Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PSP] PSP Discussion. Hay guys I just got one for Crisis Core, can u help me how 2 hax pls?

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:06 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 11:06 PM #1426 of 1496
Despite the garbage cover art, Kingdom of Paradise is really good as well. Sousuke recommended the PAL release of Tales of Eternia, so I'll throw out Breath of Fire III. Keep your eyes peeled for Jeanne d'Arc, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, the Gradius collection, either or both of the Monster Hunter Freedom games and, despite how gay it may seem, Space Invaders Extreme.

How ya doing, buddy?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2008, 06:10 AM #1427 of 1496
Actually, since I couldn't find Final Fantasy Tactics in stores, I looked online, and found Jeanne D'Arc for $18, so I went ahead and bought that. Still waiting on a Final Fantasy Tactics for $20 or less. Eternia seems tempting, I think it's $35 after shipping. Breath of Fire is the same price as well, which makes it all the more tempting.

How ya doing, buddy?

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2008, 07:54 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2008, 01:54 PM #1428 of 1496
Final Fantasy Tactics is pretty great, especially as I never got to play the original release. Breath of Fire is slightly more boring than I remember from the first time I played it on Playstation but is still a decent enough game.

How ya doing, buddy?
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2008, 02:36 PM #1429 of 1496
So I have a few questions regarding custom firmware on a PSP.

I've looked up the Pandora Battery, it seems you have to modify the battery to get it to boot into service mode. I then found something by the name of Datel Tool Battery, which is basically a Pandora Battery. How well does that work, because if at all possible, I'd like to refrain from mucking around with the innards of batteries.

From what I understand, after you modify the battery to boot up into service mode, it will always boot up into service mode. Is there a switch to make it boot up normally after making the mod, or would I have to continuously mod it to switch the boot up mode? Or I suppose a better question would be if there is a reason to boot it up normally after getting the custom firmware loaded. If that's the case, would I be forced to use the Pandora Battery every time thereafter to use the custom firmware? Does the custom firmware have all the features of the normal PSP? (When I say custom firmware, I'm referring to, what seems to be called, the M33 firmware.)

So short version:

How difficult are the modifications to make a Pandora Battery out of a regular PSP slim battery?

Is it worth it just getting a Datel Battery Tool?

Does the custom firmware have all the features as the normal firmware?

Would I need a Pandora's Battery every time I wanted to boot into the custom firmware?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Cat9
Chocobo

Member 465

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:06 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2008, 06:06 PM #1430 of 1496
So I have a few questions regarding custom firmware on a PSP.

I've looked up the Pandora Battery, it seems you have to modify the battery to get it to boot into service mode. I then found something by the name of Datel Tool Battery, which is basically a Pandora Battery. How well does that work, because if at all possible, I'd like to refrain from mucking around with the innards of batteries.

From what I understand, after you modify the battery to boot up into service mode, it will always boot up into service mode. Is there a switch to make it boot up normally after making the mod, or would I have to continuously mod it to switch the boot up mode? Or I suppose a better question would be if there is a reason to boot it up normally after getting the custom firmware loaded. If that's the case, would I be forced to use the Pandora Battery every time thereafter to use the custom firmware? Does the custom firmware have all the features of the normal PSP? (When I say custom firmware, I'm referring to, what seems to be called, the M33 firmware.)

So short version:

How difficult are the modifications to make a Pandora Battery out of a regular PSP slim battery?

Is it worth it just getting a Datel Battery Tool?

Does the custom firmware have all the features as the normal firmware?

Would I need a Pandora's Battery every time I wanted to boot into the custom firmware?
A Datel Tool Battery is essentially the same as a modified one. If you are afraid to modify your battery (it is possible to kill it) then go with the datel one, but it may be more expensive. Modding your battery is easy, but turning it back into a normal battery might be more difficult, but it is possible. (Opening the battery is the hardest part).

Once you successfully put a custom firmware on your PSP, you do not need to do it again or use the tool anymore. The latest version of custom firmware even allows you to update to the latest custom firmware by using the Network Update on your PSP.

The custom firmware has everything a normal PSP has, plus more, obviously. You may have trouble using LEGIT downloaded games from the Playstation Store.

You should also remember that you can also use the tool or modified battery to revive bricked PSPs, or if you upgrade to an official firmware by mistake.

One more thing you should know, you cannot use a modified PSP SLIM battery on a FAT PSP. But you CAN use a modified PSP FAT battery on a PSP SLIM.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Is there a Deadwood board game out yet?
"Go back 3 spaces you loopy fuckin' cunt"

Last edited by Cat9; Jul 23, 2008 at 09:22 PM.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:55 PM Local time: Jul 23, 2008, 08:55 PM #1431 of 1496
There is a pretty good mega-post over at [H] covering Pandora and also converting PSX images to use on the PSP: Putting CFW on your PSP Slim - Having trouble figuring it out? Look inside for info - [H]ard|Forum I haven't modded mine yet as I'm enjoying the games I have purchased so far, but I do plan to get a Datel battery at some point so I can play the PSX titles I have sitting collecting dust.

FELIPE NO
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2008, 08:59 AM #1432 of 1496
Alright, so I just want to confirm everything to make sure I understand this properly. Correct me if anything is wrong with the following:

I'm going to need at the very least two batteries. One is modded to boot into Service Mode (or a Datel Tool Battery) which will never be used again after firmware is completely updated, and the other is a regular battery that is to be used after any firmware flashing is complete.

I'm also going to need a Memory Stick Pro Duo to make a "Magic Memory Stick" out of. And supposedly this has to be at least 64MB and no more than 4GB (somebody explain why it can't be over 4 gigs, this I'm not sure about.) Also, if my assumption is correct, this "Magic Memory Stick" can be formatted and used as a regular stick after the firmware is up and running.

So, if my thought process is correct, I need to make the Magic Memory Stick first, which holds the firmware installation files and such. Then I need to pop in a modded battery pack (Pandora's Battery or Datel Tool Battery, which are the same) and boot up from the memory stick to get the firmware on the PSP. Once that's done, I use the PSP to format the "Magic Memory Stick" and put whatever else I want on it. At the same time, I can take out the modified battery and store that in a safe place somewhere and use the regular battery from now on.

Does this sound right? Or am I missing something important?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Cat9
Chocobo

Member 465

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2008, 09:22 AM Local time: Jul 24, 2008, 06:22 AM #1433 of 1496
No that sounds about right.

The 4gb limit as to do with FAT32 and its 4gb file size limit.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Cat9; Jul 24, 2008 at 09:29 AM.
amanoë
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 3087

Level 1.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:32 AM 1 #1434 of 1496
Alright, so I just want to confirm everything to make sure I understand this properly. Correct me if anything is wrong with the following:

I'm going to need at the very least two batteries. One is modded to boot into Service Mode (or a Datel Tool Battery) which will never be used again after firmware is completely updated, and the other is a regular battery that is to be used after any firmware flashing is complete.

I'm also going to need a Memory Stick Pro Duo to make a "Magic Memory Stick" out of. And supposedly this has to be at least 64MB and no more than 4GB (somebody explain why it can't be over 4 gigs, this I'm not sure about.) Also, if my assumption is correct, this "Magic Memory Stick" can be formatted and used as a regular stick after the firmware is up and running.

So, if my thought process is correct, I need to make the Magic Memory Stick first, which holds the firmware installation files and such. Then I need to pop in a modded battery pack (Pandora's Battery or Datel Tool Battery, which are the same) and boot up from the memory stick to get the firmware on the PSP. Once that's done, I use the PSP to format the "Magic Memory Stick" and put whatever else I want on it. At the same time, I can take out the modified battery and store that in a safe place somewhere and use the regular battery from now on.

Does this sound right? Or am I missing something important?

ahhh...so i see. Any more updates on how i can use downloaded games for my PSP slim? I just bought a new PSP myself, last week and i was thinking how safe it is to hack using the said methods. UMD`s here are expensive, and i think it will be a lot cheaper if i could just play downloaded games and save it on my memory stick. And is it possible to return it to version 3.9 if i use the said firmware?..thanks, sorry for the disturbance..onegaishimasu!

There's nowhere I can't reach.

got my old one here
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2008, 05:02 PM #1435 of 1496
ahhh...so i see. Any more updates on how i can use downloaded games for my PSP slim? I just bought a new PSP myself, last week and i was thinking how safe it is to hack using the said methods. UMD`s here are expensive, and i think it will be a lot cheaper if i could just play downloaded games and save it on my memory stick. And is it possible to return it to version 3.9 if i use the said firmware?..thanks, sorry for the disturbance..onegaishimasu!
I'd help you if you didn't add that stupid jap shit at the end.

For relevance and not mindless flaming: PSP-2100/3000 prototypes leaked. Need a new PSP. Do I buy a 2000 now or wait and see how this turns out? Doesn't look like there's going to be that much new except a built in mic and a PSN icon instead of the Home Button. And rumored slot-loading UMD, but UMD is dead.

So what do you think?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:01 PM #1436 of 1496
Hey! Got my PSP, and first thing I realize is a dead (or I think the term for this particular one is "Stuck") pixel!

Bright Green pixel in the upper right region of the screen.

How do I go about attempting to fix this? Any suggestions? I don't think Sony will take it back for just one pixel, as clearly stated in the manual.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:34 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2008, 06:34 PM #1437 of 1496
you can fix it by returning it (to Sony). There are links out there that supply a "Stuck pixel fixer", but it doesn't always work, and the chance of success is ~60%.

Most amazing jew boots
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2008, 07:04 PM #1438 of 1496
Unfortunately, Sony considers this normal operation of the PSP screen (as stated in the manual). I don't think they'll take it back for just one stuck pixel.

In action packed games, it won't matter as much, but since I play mainly RPGs....it sticks out like a sore thumb in static scenes.

For example:

But as for first impressions of the system, I like it a lot. It looks sleek and is really lightweight, which I found surprising. I also like how the UMD discs are made, in their own special casing to avoid damage, and it's easy to load into the PSP as well. Outside of the pixel mentioned above, I'm very satisfied with this purchase. Now to get a Memory Stick Pro Duo so I can actually save games.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request

Last edited by Omnislash124; Jul 24, 2008 at 07:09 PM.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jul 24, 2008, 07:09 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2008, 12:09 AM #1439 of 1496
Do the newer models suffer less from the pixel problem/red bleeds? The PSP I purchased in October '05 has had a blue stuck pixel from day one, and despite only really pulling the thing out once a month, it always takes me a bit of time to get reacclimatised to it being there.

FELIPE NO
^-^

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2008, 09:39 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2008, 09:39 PM #1440 of 1496
WRONG wrong WRONG wrong WRONG wrong WRONG

WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,

Last edited by ^-^; Jul 25, 2008 at 01:13 PM.
amanoë
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 3087

Level 1.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2008, 07:42 AM #1441 of 1496
I'd help you if you didn't add that stupid jap shit at the end.

For relevance and not mindless flaming: PSP-2100/3000 prototypes leaked. Need a new PSP. Do I buy a 2000 now or wait and see how this turns out? Doesn't look like there's going to be that much new except a built in mic and a PSN icon instead of the Home Button. And rumored slot-loading UMD, but UMD is dead.

So what do you think?
well i`m sorry for the stupid jap shit part at the end. The one i bought was a 2001 version (a limited edition of god of war in deep red color). And i`m just thinking of making a lot more use of my PSP.

How ya doing, buddy?

got my old one here
Cat9
Chocobo

Member 465

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:00 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2008, 07:00 AM #1442 of 1496
well i`m sorry for the stupid jap shit part at the end. The one i bought was a 2001 version (a limited edition of god of war in deep red color). And i`m just thinking of making a lot more use of my PSP.

See this post

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:52 AM #1443 of 1496
That's actually ironic since he himself quoted that post.

Either way, regarding Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions....

Am I the only one suffering horrendous slowdown during attacks with special effects? Slowdown to the point of the sound effects and animation not syncing? It's not a game breaker, since I like the game a lot already, but this is downright annoying. Is this a widespread issue? I heard there was some slowdown, but I didn't think it was this serious.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:12 AM #1444 of 1496
It's part of the coding in the game, sadly. The slowdown was much, much worse in the original Japanese release, but they managed to fix it somewhat. You get used to it after awhile.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by The Plane Is A Tiger; Jul 25, 2008 at 11:15 AM.
^-^

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:46 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2008, 11:46 AM #1445 of 1496
I honestly couldn't tell the difference in the slowdown between the two.

And that pissed me off.

I was speaking idiomatically.
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:25 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2008, 08:25 PM #1446 of 1496
That may be true, but they'll still service it.
They don't service, they replace. But not with dead pixels. Like all TFT screens, there is no zero-tolerance for them, even a few dead pixels (much less stuck ones) won't guarantee you an exchange. They're mostly handled case by case, so if you have, say, multiple pixels in the middle of the screen that will affect gaming, you have somewhat of a chance of getting it replaced. One or two on the sides won't get anything.

And for posturing, I own two phat PSPs and neither has a single dead/stuck pixel.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jul 25, 2008 at 12:27 PM.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:35 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 10:35 PM #1447 of 1496
I can't remember who it was, but a well-known poster here, who also has a PSP, was a huge fan of DJ Max Portable. Word has it that DJ Max Fever will be the US release of DJ Max Portable and DJ Max 2.

How ya doing, buddy?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:24 PM #1448 of 1496
I recently got the Blue Madden PSP. Since I hate sports games Madden went right back to the exchange. Currently enjoying Dracula X Chronicles and Crisis Core, though the former game's difficulty and poor controls just don't help matters :/

I love how sleek, small, and graphically enhanced the thing is. I never really cared for ZOMG teh SHINY GRAFIX but PSP seems to do them well for a handheld.

LS

Purple

Member 509

Level 21.05

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:55 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2008, 08:55 PM #1449 of 1496
Anyone know a way or a method to use the analog stick rather than the d-pad, my left and down directional pads aren't working, I don't really have the tools to open my psp nor the courage to try and fix it.

Most amazing jew boots
amanoë

Member 3087

Level 1.60

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:14 AM #1450 of 1496
Sorry, but I have a question. Can I update my PSP to the latest version(4.05) after downgrading it for the M33 firmware? And vice versa. Am I able to use Skype again?..thanks

got my old one here

Last edited by amanoë; Aug 27, 2008 at 05:20 AM. Reason: added version no

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PSP] PSP Discussion. Hay guys I just got one for Crisis Core, can u help me how 2 hax pls?