Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Lucky ☆ Star

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 07:53 AM Local time: May 17, 2007, 02:53 PM #51 of 216
I loved the last episode, although I almost didn't like the Initial D reference since it was a bit over the top by Lucky Star standards. One of the charms of the show is its realism, and that just kinda went over the edge. Other than that, very funny stuff. Especially when
Spoiler:
Kagami complained that nobody hit on her because of Konata, and:

Konata's reaction to that. :3

Most amazing jew boots
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 08:28 AM Local time: May 17, 2007, 06:28 AM #52 of 216
For some reason I get the feeling that each episode is too short, and particularly this most recent one. :< Its like before you know exactly what hits you, its already over. :<

Other than that, very funny stuff. Especially when
Spoiler:

Well, I personally think its also the joke surrounding that one.

Spoiler:

I especially liked it when

This happened. :3

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 09:44 AM Local time: May 17, 2007, 10:44 PM #53 of 216
That is why you shouldn't put random things up to your ear

This series is starting to produce Haruhi level memes, which is astounding considering it's like a KyoAni "B-team" production. Here's some of them:

Tsukasa video
YouTube Video

Another Tsukasa video
YouTube Video

OP RedAlice remix (which is insane)
YouTube Video

Here it is in mp3: Lucky Star OP RedAlice remix

I was speaking idiomatically.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 09:55 AM Local time: May 17, 2007, 07:55 AM #54 of 216
Originally Posted by Bigblah
This series is starting to produce Haruhi level memes, which is astounding considering it's like a KyoAni "B-team" production.
I think they have the Kyoto Animation's own reputation and the success of Haruhi (and perhaps Kanon 2006) to thank for that. Secondly, because of the type of show it is, there is different type expectation. We are not exactly looking for major eye candy in terms of visual or animation quality in this particular anime. With that said, the animation quality has be pretty consistent (unlike some of Gainx's animation, namely Gurren Lagann and stuff from Gonzo overall). :<

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 10:11 AM Local time: May 17, 2007, 05:11 PM #55 of 216
Yeah I've been pretty impressed with the goofy stuff the Japanese people have been coming up with for this show. There's also a pretty good NES remix of the main theme here:
YouTube Video
Though it's not as good as the Haruhi NES remix by the same guy. Not yet anyway, because the guy tends to improve his tracks as he updates them. (Though that version is clearly not as NES-accurate as the Lucky Star OP.) I like the video is a lot better than the Haruhi one though, since the animation is more variated.

If anyone wants it, I have a 64kbps rip of the full version of the OP. It's not that interesting, just more of the same basically.

I'm glad the show is really picking up in popularity like I predicted, not just because I love being right (:3) but also because if the popularity of the show is bad, we might not get fast high quality subs. Plus, there's some freakin' awesome fanart going around.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by surasshu; May 17, 2007 at 10:31 AM.
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 11:05 AM Local time: May 17, 2007, 09:05 AM #56 of 216
I loved the last episode, although I almost didn't like the Initial D reference since it was a bit over the top by Lucky Star standards. One of the charms of the show is its realism, and that just kinda went over the edge. Other than that, very funny stuff. Especially when
Spoiler:

I loved the hell out of that Initial D sequence. It nailed everything down perfectly, ranging from the Eurobeat, the dialogue, and the biggest lol of all:

Spoiler:

Fastest race EVER!!!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 12:09 PM Local time: May 17, 2007, 07:09 PM #57 of 216
I loved the hell out of that Initial D sequence. It nailed everything down perfectly, ranging from the Eurobeat, the dialogue, and the biggest lol of all:

Spoiler:

Fastest race EVER!!!
I agree that it was hilarious, I just think that in the context of the show it is a little out of place. I would have to go back to check, but I'm pretty sure this was the first parody sequence in the show. But yeah, it's super funny, really well done. My favourite part was actually those two blokes at the side of the road talking about "bureaking" and "dorifting". XD

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 12:57 PM #58 of 216
I'd seen that RedAlice thing before, but never any of the others. The Erasermotor Maximum/Phantom thing made me chuckle as a IIDX player.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 06:19 PM Local time: May 17, 2007, 04:19 PM #59 of 216
I'm glad the show is really picking up in popularity like I predicted, not just because I love being right (:3) but also because if the popularity of the show is bad, we might not get fast high quality subs.
Was anyone really expecting Lucky Star to tank? Pretty much every series that KyoAni has been the chief producer for has been popular, or at least fan-approved.

I doubt strato really cares about relative popularity when deciding what to work on, anyhow...

How ya doing, buddy?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 06:32 PM Local time: May 18, 2007, 01:32 AM #60 of 216
Was anyone really expecting Lucky Star to tank? Pretty much every series that KyoAni has been the chief producer for has been popular, or at least fan-approved.

I doubt strato really cares about relative popularity when deciding what to work on, anyhow...
Well, I certainly wasn't expecting it to tank, I was expecting it to really take off in popularity after episode 3 or 4. But a lot of Western fans (actually, everybody that I talked to) complained about the show being 1) boring, 2) badly drawn, 3) unfunny, or a combination of the above.

Perhaps you're right about strato--but I know from personal experience it's very unsatisfying to work on something that just isn't taking off. Anyway, yaywoo success. ;3

Apparently the DVD of the show has already outsold Azumanga Daioh, just on preorders. I'm not sure what to think of that cause I do think Azumanga is the better show, but yeah--big stuff. (Not sure where I read that, so I can't really say if it was a reliable source.)

Last edited by surasshu; May 17, 2007 at 06:38 PM.
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 02:34 AM Local time: May 18, 2007, 12:34 AM #61 of 216
Well I don't mean to be mean, but after marathoning through episodes 1~5 on the RAW formats, I'd see why Western fans would find it boring. I myself found myself watching / listening to the show mostly for background noise while doing homework. I do like that the main character is into net games though. Has some traits I can easily relate to.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 02:56 AM Local time: May 18, 2007, 03:56 PM #62 of 216
There's only so much they can do with the source material, anyway. The author seems to be heavy on the tsukkomi gags rather than non-sequitur humour (Azumanga's style).

zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2007, 11:32 PM Local time: May 22, 2007, 09:32 PM #63 of 216
Just finished watching episode 7. A lot of good highlights this time around, but I think the thing that stood out the most was this:
Spoiler:

HOLY CRAP!!!! Is it referencing what I think it's referencing?

FELIPE NO
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2007, 06:39 AM Local time: May 23, 2007, 04:39 AM #64 of 216
Well, I certainly wasn't expecting it to tank, I was expecting it to really take off in popularity after episode 3 or 4. But a lot of Western fans (actually, everybody that I talked to) complained about the show being 1) boring, 2) badly drawn, 3) unfunny, or a combination of the above.
Seriously. The first few episodes were painful to watch. But then I remembered what someone posted somewhere about not judging an entire series on the initial episodes and pretty much just stuck with it for the Lucky Channel segment (<3 Akira).

I don't know when it was exactly but I started to look forward to the next episodes and even found some of the content funny. Konata's what really drew me in to the series as her issues cultivated a lot of empathy as they were easily relatable.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 03:53 AM Local time: May 25, 2007, 12:53 AM #65 of 216
The latest episode 7 was fun to watch, LOVED Konata's impression on Marimite, Tsukasa's phone hyjinks!

The pacing also improved over the last couple of episodes, which is a good thing. Lucky Channel needs some newer set up or jokes though, cause its starting to get stale.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 07:15 AM Local time: May 25, 2007, 02:15 PM #66 of 216
Interestingly, I read that they changed director from episode 5 on, which is more or less the episode when the pace started picking up.

Honestly, I never really liked Lucky Channel. It's pretty funny, but it takes time away from the actual show which I enjoy a great deal more. And right from the start I could tell that they were going to do the same stupid joke over and over again, because Japanese "comedy" duos are like that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 07:53 AM Local time: May 25, 2007, 05:53 AM #67 of 216
The director changed from Yutaka Yamamoto to Yasuhiro Takemoto (who directed stuff like FMP? Fumoffu and FMP:TSR) which would explain the change of pace.

Curiously enough, in episode 4 Konata said "Ya***** hasn't been very impressive lately" in reference to "those long-winded Nagato scenes" from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. They probably just aired episode 9 (Someday in the Rain), which Yamamato storyboarded. A subtle reference to him being replaced? Who knows! Ha ha ha.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DarknessTear
Metal Overman King Gainer

Member 2520

Level 14.96

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 08:27 AM 1 #68 of 216

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 11:53 AM #69 of 216
I don't get it...

But on another matter, did the official lyrics of the OP seem REALLY weird? I mean, the unofficial translation didn't make much sense, but the official ones make even less sense.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 01:20 PM Local time: May 25, 2007, 08:20 PM #70 of 216
I don't get it...

But on another matter, did the official lyrics of the OP seem REALLY weird? I mean, the unofficial translation didn't make much sense, but the official ones make even less sense.
Yeah, those are the official lyrics as printed in the booklet. Japanese people, eh? The only way I can make sense of it is if there are a lot of puns/word jokes/references in it, which I don't particularly get.

hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 02:30 PM Local time: May 26, 2007, 03:30 AM #71 of 216
Any one know where the song "Stars on Earth" is from? I somehow get the feeling that I've heard it before, but I'm not too sure....

The ED karaoke songs are LOL!!! Especially while listening to Tsukasa's version of "Valentine Day Kiss!", with Konata doing improv background vocals:

"L-O-V-E - LOVELY - TSUKASA!!!"

FELIPE NO
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 03:36 PM Local time: May 26, 2007, 04:36 AM #72 of 216
It's from the NHK documentary "Project X ~ Challengers".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l5i2uwaXoQ

Song starts 3 minutes in.

That's Minoru Shiraishi and his, um, sunflower pigtails that they referenced in Lucky Channel #7.

Lucky Channel is starting to get stale partly because, unless you keep up with all different mediums, you won't know wtf they're talking about.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 09:51 PM Local time: May 25, 2007, 06:51 PM #73 of 216
Even so, the situation is constantly "Akira getting pissed cause someone is stealing her limelight."

Maybe something new in that regard can help things.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2007, 02:46 PM Local time: May 29, 2007, 01:46 PM #74 of 216
Yeah I've been pretty impressed with the goofy stuff the Japanese people have been coming up with for this show. There's also a pretty good NES remix of the main theme here:
YouTube Video
Though it's not as good as the Haruhi NES remix by the same guy. Not yet anyway, because the guy tends to improve his tracks as he updates them. (Though that version is clearly not as NES-accurate as the Lucky Star OP.) I like the video is a lot better than the Haruhi one though, since the animation is more variated.
I think this chiptune sounds much more accurate:

YouTube Video

Most amazing jew boots

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2007, 03:10 PM Local time: May 29, 2007, 10:10 PM #75 of 216
That's really good, I've never heard Tony Thai do anything half that good! It reminds me of the stuff that Chibi-Tech does. And there's even a NSF, thanks for the link!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Lucky ☆ Star