Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:30 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 12:30 AM #251 of 342
Originally Posted by B4-Hunter
Oh =P didn't know =) Any news about the covers?
I'm going to get the USPS guy and strangle him. I haven't recieved the game yet. It's killing me.
When I get it, I will take that cover out and lick it. Then I'll scan it for you.

Originally Posted by striped phantom
Those words are another name for..

Spoiler:
shalashaska = ocelot's other name.. maybe in Russian
La Li Lu Le Lo = another name for the Patriots
Spoiler:
Shalashaska is a Russian slang word for "prison"

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Love it.
Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:49 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 11:49 PM #252 of 342
If my memeory serves me, Shalashaska is what the Mujahideen forces called Ocelot durring the Soviet-Afghanistan war.

Well, I've finally logged in enough time online to say that I like it more than SOCOM 3. Subsistence is the best online game on PS2, I freakin' love this game! It's not just about getting kills, but using tactics as well. Developing a playing style has joys unknown in other online games I've played. Between this and my recently purchased copy of God of War (great game!), I'm going to have no time for anything.

One of the coolest games I've played was in the City under Siege with 2 master Snipers, "Solid" and "Liqud". They positioned themselves opposite each other across the city and covered each other with their sniper fire. I was having a blast just trying to figure out how to expose the weakness of their tactic despite the fact that I lost bigtime.

I have a couple questions about online:

Is there a way to join a game with someone on your friends list? I can't find out how to do it.

Also, how do you play as the Rumble Roses characters? I've been every other special character except them. Do you have to beat Snake Eater on the Subsistence disc in order to unlock them or something? Or perhaps there's an option when creating a game? I noticed that when creating a game, underneath the option to use special characters theres a grey field that says "???". Is this some unlockable online option?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

[ MOBIUS ]
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:53 PM #253 of 342
Spatula:
Spoiler:
Actually if you rewatch the cinematic at the end of the tanker in MGS2 Ocelot sais that he abandoned mother Russia when he turns on Gurlukavitch.

Mobius: I think you're on the right track, though I don't really know myself. ^^;

Update: Accumilate 50 hours of online gameplay time to unlock Reiko and Dixie from Konami's "Rumble Roses".

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Slayer X; Mar 19, 2006 at 11:00 PM.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:26 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 09:26 PM #254 of 342
A few things that stook out to me when I compared the game to what I was expecting:

1. I kinda expected to use the croc head for more than just that one river which lasted like what 30 seconds? The croc head seemed pretty useless after that.

Spoiler:

I was expecting this as a cut scene, no? I know its on the mountain top on the second stage. But it looked like it would have made a nice cutscene of Snake taking down a Hind. I guess I mistook this cutscene, instead it just turned out to be gameplay.

Also here's another one which I remember seeing quite a long time ago even before SE was released. The only parts that I can remember this happening are at the end of the virtuous mission or before meeting the Sorrow.

I kept thinking that these would be cutscenes before playing Subsistence - Snake Eater, but I guess not, just part of the gameplay. I'm aware that the camo you change into will show up in the cutscene, and I never did put snake without his top.

Also, I have the MGS3 OST as well, but when I'm listening to the MAIN THEME for MGS3, which is 6 minutes 30 seconds long, I've only heard it when you fight the Shagohod. I thought this would be at the beginning of the game as well? Sigh, I'd like to check, but once I start playing again, I can't stop. Plus I never play a game again the same day I beat it. I probably won't touch the game for a few months now.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Mar 19, 2006 at 11:57 PM.
Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:17 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 01:17 AM #255 of 342
Quote:
Accumilate 50 hours of online gameplay time to unlock Reiko and Dixie from Konami's "Rumble Roses".
Well, I guess that puts a kink in my plan to get a new online name. I was thinking about changing my current one, "Cornered_Fox". I was thinking "Snakes on a Plane", but that's too long. Once I get 50 hours of online play, can I choose the Roses as the special characters specifically when creating a game? I heard that their special moves are very powerful.

I'd like to say that the salute move is one of the coolest things I've seen in an online game ever. It can be used as both a taunt and a sign of respect. I will usually salute a fallen foe if he was a worthy opponent. It's also hillarious to salute comrades who saved your ass and then have them salute you back. Brilliant!

I'm glad to see that people are enjoying Snake Eater for the first time, though I'm a little surprised that so many people waited this long to play it. It kind of makes me worry that some people perhaps intended to wait for Subsistence, but then lost interest. More people need to play this game. I feel that it was a little underrated. Though it garnered much critical acclaim, it didn't really win as many awards as I might have hoped.

Also, is it just me or do the original Metal Gears resemble the modern ones ALOT more than previously thought? It may not be a surprise to those that have played the original Gears before, but I'm ecstatic! If you look past the graphics, the Solid series is almost a carbon copy with the exception of a new move or two here and there. Who'd of thunk it?

FELIPE NO

[ MOBIUS ]
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:27 AM #256 of 342
Originally Posted by Spatula
1. I kinda expected to use the croc head for more than just that one river which lasted like what 30 seconds? The croc head seemed pretty useless after that.
There are some tricks you can do with it.

Try putting it on when you're

Spoiler:
disguised as a scientist. And let a guard see you with it on.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:36 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 01:36 AM #257 of 342
Wow. That's the one thing that I've never done in Snake Eater. And I thought I'd done it all...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

[ MOBIUS ]
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:40 AM #258 of 342
It's just a little thing.

But it's nice that they thought of all these little details.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:30 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 02:30 AM #259 of 342
LOL, I just found out that Raikov is immune to the books!

[ MOBIUS ]
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:38 AM #260 of 342
I remember that one.

Have you tried giving Raikov rotten food. He'll eat anything you toss on the floor.

Follow him after he eats the rotten food.

And

Spoiler:
don't forget to knock after he gets in there. Knock repeatedly.

I don't recommend giving him poisonous food, though. But it's still worth seeing it once.

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 01:56 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 12:56 AM #261 of 342
Originally Posted by Mobius One
LOL, I just found out that Raikov is immune to the books!
Spoiler:
He's gay

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:26 AM #262 of 342
But are the Rumble Rose girls immune to the books? Seriously, I don't know.

And despite what the idiots in Gamefaqs might tell you, Ocelot's hat does NOT make him immune to headshots. I had the chance to play him today, and I got picked off by the snipers same as usual.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 03:53 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 01:53 PM #263 of 342
After reading a thread which started discussing about "cannibalism", I wondered what Snake would say if he was hungry and ate a dead guard.

<Snake>"Hmmm.....tasty."

<Para-Medic> "OMG YOU ATE A HUMAN!"

<Snake> "Shut up you ho, I got tired of them snakes and crawly things."

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 04:20 PM #264 of 342
There was a conversation between Snake and ParaMedic about eating the attack dogs.

That was literally my first thought when I first encountered them. "Are they edible."

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 04:25 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 02:25 PM #265 of 342
Herm? Damn, I must have skipped over that codec. Usally most stuff with Paramedic or Signit/whatever I skip over. I don't care how many stupid movies she watched. The only one I like was when they were talking about the James Bond films and Snake says he's not really into spying. I guess he lets the gun do the talking.

- What we all do best -
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 04:42 PM #266 of 342
It was one of those radio-coversations where you just call up ParaMedic the first time you see an attack dog.

I did that all the time, just to hear EVERYTHING each character had to say about EVERYTHING. Everytime I pick up a new food item, I call ParaMedic. Everytime I pick up a new weapon, I call Sigint.

And I call repeatedly until they run out new things to say.

ParaMedic will say different things to you depending on whether you've eaten the food item before.

They recorded so MUCH material, and thought of practically every little detail that makes the game so great.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 05:03 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 03:03 PM #267 of 342
Perhaps I should have paid more attention to the codecs. I still took my time though; 28 some hours from beginning to end. As with most of these sneaking games, I sometimes sit in the same spot for more than 10 minutes to watch how the guards patrol. I think most people watching me play would be annoyed by me just laying there. I think the virtuous mission I crawled like 5 feet every minute, partially because it's been so long since my last sneaking-around game. So slow....

- What we all do best -
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 05:06 PM #268 of 342
I've already played the original snake eater so I don't feel like paying for it to play it again. All I really want from substinance is the online play but I heard you need to do some dnas patching when burning it to a dvd and it sounds like a hastle >_<
I'll see when I get to play it cause I hear the online play is great.
And talking about codec, there are pleanty of funy conversations, ever tried:
Spoiler:
Putting ur camo to the Naked option and then calling Sigint, so funny ^^

New Record!
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 05:16 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 03:16 PM #269 of 342
I'd wish for a PS2 version of Twin Snakes, which really is the first game. But I think I'd find it easier to play again than the original PSX version. I love MGS, but for some reason I find it just didn't age too well.

Perhaps one day when they DO make a PS2 version, however unlikely, then I'll do a big MGS marathon doing 3,1,2, then hopefully 4.

- What we all do best -
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 05:37 PM #270 of 342
Originally Posted by Shenlon
And talking about codec, there are pleanty of funy conversations, ever tried:
Spoiler:
Putting ur camo to the Naked option and then calling Sigint, so funny ^^
There are so MANY funny conversations. Also try:

Spoiler:
Equipping a cardboard box and then calling everyone

Perhaps I should have paid more attention to the codecs. I still took my time though; 28 some hours from beginning to end. As with most of these sneaking games, I sometimes sit in the same spot for more than 10 minutes to watch how the guards patrol. I think most people watching me play would be annoyed by me just laying there. I think the virtuous mission I crawled like 5 feet every minute, partially because it's been so long since my last sneaking-around game. So slow....
Yeah, that's how I play. I'll go into an area, lie down in the grass, and look in first person.

And just observe and listen.

------

Yes, the gameplay of the the original Metal Gear Solid for PSX didn't age too well. But the story, music, atmosphere, and flair are just as brilliant as they were eight years ago.

I don't care that much for Twin Snakes. The original MGS was never meant to be played with MGS2 controls. The layout of the structures and boss fights were never designed with first-person aiming in mind, which watered down the difficulty.

I'll stick with my Playstation MGS.

Most amazing jew boots
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 05:47 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 03:47 PM #271 of 342
I'm starting to think now, How DID I manage to take down those guards w/o alerts? Snake couldn't do a choke hold from behind. He only did "karate-action" punches and kicks. Maybe I didn't take down any of the guards, just pure sneaking. There was the tranq gun, but it didn't work too well when you shot at the body. Maybe I'm thinking of MGS2.

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -
Timberwolf
Gangsta Moogle

Member 1126

Level 27.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:01 PM #272 of 342
I'm starting to think now, How DID I manage to take down those guards w/o alerts? Snake couldn't do a choke hold from behind. He only did "karate-action" punches and kicks. Maybe I didn't take down any of the guards, just pure sneaking. There was the tranq gun, but it didn't work too well when you shot at the body. Maybe I'm thinking of MGS2.
Are you referring to the original MGS? Because you can do chokeholds in all subsequent games.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:03 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 04:03 PM #273 of 342
The one for PSX, yeah MGS. You COULD do choke holds? Man, no wonder I found the game tough. >_>So the guy gets knocked out right?

- What we all do best -
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:07 PM #274 of 342
I heard that you could even crawl in the first MGS.

How ya doing, buddy?
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:16 PM #275 of 342
Well you could do chokeholds, but you couldn't drag them and use them as human shields though I don't think. If I remember correctly you could only snap their necks.

I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong though, because when I want to play MGS1 I play the GC version anymore. Best remake ever!!!

How ya doing, buddy?

Tags
best majym, links zuppd

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence