Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 191 Voting/WEEK 192 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:15 PM #1 of 38
Song of the Week - WEEK 191 Voting/WEEK 192 Nominating

Song of the Week. 175 Weeks and counting.
Week 191 Voting is dead and buried.
Week 192 Nominating is imprisoned without trial.

Welcome to ONE MINUTE (OR LESS) OF HEAVEN, the first SotW theme week in a while. It's our shortest, leanest contest ever, since all 8 songs clock in at under one minute!

Results:
1). [20] Chaos World - Ares' Theme
2). [16/11.5] Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title
3). [16/9.5] Biohazard -Code: Veronica- Complete Version Original Soundtrack - A Moment of Relief (Save Room Theme)
4). [13/9.5] 7 / 11 - In Front Of Doc's
5). [13/8] Socket (Game Rip) - Stone Age
6). [11] Other Life Azure Dreams Original Game Soundtrack - THEME of FUR GOTS
7). [8] Halo Wars Original Soundtrack - Just Ad Nauseum
8). [5] SimCity 2000 (PSX Game Rip) - Virtual Village

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: 7 / 11 - In Front Of Doc's
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Biohazard -Code: Veronica- Complete Version Original Soundtrack - A Moment of Relief (Save Room Theme)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Chaos World - Ares' Theme
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Halo Wars Original Soundtrack - Just Ad Nauseum
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Other Life Azure Dreams Original Game Soundtrack - THEME of FUR GOTS
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: SimCity 2000 (PSX Game Rip) - Virtual Village
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Socket (Game Rip) - Stone Age
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title

Voting Rules:
Voters must distribute 6 points among the 8 nominees, giving points to at least 3 songs, giving no song more than 3 points, and giving no more than one of their choices 3 points. Possible ways of voting include:
Spoiler:
"Traditional"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.

"Even Stevens"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 2 pts.

"Tough Decision"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Nomination Bias"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Indecisive"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.

"Shotgun Spread"
Song1 - 1 pt.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.
Song6 - 1 pt.

Notes:
Please remember to upload your nominations to the SotW server! Uploaded noms mean a faster, smoother SotW experience for everyone. Server information:
Spoiler:
* Host: ftp.sotw.info
* Username: nominations@sotw.info (that is the actual username; not an e-mail address)
* Password: gff
* Port: 21

Week 191 Nominating:
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Nov 16, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Nov 16, 2009, 05:48 PM #2 of 38
Considering the length of these tracks, it was quite easy to listen to them rather early on. Don't expect this from me all the time though .

3 points: Chaos World - Ares' Theme
2 points: Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title
1 point: Biohazard -Code: Veronica- Complete Version Original Soundtrack - A Moment of Relief (Save Room Theme)

Wow. Kudos to whoever nominated that Wurm track. That is a great title theme!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Redfield
Gooey Peach

Member 661

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:30 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2009, 03:30 PM #3 of 38
3 points: Other Life Azure Dreams Original Game Soundtrack - THEME of FUR GOTS
2 points: Socket (Game Rip) - Stone Age
1 points: Chaos World - Ares' Theme

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:00 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2009, 04:00 PM #4 of 38
How are we going to deal with the remaining 1-minute nominations? If they go up against longer tracks, they're sure to get slaughtered. Chuckster proposed the event and didn't even make it in this week.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 07:37 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2009, 10:37 AM #5 of 38
I shall---no, I must make my track comments short this week! Must!

Ah The Fat Man always delivers quality, as has been reinforced for me after listening to a majority of his works I wasn't familiar with. 7 / 11 - In Front Of Doc's is a great smoky, atmospheric piece with satisfying emphasis on tone and vaguely on melody.

(I'm curious to know the extent to which Hijiri Anze contributed to the various Biohazard soundtracks..) Biohazard -Code: Veronica- Complete Version Original Soundtrack - A Moment of Relief (Save Room Theme) is pretty, and conjures up a decent atmosphere. I can't really get into it much but it's nice enough.

Chaos World - Ares' Theme is fun from word go, and may be the track to beat this week. It's got a sound I know SotW regulars love; and it's hooked me too so it must be doing something right.

Halo Wars Original Soundtrack - Just Ad Nauseum has a nice sense of chaos that's given a bit of spice through the various instrumental twists and turns. Enjoyable, but not something I'll be revisiting.

I've tried my hardest in the past to get into this score, but the sounds just grate on me. Other Life Azure Dreams Original Game Soundtrack - THEME of FUR GOTS, despite having a cute, accessibly melody, isn't good enough to be in the good books for me.

I've liked SimCity 2000 (PSX Game Rip) - Virtual Village for a while now. I really enjoy the laidback, tropical and slightly poppy melody and the way things develop. The drum samples are of course the highlight, though.

Ah I couldn't get into Socket (Game Rip) - Stone Age at all I'm afraid. Nothing jumps out as being a stray from the norm, and nothing sounds particularly intriguing. sorry!

Suddenly, a challenger appears. Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title could very well take the gold this week and justifiably so. It's got all the ingredients for a good chiptune title theme and manages to thoroughly entertain in a short 59 seconds. Good stuff!

?! what's the POINT of a track that doesn't go past a min---*gunshot*

3 points: SimCity 2000 (PSX Game Rip) - Virtual Village
1 point: Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title
1 point: 7 / 11 - In Front Of Doc's
1 point: Chaos World - Ares' Theme
5th: Biohazard -Code: Veronica- Complete Version Original Soundtrack - A Moment of Relief (Save Room Theme)
6th: Halo Wars Original Soundtrack - Just Ad Nauseum
7th: Other Life Azure Dreams Original Game Soundtrack - THEME of FUR GOTS
8th: Socket (Game Rip) - Stone Age

Fun week! Quality was mixed, but I liked it overall. Surely there is no excuse for those who run late casting votes this week!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:18 PM #6 of 38
How are we going to deal with the remaining 1-minute nominations? If they go up against longer tracks, they're sure to get slaughtered. Chuckster proposed the event and didn't even make it in this week.
I also wonder about this, especially since I thought we would include all nominations (more than 8) at once for the special. It's certainly deceiving for those that were left out and it makes me feel uneasy.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:49 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2009, 08:49 PM #7 of 38
There was a short discussion (very short) about that at the tail end of last week, and it seemed to me that splitting was okay among the people who actually did say something. I was figuring we'd do another one later with the people who were left out getting priority.

Eleven is a pretty awkward number to choose between shoving a bunch of tracks into one week or leaving three people out. The more tracks we add to one week, the more we'll have to pass up simply because we only have three winners (similar to the argument that reducing the number of tracks means there's a little less quality control). I don't really have a strong opinion either way, but that sways me toward splitting.

Plus, short tunes are awesome. I for one don't mind doing this again.

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Nov 16, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Stalky
I think not.

Member 24973

Level 10.75

Sep 2007

Old Nov 17, 2009, 03:41 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2009, 09:41 PM #8 of 38
Voting:
2 Points: Halo Wars Original Soundtrack - Just Ad Nauseum
2 Points: 7 / 11 - In Front Of Doc's
1 Point: Biohazard -Code: Veronica- Complete Version Original Soundtrack - A Moment of Relief (Save Room Theme)
1 Point: Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title

Nomination:
Game Title: Madballs in ... Babo: Invasion (PC Game Rip)
Artist: Greg Drover
Track Title: Ice 2
Year: 2009
Source: [Link], In-game credits & game files
Notes: Apparently it was first released over 4 month ago already on the 360; added a loop to fade it out

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:45 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2009, 03:45 PM #9 of 38
There was a short discussion (very short) about that at the tail end of last week, and it seemed to me that splitting was okay among the people who actually did say something. I was figuring we'd do another one later with the people who were left out getting priority.
That seems fine to me, as long as it happens sometime soon. =}

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:11 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2009, 10:11 AM #10 of 38
Here's a nomination from me for the regular queue.

Nomination #29

Composer: Taro Hakase
Album: SONGS
Track Title: Time Messenger
Track Number: 2
Year: 2007
Catalog Number: HUCD-10030

I think it's time I send the FTP a bitchin' message, one of awesome music.

Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:42 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2009, 08:42 AM #11 of 38
No strong preferences but I'm ok with doing another one minute week. But if there aren't enough nominees, that's fine. Can delay until we get eight, too.

Honestly, I nominated a < 60s track purely for fun, on some loose premise that it might get into this week or be put off for another one minute week. So even if neither happened, I'd be cool with it. I was a bit slow to nominate after all.

I think therefore I am... I think.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:41 PM Local time: Nov 17, 2009, 06:41 PM #12 of 38
Album: SONGS
Track Title: Time Messenger
I think the only actual game-related track on that album is the symphonic poem. (And I think it was only used promotionally and not actually in the game, but I've never been 100% sure on how it was used.) Time Messenger is an image theme he wrote for the Cirque du Soleil production Dralion. I don't believe Hakase has any game works besides the one FFXII piece, so I think that's probably a no on that nomination.

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:37 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2009, 12:37 PM #13 of 38
I think the only actual game-related track on that album is the symphonic poem. (And I think it was only used promotionally and not actually in the game, but I've never been 100% sure on how it was used.) Time Messenger is an image theme he wrote for the Cirque du Soleil production Dralion. I don't believe Hakase has any game works besides the one FFXII piece, so I think that's probably a no on that nomination.
Ah, wasn't aware of that. No worries, here's a new nomination that I'm sure is eligible.

Composer: Elements Garden, I've, ebi, Barbarian On The Groove, SENTIVE, Dreaming Rabbit, Nekono Comet, Blasterhead
Album: Scarlett Reservation Soundtrack CD
Track Title: -United States 70's-
Track Number: 5
Year: 2006
Catalog Number: NEK02-031D
Additional Information: Composer credits for the soundtrack are unknown, so the composer is at least one of the ones listed above

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:54 PM #14 of 38
I wish my nomination made the cut, but whatever, it's not a big deal for me. I still need to listen to the tracks, but I don't see why we couldn't do another one-minute edition in six months or something.

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:23 PM #15 of 38
Three word reviews!

7 / 11 - In Front Of Doc's Folksy country atmosphere.

Biohazard -Code: Veronica- Complete Version Original Soundtrack - A Moment of Relief (Save Room Theme) Morose, downbeat piano.

Chaos World - Ares' Theme Fun, energetic chiptune.

Halo Wars Original Soundtrack - Just Ad Nauseum Epic, diverse mini-album.

Other Life Azure Dreams Original Game Soundtrack - THEME of FUR GOTS Endearing Asian kookiness.

SimCity 2000 (PSX Game Rip) - Virtual Village Nice beat, but…

Socket (Game Rip) - Stone Age Chippy Asian(!) action.

Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title Paging Dr. Wily.

Chaos – 1
Azure - 1
Wurm – 1

Total time: 7:27
Total filesize: 10.5 mb

Most amazing jew boots
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:54 AM Local time: Nov 18, 2009, 09:54 PM #16 of 38
So here's my votes:

3 points - Biohazard -Code: Veronica- Complete Version Original Soundtrack - A Moment of Relief (Save Room Theme)
2 points - Chaos World - Ares' Theme
1 point - Halo Wars Original Soundtrack - Just Ad Nauseum

Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:23 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2009, 12:23 AM #17 of 38
Here are my votes for a zippy week.

(2 points) Biohazard -Code Veronica- Complete Version Original Soundtrack - A Moment of Relief (Save Room Theme)
Great melody and atmosphere for such a short piece.

(2 points) 7 - 11 - In Front Of Doc's
Wonderful atmosphere. Did wish the melody could have been a bit stronger.

(1 point) Chaos World - Ares' Theme
I like the beat in this track. And it's hard not to like the melody.

(1 point) Wurm - Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title Screen
Nice moody chip tune.

I think therefore I am... I think.
Chuckster

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:44 AM #18 of 38
Fun week, but definitely took some getting used to because you couldn't ease your way into the song. What you see is what you get. I think it's worth another shot in a few months if only so everyone (myself included) can get their noms in.

(2 points) Chaos World - Ares' Theme
(2 points) Biohazard -Code: Veronica- Complete Version Original Soundtrack - A Moment of Relief (Save Room Theme)
(1 point) 7 / 11 - In Front Of Doc's
(1 point) Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title

Just missed: Halo Wars Original Soundtrack - Just Ad Nauseum; Socket (Game Rip) - Stone Age

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:27 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2009, 04:27 AM #19 of 38
Nomination:

Track Title: The Eternal Steam Engine
Composer: U2 Akiyama
Album: n/a
Source: Touhou Hisoutensoku game rip
Year: 2009 (August)

This track was used as the end roll / credits theme for Touhou Hisoutensoku (game 12.3 in the franchise). FTP uploading commencing.

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:04 AM #20 of 38
3 points - Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title
1 point - 7 / 11 - In Front Of Doc's
1 point - Chaos World - Ares' Theme
1 point - Halo Wars Original Soundtrack - Just Ad Nauseum

I found the Wurm song by just trying out random NES roms a couple years back, and I thought "holy crap awesome title music" and uploaded the title screen to youtube. Then I never bothered trying the actual game. And then a few months back I came across a copy of Wurm for a couple bucks and picked it up solely because of that title music.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:19 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2009, 04:19 PM #21 of 38
3 points: Socket (Game Rip) - Stone Age
2 points: Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title
1 point: Chaos World - Ares' Theme

I personally wouldn't mind having another ONE MINUTE (OR LESS) OF HEAVEN next week (making it a double theme-week), provided we get 5 more nominations, mine included. Not sure if that would suit the rest of you guys.

Nom for the regular queue:
  • Album: Batman (PC Engine Game Rip)
  • Artist: Nobuyuki Hara
  • Track #: 02
  • Track Title: Stage Areas 1-3
  • Year: 1990
  • Additional Info: The game has four stages, 12 areas each, and the music for each set of 3 is the same regardless of stage; i.e., music for areas 7-9 is the same for Gotham City, Axis Chemical Factory, Fluegelheim Museum etc.
  • Source: Game Credits for Batman: The Video Game, YouTube - PC Engine Music: Batman,

Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:27 PM #22 of 38
2 Points <> Chaos World - Ares' Theme
2 Points <> Other Life Azure Dreams Original Game Soundtrack - THEME of FUR GOTS
Points 1 <> SimCity 2000 (PSX Game Rip) - Virtual Village
Points 1 <> Socket (Game Rip) - Stone Age

I think too that this should be done fast, otherwise the tracks will fall into oblivion. I suggest one normal week and then this one right again. If you want to do it in 6 months, then it's fine too, but mark an exact date for this, otherwise it won't just get done.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:07 PM #23 of 38
3 Points: Other Life Azure Dreams Original Game Soundtrack - THEME of FUR GOTS
1 Point: Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Game Rip) - Title
1 Point: Biohazard -Code: Veronica- Complete Version Original Soundtrack - A Moment of Relief (Save Room Theme)
1 Point: Socket (Game Rip) - Stone Age

I think we should aim to do this again, for the rest of the usual participants, in about 3-4 weeks. This will place the next "60 Seconds of Heaven" into the next block of eight tracks. Right now, we have this week, the following normal week, and then the Battle Week to get through. Any time after that would be great.

HOWEVER! I myself would like to propose a rather timely theme week also!

Yuletide Song of the Week!

There are a surprising number of VGM tracks that have a Christmas/Winter theme to them, and I'd like to see a week dedicated to just that. I can't really think of a reason NOT to do it.

Anyone else up for this?

(For the record, "Chocobo's Happy Christmas" is already eliminated from competition. But there are plenty more!)

FELIPE NO
Chuckster

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:48 PM #24 of 38
I vote yes on both counts. I'll change my mind (which I do often) about the next 60-second week. I'm in for doing it right after the battle week. And Yuletide Song? Why not. Go nuts, kids, go nuts.

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:16 AM Local time: Nov 21, 2009, 03:16 PM #25 of 38
Crash, if someone hadn't brought that idea up I would probably have done so. Yep, I'm all for it! As for another 60 second week for the other nominators, definitely, in a few weeks or something. Like Dijinova said, a specific week is perhaps needed so people don't forget about it.

(It'll be hard for me to nominate something other than "Happy Holidays!" from Kingdom Hearts II for the Yuletide week though...)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 191 Voting/WEEK 192 Nominating