Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 05:58 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 07:58 PM #576 of 608
Originally Posted by Servilonus
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149982

It seems Gans is about to do Onimusha as well.

There's no need for me to really restate what everyone has said about each meticulous flaw and merit the movie had. I thought it was an awesome movie, at the very least visually. If anything, I felt it suffered the most with pacing issues, and Avary's script. If there is or isn't a longer director's cut, that could resolve some pacing issues (as I heard a rumor [also on IGN] that the orginal cut was 3 and a half hours). Most of the reviews that cited the length of the movie as a con were irritating, as I don't really see most phenomenal movies falling underneath two hours. And if the average is ninety minutes, then it's only a half hour more to, at the very least, soak up more astounding visuals. Gans directed excellently in my view.

Needed more monsters, etc, copypasta.

On a slight tangent, on the way home, my friend's brother's girlfriend called him, and he said he'd take her to see it if she didn't mind gory movies. She said, she didn't, and that the only movie she couldn't watch was the fly, to which I replied "It's probably because of Jeff Goldblum" ::everybody laughs::

My friend told me as well that Gans favored SH2 the most, and I'd like to think he made this one as almost a test run for the visuals for 2, and to explain, or at least infer, a bit about the town. I would also prefer for Gans to personally write the script, and have someone else edit it.

If you had to cast the characters for a SH2 movie (assuming it was disconnected), who would you cast? Ever since I saw Saw, I thought Cary Elwes looked and sounded just like James (I imagined him calling out to Mary as I saw it), and Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Eddie.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Gans said many times in interviews that everything that he wanted was in the movie; this was his Director's Cut. Also, he said he loved the second but probably won't used it for the sequel.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:00 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 02:00 PM #577 of 608
Semper
Yeah, the nurses movement was crap how they vibrated like that... But when they actually started doing something, that was pretty sweet.

Message? When do horror movies have messages?

Concerning your sig... is that something a specific unit of US marines say, or did you just make it up? I'm not so fond of it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:05 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 02:05 AM #578 of 608
I hate that stupid Marine Corps bullshit...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:09 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 09:09 PM #579 of 608
Gans plans to do Onimusha, eh? If he gets Takeshi Kaneshiro to be Samanosuke again, it could be interesting.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:15 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 02:15 AM #580 of 608
Didn't Kaneshiro sucked as an actor? He was horrible in RETURNER (Along with pretty much everything in it); wasn't he a Soap-Opera actor in Japan?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:00 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 10:00 PM #581 of 608
Was that him in Returner? He did a pretty bad job, but I felt the female lead was even worse. The movie had some nice fight scenes though. Not great, but interesting.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:42 AM #582 of 608
Originally Posted by avanent
Message? When do horror movies have messages?
Horror movies always have messages, ESPECIALLY Romero zombie movies and the like. In fact, in my opinion, horror movies usually have the clearest points in any genre of films.

Originally Posted by Devo
Get recruited already.
Seconded.

Most amazing jew boots
reflectiVe
R.I.P., J. Dilla. (Jay Dee)

Member 5717

Level 7.21

Apr 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:43 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 11:43 PM #583 of 608
Originally Posted by SemperFidelis
At retrospect and since you guys mention it, I was easily the rudest motherfucker ever. I had too high expectations of the movie. I expected believable acting, a coherent plot, and the kind of fear and anxiety one feels while turning into a dark and ominious corner of the Silent Hill games. The movie failed to deliver on all parts, as the monsters were more humorous then frightening, the dialogue inexcusably bad and therefore hilarious, and it loved detracting from moments where I was just about gaining interested by switching to the scenes with the husband. The husband scenes were necessary, but they could have been placed better in the film. Also, were the gyrating nurses really necessary? Was that really meant to frighten anyone? Was that a joke? Because I definitely interpreted it that way. Big-breasted, undead nurses with short skirts that starts moving when a light is shone and freezes when the light is turned off is NOT SCARY. A dead fucker named Colin with outstanding abilities in postmortem yoga is NOT SCARY. There were too many random elements mashed together and it left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. The movie was basically a message against religious fanaticism fortified by the use of sadistic torture fueled by personal vengeance. What the fuck is that? So yes, hate me, I laughed throughout the entire film while everyone else was quiet and "scared".
Well, I can say this movie was coherent in many parts, but the whole "Silent Hill" franchise was never actually supposed to be easy to catch on to, was it? Of course you'll get the plot, but there are plenty side details to help support the story. In the end I must agree with everyone else when they say this: "Get recruited already."

FELIPE NO

This is message is dedicated to real Hip-hop
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:48 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 03:48 AM #584 of 608
Originally Posted by Devo
Get recruited already.

I concur.

Skëtch's DVD Collection!
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:05 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 11:05 PM #585 of 608
At retrospect and since you guys mention it, I was easily the rudest motherfucker ever. I had too high expectations of the movie. I expected believable acting, a coherent plot, and the kind of fear and anxiety one feels while turning into a dark and ominious corner of the Silent Hill games. The movie failed to deliver on all parts, as the monsters were more humorous then frightening, the dialogue inexcusably bad and therefore hilarious, and it loved detracting from moments where I was just about gaining interested by switching to the scenes with the husband. The husband scenes were necessary, but they could have been placed better in the film. Also, were the gyrating nurses really necessary? Was that really meant to frighten anyone? Was that a joke? Because I definitely interpreted it that way. Big-breasted, undead nurses with short skirts that starts moving when a light is shone and freezes when the light is turned off is NOT SCARY. A dead fucker named Colin with outstanding abilities in postmortem yoga is NOT SCARY. There were too many random elements mashed together and it left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. The movie was basically a message against religious fanaticism fortified by the use of sadistic torture fueled by personal vengeance. What the fuck is that? So yes, hate me, I laughed throughout the entire film while everyone else was quiet and "scared".
Originally Posted by Club YOU SUCK
Get recruited.
Looks like your invitation got accepted! Enjoy your AIDS.

What exactly do you consider scary, though? It's different for everybody, but keep in mind that this is a Silent Hill film adaptation. Most of the "frights" are inspired by the games themselves. Have you even bothered to pick one up and play it?

If you want a movie where a guy slashes people to death (omgawd scary), then this clearly wasn't the movie for you.

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:16 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 11:16 PM #586 of 608
That's fine. In all seriousness, I understand your points, I'm not going to argue with you about what you thought about the film.

Just shut your goddamned mouth during the movie out of respect for the public audience. Jesus Christ, this is common courtesy, common sense, and should be obvious.

Fucking Fifthted.

Most amazing jew boots

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Robo Jesus
Your Mechanical Messiah

Member 1543

Level 15.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:24 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 12:24 AM #587 of 608
Common sense isn't as common as you'd think it would be.

"You can't win, Pilate. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."-Jesus
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 04:29 AM #588 of 608
They'll probably just get a Chinese actor to play Samanosuke.

Then Japan will be outraged, as usual.

::noonecares::

SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:50 AM #589 of 608
It doesn't matter I only played the first Silent Hill, that's not the point. I still remember the fun and scary elements of the game that the movie did not have. I'm sure there are people that never played a Silent Hill game that found it good.

Quote:
Seriously your opinion on the matter is laughable at best
I found the substandard shit funny. I went to the movie for a good scare, instead I got a good comedy so I still had my fun. Your opinion that my opinion sucks is too unimportant to be worth considering.

Quote:
common sense, and should be obvious.
If you find it funny, it's common sense and it's obvious that you'll start laughing. If any fucker tried to deny me my privilege to have fun at the movies that day, I would have caved his/her face in.

Yeah, and for once, leave the Marines out of this, but then you can't really do anything else, can you? Carry on.

"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:30 AM #590 of 608
I still remember the fun and scary elements of the game that the movie did not have.
Yeah like load times! And badly pixilated characters!

I found the substandard shit funny. I went to the movie for a good scare, instead I got a good comedy so I still had my fun.
I went here to post how much of a fag you are but caught you sucking cock in a closet, so you're not able to talk and I don't have to listen to your asinine bullshit.

Your opinion that my opinion sucks is too unimportant to be worth considering.
Your inability to form a cohesive thought outside of being a fucking asshole for your own fucking asshole ego invalidates anything you have ever or will ever say.

If the toilet were only a little larger, I'd flush you down it like so many urban legend alligators.

If any fucker tried to deny me my privilege to have fun at the movies that day, I would have caved his/her face in.
The great thing about Marine mentality is this - anyone who's a Marine acts with the utmost respect for himself and others. People who want to be Marines act like they're some tough guy who could beat up Bruce Lee.

You're not even a ground-pounder, bitch. Stow the fake manly attitude and go back to being a limberdicked wetnurse.

Yeah, and for once, leave the Marines out of this, but then you can't really do anything else, can you? Carry on.
It should stand to reason that the reason we ride you like a bitch in heat abou the whole Marines thing is because it's hysterical to us, not unlike your rude ass turn in the theater while watching the movie.

I've never met a Marine who was a stupid bitch but you ARE a stupid bitch, so you ain't no Marine, son.

How ya doing, buddy?
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:49 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 10:49 AM #591 of 608
I saw the movie twice now, both times with people that had no clue that this movie was based off of a game. Each time and pretty much the whole movie

"I am confused as hell"
"Explain to me whats going on"
"What the fuck!?"

Not until the big explination did these questions stop, but these people enjoyed the movie for what it was, and also enjoyed the ending also. I guess they like endings where you have to think of what happened to yourself (or until they make another movie) but each of us had fun watching it, even myself after the second time.

There is only one thing they made a lot more rediculous than in the games, and that is the nurses. That part was just lame, because of how they moved around. In the game they were fucked up, in the movie, it just looked like a big stop and go dance.

Either way, 2/2 times I enjoyed the movie.

FELIPE NO
xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 06:37 PM #592 of 608
I just came back from watching the movie for the 2nd time. Now that I think about it, the ending does actually make some sense. This is my brief ending analysis:

Spoiler:
In the scene where Rose discovers the truth, the 'Reaper' talks about how the dream has to end and I think she makes a deal with Alessa. I'm guessing Alessa was going to die and the Reaper was going to help her get her revenge. Since Sharon is a manifestation of Alessa, she can only exist if Alessa is alive. Alessa probably died after she annihilates everyone in the chapel with the barbed wires so Sharon dies with her.

I think it's pretty evident in the movie that Rose wants to be with Sharon over her husband. She keeps saying "For Sharon" and leaves for SH without telling Chris or hearing him say he loves her. Since Sharon dies with Alessa, she can only live on in the 'otherworld' and Rose chooses to stay with her, which is why she never makes it back to the real world where Chris is.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:09 PM #593 of 608
Originally Posted by xSummonerYUnax
I just came back from watching the movie for the 2nd time. Now that I think about it, the ending does actually make some sense. This is my brief ending analysis:

Spoiler:
In the scene where Rose discovers the truth, the 'Reaper' talks about how the dream has to end and I think she makes a deal with Alessa. I'm guessing Alessa was going to die and the Reaper was going to help her get her revenge. Since Sharon is a manifestation of Alessa, she can only exist if Alessa is alive. Alessa probably died after she annihilates everyone in the chapel with the barbed wires so Sharon dies with her.

I think it's pretty evident in the movie that Rose wants to be with Sharon over her husband. She keeps saying "For Sharon" and leaves for SH without telling Chris or hearing him say he loves her. Since Sharon dies with Alessa, she can only live on in the 'otherworld' and Rose chooses to stay with her, which is why she never makes it back to the real world where Chris is.
Spoiler:
Was Sharon supposed to be a manifestation of Alessa? I saw at it as the slightly less mystical view that it was a baby as a result of being raped by the janitor. Actually having a baby because of that, let alone it coming to term after the mother is nearly torched to death is practically as impossible as seperating out a second body, but it seemed to fit better having Sharon as a symbol for Alessa's lost innocence rather than just being a physical form of goodness.

I figured the reason they stayed trapped inside of Silent Hill hell even after they left town was because Sharon met eyes with the "Demon" after Rose told her not to look, and so it took residence within her now that Alessa was gone.

I just got back from watching the movie for the first time, and I thought it was pretty good. I really didn't think the end was that bad, and instead thought the very beginning was pretty cheesy. Lots of stupid lines, and it made no sense at all for Rose to speed away from Cybil when she was pulled over.

There was one scene that almost made me laugh though:
Spoiler:
The nurses were just hilarious. They got the look perfect, but when they moved it looked more like a Gap commercial than anything. I half expected two nurses to cartwheel in front of the camera and then attempt to sell Rose a pair of relaxed-fit khakis.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:38 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 11:38 AM #594 of 608
ya... nurse scene would be much better without the vibration movement.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3

Last edited by avanent; Apr 30, 2006 at 12:03 PM.
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 02:36 AM #595 of 608
Originally Posted by Living Legend
There is only one thing they made a lot more rediculous than in the games, and that is the nurses. That part was just lame, because of how they moved around. In the game they were fucked up, in the movie, it just looked like a big stop and go dance.
Oh god. During that part the time I watched this with my brother he turned to me and whispered: "Cause This Is Thrilllerrrr, Thrillerrrr Night!!" I fucking lol'ed. Good thing it was a wednesday night and we were practically the only ones in the theatre.

[/RIGHT]
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 01:26 PM #596 of 608
well I don't know for you, but they did move like that in the game (well in the movie they exagerated the movement) Like the patient demon they were really well recreated in the movie, the only thing is that the nurse doesn't come in pack like they were (maybe that was the mistake) but I did really enjoy that scene becase remember one time that, I think i's in sh3 that they have guns, one nurse shot another nurse in the back that was trying to hit me XD so maybe that why a did like that scene XD

werepandamike
Chocohobo

Member 4106

Level 4.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 09:50 PM #597 of 608
I really liked the movie. I thought it had great atmosphere, and the special effects were gorgeous. Thay actually used make-up and puppets instead of low-quality CG crap! It looked way more realistic than most of the horror/monster movies that have come out lately. Also, the soundtrack was amazing.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie