Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Fruit or Vegetable?
Vegetable 11 27.50%
Fruit 29 72.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

TOMATOES: Fruit or Vegetable?

Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 04:07 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 02:07 PM #1 of 52
Exclamation TOMATOES: Fruit or Vegetable?

So, the US Supreme Court decided that tomatoes were in fact a vegetable (because they have nothing better to do, right?), though technically it should be classified as a fruit...

My roommate says it's a vegetable because it's not sweet and all fruit is either sweet or sour but I argue with her saying it's a fruit (though I still think it's a vegetable) because it's got seeds and grows like a berry would.

What do you think?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Divest; Dec 2, 2007 at 04:10 PM.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:08 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 07:08 PM #2 of 52
I would say it's a fruit. To me tomatoes have a sweetness to them, especially cherry tomatoes. Their having seeds and all is also a good reason though some vegetables (say cucumbers) also have seeds in them, so it doesn't necessarily make it a fruit.

The only thing I can say that would make me not classify it as a fruit is the fact that we usually cook it with other vegetables, but that doesn't have anything to do with its nature.

However, I haven't seen the reasons they used to classify it as such and am not an expert in florae, so this is just an opinion.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Juggle dammit
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:14 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 04:14 PM 1 #3 of 52
If your roommate thinks tomatoes aren't sweet they've been eating shitty tomatoes for their entire life.

Scientifically speaking tomatoes are fruit, and so are cucumbers, for that matter.

Additionally, do you have a link to this? Why are the courts wasting their time on something like that, first of all, and second of all who do they think they are to ignore the entire system of classification that botany uses to classify plants?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Little Brenty Brent Brent; Dec 2, 2007 at 06:19 PM.
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:28 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 04:28 PM #4 of 52
Additionally, do you have a link to this? Why are the courts wasting their time on something like that, first of all, and second of all who do they think they are to ignore the entire system of classification that botany uses to classify plants?
Link.

Most amazing jew boots
Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 06:39 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 05:39 PM #5 of 52
Biologically, tomatoes are a fruit, but for the most part in cooking, it is used like a vegetable.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:06 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 08:06 PM #6 of 52
Scientifically speaking tomatoes are fruit, and so are cucumbers, for that matter.
It so happens that cucumbers are botanically speaking fruits, but that they are reffered to as vegetables when it comes to the culinary arts, as tomatoes sometimes are. As the term vegetable is not a botanical term, there is no problem in calling them both fruit and vegetable.

Cf. this article.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Juggle dammit

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:20 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 05:20 PM #7 of 52
That's a bit like calling whales fish. It's wrong, and it's dumb.

FELIPE NO
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:25 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 08:25 PM #8 of 52
That's a bit like calling whales fish. It's wrong, and it's dumb.
I'd say it's more along the lines of calling whales sea-dwelling creatures since all fruits can be classified as vegetables if we use the word vegetable in it's most general sense.

See here.

Edit:

It also makes sense when speaking about the nutritional values of certain foods.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Juggle dammit

Last edited by i am good at jokes; Dec 2, 2007 at 07:28 PM.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:46 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 05:46 PM #9 of 52
That can't apply here because it's a question of calling them a fruit or a vegetable. If you were using the most general sense of the word vegetable (describing everything in the entire plant kingdom) then its status as a "vegetable" is already confirmed, and it would be both a fruit and. In that case, why even bother to ask the question?

Is a puppy a dog or is it a mammal?

Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:50 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 06:50 PM #10 of 52
It's vegetable. Why? Because in my mind, anything that isn't a grape and doesn't grow on trees is a vegetable. I don't care what technicalities you throw at me. Can I easily eat it and enjoy the taste all by itself? No? I have to either put it on a sandwich or make it into a paste? Then it's a vegetable.

i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:50 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 08:50 PM #11 of 52
Quote:
That can't apply here because it's a question of calling them a fruit or a vegetable. If you were using the most general sense of the word (describing everything in the entire plant kingdom) then its status as a "vegetable" is already confirmed. In that case, why even bother to ask the question?

Is a puppy a dog or is it a mammal?
Well then, instead of calling a carrot a vegetable, start calling it a root. And instead of calling an onion a vegetable, start calling it a bulb. And calling brocolli a flower. And so on.

Of course, that complicates things, but that seems to be the way you want it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Juggle dammit

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 07:52 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 05:52 PM #12 of 52
It's vegetable. Why? Because in my mind, anything that isn't a grape and doesn't grow on trees is a vegetable. I don't care what technicalities you throw at me. Can I easily eat it and enjoy the taste all by itself? No? I have to either put it on a sandwich or make it into a paste? Then it's a vegetable.
I like lots of so-called vegetables by themselves. =(

Well then, instead of calling a carrot a vegetable, start calling it a root. And instead of calling an onion a vegetable, start calling it a bulb. And calling brocolli a flower. And so on.

Of course, that complicates things, but that seems to be the way you want it.
The way I want it is for the US supreme court to stop, for whatever reason, arbitrarily deciding what are fruits and what are vegetables. I didn't bother to read since all Divest linked was a stupid wiki entry, but I can't imagine what reason they would have for even making such a ridiculous ruling.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Little Brenty Brent Brent; Dec 2, 2007 at 07:57 PM.
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 08:54 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 06:54 PM #13 of 52
It had something to do with taxing it as a fruit or a vegetable, or something.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Divest; Dec 2, 2007 at 08:57 PM.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Dec 2, 2007, 09:03 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 10:03 PM #14 of 52
@ Diss: here's the specific part of it that refers to this:

Quote:
This argument has had legal implications in the United States. In 1887, U.S. tariff laws that imposed a duty on vegetables but not on fruits caused the tomato's status to become a matter of legal importance. The U.S. Supreme Court settled the controversy in 1893 by declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, based on the popular definition that classifies vegetables by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert (Nix v. Hedden (149 U.S. 304)). The holding of the case applies only to the interpretation of the Tariff Act of March 3, 1883, and the court did not purport to reclassify the tomato for botanical or other purposes other than paying a tax under a tariff act.
BTW, all I was trying to say is that it makes sense when we use the term vegetable for certain fruits because of the way we use them in meals. Classification as a vegetable for botanical or "scientific" purposes is useless since all plants and all parts of plants can be referred to for this purpose as vegetables.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Juggle dammit

Last edited by i am good at jokes; Dec 2, 2007 at 09:06 PM.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 09:07 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 07:07 PM #15 of 52
Yeah, I get that. I just thought the whole concept of the court ruling was a bit ridiculous, but that was before reading that. The way that Divest mentioned it in his original post made me think that it was a recent development, not something that happened over a century ago.

FELIPE NO
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:18 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 11:48 PM #16 of 52
For the longest time I've always seen tomatoes as a vegetable. I can definetely agree with the fact that it is more of a fruit than a vegetable.

I think tomatoes will always be considered a vegetable to the general public.

I remember watching an episode of Dragon's Den, its a really great show here in canada if nobody has ever seen it before. One of the products they tried to get people to invest their money with was a type of tomato jam. It was even endorsed by the prime minister of canada's top chef.

They tried to market the idea of tomato being a fruit and a lot of the investors said that the jam was actually fairly good and actually very sweet. They decided to not invest their money into it because they felt like that they would have to put in money to re-educate everybody that a tomato is an actual fruit and not a vegetable in which most people were comfortable with.

They didn't invest to their business after all but they still admitted it was a very tasty product. Even though in botanical terms the tomato is more like a fruit than a vegetable, but I'm still in that mind frame that when I look at a tomato I will always see it as more of vegetable.

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:05 AM Local time: Dec 2, 2007, 11:05 PM #17 of 52
It is definitely a fruit, but I sometimes think of it as a vegetable due to societal programming.

Either way, I think they taste wretched, so it is a moot point for me.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2007, 01:18 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2007, 12:18 AM #18 of 52
I don't know exactly how it works, but i've heard fruit is defined by the location of the seeds within the food itself. Tomatoes are classified as a fruit because the seeds are arranged in a formation spreading outwards from the core of the object, similar to apples and pears. I've also been told that a fruit is classified by the seeds being located inside the outer most membrane of the object.

I could be wrong on this, but that's a shakey account of what i've been told.

I've always been a big fan of the old saying, "Knowledge is knowing that Tomatoes are fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put them in a fruit salad."

Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2007, 02:03 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2007, 12:03 AM #19 of 52
Tomatoes taste fine as they are and are sweet enough to be eaten like a fruit when vine-ripened in the right season. I prefer sticking to the notion that they are biologically and botanically, a fruit.

However from their culinary uses, I will stick them in the "vegetables" section on my shopping list when I go out for groceries, since they mainly go in main/side dishes of the meal.

I'm a more literal person though, I'll stick them in the "edibles" portion of the grand scale of things and leave them at that. I'm not too picky about food so long it tastes good. And to me, a well-grown tomato is just as good as any other fruit/vegetable out there.

Most amazing jew boots
Ozma
Here's Johnny!!!

Member 10311

Level 25.67

Jul 2006

Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:10 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2007, 09:10 PM #20 of 52
Well, basically, it's a fruit, as something produced by a plant to bear their seeds. Biological and botanical terms claim it so.

But if the term of fruit means something eaten as a dessert (like apples, pears, peaches), then tomatoes are included into vegetables (since they are cooked as vegetables and USUALLY produce non-sweet cuisine). Confusing heh?

You may ask the same question for RHUBARBS.

ADDITIONAL SPAM: Why do threads about tomatoes mushroom rapidly?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
LordsSword
Banned

Member 18063

Level 13.72

Jan 2007

Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:32 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2007, 09:32 AM #21 of 52
Me & a friend argued about this for a long time.

As a cook, I treat it as a veggie. I don't make tomato smoothies & I never made a tomato pie. Sauces & soups are done most often with veggies and the tomato is treated like a veggie in food prep.

Most amazing jew boots
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:45 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2007, 05:45 PM 2 #22 of 52
How you cook it has no bearing on how it's classified, a tomato is a fruit and that's that. Anyway, don't you people ever have savoury apple sauce or red onion jam or chilled fruit soup? The days of vegatables=savoury, fruit=sweet are long, long dead in the world outside the canned goods aisle. Wake up and smell the 21st century.

Addendum: What's the quickest way to turn a fruit into a vegatable?

AIDS.

How ya doing, buddy?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:27 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2007, 05:27 PM #23 of 52
It's a savory fruit. Nothing more, nothing less. I'd never even known this was an issue.

FELIPE NO
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:17 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2007, 07:17 PM 2 #24 of 52
It's vegetable. Why? Because in my mind, anything that isn't a grape and doesn't grow on trees is a vegetable. I don't care what technicalities you throw at me.
"Strawberry".

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:05 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2007, 09:05 PM 1 #25 of 52
Don't throw those technicalities at him!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > TOMATOES: Fruit or Vegetable?