Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Eye surgery - laser treatment

gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:18 PM #1 of 24
Eye surgery - laser treatment

Has anybody had any bad experiences with it...?
I'm thinking about doing it, but it costs like $4900

How ya doing, buddy?
Thanks to Fjordor for the funny image!
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:43 PM 1 #2 of 24
Anyone who had an unfortunate LASIK experience isn't going to be able to read this thread to answer you, dumbass.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:46 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 10:46 PM #3 of 24
I have 5 relatives that have had it done with 100% success.

However you see those horror programs on TV where people are either left totally or partially blinded. Thats what puts my mom off.

Your best bet is to always go to one that is recommended i.e. ask your GP because I'm sure he/she will maybe know of a few good eye clinics where some of his/her other patients have been sent to have it done.

How ya doing, buddy?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:59 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 11:59 PM #4 of 24
Yes, of course people have had bad (and also many good) experiences with eye surgery. Duh. General anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything in this case, and for god's sake don't base your surgery decisions upon it. What you must decide is whether the statistical probability of something going wrong is worth the payoff to you.

I've read that the probability of significant vision loss consequences after LASIK is approximately 1:10 000, so your chances are ostensibly quite good -- though obviously you should do your own research. Also, I would definitely check the track record of the specific surgeon you are considering (statistics, patient feedback, etc.). If the surgeon's reputation isn't spotless, find someone else. At least that's what I'd do; eyesight is not something to be fucked with.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Pokey
killhouse

Member 15382

Level 9.89

Nov 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:07 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 08:07 PM #5 of 24
is this specifically laser eye treatment, or can you go alternate routes as well?

i've had both my siblings undergo the implantable contact lens procedure, which is when they make a tiny incision in your cornea (I believe) and use proper tools to place a 'permanent' contact in front of the lens. Studies for this eye surgery technique have been going on for roughly 20 years, there have been no reported problems, it is totally reversible, and it can be performed on candidates who are not eligible for LASIK (astigmatism, for example), and it costs roughly the same.

try asking your eye doctor about it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dark Chocolate
Loves Her Boyfriend

Member 429

Level 13.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:34 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 10:34 PM #6 of 24
My dad had laser eye surgery some years ago is back in his glasses. it reversed. i guess it depends on the person. your risk.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 11, 2008, 03:21 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2008, 09:21 PM #7 of 24
First step: Be aware that there's a difference between paying 5,000$ for an eye surgery in the United States and paying 500$ for an eye surgery in Romania.

I forgot about step 2 but I will update this post!

Most amazing jew boots
Ozma
Here's Johnny!!!

Member 10311

Level 25.67

Jul 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:44 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 06:44 PM #8 of 24
Well, some people I know had LASIK and they're doing just fine (as long as I know). Besides, from what I've learned so far, the only dissection done in LASIK is only peeling off a bit off the cornea and cornea has a unbelievably healing power. Usually, most of the patients underdoing LASIK are permitted to return home in less than a week. And yeah, the laser won't shoot when your eye is still moving joyfully.

One advice: if you get afraid of something quickly, don't ever watch any videos about LASIK or maybe you'll even lose your appetite as well.

EDIT: In my country, it's about $120 $1200 an eye due to money exchange rate. Now decide.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Ozma; Mar 12, 2008 at 07:17 AM.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:58 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 12:58 PM #9 of 24
EDIT: In my country, it's about $120 an eye due to money exchange rate. Now decide.
Yeah, I heard you can get a bus driving license for 50$ and a juris doctor degree for 100$ in Poland,

Most amazing jew boots
Ozma
Here's Johnny!!!

Member 10311

Level 25.67

Jul 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 07:17 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 07:17 PM #10 of 24
Oops...sorry...miscalculation. It's $1200.

How Unfortunate
Ghost

Member 4460

Level 13.04

Apr 2006

Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:00 PM #11 of 24
I'm a bit nearsighted. Most of my time is nearwork (papers, computer, etc.), so I'm thinking of just leaving it.

It's worth the cash for me to dump my glasses. But on the other hand, near sight is more important to me than farsight, and I figure I can delay age-related farsightedness...?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:41 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2008, 08:41 PM #12 of 24
What you must decide is whether the statistical probability of something going wrong is worth the payoff to you.
That's exactly my view. That'd be why I kind of fear surgery altogether. I mean, the success rate of most operations on ANY part of the body is always higher than the failure or complication rate, but I've heard enough stories to keep me away from any doctor.

Doctors are humans, also, and can make mistakes, even if most of the work is done by a machine.

I also read in the paper of one case where the procedure was successful for a woman, but it somehow caused her eyes to stop producing enough tears or moisture to lubricate her eyes, and her eyes burned so bad she had to check herself into a mental hospital because she wanted to kill herself due to the pain.

Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:34 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2008, 11:34 PM #13 of 24
Perhaps you should do more research before you go through an irreversible surgery, especially if cosmetic and by choice. Here's a good recent article to get started. Apparently a lot of people complain of dry eyes, halos, starbursts around lights, and blurriness for weeks or months.

I have moderately bad vision (-4.50) and am happy with contacts. It's not that much of a chore, and I'd rather save my corneas than tamper with something that ain't broke.

gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2008, 01:38 AM #14 of 24
There's a new method called FemtoSecond or IntraLase. It has been tested on millions with great results. And there's no microknife involved.
But the price is twice as expensive: $8553

They also said something about being the only method accepted by NASA on lasersurgery on their astronauts...

I'm mostlikely going to go for this next-genetation eye treatment.

lord-of-shadow
Never pet a burning dog.

Member 38

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:00 AM #15 of 24
Also, keep in mind that laser-eye surgery is still a relatively young operation, and many of the horror stories come from it's earlier days. These problems occur less and less as time goes on, doctors have more experience, and techniques and equipment is improved.

FELIPE NO
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 14, 2008, 03:24 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2008, 09:24 AM #16 of 24
That's exactly my view. That'd be why I kind of fear surgery altogether. I mean, the success rate of most operations on ANY part of the body is always higher than the failure or complication rate, but I've heard enough stories to keep me away from any doctor.

Doctors are humans, also, and can make mistakes, even if most of the work is done by a machine.

I also read in the paper of one case where the procedure was successful for a woman, but it somehow caused her eyes to stop producing enough tears or moisture to lubricate her eyes, and her eyes burned so bad she had to check herself into a mental hospital because she wanted to kill herself due to the pain.
The failure rate is less than 0.5% in industrial states like the United States or Germany, so as long as you don't go to Poland or Romania to fix your eyes you shouldn't be worried at all. Actually, the chance of losing your complete eye sight is like totally impossible, most of the time, the "failure" means that you don't get any sight improvement at all.

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:35 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2008, 10:35 AM #17 of 24
It's still a gamble, nonetheless, no?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Mar 17, 2008, 09:58 AM Local time: Mar 17, 2008, 04:58 PM #18 of 24
I wouldn't advise anyone to get an eye surgery if you really don't have to, because there is a very good solution for bad eyes that works for most people that you can get for free. Yes, you heard me right, for free.

What I'm talking about is eye training, training your eyes to regain their health and slow down the aging process. Okay, some of you might just think this is some bullshit, but trust me, it really works more or less. I found a very good article on the net about this, and trying it for a week or so myself has already given me results, and if you read the comments on the site you'll see it has helped many others. I advise you guys to try this before you resort to an eye surgery. I'll keep trying with this myself and hopefully I can stop using my glasses sometime in the near future

Also, here's a good blog with various info about eye training and other related stuff.

Gray
Resident Psychopath

Member 28289

Level 2.12

Feb 2008

Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:36 PM #19 of 24
I wear ciba night and day contacts - the kind you wear 24/7 for a month - and highly recommend them.. I only take them out once every two months or so to change pair or clean, and I totally forget they're in. Just wanted to throw that out as another inexpensive option.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
priji
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 29114

Level 1.34

Mar 2008

Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:23 AM #20 of 24
Laser eye surgery is very safe .the treatment is about 6-9 seconds on each eye and is not painful at all, but i am one doubt this treatment is hight Expensive?

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 01:56 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 01:56 AM #21 of 24
My grandmother had laser eye surgery in 2000 and it worked great. You shouldn't have any medical problems.

atiz
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 3611

Level 1.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2008, 09:50 AM Local time: Apr 5, 2008, 10:50 PM #22 of 24
Why not plan a holiday in South East Asia and go for lasik at the same time?
These days I heard its popular for tourists to go for medic tours.
My suggestion - drop by in Singapore for lasik surgery and u can be hopping over to Malaysia and Thailand for a day at the beaches.

Lasik surgey costs around $3k plus in Singapore and so far, I had 3 of my colleagues gone for that with no complications whatever.

Quote:
Maybe its the grown up syndrome. Or maybe we are getting more politically correct.
Whatever the case, the fact is that we become more untruthful to our own feelings as we aged.
We hid our emotions much effectively than before.
We become a mere social constrict.

When a smile is no longer a symbol of joy, it had evolved into a element of friendliness.
QuentinT
Syklis Green

Member 26171

Level 8.62

Nov 2007

Old Apr 12, 2008, 05:27 PM #23 of 24
I plan on getting LASIK but i can only see out of one eye, so the risk factor is what im paranoid about, if one eye goes down then thats it im screwed.

FELIPE NO
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2008, 04:37 AM #24 of 24
I backed out from doing the eye surgery the last hour.
Hopefully, it will be a bit cheaper the next time.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Eye surgery - laser treatment