Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

VGM Internet Radio Stations!?

Hamu-Sumo

Member 1998

Level 23.00

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 04:16 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2008, 11:16 PM #1 of 14
VGM Internet Radio Stations!?

Hiho!

Since a long time I'm looking for a VGM Internet Radio with regular updates. I wouldn't also say no to some moderation but it's hard enough to find a station which fulfill my first point.

Some years ago I have started my experience with GamingFM but after checking the website regularly I realized that no updates were done for weeks (or should I say months?).

Motivated (not in a positive way) through the fact I did (another) Google search, still hoping to find a VGM radio which could be a little brother of Streamingsoundtracks.com. No way. Most radios were damn old or just offline (and seems never to come on air in near future).

It's frustating because I can't explain why no station of that kind exists. The VGM community isn't lazy, quite the contrary. We have a lot of news sites, blogs, shops, etc. On the other hand it's no problem to tune in a (for example) anime or gothic radio - two genres which aren't mainstream as well.

What do you think about? Would you listen to a VGM internet radio station? Do you know a VGM station which worth to listen?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Best Song Contest 2014 Winner
Musashi: Samurai Legend - Aeolic Guardian
composed by Masashi Hamauzu

Me @ last.fm | Ultimate Video Game Composers List | VGM Lounge (German)
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 04:21 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2008, 04:21 PM #2 of 14
I just remember BigMog radio, but that's no longer around.

I think I'm going to bump this thread, 'cause I miss having vg radios.

Most amazing jew boots
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2008, 05:01 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2008, 06:01 AM #3 of 14
GamingFM is the usual choice. I also log on the Live365, they have a few good vgm stations there such as GameBytesRadio, SquareAMP, and VIP members have 1Up! Radio and ChudahFM.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
-=SeRaPH=-
I am Fluffy

Member 11403

Level 8.89

Aug 2006

Old Dec 1, 2008, 09:50 AM Local time: Dec 2, 2008, 01:50 AM #4 of 14
We just got on the AOL game music radio station.

Here it is~

Exclusive: Listen to the "Echoes of War" soundtrack! - AOL Radio Blog

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:20 AM Local time: Dec 1, 2008, 10:20 AM #5 of 14
Live365.com has all sorts of crazy niche radio music joints. Pretty sure there are a fuckton of VGM ones, if I remember right.

How ya doing, buddy?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2008, 01:22 PM #6 of 14
I've researched building an independent VGM radio station before, but the costs of both the required software and the monthly hosting fees are large. Hundreds of dollars for each. That's probably why most webmasters settle with the somewhat inadequate Live365, but even this requires paying considerable monthly fees. It'd maybe one day be a good idea to produce a collaborative independent VGM radio station though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Hamu-Sumo

Member 1998

Level 23.00

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2008, 02:34 PM Local time: Dec 1, 2008, 09:34 PM #7 of 14
I was also thinking some time ago to do an own VGM radio station but it lacks on money primarily. It's really expensive and a web system like the one Streamingsoundtracks.com has for example needs one person at least who has the coding knowledge. Well, I'm working on the last point (studying Internet-based Systems) but money is a huge factor after all.

FELIPE NO

Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:33 PM 1 #8 of 14
Can't forget Rainwave & OCR Radio: rainwave / ocr radio

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
tebian
Radio DJ

Member 32219

Level 3.41

Nov 2008

Old Dec 2, 2008, 08:20 AM #9 of 14
I've researched building an independent VGM radio station before, but the costs of both the required software and the monthly hosting fees are large. Hundreds of dollars for each. That's probably why most webmasters settle with the somewhat inadequate Live365, but even this requires paying considerable monthly fees. It'd maybe one day be a good idea to produce a collaborative independent VGM radio station though.
I hope this does not come out as ad for my station but I wanted to tell you the information about cost and running one, which can be a lot or a little. You can relatively easily make you own broadcast station using Shoutcast and the plugin for Winamp. That solution has no cost involved for the software up front. I use Sam for my broadcasting and it is like 300 dollars for the package. Both do the same thing, that is to play the tracks on your PC then send them to a provider based on number of listeners at one time and amount of download badwidth they use up.

I broadcast 2 Shoutcast streams and 1 windows media, the cost involved for the smaller of the three is about 30 bucks a month with unlimited downloads. It can cost a lot, like with the Shoutcast stream i use for PSP listeners since this is at set at 100 listeners, that is about 110 bucks a month with unlimited bandwidth.

Now I also run the web page with my links and past songs so that is like another 10 bucks a month. But for most Shoutcast people they have only the radio url going out to the web. Bottom line is it can be as complicated as you want or relatively easy too. I have not really ever want to use 365 cause of what looks to me like complicated system of getting broadcast (this is just my opinion and it is used by a lot of ppl). Anyways I hope that helped a little to explain, I have run my station for about year now and love every minute of it. You ever have any specific questions your welcome to message me.

The easy Winamp/Shoutcast solution.

The way I do it with some of the professional software.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Hamu-Sumo

Member 1998

Level 23.00

Mar 2006

Old Dec 24, 2008, 04:50 PM Local time: Dec 24, 2008, 11:50 PM #10 of 14
By the way I found a nice VGM internet radio. No moderation but nice mix of current and older music and some remixes. Check it out: shadowhaxor.net

Most amazing jew boots

Sitorimon
Happy Minow

Member 185

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2009, 01:54 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2009, 07:54 PM #11 of 14
I run higher plain music and I've been looking at starting an internet station but initially it wasn't exclusively VGM. The costs are very high though so I'm still researching the best way to go about. Watch this space!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
tebian
Radio DJ

Member 32219

Level 3.41

Nov 2008

Old Jan 19, 2009, 05:47 PM #12 of 14
Read up a few post you can easily do a station with little cost to try out how it works with the software I outlined. Shoutcast or Icecast are two system setup for the casual broadcaster to start out with. I have recently found some isp that even provide the flash player and full front end via the web for making a stream. Good luck sir, its a lot of fun.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Anapan
Wark!

Member 32887

Level 1.21

Feb 2009

Old Feb 6, 2009, 02:42 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2009, 12:42 PM #13 of 14
http://www.kohina.com/ - not updated regularly, but 70+ hours is pretty good.

Most amazing jew boots
FlozaxRollins
Carob Nut

Member 26358

Level 4.12

Nov 2007

Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:03 PM #14 of 14
Can't forget Rainwave & OCR Radio: rainwave / ocr radio
I second Rainwave/Ormgas. Great stuff, and the voting is pretty cool.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > VGM Internet Radio Stations!?