Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Need an FTP server in Ubuntu

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 03:20 PM #1 of 13
Need an FTP server in Ubuntu

Since I now have a class that seriously requires Ubuntu, I went ahead and installed it, and for the most part, I'm liking the aesthetics, but I do miss some of the simplicity that I'm used to, namely, installing programs with a simple *.exe file as well as the long gone days of finding ANY driver that works well, along with codec packs.

Anyways, putting all that aside...

I do currently run an FTP server right now (I've reverted to XP from Vista, maybe I'll try it again sometime in the near future, nothing like Tri-booting (or if I'm feeling really bored, Quad-booting if I can track down Mac OS X)) and I was wondering if there's an easy to use FTP Server in Ubuntu. The only requirement is that I need to be robust enough to compare with BulletProof FTP Server (which is what I'm currently using in XP.)

Suggestions? Preferably a guide (or at least a link to a guide) on how to set one up too.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 03:29 PM Local time: Sep 3, 2008, 09:29 PM #2 of 13
You didn't google for it, right?

Let me tell you one thing: The linux community is going to laugh at you (or worse) if you don't do at least a simple search before asking about a thing on forums / mailing list / bugzilla.

First link from google search with string "ubuntu setup ftp server":
HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd) - Ubuntu Forums

I think the thread is a pretty good starting ground for FTP configuration.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Sep 3, 2008 at 05:56 PM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 03:32 PM 4 #3 of 13
The linux community is going to laugh at you
OH SHIT

Most amazing jew boots
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 06:10 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2008, 12:10 AM #4 of 13
The linux community is going to laugh at you (or worse) if you don't do at least a simple search before asking about a thing on forums / mailing list / bugzilla.
Better now?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:42 PM #5 of 13
Actually, I did do a google search, but I was hoping not to muck around with needless bullshit to get it to work. In short, I wanted a GUI, which all of my google searches turned up something about setting up a bunch of shit in the terminal. That post did help though. Thanks.

How ya doing, buddy?

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:00 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2008, 04:00 AM #6 of 13
Actually, I did do a google search, but I was hoping not to muck around with needless bullshit to get it to work. In short, I wanted a GUI, which all of my google searches turned up something about setting up a bunch of shit in the terminal. That post did help though. Thanks.
Read this: Linux is NOT Windows

You're obviously on the wrong track. You should switch back to Windows.... really.

Most amazing jew boots
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:05 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2008, 11:05 AM 9 #7 of 13
Shut the fuck up. People like you give the Linux community a horrible, horrible name.

FELIPE NO
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:25 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2008, 04:25 AM #8 of 13
Shut the fuck up. People like you give the Linux community a horrible, horrible name.
No, I'm not.

Sry Bigblah, but he wasn't even trying to set things up himself.

I'm always willing to help people, but I demand at least showing a tiny bit of initiative. And that is clearly not the case here.

@Omnislash124: I don't mean to be rude, but a lot of people get the wrong impression with the CLI (command line interface). You won't get around using it. So if you have any questions concerning that, feel free to ask them.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Sep 3, 2008 at 10:29 PM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:35 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2008, 11:35 AM 5 #9 of 13
Asking for help is initiative. Shit, installing the OS itself is plenty of initiative. I've spent the past two days struggling with Fedora Live CD, trying to get the ethernet and wireless on my laptop working (which involved having to go back and forth transferring a multitude of rpm files and dependencies which I didn't know in advance because yum doesn't work without an Internet connection -- thanks for the Catch-22, developers) and the only reasons I didn't post on a forum for help are (1) impatience (2) the extremely high possibility that I would curse and swear every two words in my post (3) helpful people like you.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Bigblah; Sep 3, 2008 at 10:49 PM.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:57 PM #10 of 13
Sorry, I didn't mean to make this big of a deal out of it. I really just needed an easy way to get an FTP server running with the least amount of hassle.

I'll admit, this is my first time using Ubuntu, and I simply haven't had the time to mess around too much with it yet (just got it installed like 3 days ago). I'm currently dual booting Windows XP with Ubuntu, so if the need arises, I can easily go back to XP temporarily, but I thought I'd stick with Ubuntu for a bit since:

1. I wanted to see for myself what all the rave was about with people in my CS/CPE classes talking about it all the time.
2. It's required for one of my CPE classes (Applied Software Engineering).

But either way, I just got it set up and working, it seems. I still want to thank you for the push in the right direction.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:16 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2008, 05:16 AM #11 of 13
@Omnislash124: I just hope that you don't get the the impression that KDE is linux.

@Bigblah:
Asking for help is initiative.
Then we have a different understanding of initiative.
For me initiative is first trying to solve the problem without active external help. That involves searching the web for guides on the goal you want to achieve, postings from people who had the same problem and so on.
This is of course time consuming, but often I'm rewarded with the needed info after some minutes.

I can totally understand that someone asks because he doesn't know what to search for. That's usually a problem for me too (partially because I'm not a native speaker). I just can't figure out a good searchstring for the problem, and without that -> no search.
That's the point where I consult external help.

Same goes when I'm left with no clues after a hour (or so) of rummaging the web.

Shit, installing the OS itself is plenty of initiative.
Sry, but you're mixing something up here. It was him deciding himself that he wanted to setup a FTP server on his Ubuntu system. It was his choice, so he has to deal with the consequences.

I went through the struggle many times myself, but I'm not going to blame someone or demand help from someone just because the whole thing didn't turn out how it should.
You can't just start an installation from a live disc and expect that everyone is running to your rescue when something goes wrong. First of all it's you being responsible for your system. That is even more true with open-source software you didn't pay for and where there is NO customer service (and hotline).

've spent the past two days struggling with Fedora Live CD, trying to get the ethernet and wireless on my laptop working (which involved having to go back and forth transferring a multitude of rpm files and dependencies which I didn't know in advance because yum doesn't work without an Internet connection -- thanks for the Catch-22, developers) and the only reason I didn't post on a forum for help is due to (1) impatience (2) the extremely high possibility that I would curse and swear every two words in my post (3) helpful people like you.
Sorry to hear that, but you can have the same problem with a Windows system:
Non-working network access and no USB drivers on the drivers disc. It was a pain getting data on and off that system (no floppy, only a CD drive).

Anyway, I'm not really a fan of the RPM based system. I worked with Red Hat some time ago and like you mention above, it's a dependency hell. Maybe it's gotten better, dunno. I like source-based distributions better, but that's probably just a matter of taste.
The only problem I currently see with all distros is the lack of proper graphics acceleration support, which includes both 2D and 3D. Hopefully this get's better in future so we can expect a few more game studios developing on linux (big dream *g*).

And now I'll stop spamming this thread.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:26 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2008, 12:26 PM 5 #12 of 13
Jesus, just listen to yourself talk.

1. Justify your assumption that Omnislash didn't actually search for solutions for his problem beforehand.
2. Omnislash thanked you for your reply, and indicated that he was going to continue on his own. He didn't pester anyone to hold his hand. Yet you basically told him to fuck off and go back to Windows.
3. Therein lies your other assumption; that he was mucking around with Linux for shits and giggles.

I don't give a shit if you are a champion at Google searches; this is the Help Desk forum and your attitude does not belong here.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2008, 07:10 AM #13 of 13
I spent about 8 hours last weekend googling on how to get my video card to work with Ubuntu without exploding X every time and requiring either surgery or, if I was lazy, a reinstall. Mind informing me how you do Google searches, Liquid? Clearly my method is flawed if all I get is horribly written threads that consist of something close to my problem followed by 5 bump posts and then someone else saying that they have the same problem.

Jesus, there's a REASON people are scared to install Linux. If the best advice I can get on the subject is from Yahoo! Answers, your "community"'s tech support capabilities are massively fucked.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Need an FTP server in Ubuntu