Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Endings that blew you away. [Spoilers a go go]

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:29 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 11:29 PM #51 of 64
The ending to MGS3 made me have a man-cry (When you can feel the tears welling up and you get all choked up, but you don't quite let it out) both times I saw it.
Spoiler:
The way Snake stands in front of Boss' grave and lays down the Patriot pistol, then salutes with a tear rolling down his cheek. By that time you really feel his grief, knowing how the Boss had to go on with her staged defection and die by her student's hand, EVA being a double-agent, I just can't help it.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by WolfDemon; Mar 28, 2006 at 03:25 PM.
Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:12 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 03:12 AM #52 of 64
I would definately have to go with Breakdown having one of the cooler end game twists, also a good reason to want to beat the hell out of the 'last' boss. Long spoiler ahead.

Spoiler:
When you get your ass knocked out by the Solus, almost as if you are paralyzed, and Alex starts to try and beat him down, seeing what he does to her, and what her actions are afterwards nearly caused me to lose it, I think.

Then when you see the nuke fall in from above, you think that it's the end...but then BAM...reawaken in the future with a new goal...get stronger, go back, and kick some ass, and pretty much connects on how Alex knows you from the beginning, and why she thought you were so weak.

The scene when you are injected with the perfect T'ellengan(sp?) cells, jumping up through the grate and just going to down is still one of my most favorite parts to any game I've played.

All in all, being able to choose whether or not to stay in your world (bad ending?) and going into Alex's world to save hers (good ending) was quite well done as well.

All in all, this game DESERVES a sequel. Shame it had to be over shadowed by games like Half Life 2 and Halo. Good FPS games in their own right, but do not come CLOSE to the way Breakdown put you in the game.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:37 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 05:37 AM #53 of 64
Originally Posted by Grail
I would definately have to go with Breakdown having one of the cooler end game twists, also a good reason to want to beat the hell out of the 'last' boss. Long spoiler ahead.

Spoiler:
When you get your ass knocked out by the Solus, almost as if you are paralyzed, and Alex starts to try and beat him down, seeing what he does to her, and what her actions are afterwards nearly caused me to lose it, I think.

Then when you see the nuke fall in from above, you think that it's the end...but then BAM...reawaken in the future with a new goal...get stronger, go back, and kick some ass, and pretty much connects on how Alex knows you from the beginning, and why she thought you were so weak.

The scene when you are injected with the perfect T'ellengan(sp?) cells, jumping up through the grate and just going to down is still one of my most favorite parts to any game I've played.

All in all, being able to choose whether or not to stay in your world (bad ending?) and going into Alex's world to save hers (good ending) was quite well done as well.

All in all, this game DESERVES a sequel. Shame it had to be over shadowed by games like Half Life 2 and Halo. Good FPS games in their own right, but do not come CLOSE to the way Breakdown put you in the game.

I asked a guy at E3 last, a representative at Namco's booth and he said nothing was planned. Ggrrrrrr...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:34 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 03:34 PM #54 of 64
Originally Posted by Grail

Spoiler:

Yeah, there's never been a first person game that has reached, or probably ever will reach, the immersiveness of Breakdown. It's quite remarkable that they were able to make the game so cinimatic while always keeping your view from the character's eyes. The fact that it was able to make a first person action game entertaining without an emphesis on guns alone was a feat.

Can anyone think of a first person action game with a better ending than Breakdown's? It seems like lately, all you hear about are FPS games with terrible endings and pointless cliffhangers...now I'm having a hard time thinking of ANY that were really that decent.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
goldeneye2131
Din, Farore, Nayru

Member 2134

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:35 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 03:35 PM #55 of 64
I think Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is one of the best...

Spoiler:
Not just in the end credits, one of the best moments that blew me away was when Princess Zelda calls for the six sages and you see the chamber of the sages and the seal open...I come back to that game just for this scene sometimes...now if I could just find a recording of it...also, the ending of Majora's Mask (especially the music) blew me away

FELIPE NO
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 01:46 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 12:46 PM #56 of 64
Somebody PLEASE say that Lufia II's ending was kick ass.

Spoiler:
Daos: I've killed your wife.
Maxim: NOOOO!
Daos: I'm gonna drop this island on your kid.
Maxim: NOOO!!!!!!!
Daos: HAHA.
Iris: I have appeared.
Maxim: Wait, you're Erim. WTF?!
Iris: Sorry.
Maxim: Tell me how to screw up Daos plans.
Iris: Fine. *opens door*
*Maxim kicks the crap out of 3 stones, sends Doom Island in a goofy direction, dies*
World: Yay! Let's party with Maxi...oh shit.

That and Space Invaders on the PS1
Spoiler:
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY DEFENDED EARTH! THERE IS A SPECIAL BONUS AVAILABLE IN THE MAIN MENU!

And come to find it's the original Space Invaders in its black and white glory. Yay!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 02:26 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 03:26 PM #57 of 64
All the Metal Gears have spectacular endings. MGS2 wasn't really that complicated:

The final mission of Ace Combat 04 was pure cinematic bliss.
**Downs all the Yellows**
"Don't let those pilots die!"
**blows up Megalith**
"Heroes do exist!"

I enjoyed the ending of God of War. Despite Hades and Ares being the most asinine b/s ever devised, climbing those beautifully rendered stairs of Olympus to take your place on the throne was all worth it. Plus Kratos hugging his family to heal them was LOL!

Jam it back in, in the dark.

[ MOBIUS ]
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:15 PM #58 of 64
I agree with all of the MGS 3 ending comments.
What a way to end the game.

Another favorite of mine is the Legacy of Kain games, especially Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance.
LoK: Defiance:
All of the intricate plot points aside; the way Raziel gave himself up to the Reaver and allowing Kain to control it was pretty mind melting.
I'm very curious to see how Kain is going to challenge that Fate God in the next LoK game...if there indeed is another one in the works.

Also, for anyone who's played Soul Reaver 2:
Soul Reaver 2:
How big of a "AW CMON WHAT HAPPENS NEXT???" moment was that History Abhors a Paradox cliffhanger?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Prinnydood
Good Chocobo

Member 208

Level 15.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:27 PM #59 of 64
I loved the endings for Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, both of which were already mentioned. Truly moving and well done storylines.

I also like the ending for FFTactics. The first time I saw it I was really impressed. Same goes for FFVII and FFX

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:33 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 12:33 PM #60 of 64
Originally Posted by Matt
I agree with all of the MGS 3 ending comments.
What a way to end the game.

Another favorite of mine is the Legacy of Kain games, especially Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance.
LoK: Defiance:
All of the intricate plot points aside; the way Raziel gave himself up to the Reaver and allowing Kain to control it was pretty mind melting.
I'm very curious to see how Kain is going to challenge that Fate God in the next LoK game...if there indeed is another one in the works.
That's indeed an awesome ending.

Spoiler:
But it really sucked for me to see Raziel, one of my favorite characters (And Micheal Bell as a favorite VA) go like that. I really hope there's another LoK game. That ending, cool as it was, left me wanting more.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:07 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 07:07 PM #61 of 64
Originally Posted by Matt
Also, for anyone who's played Soul Reaver 2:
Soul Reaver 2:
How big of a "AW CMON WHAT HAPPENS NEXT???" moment was that History Abhors a Paradox cliffhanger?
"I renounce you!"

What a great ending!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:42 PM #62 of 64
^
Oh man, I know what you mean. I couldn't believe that when I saw it. Hell, the last hour of the game was one big epiphany:

Spoiler:
Raziel V.O.:
With all other foes exhausted, the conjoined blades turned themselves on me.
And I realized, finally, why I had sensed nothing when Janos offered me the blade. The Reaver was never forged to be a soul-stealing weapon...

[The Reaver plunges toward Raziel and impales him. His eyes widen in agony,
despair and recognition.]

Raziel V.O.:
... the ravenous, soul-devouring entity trapped in the blade was - and always had been - me. This is why the blade was destroyed when Kain tried to strike me down - the Reaver could not devour its own soul. The paradox shattered the blade. So - this was my terrible destiny - to play out this purgatorial cycle for all eternity... I could not bear it - despair overwhelmed me.

:shh:

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Matt; Mar 28, 2006 at 05:46 PM.
sjcrik
Neko~~

Member 857

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 04:57 AM #63 of 64
The ending of Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter was really great. The emotions of the scene all starts in the story of the game.

Spoiler:
For those that haven't played, the game all takes place underground. It's about trying to get Nina, an experimental "being" made to purify the air, out to reach the sky. Along the way, people are trying to capture Nina, Ryu the main character, and Rin the companion. Ryu gains the power to transform into a dragon with awesome powers, but there's a drawback. There's a dragon counter that when it reaches 100%, he dies.

So all through the game, it is clear that Ryu will risk anything to get Nina to the sky, while trying to keep the dragon counter from reaching 100%. So they finally reach the last boss...

It turns out the last boss is a powerful dragon, and Ryu needs to transform to beat it. As he uses his dragon powers, the counter starts climbing up to 100%. The boss still alive, Ryu pushes the counter to 150%, and finally 200%. Doing all this to allow Nina to reach the sky. After the battle, Ryu tells Nina that he needs to rest and have Lin take her to the sky first.

As Nina happily climbs the stairs to reach outside, we see Ryu sitting on the floor all limp. Lin notices but doesn't say anything to Nina and continues walking with a sad face. Once outside, Nina realizes that Ryu hasn't come yet and rushes back inside. She sees Ryu sitting on the floor not moving. He did push the dragon counter past 100% afterall. Crying and running back to Ryu she trips to the floor.

During this time, Ryu was given a chance to live by the dragon power because of his actions. So as Nina gets up from the floor, we see Ryu reaching a hand up towards the sky at Nina saying "I'm here Nina". The screen fades to black and the credits roll.

The story was great, and the ending finished it up nicely. I was sad at first, thinking Ryu died and never got to see Nina outside, but then happy that Ryu actually survived.

To me, this was on par w/ the ending to Chrono Trigger. It had that nice warm fuzzy feeling to it =p

FELIPE NO
dugan
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 4388

Level 1.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 07:48 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 04:48 PM #64 of 64
Cosmic Fantasy 2.

You spend most of the game searching for a girl who turns out to be a princess and then

Spoiler:

You fight the boss. He kicks your ass and you ascertain that he's used the princess' powers to become invincible.

Shortly afterwards, you find the princess. The boss having gotten what he wanted from her, she's been released. When you find her she gives you her pendant and says, "when you fight the boss, break this pendant. It will make him mortal again."

So you do so and you kill the boss.

Then you return to the princess. She's dead. Her nurse says "she didn't tell you that when you broke the pendant, it would kill her too."

Roll credits.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Endings that blew you away. [Spoilers a go go]