Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:12 PM #1 of 608
Silent Hill movie

official site: http://www.welcometosilenthill.com/

trailers: http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=9348

Movie based on the game.

here's a set visit from Comingsoon.net

Quote:
On July 18, 2005, ComingSoon.net had the opportunity to pay the cast and crew of Silent Hill a visit on set in Toronto, Ontario. The city was hotter than Georgia asphalt, but the heat did nothing to diminish the spirits of producer Samuel Hadida (The Rules of Attraction) and director Christophe Gans (Brotherhood of the Wolf). In fact, it seemed nothing could bring them down. The funny thing is that Hadida and Gans genuinely seem excited about the film they are making… something you don't see too much these days.

Gans is a hopelessly addicted gamer, and knows what it is like to see a crappy movie get made on the back of a great video game, and he was hell-bent to make sure that "Silent Hill" gets treated as a self-supported majestically dark film that holds true to the game's aesthetics and not go the way of dismal-beyond-imagination catastrophe that was Super Mario Bros. Judging by the set they were filming in that scorching day, there is little doubt that they achieved their goals.

The set ComingSoon.net was privileged enough to view was possibly the creepiest hospital ever designed. In fact, it looks as though instead of being a place created for caring for and healing the sick, this hospital looks as if it were used solely as a fecal matter storage facility for the last one hundred years. That by no means is to suggest that the set design looks crappy, because it was clearly a very well thought, but you don't want to tough the walls. From experience acquired from years of working as an art director in the film industry, this writer can assure you that's a pretty hard thing to achieve and it shows just how skilled Silent Hill's production designer Carol Spier (Mimic, Blade II, eXistenZ) truly is. What's more, the overall production design is reminiscent of a Rothko painting. Throughout the story, the sets --which this hospital is somewhere around the second act-- get darker and more decrepit from scene to scene as the characters go deeper into the darkness.

What could have come off as campy truly does look frightening, and in a time where suspense and horror are tag lines used to justify poorly crafted splatter flick remakes targeted at teenagers who wouldn't know sh*t from good chocolate, Silent Hill looks like it may have the vision and clarity that created films like The Changeling or The Shining.

Of course, that's a hefty thing to say when one considers that the statement is made after only a few hours of talking to the cast and crew and seeing one especially creepy scene develop. But really, faceless nurses clad in skin tight vinyl costumes slinking around in the dark as if they were marionettes being guided by a puppeteer above the set is one hell of a disturbing visual.

"Christophe has a really interesting take on the concept of the video game. And you do have a sense of what it must feel like to be stuck in this chase," says Radha Mitchell (Phone Booth), who plays Rose, a distraught mother looking for her daughter who is lost in the darkness that is Silent Hill. "Since we've been making the film, we see the vision and the script come alive. It's a very visual piece so when [reading the script] you won't necessarily understand what it is but every day has just been an assault on the senses."

One of the things that a lot of modern horror films lack is suspense. It's all about establishing characters as briefly as you can and then putting them in situations that will make you either jump or groan. Gans' idea for Silent Hill is to slowly take you down into the darkness. With each passing minute, Silent Hill is intended to make you feel like the situation is going from truly bad to incredibly hopeless. All the while he is keeping a strong focus on character's appearances and motivations to insure that they are not unlike those in the game.

"Cybil is a woman who grew up in a small town outside of Silent Hill. She's a bit of a lone wolf, in the sense that her mom died when she was thirteen and there was never really a father around." Says Laurie Holden (The Majestic, The X-Files) of her character. "It was a very religious community, so I think that because [Cybil's] mother was such a woman of faith and she passed away in a really painful way, it really scarred [her]. And she's really kind of denounced any sort of religion just because of what happened. Because of that she's been a bit of an outsider, doesn't have a lot of friends. But that's okay for Cybil because she's found her calling and that is to serve and protect. And, really, she wants to save children. She wants to be kind of like the mother of saving the children."

Much to Holden's dismay, Gans' quest for accuracy also cost the actress a little bit more. "I had hair before this movie. They chopped it all off for Cybil."

Hair wasn't the only thing done to establish character traits from the video game though. Some characters, like Dahlia Gillespie played by Deborah Unger (The Game), are an equal mixture of special effects and artistic design geared to translate what you see in the game to the silver screen.

"Dahlia's been extraordinary. To Christophe's credit, he's really captured the essence of her and then extended her into the psychological nightmare that would capture the imaginations of the gaming fans. So it was a much deeper exploration than I anticipated." Says Unger, "With Dahlia it's been an extraordinary psychological journey for me, as an actor, to embrace this walker between worlds. And, as a mad and slightly cryptic prophet, akin to obviously the essence of the game, [she] has been just a delight to play."

As a stark contrast, the character of Chris Dasilva, played by Sean Bean ("The Lord of the Rings") is very much a real world character that is "sort of a successful businessman. They live in a nice house. Things seem to be going well, apart from the child. But he's a good guy, a regular sort of guy with bit of money, wears nice clothes and drives a BMW." For those not familiar with the game, this character is married to Mitchell's Rose character, and both of them are independently looking for their daughter.

"It has the nostalgia," Mitchell reflects, "their relationship does, as is in the game in that they're sort of separating in different dimensions. And they're kind of passing each other by often in the movie. They don't actually connect. So it's kind of, I guess, like the average relationship…"

A young Canadian actress named Jodelle Ferland, who according to Mitchell is amazing to work with, plays their daughter. "She has a sort of adult concentration and patience and yet, obviously, the charming innocence of a little girl. So it's been fun playing [her] mom."

Silent Hill does still follow in the footsteps of stories already told, but at least from the perspective of Holden, unlike the remakes we've seen over the last few years, this film seems to be going in a more interesting direction.

"I think of this more as a nightmare fairytale. It is elegant and I think of this as kind of a cross between 'Alice in Wonderland' meets 'Dante's Inferno'. It's very high art and frightening and violent and sexy and elegant all at the same time. Which I think is Christophe's genius."

Going to a traditional style of story telling does mean a lot of practical sets and people in monster costumes. But being a film of the 21st century, CGI will still play a part on how the terror of Silent Hill unfolds.

"A lot of the time we're reacting to things that are not necessarily in front of us and we've got to imagine them at the same time." Says Mitchell, "So we've constantly encouraged the first AD to make loud noises for us so we can all, you know... be scared."

It is impossible to say whether the film can deliver what Gans hopes it will, but considering its solid cast and Spier's production design, chances are good we're in for one heck of a dark suspenseful ride that will give its viewers the willies. As Mitchell herself put it, "Christophe has made sort of clear decisions to make sure it's not cheesy. So there's none of that kind of, you know, action movie kind of stuff we've seen in a lot of American films. There's no inside humor in the film, like winking at the audience. If you're into horror I would say this is the movie to watch because it's elegant horror. That's my understanding of it."

Silent Hill hits theaters on April 21. Click here to watch the trailer, view photos and learn more about the anticipated film
Begin discussion again of this movie. :P

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Mana Dragon
I'm Back, Where's My Steak?

Member 96

Level 11.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:18 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 03:18 PM #2 of 608
Well, from what I have seen and judged, I think this could turn out to be good, but I know that it could also not be so hot. I guess I will need to wait and see it. Being a die hard Silent Hill fan, I would want nothing more than a movie that lived up to the games standards, so I hope it won't dissappoint.

Come April 21st, I will see it most assuredly, and since it is based on the 1st game more than the others, I would like to see how it unfolds.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:25 PM #3 of 608
Some stuff that was posted during the downtime...

WonderCon Exclusive Footage Description:
Spoiler:
There is some dialogue between Rose and Dahlia Gillespie. Rose says she has seen Alessa and she asks why Alessa looks exactly like her own daughter Sharon. It was hard to hear the dialogue clearly as it wasn't loud enough and I was sitting toward the back of the room.

The entire time the air raid siren is going in the background and people are running up the steps. One of them (a younger woman) stops and shouts something at Dahlia (it was hard to hear) and then the ground and everything around them starts to turn black. Rose runs up the steps and she and Cybil start to enter the school. Dahlia points at the younger woman and as Rose and Cybil enter the school, Pyramid Head makes it to the top of the stairs. He grabs the young woman by the neck, holds her up in the air, with a single pull tears her clothes off. Then he grabs the skin of her chest and twists it and then rips the skin off of her entire body. As Rose and Cybil slam the school doors shut, he throws the skin at them and it splatters against the door, with blood seeping underneath it.

There was an effect where some of it splatters on the camera as it splats against the door.

EGM Interview with Christophe Gans and Akira Yamaoka:
Quote:
SILENT FILM

Konami’s Silent Hill fogs up the big screen

So you’ve be come understandable wary when it comes to big-screen adaptations of your favorite games. From Super Mario Bros. to Doom, nearly every motion picture inspired by our industry has royally stunk up the multiplex. (The continually fecal torrent of flicks like House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark by German director Uwe Boll certainly doesn’t help matters, either). But one upcoming game-to-film project actually shows promise- Sony Pictures’ Silent Hill (opening April 21). Shortly after an impressive trailer ignited positive buzz among the fan community, EGM sat down with director Christophe Gans (Brotherhood of the Wolf) and composer Akira Yamaoka (director of the Silent Hill games) to discuss their fog drenched horror flick
- Shane Bettenhausen

EGM: Did the stigma of working on a videogame-based film deter you?

Christophe Gans: Of course it w as challenging, but it was impossible for me to do Silent Hill and not be serious about it. It’s much easier to adapt Doom, even if it turns out to be a disaster- as we’ve seen (recently)- then to adapt Silent Hill. If you want to adapt Silent Hill, you must be ready to face all of the complexity of the story. For a lazy director, like the one who directed Doom, Silent Hill would be too big of a piece to swallow. I dreamed of adapting this game when I first started playing the first one six years ago. I prepared for this for years, knowing that every fan in the world would wait for me with an ax. I will be sniped when I go to buy my games at my favorite store if I do a bad job. And I understand that. I’m a fan of the games myself-I admire the work of Akira and his friends, and I feel like someone who joined the group and tried to transport that amazing piece of art into a different medium. I love the fandom, and I understand these people and how tense they get when they hear, “Your favorite game is going to be adapted by some French guy.” (Laughs)

EGM: It’s impressive that you actually tackled the mythology of the games rather than creating a simpler story…was that something you intended from the project’s outset?

CG: Yes. Although, when we first decided to do Silent Hill, we wanted to base it on the second game. It was very natural, since that game is the favorite of every fan, and it’s the one with the most beautiful world, and it’s the most emotional on of all four. Ever gamer who finished the game knows what I’m talking about…it’s a very tragic and romantic game, and it’s a beautiful adaptation of the myth of Orpheus- going to hell to bring back his love, Eurydice. It was not a real Silent Hill, though; the town serves as the background to the story, but it’s not really about the mythology. So, when we decided to do the film, we realized that it was impossible to talk about Silent Hill and not talk about why this town is like that. So we realized that we had to adapt the first one.

Of course, we were facing the fact that the characters that we love so much were designed for games, and not to be played by real actors. It became readily apparent when we began to write the script and had to deal with the (main) characters, Harry Mason. We realized after two weeks in the writing process that Harry was actually motivated by feminine, almost maternal feelings. It’s not that he’s effeminate, but he’s acting like a woman. So, if we wanted to keep the character, we would have to change other aspects of him…so to be true to the character, we changed Harry into Rose. Essentially, all the people who love Silent Hill are more interested in seeing the mood and atmosphere of the games rather then if a certain character is wearing pants or a dress.

Also when we decided to adapt the characters of Cybil and Dahlia, we found it difficult, mainly because they appear only sparsely in the game. When you have to create a narrative arc for these characters, you have to work really hard to make them work on the big screen. I didn’t want to do what they did with Resident Evil: Apocalypse when they put Jill Valentine onscreen. I mean, that’s a perfect example: I love Jill Valentine…in the game, but not onscreen. I mean, I’m sorry, but just dressing a girl like her doesn’t make her the character.

EGM: Did you feel a need to clearly explain the Silent Hill mythology to the audience?

CG: It’s a delicate balance, because in the game we are basically following one character, and this character is more or less finding little clues that tell a backstory. In a film, we can change the perspective when we want. We can show what Silent Hill was like before it became a ghost town. We can show precisely what Silent Hill is like in reality- we’ve never seen that before. In the game, there are two Silent Hills: the Silent Hill of darkness and the Silent Hill of fog. But when you have to tell a story about something that happened 30 years ago in a town, and that town suddenly became like the Bermuda Triangle, you have to add two more dimensions: the reality and Silent Hill from 30 years ago. So basically, we had to deal with four dimensions, and jump between them at will. It makes the concept very exciting; it’s very compelling to juggle the story between those different incarnations of the same place.

EGM: Akria, what do you think of the additions Christophe has made to Silent Hill world?

Akira Yamaoka: After seeing the film, I think that Christophe has really expressed the core elements of Silent Hill, and he’s really kept the themes alive in this new medium. Silent Hill is not just a horror game; there is human drama rotted very deeply in the story, and I feel that he expressed that very well with the visuals, sounds, and atmosphere in the film. By watching the film, I Fell that you’ll get a clearer and deeper understanding of the world of Silent Hill, more so than by simply playing the games.

EGM: Christophe, given your fandom, have you considered directing a game?

CG: Yes, I’d like to try that one day. Because as a director who is also a gamer, I think that there are two different ways to tell a story, and sometimes it can be like a dialogue between a film and a game. I’d like to think that, like, a 40-year-old woman might enjoy the film and than realize that it’s an adaptation of a video game. Now, I don’t expect her to play the game, but for her to realize that the games are important and that they deal with human emotions, not only carnage. Most of the people have a very caricatured vision of videogamers, and actually, gamers are very intelligent.

Games are a form of art. I realized that when I played through Silent Hill. Of course, I was a big fan of (Mario creator Shigeru) Miyamoto’s work, and I consider him a true artist. Playing through The Legend of Zelda, for example, was a beautiful, poetic moment for me. Playing through Silent Hill is very serious-and adult, of course- and that was the moment that I realized that gaming would become an important medium for storytelling. The quality of immersion is very difficult to reach with cinema. And I feel that it’s extremely stupid for films like Doom to come out and reflect poorly on games.

EGM: IT doesn’t help when a critic like Roger Ebert says that games are not art…

CG: F*** him. You know, I will say to this guy that he only has to read the critiques against cinema that the beginning of the 20th century. It was seen as a degenerate version of live stage musicals. And this was a time when visionary directors like Griffith were working. That means that Ebert is wrong. It’s simple. Most people who despise a new medium are simply afraid to die, so they express their arrogance and fear like this. He will realize that he is wrong on his deathbed. Human beings are stupid, and we often become a**holes when we get old. Each time a new medium appears, I feel that it’s important to respect it, even if it appears primitive or naïve at first, simply because some people are finding value in it. If you have one guy in the world who thinks that Silent Hill or Zelda is a beautiful, poetic work, then that game means something.

EGM: How did you tackle the concept of evil in Silent Hill?

CG: Because Silent Hill comes from a part of the world where the line between good and evil is blurred more so than in the West, it’s very interesting to deal with that. Since you haven’t seen the film, I don’t want to go too deeply into that, but I will say that for me, it was interesting to define what exactly is evil in the world of today. I think it’s an important question to raise. Until five years ago, we were living in a world that was a product of the Second World War. It was very clear that we were on the good side. But many things have happened in the last few years, and now people aren’t so sure about that.

In Silent Hill, I don’t attempt to answer these questions, but I do try to illustrate them. And I think it’s one of the most important objectives of the horror genre, to ask the right questions. Horror is actually a very political genre. Silent Hill is a very disturbing game, because you’re not just alone physically, but also alone morally. That’s the world of today. Each day, we’re forced to reevaluate our own morality.

EGM: You seem so passionate about this project…do you hope to helm a sequel?

CG: OF course, I would love to come back. And of course, Silent Hill 3 is a direct continuation of the first game’s plot…I think that it would be very possible to do a sequel to this film. As I said, Silent Hill is a complete mythology, and I did what I could in two hours, but I would love to tell much more about the Red Nurse, Claudia, and the Doctor. Plus, there is a fifth dimension of Silent Hill-how it existed in the 18th century, during the Salem witch-hunts. It’s so big and so interesting, and I would love to jump back on the horse.

EGM: Akira, what has the whole Silent Hill movie project meant to you?

AY: I never dreamed in my wildest dreams that Silent Hill would ever become a feature film, so I must say that I’m extremely grateful for the chance to work on this incredible project. The approach that we took when making the games was not typical- we were heavily influenced by films, and really wanted to touch the users’ emotions. We wanted to touch their hearts deeply. That kind of emotional potential was generally reserved for other forms of art, but I think that we were able to succeed. And now, to see these filmmakers take inspiration from our game, that was a very emotional moment for me.
Winning Poster in the "Poster Contest"...

How ya doing, buddy?
stormshadow
Syklis Green

Member 171

Level 7.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:28 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 02:28 PM #4 of 608
I am defnitely looking forward to this movie. Out of all the games in this vein, Fatal Frame, RE, and the like Silent Hill is hands down my favorite of the genre.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:31 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 10:31 AM #5 of 608
I saw the trailer for this movie, and I was pretty damn impressed with it. I really don't have any comparision expectations for this movie, as I have never played any of the games.

I was speaking idiomatically.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:34 PM #6 of 608
Quote:
Spoiler:

The entire time the air raid siren is going in the background and people are running up the steps. One of them (a younger woman) stops and shouts something at Dahlia (it was hard to hear) and then the ground and everything around them starts to turn black. Rose runs up the steps and she and Cybil start to enter the school. Dahlia points at the younger woman and as Rose and Cybil enter the school, Pyramid Head makes it to the top of the stairs. He grabs the young woman by the neck, holds her up in the air, with a single pull tears her clothes off. Then he grabs the skin of her chest and twists it and then rips the skin off of her entire body. As Rose and Cybil slam the school doors shut, he throws the skin at them and it splatters against the door, with blood seeping underneath it.
Holy shit. WHAT THE FUCK. Uh yeah. Rated R.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:46 PM #7 of 608
Originally Posted by dagget
Holy Shit indeed. I guess that would explain what this is all about. Actually, I'm in the process of making a 2x3 foot painting of that very image. From the sounds of it, this is going to be very good. April 21st couldn't come soon enough.

FELIPE NO
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:47 PM #8 of 608
Originally Posted by dagget
Heh, no doubt about it. At least we know what's going on in this scene now..

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Agent Olive
Desert Rose

Member 249

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:47 PM #9 of 608
I love Silent Hill, and this doesn't look like it will disappoint.

soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:40 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 04:40 PM #10 of 608
Originally Posted by Simo
Actually, I never linked the WonderCon scene description to that scene in the teaser teaser.

Since it hasn't been posted yet, here's a clear image of Pyramid Head.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:07 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 11:07 PM #11 of 608
Some interesting news that appeared in the downtime I'd not seen. This looks like it has the potential to rock. I'm fearful of getting my hopes up those as no game to film conversion has gone that well yet. We'll see I guess.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:31 PM #12 of 608
I don't get what's going on in this image.

soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:33 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 05:33 PM #13 of 608
Originally Posted by Legato
I don't get what's going on in this image.
It's in the spoiler-tagged part of Simo's post.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:58 PM #14 of 608
Christ, that is pretty fucking disturbing.

I hope they give adequate purpose to Pyramid Head's action (punishment, like it was in Silent Hill 2) and don't just make him a baddy for the sake of being bad. I want him to do brutal things for a reason! Even if his punishment is more violent than one would think the sin warrants.

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:05 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 10:05 PM #15 of 608
Damn! I was skeptical at first, but after seeing that trailer and reading the footage description I am really looking forward to this movie now.

Just damn! By the way, was it mentioned whether that Akira Yamaoka will be composing the OST as well? I'd assume so, seeing as how he compositions from the games were used (and the fact that he's apart of the project).

FELIPE NO
Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:09 PM #16 of 608
Originally Posted by Hantei
By the way, was it mentioned whether that Akira Yamaoka will be composing the OST as well? I'd assume so, seeing as how he compositions from the games were used (and the fact that he's apart of the project).
Yep. An all new score too that'll mesh with the games perfectly.

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:12 PM #17 of 608
Yep. An all new score too that'll mesh with the games perfectly.
Um. You've got your story a bit wrong here.

Jeff Danna is going to compose the soundtrack, taking influence/tracks from Yamaoka. To be clear, Akira Yamaoka is not going to be doing new work on this movie's soundtrack.

Simo

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:16 PM #18 of 608
Originally Posted by Jazzflight
Um. You've got your story a bit wrong here.

Jeff Danna is going to compose the soundtrack, taking influence/tracks from Yamaoka. To be clear, Akira Yamaoka is not going to be doing new work on this movie's soundtrack.
From the new EGM interview:
Quote:
EGM: How does the score for the film compare to that of the games?
AY: I didn't really want to change the style too much, I wanted the game and the film to mesh.

EGM: Any vocal tracks for the film?
AY: There may be some vocal tracks, but I don't want them to interfere with the atmosphere of the film--instrumental score provides a better balance.

EGM: What was the process like for composing the film's score?
AY: Actually, I'm just starting now--and by seeing the film I got immediate inspiration for how certain tracks would fit into the film. I'm actually really inspired after seeing Christophe's film.
I was aware of the Jeff Danna news and whatnot but it looks like Yamaoka will be producing new music while Danna will help with the timing/editing/intergrating his stuff into the movie like he was going to do before.

Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:34 PM #19 of 608
Originally Posted by Legato
Christ, that is pretty fucking disturbing.

I hope they give adequate purpose to Pyramid Head's action (punishment, like it was in Silent Hill 2) and don't just make him a baddy for the sake of being bad. I want him to do brutal things for a reason! Even if his punishment is more violent than one would think the sin warrants.
http://translatedmemories.com/bookpgs/Pg84-85.jpg

Lil' bit of SH3 spoilers. If you read this (and have played all the games), according to the creators, Pyramid Head is Vatiel himself, which makes sense after you read it. This would make putting PH into the movie closer to canon, instead of "oh, he's cool, let's include him".

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:00 AM #20 of 608
I think that book is dumb. I've read parts of it before, and it pretty much sucks a lot of mystery out of SH. It takes what is ambiguous and makes it incredibly literal, this destroying part of the fun that is subjective interpretation of a world which I always felt was meant to be figurative and metaphysical.

Nevertheless, I don't see it anywhere in there that Valtiel and Pyramid Head are the same.

Pyramid Head was just a mock of the executioners of Silent Hill's past; he was a mental demon that haunted "sinners" or the guilty. He destroyed himself at the end of Silent Hill 2, not because he was physically beaten but because he no longer has purpose in James' life. (Not to say that when he killed himself he died for good, he just died for James).

Valtiel was just God's bitch. He existed to see to it that Heather take the path that was to give birth to God. That's why he would drag you off early in the game, presumably to resurrect you. There's also a specific room in Silent Hill 3 that contains 3 paintings. Just three. One of them is obviously Heather/Cheryl, the other one depicts a supposed saint who was an expert doctor/surgeon (I forgot exactly what it said.) If you asked me, it was a direct allusion to the fact that Valtiel is simply there to make sure God is birthed, and therefore to make sure its mother is alive. (The man depicted in the painting is never mentioned anywhere else in the game, and is never seen.)

They're similar beings; they both serve God. However, I get the impression Valtiel is sent directly by God, and Pyramid Head is simply a human creation serving in God's name.

So I say, I don't want to see Pyramid Head just killing shit just because it's there.

Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:36 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:36 PM #21 of 608
I think the movie looks quite amazing.

I was never the biggest fan of the games, but I really did enjoy Silent Hill 2. I thought it was one of the best horror games I had ever played.

After being such a huge Resident Evil fan, and watching the horrible movies I can't wait to see an actual good horrie game movie.. Silent Hill actually looks a bit promising since it actually has to do with the game. Pyrmid head looks great and just from that little image in the middle of the page with the skin and the screenshot with the corpse looks amazing to me.

I hope it grosses the hell out of me. Can't wait to see it in theater.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:16 AM #22 of 608
I can't believe how fucking piss-poor that poster contest winner is. He literally took 2 of the stock photos, blended them together, and added a Times New Roman tagline. It's complete ass. Then again, so were most of the entries, but seriously, that one is just god-awful.

Anyway, this movie is going to probably rock large balls. It's got the look down pat, and Pyramid Head is even scarier looking than he was in the game. When that image surfaced, I almost cried.

galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:51 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:51 AM #23 of 608
I dunno. In motion, he looks great, but that still image kind of gives me a really big "meh." I've always thought that Pyramid Head should be a lot more twisted, a more grotesque mutation of life, than he is/was.

FELIPE NO
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:56 AM #24 of 608
That's not grotesque enough for you?? I don't want to look inside your imagination

Maybe it's just that much more powerful for me because when I first saw Pyramid Head, it was the first time I was actually afraid in a video game. Not jump scares like Resident Evil, I'm talking actually afraid of something. It was a mindfuck seeing him just standing there behind that gate, motionless. I just sat there in awe of how insanely scary he was.

It's also reassuring to see that they're not doing a half-assed adaptation. Seeing P-Head looking like that gives me lots of faith in this flick.

Claliel
The Wetworks

Member 912

Level 5.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:59 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:59 AM #25 of 608
Maybe they'll pull off a lot of trippy stop-motion stuff like they did in The Ring.

But I mean like... good.

Don't you despise pointless signatures?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie