Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Most Unorthodox College Courses

evergreen
Bullet in the Head

Member 828

Level 19.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:08 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:08 AM #1 of 19
Most Unorthodox College Courses

I'm certain there have been more bizarre or unexpected ones elsewhere, but then again, the point of the thread is flushing them out.

What's the oddest classes you've seen crop up at a college, either yours or one you've heard about?

I know I've seen one about Asian Shooting flicks. I know this won't end up being rhetorical, but does anyone have anything more peculiar?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Hachifusa
Pre-defined Avatar~

Member 121

Level 17.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:11 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:11 AM #2 of 19
There's a class here for western haiku. I guess I can see a class on haiku in general, but one that focuses on the west? I always found it bizarre.

Most amazing jew boots
Von
Tchaimscriabalustmaninoff

Member 1508

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:13 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:13 AM #3 of 19
Er, it's not really that odd in this day and age, but there are at least 20 classes of Gay Fiction Studies at UCLA.

Apparently, they spend a semester (1 unit) studying about how all characters in all stories show signs of homosexuality, from Huckleberry Finn's apparent moves toward Tom, to Holly Short's unnatural affection for 'mud men.'

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:16 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 05:16 AM #4 of 19
Underwater basket weaving.
I forget where it was, but it was at one of the multiple universities in Grand Rapids, MI.

I dont think many people can top that.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Fjordor; Mar 5, 2006 at 04:49 AM.
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:41 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:41 PM #5 of 19
Originally Posted by Fyodor D.
I forget where it was, but it was at one of the multiple universities in Grand Rapids, MI.

I dont think many people can top that.
We have that here in Oregon :/ we also have a normal basket weaving class taught by some local native americans...

I was speaking idiomatically.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:02 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 05:02 AM #6 of 19
There's a special topics course in the math department next semester completely devoted to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:24 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:24 PM #7 of 19
There was a university (I forget the name), in Wales which had a degree in wine tasting.

My university itself made me study the 'lega systems of Asia and Africa' as a module when I'm studying English law, that sucked.

FELIPE NO
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:23 AM #8 of 19
One of my college courses is flight training - we go up for 1-3 hour lessons with instructors, or 3-5 hour long cross country trips...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rocca
is Finding Forever.

Member 609

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:28 AM #9 of 19
There was a winemaking course at my old College. Surprisingly enough, all the jocks enrolled so there was a lot of dry humor flying around the classroom about "making your own shit" and "getting crunk". I swear, some of the people you meet later on are as retarded as in high school.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Jiraiya
Out Of The Blue

Member 486

Level 10.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:55 AM #10 of 19
Originally Posted by Rocca
There was a winemaking course at my old College. Surprisingly enough, all the jocks enrolled so there was a lot of dry humor flying around the classroom about "making your own shit" and "getting crunk". I swear, some of the people you meet later on are as retarded as in high school.
Id probably take that too. But I wouldnt drink it, Id sell it to family and friends :fish:

Im not in college so I cant really reply to this but, I could only imagine the professors for some of these classes.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:12 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:12 AM #11 of 19
Originally Posted by Rocca
Welcome to the truths of college.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:48 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:48 AM #12 of 19
I'm sure there's another college out there that has student created and student run courses. Here at Cal, we've had a program called DeCal (Democratic Education at Cal) where there have been student-initiated classes for about 40 years. So in recent history, I can remember there being DeCals for "Simpsons and Philosophy", "Intro to DJing", "Breakdancing", and "African Drumming".

Leave it to the students to make the most interesting courses.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:49 PM #13 of 19
Originally Posted by Fyodor D.
Whaaa...? What is it exactly? Like, you jump in a pool with all your material and start weaving while holding your breath, then come back up, take another breath, and go back to work on your basket?

Oh, and weirdest I've seen is "Chemistry of wine", which is essentially winemaking. Not exactly that special.

I was speaking idiomatically.
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:51 PM #14 of 19
One of my brother's old roommates took glassblowing.. but that doesn't really compare to underwater basketweaving.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:06 PM #15 of 19
Our English department has become an arena for professors to make their darkest literary desires come true.

Cases in point: last semester, we had a class entirely on Harry Potter and the literary study of the books (probably had a huge unit on the homosocial bonding between Harry and Ron...). I'm taking another this semester, a class on westerns in literature. So we actually are assigned Louis L'Amour books and John Wayne films as texts! I plan to write a paper on Firefly/Serenity for that one.

FELIPE NO
doodle
fingertips

Member 579

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:20 PM #16 of 19
Here at my college, we have a course on Mycology, which is the study of mushrooms. Sounds like it would be very entertaining. I've heard that the professor will just randomly say "mushrooms are so awesome".

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:02 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 06:02 PM #17 of 19
Originally Posted by YeOldeButchere
Whaaa...? What is it exactly? Like, you jump in a pool with all your material and start weaving while holding your breath, then come back up, take another breath, and go back to work on your basket?
I have no idea what goes on in these classes. I just heard about them, and saw them in the undergraduate catalog.

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:03 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 03:03 PM #18 of 19
Like Rollins, my school has student-taught courses (we call them StuCo, though). Here's a small sampling of what's offered this semester.

No Limit Texas Hold'em Poker
Fun with Robots
Introduction to Anime (I can't imagine how much I'd hate the people in that class. 33% of the school's population is asian and I bet it's white kids teaching it.)
Designing Disney: The Art & Theory of Theme Park
Wit Lit: What is Funny?
Safe Sex Practices
Dream Study: Internal Guide for Living One's Life

For non-StuCo courses, I'd have to say my favorite is "Acting for Non-Majors." They spend the first half of the course getting comfortable speaking infront of a group.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Most Unorthodox College Courses