Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 168 Voting/WEEK 169 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:28 PM #1 of 29
Song of the Week - WEEK 168 Voting/WEEK 169 Nominating

Song of the Week. 150 Weeks and counting.
Week 168 Voting is closed.
Week 169 Nominating is restricted.

Results:
1). [20] Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth
2). [18] Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01
3). [17] Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2
4). [11/8.5] Vandal Hearts II ~Heaven's Gate~ Original Soundtrack - Warfare on a Constructions
5). [11/8] The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)
6). [7] Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - Mercenary-X (Main Theme)
7). [5] Shining Force Neo ~Zetsubo to Kibo - Zetsubo to Kibo (Original Karaoke)
8). [1] Ioncross Freelancer: Total War (Game Audio) - Rochester Base Bar Music

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Ioncross Freelancer: Total War (Game Audio) - Rochester Base Bar Music
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Shining Force Neo ~Zetsubo to Kibo - Zetsubo to Kibo (Original Karaoke)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - Mercenary-X (Main Theme)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Vandal Hearts II ~Heaven's Gate~ Original Soundtrack - Warfare on a Constructions

Notes:
Please remember to upload your nominations to the SotW server! Uploaded noms mean a faster, smoother SotW experience for everyone.

Week 169 Nominating:
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Apr 28, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:15 PM #2 of 29
Nomination:

Game: Silver Surfer
Track Title: Track 6
Track Number: 6 (duh)
Composers: Tim & Geoff Follin
Source: NSF from Zophar.net

Silver Surfer - Track 6.mp3

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:52 PM #3 of 29
New Nomination!

Composer: Masaaki Uno
Album: Music from Yaksa & Arcus
Track Title: Origin of the Master's Roots
Disc: 1
Track Number: 23
Catalog Number: K30X-7709
Year: 1988
Source: K30X-7709: Music From Yaksa & Arcus - VGMdb

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2009, 02:02 PM #4 of 29
Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01 I knew that Concerto Gate had some Ito music, but this is the first I've heard of it. It's very much in line with Ito's battle tracks for Saga, though the piano is a nice addition to his usual sound. Not as good as Kikuta's contributions, but still quite nice.

Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2 Kind of tinny, and not really all that interesting. I can't see the appeal of this one; sorry, nominator.

Ioncross Freelancer: Total War (Game Audio) - Rochester Base Bar Music This has the neat tracker sound of some of Alex Brandon's best, but unfortunately it's missing the melodic hook, which is really a shame.

Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth A sweet little synthy treat with a decent melody and driving bass line. A little derivative, maybe, but enjoyable.

Shining Force Neo ~Zetsubo to Kibo - Zetsubo to Kibo (Original Karaoke) Nice enough sort of rock-style ballad. Starts off a little weak but gets better as it goes along.

Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - Mercenary-X (Main Theme) Some nice dark synthy licks here, with only two real drawbacks--the melody could be a little better, and the SFX are a pain in the ass.

The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi) Not what I would have expected given the title. Not bad as far as laid-back acoustic licks go, but guitars can do so much more.

Vandal Hearts II ~Heaven's Gate~ Original Soundtrack - Warfare on a Constructions This song has a kooky vibe that I like a lot, and just enough of that underlying SRPG feel to appeal to that weakness as well. I wonder how much of the OST is like this?

The Point Spread
battle 01 - 2 pts.
Warfare on Grammatical Constructions - 2 pts.
Center of the Earth - 1 pt.
Mercenary-X - 1 pt.

Nomination
Composer: Winifred Phillips
Album Title: SimAnimals
Track Title: Forest Song (End Credits)
Disc Number: 1
Track Number: 19
Notes: This has now passed the three-month window, so I'm renominating it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
greatless
Wark!

Member 32656

Level 2.25

Jan 2009

Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:50 PM #5 of 29
@orion_mk3:
I can't believe I missed this track by Ito! Like you said, this really a reminiscent of SAGA music (which is not a bad thing). And if what you said is true (there are more Ito's track and better music from Kikuta in Concerto Gate), I absolutely must check the music of this game!

Score:
- Battle 1 - 3 points
- Center of the earth - 2 points
- Warfare on a Constructions - 1 point

I was speaking idiomatically.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2009, 01:01 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2009, 04:01 PM #6 of 29
Nomination #17

Composer: SonicPicnic
Game Title: Toki Tori
Track Title: Forest Falls
Track Number: 2
Year: 2008
Additional Information: Super Happy Fun Banjo Bird Music =D

Time traveling/flying into the FTP yeah~

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2009, 06:57 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2009, 01:57 PM #7 of 29
Decent week

<<3 Points>> Vandal Hearts II ~Heaven's Gate~ Original Soundtrack - Warfare on a Constructions
<<2 Points>> The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)
<<1 Points>> Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth

FELIPE NO
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:41 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2009, 01:41 AM #8 of 29
Quick votes. Wanted to give "Floor 1, 2" two points but "Warfare on a Constructions" was too good to pass-up (grammer issues aside).

(2 points) Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - Mercenary-X (Main Theme)

(2 points) The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)

(1 point) Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2

(1 point) Vandal Hearts II ~Heaven's Gate~ Original Soundtrack - Warfare on a Constructions

Special mentions to Concerto Gate (particularly the piano bit).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I think therefore I am... I think.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 26, 2009, 02:11 PM #9 of 29
3 Points: Shining Force Neo ~Zetsubo to Kibo - Zetsubo to Kibo (Original Karaoke)
1 Point: Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2
1 Point: Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth
1 Point: Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2009, 02:36 PM #10 of 29
(2 points) Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01
(2 points) Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2
(1 point) Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth
(1 point) Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - Mercenary-X (Main Theme)

Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Apr 26, 2009, 06:40 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2009, 01:40 AM #11 of 29
2 points: Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01
2 points: The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)
1 point: Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2
1 point: Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2009, 08:13 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2009, 11:13 AM #12 of 29
Kenji Ito has never been one to wow or impress me, and Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01 certainly doesn't change this. The blend of instrumentation is disjointed and lacks cohesion; as such, no real melody or drive sticks out or makes me want to keep listening. Sorry nom! let's just face it; Ito will never top "Endless Battlefield"

Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2 is a fairly average "dungeon" tune, and sadly its monotonousness far overshadow its ephemeral glimpses of creativity. Not much else to say, but I won't be downloading this one.

Ioncross Freelancer: Total War (Game Audio) - Rochester Base Bar Music has absolutely no melody or hook factor to speak of, but its serviceable in terms of atmosphere and mood. It definitely doesn't overstay its welcome in its appropriate 2 minute duration. Yeah, this one is OK in my books~

Ah, here's the week's Supersweep contribution. Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth is really fun on the whole, surprising given my track record with Mr. Hosoe. Catchy, entertaining and with some adorable and nostalgic sound samples, this one is definitely one to download and consider for points.

CHEEEEEEESE AHOY!!! Shining Force Neo ~Zetsubo to Kibo - Zetsubo to Kibo (Original Karaoke) is a nice listen, with an (admittedly) infectious cheese factor and some awesome instrument samples. Melody on the whole is fairly strong, too. Yes, I do enjoy this cheese-fest. GUITAAARR FLOURISHHHH

O__O Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - Mercenary-X (Main Theme) is about as typical a track as you can get, huh? It's got the dark, quasi-militaristic electronica down pat, but it doesn't use this very typical element very creatively. There's a nice sense of progression around the 1:30 mark, but overall this one makes for a particularly boring listen. (soz nomz~)

The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi) is an awfully...convoluted track, isn't it? ;_; It's good, however. Entertaining from start to finish, even though I can't remember too much about it (except the acoustic guitar and clapping combo!). INTENSE POINT CONSIDERATION

Haha Vandal Hearts II ~Heaven's Gate~ Original Soundtrack - Warfare on a Constructions doesn't know whether to sound like a Sakimoto town theme, a dramatic Uematsu theme or its own distinctive thing. The mishmash is amusing and fairly entertaining, and there's a nice, playful melody hovering around in there somewhere. Decent~

INTENSE POINTS (!)

2 points: Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth
2 points: Shining Force Neo ~Zetsubo to Kibo - Zetsubo to Kibo (Original Karaoke)
1 point: The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)
1 point: Vandal Hearts II ~Heaven's Gate~ Original Soundtrack - Warfare on a Constructions
5th: Ioncross Freelancer: Total War (Game Audio) - Rochester Base Bar Music
6th: Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2
7th: Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01
8th: Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - Mercenary-X (Main Theme)

A fairly decent week overall. (too much Kenji Ito, though >=|)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2009, 02:24 AM #13 of 29
sup Rimo?
1 Point - Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth
2 Points - Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2
2 Points - Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01
1 Point - Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - Mercenary-X (Main Theme)

Opfer
nice

Member 28563

Level 18.16

Mar 2008

Old Apr 27, 2009, 07:19 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2009, 02:19 PM #14 of 29
Alright, since it doesn't seem like "Winterbliss" is gonna make it, I"ll nominate one of the custom-made tracks from Castle Crashers.

Artist: Waterflame
Game Title: Castle Crashers
Track Title: Jumper
Year: 2008
Sources:
Castle Crashers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Castle Crashers
Jumper (will start streaming automatically)

I uploaded it to the FTP.

ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Apr 27, 2009, 09:08 AM #15 of 29
3 points: Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2
1 point: Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth
1 point: Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - Mercenary-X (Main Theme)
1 point: Vandal Hearts II ~Heaven's Gate~ Original Soundtrack - Warfare on a Constructions

FELIPE NO
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:39 AM #16 of 29
Nary a terrible song here, though I wish a couple tracks (Soldner, Ioncross) came harder at me melodically instead of working just on atmosphere. It would've been more compelling.

(3 points) Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01
(1 point) Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth
(1 point) Vandal Hearts II ~Heaven's Gate~ Original Soundtrack - Warfare on a Constructions
(1 point) Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2

Most amazing jew boots
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:17 AM #17 of 29
Here's a nom, I decided to go back to the same album my first nom came from a couple years back.

Artist: Hyakutaro Tsukumo
Album: Lost Technology ~ Thunder Force Sound Track
Track #: 15
Track Title: Steel of Destiny
Catalog Number: FNAG-0001
Source: FNAG-0001: Lost Technology ~ Thunder Force Sound Track - VGMdb

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:39 AM #18 of 29
Will be voting this evening (~7) if this could be left open.

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:09 PM #19 of 29
2 points - Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth
1 point - Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2
1 point - Ioncross Freelancer: Total War (Game Audio) - Rochester Base Bar Music
1 point - Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - Mercenary-X (Main Theme)
1 point - The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:54 PM #20 of 29
3 points: Center of the Earth
1 point: Warfare on a Constructions
1 point: ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)
1 point: Floor 1, 2
Just missed: Mercenary-X (Main Theme)

I like short tunes as much as the next guy, but Rochester Base Bar Music has no business ending where it does.

I enjoyed the with the 1 pointers immensely this week. Warfare would've been a contender for more if 0:58 didn't remind me so much of the main melodic hook in the popular "America" from West Side Story.

Also I revisited Long-Horned Beetle (fantastic tune, can't believe I didn't give it 3 points) from a previous week due to ESAKA, that's gotta be worth something right

Most amazing jew boots
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2009, 05:37 PM #21 of 29
Much better than last week. Nothing spectacular, but all pretty much solid songs.

3 pts. - Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth
2 pts. - Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2
1 pt. - The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)
Close: Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01
Shining Force Neo ~Zetsubo to Kibo - Zetsubo to Kibo (Original Karaoke)

Rochester Base Bar Music was promising, but as some others have said, I would have liked to hear more of a melody.

EDIT: Changed my votes to 3, 2, 1 instead of 2, 1, 1, 1, 1.

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:27 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2009, 07:27 PM #22 of 29
battle 01 is my nomination, and I feel it's easily the best track this week. Not Ito's best work, and a bit short compared to other tracks, but has a good style and melody. The track has a lot of emotion and gets to the point in presenting it.

Floor 1, 2 doesn't impress me with the instrument usage, but it has some good melodic segments that caught my ear. I like it.

Rochester Base Bar Music is a few bars of notes repeated over and over with slight instrument variations. What else can I say?

Center of the Earth is not bad at all. It has cool instruments and a driving beat, but unfortunately, it doesn't leave an impression on me.

Before I even saw the title, I could tell that Zetsubo to Kibo (Original Karaoke) was in fact a karaoke version of a song. It's incomplete music; there's no lead instrument. I don't like listening to karaoke versions of songs for this simple reason. If the vocals were replaced with an instrument playing the full melody front and center, that would be perfectly fine, but karaoke versions are meant as backing tracks for karaoke singing, not as something to listen to. I'm passing on this.

Mercenary-X (Main Theme)... again, not bad, but just didn't capture my interest. I don't think this one had enough melody to it.

ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi) is lacking in melody, but it has a really interesting build-up, and I have to give it a point just for that.

Warfare on a Constructions has a nice lively feel to it, but it just doesn't hold my attention.

3 points - battle 01
2 points - Floor 1, 2
1 point - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)

I'll tally up votes in like 10 hours or so.

Additional Spam:
Voting is closed. Here are the results:
1). [20] Namco Game Sound Express VOL.04 Dragon Saber - Center of the Earth
2). [18] Concerto Gate Closed Beta BGM - battle 01
3). [17] Genmu no Tou to Tsurugi no Okite Original Soundtracks - Floor 1, 2
4). [11/8.5] Vandal Hearts II ~Heaven's Gate~ Original Soundtrack - Warfare on a Constructions
5). [11/8] The King of Fighters '98 Arrange Sound Trax - ESAKA (Kyo Kusanagi)
6). [7] Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - Mercenary-X (Main Theme)
7). [5] Shining Force Neo ~Zetsubo to Kibo - Zetsubo to Kibo (Original Karaoke)
8). [1] Ioncross Freelancer: Total War (Game Audio) - Rochester Base Bar Music

Nominations are still open since this coming week is a BATTLE week.

Additional Spam:
Also, refresh my memory on this... Didn't we have some policy about nominating a track that was released within the past X months?

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Apr 28, 2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2009, 08:58 PM #23 of 29
I think we all saw the winner coming, but it's a good 'un. Really surprised about 3rd place, though, and pleasantly surprised about 2nd.

EDIT:
In answer to your question, Kaleb, something has to be at least 3 months old before it can be nominated--long enough to make sure it's not the next big thing.

FELIPE NO
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:15 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2009, 07:15 PM #24 of 29
In answer to your question, Kaleb, something has to be at least 3 months old before it can be nominated--long enough to make sure it's not the next big thing.
Thanks. Do you know if this on the Voting Phase rules page? If not, I'll need to add it.

How ya doing, buddy?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:41 AM #25 of 29
Thanks. Do you know if this on the Voting Phase rules page? If not, I'll need to add it.
You know, I could have sworn it was, but now that I look it's nowhere to be found. I remember us discussing it and coming to a decision, but I guess it never got written down!

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 168 Voting/WEEK 169 Nominating