Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: About how many books do you think you have read in the past year?
0 18 13.74%
1 16 12.21%
2 9 6.87%
3 13 9.92%
4-5 21 16.03%
6-7 9 6.87%
8-10 11 8.40%
11-12 5 3.82%
13-15 3 2.29%
16-20 6 4.58%
21-30 6 4.58%
31-40 5 3.82%
41-50 2 1.53%
51+ 7 5.34%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

1 in 4 adults read no books last year

Sword Familiar
uhu

Member 1159

Level 16.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 03:08 AM Local time: Aug 26, 2007, 09:08 AM #76 of 120
If you count books you've STARTED reading this year, but didn't finish (which you don't), I've probably read about.. 3? Like Chaotic, I'm not much of a reader. I do have periods where I'll read a shitload of books in a week or so, then won't read another book for six months. Frankly, I don't have enough leisure time to read books (although I do seem to fit in video games somehow).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 05:27 AM Local time: Aug 26, 2007, 08:27 PM #77 of 120
Last book I read was about seven years ago, it was a Tom Clancy book. This is a warning to others who are thinking about reading a Tom Clancy book, watch out!

I was speaking idiomatically.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 03:28 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2007, 01:28 PM #78 of 120
The internet does not care about academic standards or review.
Do books?

Books are an extremely efficient method of conveying information, THEREFORE:

People who get information from books get that information highly efficiently, THEREFORE:

Those people can more easily absorb a like quantity of information as compared to those gleaning said information from other sources, THEREFORE:

You're just dumb as hell.
I dunno, as long as they are, I think watching the Lord of the Rings Trilogy is a much faster method of obtaining the essentials of the novel than trying to trudge through 100000 pages of the blandest writing this side of Brady's LJ.

How ya doing, buddy?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 05:20 PM #79 of 120
Do you seriously think I was including fiction in my calculation, or are you just trolling me

FELIPE NO
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 06:06 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2007, 06:06 PM #80 of 120
More so than the internet, I daresay.

I guess he could go to a library and access a database but, UH, LOTS OF BOOKS IN THE LIBRARY.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 08:28 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2007, 06:28 PM #81 of 120
More so than the internet, I daresay.

I guess he could go to a library and access a database but, UH, LOTS OF BOOKS IN THE LIBRARY.
More so than the internet, but not nearly as much as a peer-reviewed journal. I think the Time Cube guy has a book, but last I checked he hasn't been published in Nature.

Do you seriously think I was including fiction in my calculation, or are you just trolling me
Even if you don't, it still matters what kind of learner you are. Some people are visual, some people are auditory, some people have to write material in order to learn it, and some have to do something in order to learn it. A person that is best at learning through hearing isn't going to be getting a whole lot out of books.

To me this feels kinda like the argument that some people I've met seem to believe that unless you listen to classical music then you can't actually be that smart.

Most amazing jew boots
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 08:39 PM #82 of 120
Reaver, the argument is here because I think DragoonKain is trying to troll but failing miserably and showing his idiocy while doing so.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 08:40 PM Local time: Aug 27, 2007, 01:40 AM #83 of 120
I find it fairly despicable that most people my age have some kind of aversion to picking up a book. In my entire circle of friends (numbering maybe 25), I can think of two who actually enjoy reading.

Literature's always been an integral part of my life. If I don't have the free time to lay back and pick something engaging up, then god dammit, I will make time. It's a priority.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 08:44 PM #84 of 120
A person that is best at learning through hearing isn't going to be getting a whole lot out of books.
'sup audio books

Seriously, while it's all fine to learn-through-doing (or through-hearing, through-seeing, etc), that isn't Kain's problem. He's perfectly capable of reading the sports page for information that he wants from it. He just doesn't read books, arbitrarily. I've never heard of learning-by-reading-newsprint-only. We could probably fool him into reading Crime and Punishment if we disguised it as the Sunday Times and sprinkled pictures of basketball players here and there.

AlphaDeus
[ IKZ ]

Member 580

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 08:49 PM #85 of 120
Technically I read every day. I read news articles online and forum posts.

However, in my entire life, I have never read a book from start to finish. I just don't have the patience to sit down and start reading something I can't finish in one sitting. Does that make me stupid? Try having a conversation with me sometime and find out for yourself. I'm not incredibly smart, but I manage to get through the day-to-day with no problem.

It's unfortunate that you need to judge people by how much they read. It doesn't mean shit in the big picture.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:08 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2007, 09:08 PM #86 of 120
More so than the internet, but not nearly as much as a peer-reviewed journal. I think the Time Cube guy has a book, but last I checked he hasn't been published in Nature.
So, do you actually have a point here or are you just trolling?

I think it's pretty obvious that I'm not referring to 9/11 The Big Lie.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:19 PM #87 of 120
I'm not incredibly smart, but I manage to get through the day-to-day with no problem.
Hey, thanks for your eyewitness report that failure to be literate does not cause Instant Death Cancer, Ikky. Obviously a person can be very successful without reading anything more advanced than My Pet Goat; that doesn't make it an admirable trait.

Man, what a thing to break a lurk for. "HEY, I DON'T READ BOOKS, AND I DON'T THINK I'M DUMB".

FELIPE NO
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:29 PM #88 of 120
The books one is forced to read for classes in HS and sometimes even college can make a person bitter. I've been reading non-fiction current event type stuff for the most part. The stupid fucking "classics" that I was forced to read in order to get good grades in highschool could have sworn me off reading forever. Shit, Ethan Frome was an exercise in futility.
A lot of high school "literature" is a bunch of crap, but then you get the occasional awesome teacher who thinks that reading something interesting AND educational is important. (Charles Dickens WHAT THE FUCK)

At the same time, a lot of people have to read a bunch of bullshit throughout their educational career. It comes with the territory sadly. You're not going to like the majority of what you read in a academia, or so I observe from pretty much everyone I know.

However, I'm surprised that you don't distinguish between "pleasurable" reading" and "this is bullshit" reading.

Frankly, reading a GOOD book is sometimes better than going to the movies or whatever. I think it's the matter of finding a style that you can really get into. Which I admit is extremely hard on occasion.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:09 PM 1 #89 of 120
Vonnegut. 'Nuff said.

How ya doing, buddy?
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:44 PM #90 of 120
I read all the Halo novels last year.

and a few Steven King novels and shit, I guess

#654: Braixen
Garnet
Princess. ;d

Member 16676

Level 6.41

Dec 2006

Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:51 AM Local time: Aug 26, 2007, 11:51 PM #91 of 120
I've read probably 2 books in the past year,not counting magazines and manga. ;p I haven't had that much time to read sadly. ;( But I do tend to read atleast 1 or 2 books a year since I have trouble falling asleep at night alot. So I sit in bed reading until I get sleepy. ;p

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:08 AM Local time: Aug 27, 2007, 09:08 AM #92 of 120
'sup audio books

Seriously, while it's all fine to learn-through-doing (or through-hearing, through-seeing, etc), that isn't Kain's problem. He's perfectly capable of reading the sports page for information that he wants from it. He just doesn't read books, arbitrarily. I've never heard of learning-by-reading-newsprint-only. We could probably fool him into reading Crime and Punishment if we disguised it as the Sunday Times and sprinkled pictures of basketball players here and there.
I suppose this whole thing might be how I've never actually felt satisfied after I finish a book even though I read a ton. I'll usually get a good way into it, finally start to enjoy it, then the ending happens and I'm all "ok that was kinda weak." Of course, I also don't like most long books because I've found so few authors actually have 600 pages of worthwhile material to write.

I don't even know why I bother reading all of the books I do.

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2007, 08:54 PM #93 of 120
His Dark Materials. Also 'nuff said.

Maybe The Dark Is Rising.

How ya doing, buddy?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:05 PM #94 of 120
Unless a book interests me intensely, I almost never read actual books anymore. Last year, the only real books I've read are all of Dan Brown's works. This year, I've read nothing but Harry Potter 7 and a couple of Michael Moore books. I always look for cultural interest books on the shelves like Freakonomics and such but I never end up buying them and thus never get to reading any. My reading is primarily internet articles, and textbooks don't count.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:37 PM 1 1 #95 of 120
Dan Brown, Harry Potter, Michael Moore
I am beginning to think you guys don't like reading books because the only books you've ever read are shitty ones. It's like your parents taking you to see your first movie, and it's Troll 2. The medium becomes suspect.

FELIPE NO
Gakineko
You're sukiyaki!

Member 3199

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2007, 01:13 AM Local time: Aug 27, 2007, 10:13 PM #96 of 120
out of all honesty, i haven't set a leisurely finger on a book since elementary school. i would certainly have to say that school has really spoiled reading for me (this is not to mention all of the bitter tales and bland historical documentation having weened me far from it).

i really don't think that school does well enough to encourage people to read or utilize public libraries as resources. there's plenty there for everyone, but outside elementary school, libraries are primarily used for a few key books to help with research for papers. its hard to remember times when reading wasn't objective.

having to wade through the swell of authors was a feat that i did not want to put myself through. i wasn't willing to dig around to find a book among the labyrinth of shelves only to find that it was just short of appealing.

i also happen to appreciate videogames more than reading. with all the time i could spend reading a book, i could be finishing one of the hundreds of games left in my collection...

Most amazing jew boots
Lady Jedi
Looking to become something more...

Member 13922

Level 3.93

Oct 2006

Old Aug 28, 2007, 01:29 AM Local time: Aug 27, 2007, 11:29 PM #97 of 120
I like to read for entertainment and sometimes education. How many books I read a year depends on how interesting I find a particular series. I started the Dresden files by Jim Butcher a few months ago and have reached book 4, so at a rough guess I read at least a novel a month but can get up to one a week if I'm feeling the need to read. I'm always willing to try new authors since I go to the public library (free books = reading lots of books).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Save your tears for the day
When our pain is far behind
On your feet, come with me
We are soldiers stand or die
Save your fears, take your place
Save them for the judgement day
Fast and free, follow me
Time to make the sacrifice
We rise or fall
nitsu
Clearly Psycho

Member 148

Level 5.35

Mar 2006

Old Aug 28, 2007, 01:47 PM #98 of 120
I am on book # 59 right now for the year, The Ruins by Scott Smith. My reading tastes are pretty much eclectic, I will read anything from just about anyone as long as it sounds interesting to me, or is by an author I have already invested heavily in.

I have for the past few years averaged around 5 books per month, but somewhere this year I got way ahead of myself.

GhaleonQ
Holy Paladin Fencer *snickers*

Member 20358

Level 16.99

Feb 2007

Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:26 PM Local time: Aug 28, 2007, 01:26 PM #99 of 120
I went highbrow this summer. Fiction-wise, I branched out from my favorites (e.g., "1 Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch" from "The Brothers Karamazov," Yeats from Eliot, "The Fairy Queen" from "The Song Of Roland). For non-fiction, I found brilliant modern histories of my ancestors' homes (Prussian Germany and Tuscan Italy). I finally caved and subscribed to The Economist and the Wall Street Journal instead of getting them free from school. Hell, I even finally parsed out my 25 favorite classical/art music composers, which required a lot of reading.

I've already purchased my requisite blazer, pipe, and monocle.

Klaus
Please... don't touch me.

Member 2469

Level 7.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 30, 2007, 01:16 AM #100 of 120
Just one, I don't actually feel the need to read. I just do so whenever I like.

"So shut your cow-mouth or I'll remove your face by hand before I stop your whore's heart!"
~Victor von Doom

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > 1 in 4 adults read no books last year