mexico, as it stands~

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:46 AM #6 of 34
Mexico has enough of its own economic problems without shouldering the woes of the American South, and the likelihood of Carolinians or Tennesseans consenting to have anything to do with the EU is laughable.

The essential function of this article is to rile up the retrograde knobsuckers that comprise the WSJ's readership. That sound you just heard was a thousand Billy-Bobs resubscribing to THE ONLY PAPER WILLING TO TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT COMMIE AMERICA-HATERS.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:47 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2008, 02:47 AM #7 of 34
Sounds like someone was pissed that Obama won.

FELIPE NO
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hopeâ„¢

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:06 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2008, 06:06 AM #8 of 34
Quote:
California will form the nucleus of what he calls "The Californian Republic," and will be part of China or under Chinese influence. Texas will be the heart of "The Texas Republic," a cluster of states that will go to Mexico or fall under Mexican influence. Washington, D.C., and New York will be part of an "Atlantic America" that may join the European Union. Canada will grab a group of Northern states Prof. Panarin calls "The Central North American Republic." Hawaii, he suggests, will be a protectorate of Japan or China, and Alaska will be subsumed into Russia.
If he said 2030.....2040 or something along those lines

Then I might be able to take him seriously. If we went through 8-20 years of constant economic shit (you know, a prolonged depression) then his theory might make fucking sense. But 2010? It would require.....a complete COLLAPSE of EVERYTHING SIMULTANEOUSLY like in 'Live Free or Die Hard' (That is, you know....implausible fucking fiction with Bruce Willis saving the day), and while fragile, the system is far more robust than that.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:26 PM 2 #9 of 34
I'm not worried. The world will end in 2012 as predicted by the Mayans (who had technology so far beyond ours it's mind boggling), so I'm okay with being an honorary Canadian for a few years. Look, I'll even start developing opinions about your crappy politics! Fuck Harper!

How ya doing, buddy?
Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:52 PM Local time: Dec 30, 2008, 05:52 PM 3 #10 of 34
This dude is crazy.

Like Canada wants shit to do with any part of your backwards-ass country that isn't the North-East.
I know it's embarassing to admit you actually want Detroit, but it's okay. I understand completely.

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:02 PM #11 of 34
Mexico has enough of its own economic problems without shouldering the woes of the American South, and the likelihood of Carolinians or Tennesseans consenting to have anything to do with the EU is laughable.

The essential function of this article is to rile up the retrograde knobsuckers that comprise the WSJ's readership. That sound you just heard was a thousand Billy-Bobs resubscribing to THE ONLY PAPER WILLING TO TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT COMMIE AMERICA-HATERS.
The Russian clearly knows nothing about the US. If you think the Carolinas and anything generally south of the Mason-Dixon line wants anything to do with us Yanks (or even Europe), you've got to be... well, a foreigner.

I'm pretty sure the Northeast wouldn't mind getting rid of the rest of the country, though. Particularly those Bible-beating regions of the nation. I wonder if we could pair up with California, Oregon, and Washington or something. Those guys seem a little more sane than the rest of the country.

I thought the little map there was a joke, honestly. He can't be fucking serious. Texas with Mexican influence? CANADA having something to do with the midwest?!

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:20 AM #12 of 34
I wonder if we could pair up with California, Oregon, and Washington or something. Those guys seem a little more sane than the rest of the country.
Don't let their traditionally Democrat presidential voting record fool you, those places have a ton of backwoods rednecks too. I mean, fucking California passed prop 8, that right there should tell you what you need to know.

Not that NE america doesn't have their share of asswipes either. Middle of Pennsylvania, anyone?

Quote:
CANADA having something to do with the midwest?!
The border states are essentially half-canadian. For more information, see Styphon's post.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:26 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2008, 10:26 PM #13 of 34
Don't let their traditionally Democrat presidential voting record fool you, those places have a ton of backwoods rednecks too. I mean, fucking California passed prop 8, that right there should tell you what you need to know.
Northern California to be specific for those rednecks. Though I think the bulk of Prop 8 was shouldered by black votes, wasn't it? Mind you I don't have any current data on hand, so that's conjecture based on what I heard or read at the time. The state is extremely diverse, but that outcome still came as somewhat of a shock until I pieced what I knew together.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:30 AM #14 of 34
Though I think the bulk of Prop 8 was shouldered by black votes, wasn't it?
Not even close. Now, percentage wise, blacks voted for Prop 8 more than hispanics, whites or asians, but numbers-wise they were barely significant. I think more hispanics rather than blacks voted for it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:33 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2008, 12:33 AM #15 of 34
YouTube Video

FELIPE NO
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:36 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2008, 10:36 PM #16 of 34
Not even close. Now, percentage wise, blacks voted for Prop 8 more than hispanics, whites or asians, but numbers-wise they were barely significant. I think more hispanics rather than blacks voted for it.
Are there any specific sites that still have that data on hand? I still want to take a look, in any case.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:38 AM #17 of 34
Anyone whos anyone knows that the map in the first post is actually from the Shadowrun sourcebook.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:58 AM #18 of 34
Are there any specific sites that still have that data on hand? I still want to take a look, in any case.
well there's some data analysis from our good friends at fivethirtyeight.com if that's your deal. It also brought up something I forgot about until now - across all ethnicities, the younger voters voted against prop 8 while the older ones voted more for it. so blame the old folks.

CNN also apparently has exit poll data. The page isn't loading for me properly though but it might work for you.

Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:23 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2008, 12:23 AM #19 of 34
I'm not worried. The world will end in 2012 as predicted by the Mayans (who had technology so far beyond ours it's mind boggling), so I'm okay with being an honorary Canadian for a few years. Look, I'll even start developing opinions about your crappy politics! Fuck Harper!
Congratulations. You have now become an honorary Canadian.

Additional Spam: We don't really need Detroit. The majority of the Red Wings players are already Canadian.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2008, 03:07 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2008, 02:07 AM 1 #20 of 34
I know it's embarassing to admit you actually want Detroit, but it's okay. I understand completely.

Sorry, couldn't hear you over the sound of swarming Killer Bs.

You'll have to speak up. I can't hear you over my team being 28-5-4.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:23 AM Local time: Jan 11, 2009, 04:23 AM #21 of 34
There are no "rich" states. Almost all 50 states have budget shortfalls right now. So the foundation of his predictions are bullshit. Since states can't deficit spend like the federal government this binds the states even closer to the central federal government. (ie; bailouts) I'm also pretty sure (like more then 55% sure) that Texans/Californians/etc are a lot more loyal to the Union then Ukrainians/Georgians were to the Russian Empire/Soviet Union. It's not like a hundred years ago when everyone identified themselves with their state as opposed to considering themselves an American. All those petty little social issues that divide the states into blue/red will become non-existent quicklike if we find ourselves in a depression.

While a lot things can end a country an economic depression isn't one of them. It won't be pretty, but even if America defaults on it's huge foreign debt and destroys it's currency through hyperinflation. We'll survive 'cause we did that once already. As the old/new saying goes; "Not worth a continental/greenback". The Revolution against the rich fatcats and Jewish bankers seems more likely. Maybe another constitutional convention that tries to reform/overthrow a discredited/draconian central government. Probably not even that. Just a bit of urban/rural unrest. There's a lot that could happen besides the American Civil War II, with successor states prevailing that lack any historical or geographical cohesion emerging victorious.

America losing it's status as the sole superpower will do little to undermind the unity of the country. Far from it. The world will become a less stable place when differing centers of power compete for supremacy like in the last century. The popular American response will likely be one of increasing isolationism. Which will have a binding effect.

Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2009, 01:40 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2009, 11:40 AM #22 of 34
It's kinda hard to generate those generalizations by race. I think it'd be more significantly apparent if you looked at the statistics in terms of what proportions of the people who voted yes belonged to what religion.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 13, 2009, 05:48 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2009, 03:48 PM #23 of 34
Code:
Voting on Prop 8
Religion     (Total)   Yes   No
Protestant (43%)    65%  35%
Catholic (30%)       64%  36% 
Jewish (5%)           N/A   N/A
Other (6%)            N/A   N/A
None (16%)           10%  90%
Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com\

Code:
Vote By Church Attendance (Total)  Yes  No
Weekly (32%)                              84% 16%
Occasionally (44%)                       46% 54%
Never (21%)                                17% 83%

Vote by Church Attendance (Total)  Yes  No
More Than Weekly (10%)               N/A  N/A
Weekly (22%)                              82% 18%
Monthly (13%)                             N/A  N/A
A Few Times a Year (30%)             41% 59%
Never (21%)                                17% 83%

White Protestant Born-Again/Evangelical?  (Total)  Yes  No
White Prot. Born-Again (13%)                       N/A  N/A
White Prot. Not Born-Agn (16%)                    N/A  N/A
All Others (71%)                                         46% 54%

White Evangelical/Born-Again? (Total)  Yes  No
Yes (17%)                               81%  19%
No (83%)                                48%  52%
This following statistic is possibly the best one ever.

Code:
View of Government (Total)  Yes  No
Should Do More (51%)          36% 64%
Doing Too Much (41%)         61%  39%

FELIPE NO

Last edited by RacinReaver; Jan 13, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2009, 02:48 PM Local time: Jan 14, 2009, 01:48 PM #24 of 34
Northern California to be specific for those rednecks. Though I think the bulk of Prop 8 was shouldered by black votes, wasn't it? Mind you I don't have any current data on hand, so that's conjecture based on what I heard or read at the time. The state is extremely diverse, but that outcome still came as somewhat of a shock until I pieced what I knew together.
I would say that Central California has more rednecks... what with all the farms and small backwards towns and stuff. I usually think of Northern CA as the haven for oddballs and people who want to start communes in the forests, but maybe it's just the people I know .

Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:00 PM #25 of 34
That map doesn't make any sense at all. Maine would go to Europe? Are you KIDDING me? There's enough fucking canadians here that maine may as well be a part of that blithering shithole of a country that apparently charges 4 cents more for a pack of cigarettes that it makes it worth it to bitch out any clerk who doesnt give them enough of a "discount"

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > America to Disintegrate in 2010