Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:32 PM #101 of 336
Entertaining series but I'm surprised it was so short; I was expecting more, maybe up to like 24 episodes.
Kyon's fast witty comments are the best, it's so funny.
Spoiler:
I like episode 11 the best. It was so fun watching Yuki trying to learn the mouse and her pounding away on the keyboard and then they had a bleeped cameo of gundam.

How ya doing, buddy?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:50 PM #102 of 336
It ended although I wouldn't mind a second season from that kind of ending, although that's probably not going to happen
More Mikuru abuse and magical Yuki is always welcome.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Yuna
涼宮ハルヒ

Member 1603

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:09 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 02:09 PM #103 of 336
I watched the last episode yeasterday. Great show!
Spoiler:
I just wonder if Kyon and Suzumiya are really a couple or just "friends"
I hope a 2nd season comes, it would be awesome. I wish there were also more Nagato action, like the time she saves Kyon's life.

FELIPE NO
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:22 PM #104 of 336
It would be a crime against someone or something not to continue this series. If it'll compel them to make another season, I will even buy the series. =O

I too would definitely like to see more Nagato action.
(<3 megane shoujo)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:50 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 07:50 PM #105 of 336
One of the best shows I've ever seen, best character chemistry since Azumanga Daioh, and a sweet little plot. Add to that the animation quality and voice acting, and it adds up to a wonderful experience.

Spoiler:
I loved the ending, where Kyon didn't say something cheesy like "I like you", but instead made a relatively crass erotic reference. That way Haruhi was surprised, too.

Arguably the end was predictable, but it would have to be, otherwise Kyon wouldn't have figured it out and our world would've ended.

I love Yuki's "spellcasting". And Koizumi is a great character. I loved how in the final episode, he was like "I thought you figured it out already, dude. I mean, come on." when Kyon was asking "why am I here?"

Good music, too!

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by surasshu; Jul 6, 2006 at 06:34 PM.
Foshi
Laugh and Grow Fat

Member 3194

Level 13.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 03:32 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 03:32 PM #106 of 336
The messed up episode order didn't help anything. Only added unneeded confusion to an already stale plot. Don't get me wrong, I really liked this series for the laid back attitude and interesting characters, superb animation, decent music, and convuluted explanations.

I heard this was based off of a novel, or manga or something. Don't really care about that, but I wonder if the kanon is deep enough to allow for a sequel that will advance the plot points skipped in this season.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 04:07 PM #107 of 336
I agree with Foshi - and I've been watching the episodes in the suggested chronological order. I started watching it in the broadcast order, got confused, and then looked up the "right" order. Even after that, I still couldn't get into it, especially after the plot started getting more and more bizzare.

Has anyone else tried watching it in the suggested order, and has it helped any?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Lee-chan; Jul 6, 2006 at 04:52 PM.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 04:12 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 11:12 PM #108 of 336
I did watch it both ways, and I actually feel that the chronological order is disastrous, and the biggest mistake they made was putting Koizumi after Yuki (which is chronological). But that's just me, I can absolutely imagine the order being kind of a turn-off for some people, and the story is a bit weird, it just works really well for me.

I haven't really read the manga, but there's supposedly enough for a second season. I kind of like the ending as it is though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by surasshu; Jul 6, 2006 at 06:34 PM.
Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:29 PM #109 of 336
Spoiler:
I just love Kyon's little sister. In Ep14 when she pulls him outta bed, that was hilarious! If I had a sister, I'd want her to be like Kyon's.

Other than that spoiler box, Ep14 was so-so. I hoped there would of been more stuff relating to this:

Spoiler:
When the original opening sequences show that short segment about Yuki, they have a little clip in one of those frames where she pulls out a sword/blade of some sort. Next to the things that portray her as a machine: "Yuki system, activate!" I wished there were more things in depth of that.

But am I the only one that might feel Ep14 was a bit rushed?

I was speaking idiomatically.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 06:36 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 01:36 AM #110 of 336
I can't say I thought it was rushed, but then I think all anime are sluggish to some extend.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:07 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 08:07 AM #111 of 336
The broadcast order was actually suggested by the original author of the novels (yes, Haruhi is based off a series of novels, and the anime follows them virtually word-for-word for the most part). After watching the entire series, I can fully appreciate why episodes 13 and 14 were shifted from their chronological places (smack in the middle of the series) to the end -- the climax there is really the only satisfying way to end it. Broadcasting the episodes out of order doesn't create that much confusion unless you're really thick, in fact the reverse foreshadowing allowed for much more speculation and the subsequent elevated anticipation for more episodes that would help tie up the various plot points. And here I really must commend Kyoto Animation for their superb level of attention to small details, like
Spoiler:
how Yuki Nagato twirls the mouse in the air when she first starts using it, but later in episode 14 it's revealed that she was simply copying Kyon's movements as he tries to avoid Mikuru (which was hilarity A+++, by the way)

and
Spoiler:
how, during the baseball episode, Haruhi considers tying Mikuru's hair in a ponytail, but abandons it with a disgusted look after glancing at Kyon -- and the reason for this is revealed at the very end of episode 14

There's plenty of details that tie in with one another, and this adds to the charm of airing the series out of chronological order. It certainly gave my brain something to work with.

Out of the entire last season, this was the only series that managed to hold my attention right to the very end. Out of the 70 or so shows available. There's a reason why Haruhi is now rated #1, or close to it, on most of the popular database sites, and why its related merchandise (novels, character song albums, DVDs) are clamouring for top spots in the Amazon.jp sales list.

(For the people inquiring about a second season, nothing has been announced, but there's still hope -- there are plenty of short stories in the novels that have not been animated, and the author is still writing more novels.)

FELIPE NO
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 07:37 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 02:37 AM #112 of 336
Originally Posted by Nigblah
(yes, Haruhi is based off a series of novels, and the anime follows them virtually word-for-word for the most part).
Did you read them? Are they worth it?

Spoiler:
I did read a translation of the end of the dream in episode 14, and I must say I prefer the (translation of) the anime over the (translation of) the book. I just figured that was the manga transcript I was reading though, not the book.
Either way, I prefered the more strong erotic overtones in Kyon's remarks in the anime over the relatively tame "i like you in ponytails". On the other hand, I prefered the book's lack of conclusion over whether Haruhi "accepted" Kyon's kiss over the anime's, where she is clearly surprised but by no means revolted, which is what you sort of expect. The book leaves you guessing a little bit more.

Too many words, and about such a short passage... Sorry!

Out of the entire last season, this was the only series that managed to hold my attention right to the very end.
Same here, although I almost finished Pani Poni, and might go back and do that later. That was a good show too, though certainly not on the scale of Haruhi.

And I must say, once again, the duration of this show seems perfect to me. I don't really need another season. Just like I didn't need another Azumanga Daioh season, even though it's my all-time favourite show, and the ending was open. The series has reached a certain closure, beyond which it seems uneccessary to continue.

Last edited by surasshu; Jul 6, 2006 at 07:40 PM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 09:57 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 10:57 AM #113 of 336
Originally Posted by surasshu
Did you read them? Are they worth it?
There's a translation project ongoing, I've browsed through a couple of chapters. They're good for a read if you're interested, but there's not much new material (in volume 1, that is).

One of #a.f.k's members also has his own translation going, so try that one if you prefer their translation style (it flows much better, I think).

Also, for anyone who wants to know what happens right after the very end of episode 14, here's a sneak preview (WARNING: novel spoiler):
Spoiler:
"Listen to me, I need to tell you something very important."

"What?"

"Haven't you always wished for the existence of aliens or time-travelers or espers?"

"That's right. So what?"

"In other words, the purpose of our SOS Brigade is to find these people. Right?"

"Not only to find them, we have to be able to play together. Just finding them isn't good enough, I want to participate in the act, not just be part of the audience."

"But I always wish I was watching from the sidelines... sigh, whatever. But have you ever thought that these aliens, time-travelers, or espers might be surprisingly close to us?"

"Ah? What do you mean? Don't tell me you mean Yuki, Mikuru, or Itsuki? If it's them, then that's not really a 'surprise'."

"Umm... actually I meant to tell you that it was them all along."

"Are you an idiot? It can't be that easy."

"That's true, this would be too simple by normal standards."

"Then tell me, who's the alien?"

"You would be very glad to hear this. Nagato Yuki is the alien. Hmm, how should I put it? Should be Integrated something entity... or Data something entity... something like that. Basically created by aliens and given a body."

"Hm, then what about Mikuru?"

"Asahina-san is easy to explain: she's a time-traveler. She comes from the future. There's no problem calling her a time-traveler right?"

"Then how many years into the future is she from?"

"I don't know this, she didn't tell me that."

"Oh, I see."

"Really?"

"That means Itsuki is an esper? Were you planning on telling me that from the start?"

"That is correct."

"Ahh."

Haruhi twitched her eyebrows while she spoke, then slowly breathed in some air, and screamed:

"DON'T MESS WITH ME!"

CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 05:47 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 06:47 PM #114 of 336
Personally I like the novel better than the anime, but I have to applaude that these 14 eps of anime sticks closely with the novel with not much deviation!

Waiting for novel 11 to come out in the mean time I have my fingers crossed for 2nd season

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:09 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 06:09 PM #115 of 336
One of #a.f.k's members also has his own translation going, so try that one if you prefer their translation style (it flows much better, I think).
Whoops, when quoting you get to see the spoiler! Good thing I deleted it quickly before I could spoil myself.
I've started reading this, and it's really interesting to see the various ways in which they polished up the storytelling and made it so much stronger with little details. For example, the prologue of the book gives away Kyon's opinion on Santa Claus way too early. Holding that card for just a bit longer, the way the anime does it, makes the punchline ("I never believed in him in the first place") that much stronger.

Anyway, thanks for that link, I agree that it's much better than the other one (as far as I read it anyway)!

Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 09:06 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2006, 07:06 PM #116 of 336
I finished the series just recently (I got kind of delayed) and was amazed. The production value on Haruhi is so high, I wonder how they'll top it (or even match it) when the sequel comes out (AND THERE MUST BE A SEQUEL). We knew Kyoto Animation was great from watching stuff like FMP:TSR, but having to recofus the camera when Haruhi zooms in from the background too quickly? Instrument players that actually MOVE IN TIME TO THE MUSIC? I am a fan for life.

I browsed through some of the novel translations (at the wiki site, since it's a bit ahead of a.f.k.'s translation) and it's pretty darn intriguing. If strato maintains the crazy pace he (she?) worked at for the series, it'd be pretty awesome.

Totally the best series of last season. Detractors can burn!

Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 09:18 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 02:18 AM #117 of 336
Don't watch anime in general unless it's GitS related, but i'm glad I went with this one. It was fecking great.

Roku
Looking towards a better tomorrow

Member 1255

Level 10.12

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 09:53 PM #118 of 336
Haha, I guess I'm lucky to have found out about this anime AFTER the final episode has aired - it'd have been toooorture to wait for every new episode. I actually heard about it from this video. =P

It sucked me in right from the start, and I personally found the 14 episode length perfect for a series that's worth rewatching (and there's so much details that you just need to rewatch it!). I think this is the only series where i would sit through the opening and ending theme songs, plus watch the previews for every single episode.

MrMonkeyMan
MrMonkeyMan?

Member 585

Level 14.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 09:36 AM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 07:36 AM #119 of 336
So who can tell me what's up with the cat in the first episode?

FELIPE NO
-
Foshi
Laugh and Grow Fat

Member 3194

Level 13.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 09:48 AM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 09:48 AM #120 of 336
Originally Posted by Sakabadger
Totally the best series of last season. Detractors can burn!
If you mean the best 14 episode series of last season then I agree. It has to be though because it's the only 14 episode series that I had any interest in last season.

I would definitely appreciate a sequel to this series. That way the characters could be fleshed out some more and the plot holes apparent in the first season could be answered.

Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 06:31 PM #121 of 336
Originally Posted by MrMonkeyMan
Spoiler:
The cat is Koizuma's pet, isn't it? I remember the episode with, that vaction on the island, Kyon's sister adored that cat. And in the first episode, that was lip synching. The cat can't talk and isn't an abnormal being like Yuki, Suzumiya, Asahina, and Koizuma are.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 07:03 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2006, 08:03 AM #122 of 336
Originally Posted by MrMonkeyMan
It wasn't explained since the series didn't reach the novel chapter describing the making of the student film, but in the novel, essentially:

(WARNING: HUEG NOVEL SPOILAR)
Spoiler:
the cat is a perfectly normal specimen, and started talking because Haruhi willed it to happen. Same thing with the MIKURU BEAM (yes, Mikuru really did end up shooting that laser from her eye).

Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:49 PM #123 of 336
Just finished this today. What an awesome series! I really want to know what happens next. So was this show based off just one of the books or a few chapters of one book? In any case I'm totally up for the sequel. I just loved how they jumped around the timeline. Great storytelling. =)

Double Post:
lol okay as I figured it was just based off the first book. That's really cool.

Man I wish someone would do a book translation for other stuff like the Tylor series. Thanks for the link, Blah! =D

Last edited by FatsDomino; Jul 9, 2006 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:09 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 09:09 PM #124 of 336
The 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya' set of episodes (all six) comprise the first volume of the novels. The rest of the series (with the exception of episode 9, "Someday in the Rain") is based on arcs from the following 2 novels or so.

http://www12.brinkster.com/stratoct/haruhitimetable.txt

Yuna
涼宮ハルヒ

Member 1603

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 09:47 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 12:47 AM #125 of 336
Originally Posted by Mojougwe
Spoiler:
I just love Kyon's little sister. In Ep14 when she pulls him outta bed, that was hilarious! If I had a sister, I'd want her to be like Kyon's.
I loved it too, she's so cute and funny.

Spoiler:
I love in the second episode of the "beach episodes" how Kyon's sister is surprised by Haruhi's deductions of the crime and starts clapping, she's so cute!

I'm thinking about reading the manga, but I'll wait a bit because if there really will be a second season, I don't want to spoil it with anything.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya