Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Computer Freezes/BSOD woes

KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:42 PM #1 of 17
Computer Freezes/BSOD woes

Lately my computer has been having a problem wherein it will completely randomly choose to completely freeze up and reset. I'll be doing anything, even if it isn't system intensive, and things will lock up for about 2 seconds before I'm then shown a Blue Screen of Death for about 3 seconds or so, and the whole system restarts. This started happening a few days ago, before this it was working great for about 2 weeks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../DCOMError.jpg
I went to the Event Viewer, and I see that every time my system restarts, the problem appears to have been "DCOM". I honestly have no idea what that is though or what the description is trying to tell me.

A bit of background info, when this first happened I thought it was spyware of some sort. So I ran Ad-Aware and Spybot and they both came up with a few entries, including a keylogger which all got on my system somehow. I then ran AVG AntiVirus and it found a virus that I cant remember the name of. I researched that virus and found its symptoms are random resets and such. I though I was hunkie dorie when I removed every offense from all 3 programs, but the problem still persists. In the event viewer I also noticed that SideBySide adware. I've removed it also including all pertaining registry values.

My specs:
Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon X2 4200
Nvidia Geforece 7900 GT
2 GB Corsair XMS RAM
Antec Smart Power 500W PSU

With those specs I don't believe my problem is hardware related.

How ya doing, buddy?
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 04:03 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 05:03 AM #2 of 17
Do you happen to have a Creative Labs sound card, I read a few reports of a background program trying to establish a connection. It is recommended to be disabled.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 06:58 AM #3 of 17
Actually yes, I have an Audigy 2 ZS. If I disable the background apps will my sound still work fine though?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:57 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 03:57 PM #4 of 17
I never understood how any soundcard would require you to have applications running in the background (well, apart from the driver). It's probably one of the reasons the Creative software sucks so hard.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:19 AM #5 of 17
Well I would assume stuff like CTHELPER.exe and such are like my volume control panel, sound settings and balance, etc. Basically the little tray icon, so it's kinda conveniant having.

Either way, I don't think my sound card would be the reason why I'm BSOD'ing.

I was speaking idiomatically.
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 01:10 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 02:10 PM #6 of 17
Problem seems to be solved at a forum below...

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread22386-1.html

If not then it's a good place to start.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 01:12 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2006, 07:12 PM #7 of 17
Turn off the automatic reboot on BSOD and write down the BSOD message. Then post it here.

How ya doing, buddy?
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2006, 08:52 PM #8 of 17
90% of the time I get this BSOD

Quote:
STOP 0X0000008E
win32k.sys
But, the problem just occured, upon rebooting into windows, it immediately went down this time, which is rare, and gave me this BSOD

Quote:
Windows thinks theres a problem with the file tcpip.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
STOP 0X00000050

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 05:38 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 11:38 AM #9 of 17
Seems to me like a driver problem or maybe also memory corruption. Tried scanning the memory with memtest86 yet?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 08:14 AM #10 of 17
No I haven't. Is there a version of memtest that will work withought booting into windows? Apparently it was either my graphics driver or card itself according to Microsoft. For kicks and grins I reported the error to Microsoft and it actually gave me a seemingly useful response talking about my graphics and driver. I figured I would just reinstall with the latest drivers then, but upon resetting after uninstalling the old drivers, Windows decided to not even boot up anymore. I tried eventually reinstalling Windows with 3 different variations of the Proffesional version I had laying around but for whatever reason none of them had a complete and working setup proccess, even though they did a month or so ago.

While I wait for that memtest or whatever, Im downloading a new copy of XP Pro on another computer.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:54 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 04:54 PM #11 of 17
Originally Posted by KrazyTaco
No I haven't. Is there a version of memtest that will work withought booting into windows?
Indeed there is no version of memtest86 that will work under any operating system. Just use a Knoppix disc or a gentoo minimal install disc. The bootloader allows to select the memtest86 os.

Apparently it was either my graphics driver or card itself according to Microsoft.
I don't see any connections from the drivers causing the BSOD and the graphics subsystem. tcpip.sys is part of the network system and win32k.sys is generic.

For kicks and grins I reported the error to Microsoft and it actually gave me a seemingly useful response talking about my graphics and driver. I figured I would just reinstall with the latest drivers then, but upon resetting after uninstalling the old drivers, Windows decided to not even boot up anymore.
You did a bootup with protocol creation?

I tried eventually reinstalling Windows with 3 different variations of the Proffesional version I had laying around but for whatever reason none of them had a complete and working setup proccess, even though they did a month or so ago.

While I wait for that memtest or whatever, Im downloading a new copy of XP Pro on another computer.
You know that you're wasting your time installing software over and over again if the problem is faulty hardware? Check the memory, check the cpu (with something like prime95), the harddrive (using the tool of you choice or the tool you hd vendor provides) and the gfx card.
You say you've another computer, then you can check the components there. memory and hd can be tested without installing an os, so do this first. I know its really frustrating, but its even more frustrating if you install everything again and again and the system fucks up your installation after some hours.

cya
liquid

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 07:54 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2006, 08:54 PM #12 of 17
It does sound like a memory problem. What I would've done just for some sense of security would have been to update the drivers on my network card. Afterwards if the problem does continue then run memtest86+. You can put it on a flashdisk or floppy and boot it from there. I don't know how many hours equals a successful test but I left mine overnight for a good 10 hours.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2006, 09:49 PM #13 of 17
Just a small update, I'm running memtest now from a bootable cd. The first time I ran a full test once, and it found something like 5000 errors. I then singled out my two modules, and told it to run only the test it previously found problems on (number 4) and there were no errors for either stick. Im running another full test now with both sticks... but it seemsjust a bit crazy that they're broken one moment and not the next.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 03:37 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 10:37 AM #14 of 17
That's not crazy. It's the usual behaviour of faulty RAM sticks.

You could still try to adjust your memory timings to avoid the problems. I've had my computer randomly reboot on me until I upped the memory vCore from 2.6 to 2.8 Volts, for example. Many modules are sensitive to this and seem to operate more reliable with a slightly increased vCore and relaxed timings, so try experimenting with these BIOS settings before you decide to return the RAM.

Most amazing jew boots
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 06:24 AM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 07:24 AM #15 of 17
Just a small update, I'm running memtest now from a bootable cd. The first time I ran a full test once, and it found something like 5000 errors. I then singled out my two modules, and told it to run only the test it previously found problems on (number 4) and there were no errors for either stick. Im running another full test now with both sticks... but it seemsjust a bit crazy that they're broken one moment and not the next.
I had a few issues with my OCZ Platinum 2X1GB sticks and no errors were found until the 6th hour of running the test. Turned out to be a bad batch and RMA'ed it to newegg in exchange for a more friendly batch of Corsair XMS memory.

FELIPE NO
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:32 AM #16 of 17
I ran the test for about 2 hours and it once again found a problem finally on the 2nd pass, this time on Test 8 >_> So because I just don't like overclocking, since I came close to messing up my old proccessor upon trying and because I don't want to void an warranties, I submitted and RMA request for my Corsair XMS

(Yay lifetime warranties)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by KrazyTaco; Jul 22, 2006 at 11:56 AM.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:01 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2006, 06:01 PM #17 of 17
I just wanted you to know that memory support on AMD processors has always be a slight problem after they integrated the memory controller directly into the CPU. The RAM I bought at first was high quality TwinMOS, two modules for dual channel support. I wasn't able to get them to run in dual channel, they even didn't work when dual channel was of. Only after reducing the pseudo-FSB (which didn't really exist at this time anymore) to half of the specified value and only using one of the modules the system worked. The integrated memory controller has always been quite picky when it comes to RAM. I know the situation has improved, but maybe you problem is general incompatibility between the RAM modules and the cpu's mem-controller.
If the Corsair modules are still in your reach you could try testing them on another board.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Computer Freezes/BSOD woes