Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 09:11 PM #3526 of 3592
You obviously haven't read the reviews. They're not complaining about the range, they're complaining about how arbitrarily the lockon picks targets, and how you can't choose one. Yes, it's a dragon, not a computer, but you'd figure you'd be able to, say, point at something and have the dragon go after it. It's not THAT hard.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 09:30 PM #3527 of 3592
That's just it though. You have to go after something yourself, then onece you get close enough the dragon will lock onto that target you are going after and then you can do whatever you want. What does it matter if you lock-on and go after something or go after it and then lock on, either way you can't do anything until you get close enough anyway. Like I said most reviewers seem to not be paying attention to what needs to be done and instead play the game how they think it should work, and then when the game doesn't do what they want they get mad at it. Therefore as I said before, if the developer had explained things better in the game people would probably know how things work a little more clearly.

And trust me there's a lot to be explained. 9 pages of the manual are dedicated to controls alone.

FELIPE NO
espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:46 AM #3528 of 3592
Has anyone tried the sixaxis controls for warhawk? I'm curious, I dont know if its the limitations of the sixaxis or crappy programming that makes Lair such a bitch to play.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:30 AM #3529 of 3592
9 pages of the manual are dedicated to controls alone.
This right here is the problem. When a control scheme takes THAT MUCH explanation, it's way too dense and liable to be hard to pick up. Whether or not game reviewers bothered to pick it up is one thing, but if I looked at an instruction manual that was 9 pages of how to fly my dragon, I'd just say "Fuck it" and play something else. Gaming should not be that research-intensive.

Additional Spam:
Has anyone tried the sixaxis controls for warhawk? I'm curious, I dont know if its the limitations of the sixaxis or crappy programming that makes Lair such a bitch to play.
From what I've heard, it's the latter, because Warhawk is being praised as a good use of Sixaxis.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by value tart; Sep 3, 2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:34 AM Local time: Sep 3, 2007, 07:34 PM #3530 of 3592
I suppose it should be noted Warhawk also let's you choose whether to use sixaxis or regular controls.

On the other hand, I personally felt the sixaxis controls felt entirely natural in Lair (in early code), far, far more natural than in any flight game or any other PS3 game for that matter. So much so that in general sixaxis is simply unwieldy and uncomfortable to use (simply because of the zero feedback), making you wish there was an alternative for it (such as in Warhawk), which of course destroys the entire purpose of the system.

In Lair though, it felt like the controls were specifically designed for flight.

I've no idea (nor comment) how the controls fare with the rest of the game, ground and air battles included, but the flying itself was perfect.

That one review complained about how you have to make frustrating long and slow arcs to turn around, not realizing there's a move for a quick 180 degrees turn, does hint that maybe they just want to rag on it for the sake of it. It probably doesn't fair very well as a game, no. But to only complain about the controls is like complaining about the difficulty in something like God Hand.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Sep 3, 2007 at 11:41 AM.
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2007, 05:54 PM Local time: Sep 3, 2007, 05:54 PM #3531 of 3592
Alright guys. 3 things:

1) Hey look! PS3 Loco Roco isn't even a game, but an interactive screensaver for your PS3…or something?
Quote:
Sony has revealed that LocoRoco Cocoreccho! on PS3 won't be a game, but an interactive screensaver with which you can interact. Interactively.
Once you've sat looking at your telly for long enough the experience will begin, putting you in control of a little butterfly who has to wake the singing LocoRoco up. When they do, you'll have to guide them around the level, tilting branches and other platforms using the motion-sensing Sixaxis controller.
ARGH what the hell. I will admit this would be a pretty sweet screensaver, but I wanted ONLINE PLAY DAMMIT. I’m also not too keen on the idea of purchasing screensavers, either…

2) I finally moved back into my apartment up at school and got everything situated. I have a big 60” SD TV, and wow it’s nothing like the HD TV I got at home. I plugged in my PS3 and noticed some really faint dark diagonal lines moving across the screen from left to right. I went through all of the display configurations and tried out some different settings, but the lines are still there . Is this...normal?

I did however notice that I could have chosen an S-Video cable, and also know that this big ol’ TV has a couple of S-Video jacks on the back. I really don’t know anything about TV’s and their resolutions or anything, but if I were to go out and buy one of these cables, would the picture quality be any better than my standard PS2 AV cables that I’m using now? I know it probably wouldn’t be anywhere near the 720p HDMI like back at home, but are they capable of putting out a higher resolution than what I am currently using assuming my TV can support this higher resolution?

Any help on this would be awesome guys :/. Any cable types or brand name suggestions would be awesome, too.

3) I have access to Warhawk again. Who wants some.

That is all.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2007, 06:22 PM #3532 of 3592
Originally Posted by BlueBomber
I did however notice that I could have chosen an S-Video cable, and also know that this big ol’ TV has a couple of S-Video jacks on the back. I really don’t know anything about TV’s and their resolutions or anything, but if I were to go out and buy one of these cables, would the picture quality be any better than my standard PS2 AV cables that I’m using now? I know it probably wouldn’t be anywhere near the 720p HDMI like back at home, but are they capable of putting out a higher resolution than what I am currently using assuming my TV can support this higher resolution?
S-Video cables won't let the PS3 output at a higher resolution than what you're currently seeing with the regular composite cables, but they will improve image quality a fair bit. If you want to go ahead and pick up the cables, it's up to you, but if you don't like the improvement simply return them if you can.

Most amazing jew boots

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2007, 08:12 PM #3533 of 3592
@Mo0
It shouldn't matter how technical the game is along as;

A) The controls work and make sense

and

B) They're explained so that the user can get a hold of the controls to then play the game

While A was executed fairly well, it's B that F5 failed on with their in-game tutorial that covers about 1/2 of the controls.

@Qwarky
Thank you for the positive input on Lair ^^

@BlueBomber
I remember when I got my S-video cables for my PS2 when MGS2 was the best game on the market and I difinately noticed the image quality improvement. Basically S-video increases colour seperation of the signal. Kind of like a prototype for composite. So yeah, it's worth getting if you can get the cable for like $15 - 20.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Slayer X; Sep 3, 2007 at 08:14 PM.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2007, 08:35 PM #3534 of 3592
It also gives a fair boost to sharpness which helps PS2 games a lot, but can actually cause PSOne games to look quite shitty. I had to keep my composite cables around for awhile back when I still had a SDTV for games like Vagarant Story and Valkyrie Profile. I just emulate all my PSOne games now, though, since they all look like shit on a HDTV regardless of connection! :-D

Most amazing jew boots
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2007, 09:11 PM Local time: Sep 3, 2007, 09:11 PM #3535 of 3592
Got a tech question for you guys.

I bought a copy of the first Sly Cooper game today cuz I wanted to replay it, and I got it on teh ch34p. Put it in the PS3, played it for a bit, everything was fantabulous.

Started the game back up, and the PS3 locks up. The controller won't even switch off to be rebooted into PS2 mode. In fact, while I can eject the disc, holding my finger on the power button doesn't turn the system off -- I've had to flip the switch to turn the system off.

What's going on? I have the new 80 GB PS3 which, if I'm not mistaken, uses software emulation instead of the previous models' hardware emulation. Is that the problem? Of course I did start with the troubleshooting basics and tried another disc, one that my roommate had been playing earlier in the day. It caused the same problem.

FELIPE NO

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:27 AM Local time: Sep 4, 2007, 10:27 AM #3536 of 3592
What you described is exactly what used to randomly happen during the early phases of the Warhawk beta. You couldn't simply reset or turn off the system from the front, but had to actually reach behind the console and flip the power switch. I would assume that it's an emulation problem, as the software isn't quite perfect :/, but I'll let someone who actually knows what they're talking about diagnose the cause of your problem.
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
S-Video cables won't let the PS3 output at a higher resolution than what you're currently seeing with the regular composite cables, but they will improve image quality a fair bit. If you want to go ahead and pick up the cables, it's up to you, but if you don't like the improvement simply return them if you can.
Well, then this is a definite purchase for me if it will improve the image quality. I'm a little confused on what to go out and actually buy, since I didn't really see an S-Video slot on the back of the PS3. I assume I need a special PS3 cord like this one? Or will any third party cord do just fine...? Thanks a lot guys.

How ya doing, buddy?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:21 AM #3537 of 3592
Don't go with third-party ones. If anything goes wrong and they find out you used third-party cables, they can void your warranty a la Microsoft and the 360 Intercoolers.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 01:30 PM #3538 of 3592
However at the same time I can't say as though I've ever heard of someone's system being damaged by any way by a set of A/V cords. A power cord on the other hand I would agree.

@BlueBomber
As long as it's a set of PS2 or 3 S-video cords you'll be fine. If you do go third party though, I only ever trust Nyko or Intec, no one else.

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 03:14 PM #3539 of 3592
Also Loling at the backwards compatibility problems already. Stupid Sony should have just left the chip in. I got my friend to get a PS3 before the EE was removed and I have the 60gb as well. I feel bad for people who missed out.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:20 PM #3540 of 3592
People want the thing to be cheaper, but they want more at the same time. No wonder Sony can't win for losing.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:22 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2007, 04:22 PM #3541 of 3592
Cutting the EE out would not save a whole hell of a lot on manufacturing costs per unit, y'know.

Most amazing jew boots
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:26 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2007, 04:26 PM #3542 of 3592
Haven't the Euro consoles lacked the EE from the start though? And I don't remember seeing the Euronerds complaining about software emulation.

Also slayer, you can stop being a Sony apologist now, we get it already.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:31 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2007, 04:31 PM #3543 of 3592
Yes and you must have missed it, respectively. It's certainly better now than it used to be, though.

How ya doing, buddy?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 06:14 PM Local time: Sep 5, 2007, 02:14 AM #3544 of 3592
Cutting the EE out would not save a whole hell of a lot on manufacturing costs per unit, y'know.
It sure as hell didn't make the damn thing any cheaper here, that's for sure.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 06:35 PM #3545 of 3592
Hey, did anyone update to 1.92? It says that it makes the XMB faster and I do notice it loading quicker than usual. The update also tells us that it fixes a few bugs with the ps1/ps2 compatibility issues.

This concerns me because when I play Marvel vs Capcom 2, etc, I lose sound and when I change the channel to go back to hdmi , No picture shows. I'll probably check a few other ps2 titles because it's getting annoying. I would have to plug out my hdtv cord and then plug it in so it'll go back to normal. So far, no ps1 titles do that. At least not when I play Valkyrie Profile 1 countless times.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 08:56 PM #3546 of 3592
I noticed a video speak feature. Don't know if it's new or not but it's there. Allows you to chat while you're watching a movie I guess.

However I've heard that you can make your video files have like animated thumbnails... how do I turn this on if it exists.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 08:58 PM #3547 of 3592
That feature's been around for a while now. You gotta have the video on then you press triangle and select "Change Icon" and where you have it set up , it will be that way for 15 seconds only.

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:23 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2007, 09:23 PM #3548 of 3592
Dang...I went out to Circuit City and bought the official Sony Playstation S-Video cord, and it didn't do jack . I thought that maybe it was getting electronic interference from the power outlet or something, so I waited for my roomate to arrive and have him hook up his Game Cube. He booted it up and it looked perfctly fine...

I wonder what the hell is wrong? It's hard to decribe what I'm seeing. They are faint wavy black lines that are constantly moving across the screen from left to right. Is anybody else having this problem with an SD tv?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:54 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2007, 11:54 PM #3549 of 3592
In far more positive news, an article from IGN has the list of playable PS3 games at this year's TGS, among them are the new LocoRoco screensaver and, more importantly, White Knight Story! Finally, a progress report.

Other notables include Devil May Cry 4, Echochrome, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Ratchet and Clank Future, Time Crisis 4 and Assassin's Creed.

Should be a hell of a show. I'll be heading off to Las Vegas for a vendor show conference and I'll hopefully get the chance to play some of those games as well.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:04 AM Local time: Sep 5, 2007, 10:04 AM #3550 of 3592
...okay? The EE chip costs about 30 dollars, which means that if Sony had used software emulation right from the start, at this point they would have saved more than a hundred million dollars from that. Throughout the whole lifetime of the PS3, it could save them as much as a billion dollars. It's not exactly small change.

Originally Posted by Qwarky
It sure as hell didn't make the damn thing any cheaper here, that's for sure.
Sony was already losing hundreds of dollars from each unit sold, what a surprise that a price-cut was not the first thing on their minds after reducing the losses a little.

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread