Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

RPG characters you like that everybody else hates.

DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 01:09 AM #1 of 47
RPG characters you like that everybody else hates.

Got any? Personally I've never been able to understand why everyone hates Yuffie from FF7 and Flonne from Disgaea so much. Does everyone hate Hyperactive and/or overly cheerful females?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

"Out thought and out fought."
kupomog
you’ve been naughty

Member 705

Level 16.84

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 01:28 AM Local time: May 25, 2006, 08:28 PM #2 of 47
I liked Yuffie a lot, too. I always thought she was cute, especially since she was the youngest one out of the bunch and I was pretty young when I played FFVII for the first time. My friend hated her guts and for some reason only started liking Yuffie after I showed her Yuffie's character portrait from Ehrgeiz. What was weird to me is that this friend is the very one who pestered me to find Yuffie in the first place. I also never had a problem with Cait Sith's character.. but I never used him in battle.

From what I've seen, most people seem to hate Shania from Shadow Hearts: From the New World which I find pretty easy to understand. She doesn't have a whole lot of depth to her except for some small moments, *obligatory sex appeal comment,* she has a one track mind with her revenge dealy and it gets old. But... I liked her, anyway. Might just be my usually habit of getting attached to the first male/female characters I see. I especially like making her lie during the Carribbean interrogation.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 06:26 AM Local time: May 26, 2006, 04:26 AM #3 of 47
Dart in Legend of Dragoon. Everyone has a hard-on for Rose and says Dart is just a poor man's Cloud but I found him endearing, at the very least.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 09:11 AM #4 of 47
I think a lot of people in general like to trash the entire game and character cast, but I agree with the above, that Dart really wasn't so bad. (And neither was the game. I've certainly played worse.)

Nash from Lunar always made me chuckle. I never found him to be all that irritating and never really got all that mad when he pulled his little "stunt", either. I'm generally pretty forgiving and a character would have to be pretty lifeless or a total bastard for me to completely dislike them.

Most amazing jew boots
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 09:41 AM Local time: May 26, 2006, 08:41 AM #5 of 47
I really enjoyed Legend of Dragoon as well. I can understand why a lot of people dislike the game and most of the characters, as I dislike Meru, but I thought the game was a good effort, even though Rose was the only character with much depth.

A lot of people throw a blanket dislike of the characters from FFX, but I am a pretty huge Lulu fan. She basically shared mentor duty with Auron, where Auron was the father figure to the group, Lulu was the wise older sister figure and as such was fairly even and level-headed throughout the game. It would have been nice if after she was designed, the kids at Square would have decided to leave her out of a mediocre Final Fantasy title and let her star in her own non-Final Fantasy title {not something we really saw much of after Vagrant Story and before the Square-Enix merger}.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 02:39 PM Local time: May 26, 2006, 11:39 AM #6 of 47
Most threads I've seen don't seem to like Selphie from FFVIII. It's been years since I've played the game, but I remember that I didn't seem to mind her much. I think part of the reason was because of her "The End" limit.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 04:14 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 12:14 AM #7 of 47
I thought Selphie was one of the more likeable characters from the FFVIII cast while playing, even though I later found her the typically empty "perky" teen girl. Still much more likeable than most of the cast =/

FELIPE NO

kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 04:18 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 02:18 AM #8 of 47
Wasn't Squall just the typically "angsty emotionally torn anti-social guilt ridden" 20-something protagonist? Zell was the typically "goofy sidekick comic relief". Seifer was the typically "traitor protagonist's foil and nemesis". Irvine was the typically "fun loving ladies man with a heart of gold" etc. etc and so forth.

It becomes more which general stereotype you're more fond of, rather than the specific character.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
daguuy
I am IronMan

Member 3545

Level 6.69

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 11:49 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 10:49 AM #9 of 47
Dart from Legend of Dragoon. i like the classic warrior characters who like fight evil and save the world and stuff. then there's all the hot chicks.

Last edited by daguuy; May 27, 2006 at 11:52 AM.
yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 12:52 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 09:52 AM #10 of 47
Collet from Tales of Symphonia, Mint from Tales of Phantasia and Shirley from Tales of Legenida... I don't get why people hate female protags from this series so much, is it because they are blonde yet do not possess any typical blonde chick's personalities? Or is it because they are so kind and innocent that make them less realistic? Or... could it be that the voice acting for the US versions just suck too much that they seem so damn annoying than the rest of the casts...

I like all three of them, they fit their roles perfectly well and they have traits that make them qualify for the protagonists' roles.

Most amazing jew boots
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 01:15 PM #11 of 47
I think the "too kind" thing is dead on. It is terribly unrealistic for anyone to be so damn reserved all the time. I don't find it irritating, though, just I could see why some people would.

Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 01:42 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 04:12 PM #12 of 47
Grissom from Vagrant Story. He was my favourite character in the game, but if people remember him at all, he's usually remembered only as "that boss from the damn forest battle".

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 01:45 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 11:45 AM #13 of 47
Rowd from Suikoden II. I've yet to meet another person that likes him.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 02:23 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 11:23 AM #14 of 47
Originally Posted by kat
Wasn't Squall just the typically "angsty emotionally torn anti-social guilt ridden" 20-something protagonist? Zell was the typically "goofy sidekick comic relief". Seifer was the typically "traitor protagonist's foil and nemesis". Irvine was the typically "fun loving ladies man with a heart of gold" etc. etc and so forth.

It becomes more which general stereotype you're more fond of, rather than the specific character.
On that note, I'm not too fond of the "weak female mage," so most of the characters who fall under that category are those I easily dislike.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LS

Purple

Member 509

Level 21.05

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 03:53 PM Local time: May 28, 2006, 04:53 AM #15 of 47
Most people i've talked to said "yes he sucks" "Omg that guy fucking sucks" "He is lame you know" And the character i'm talking about is Lang from legend of legaia 2, Yeah people might hate him for having a bad VA, for being so "I need to get that back or else!" but theres a certain thing about him i just like, I dont know he is kinda cool for me.

How ya doing, buddy?
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 05:57 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 05:57 PM #16 of 47
Originally Posted by Rydia
Most threads I've seen don't seem to like Selphie from FFVIII. It's been years since I've played the game, but I remember that I didn't seem to mind her much. I think part of the reason was because of her "The End" limit.
Same here. Actually, I used "The End" on Ultemecia for all but one of her forms. I guess I got incredibly lucky there.
Sure, she's a little hyper and happy, but I wasn't too annoyed by that.

I also loved Wakka from FFX, despite that fact that people love to hate him. His comments are priceless for their stupidity, and they provide nice comic relief.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 06:02 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 05:02 PM #17 of 47
But the TEACHINGS!!!

My biggest problem with Wakka really isn't his stupidity, it's more of his blind religious zealotry that gets me irritated.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 07:56 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 05:56 PM #18 of 47
I hated Wakka in the beginning but then grew to appreciate that there was a type of character like that in the Final Fantasy universe though his transformation of accepting Al-Bhed and others was a bit...forced in my opinion.

I'm a fan a Squall who seems to garner vehemence from a lot of the gaming populous. I guess it's because I relate to him on some level.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 01:59 AM #19 of 47
>.>
<.<

I'll admit it......

Tidus kind of grew on me--in spite of the bad dialogue. That's not the character's fault. ("I'm not bad; I'm just drawn that way."--Jessica Rabbit) Not too many people remark on the fact that what started as a selfish journey of Tidus to return home turned into a quest to save Yuna, his father, and the world. He was willing to sacrifice himself to save them.

Gringar
Uchiha Itachi

Member 7285

Level 1.10

May 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 01:44 AM #20 of 47
Everyone hates Yuffie for a good reason. She starts out on thin ice with the inconvienience it is to actually get her, moreso if you manage to mess up the questions. Then she goes and steals all of your materia, not a good way to win hearts.

But no matter how much you hate her, you know you hate Cait Sith more.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 02:06 AM Local time: May 28, 2006, 11:06 PM #21 of 47
Originally Posted by elwe
Same here. Actually, I used "The End" on Ultemecia for all but one of her forms. I guess I got incredibly lucky there.
Sure, she's a little hyper and happy, but I wasn't too annoyed by that.
If you remember the Omega Weapon in the final dungeon, I used her limit on that optional boss. I suppose some might consider it a form of cheating.

Selphie reminds me of Yuffie and Rikku and I tend to group them all together. I don't mind those two either. Eiko from FFIX may also be similar to the above three, but I found her more irritating.

Ottonabs
N64-1701

Member 352

Level 2.38

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 11:20 AM Local time: May 29, 2006, 10:20 AM #22 of 47
It seems like everyone hates the Black Belt/Monk class from FF1, but that is possibly my favorite one. (Not exactly a character, but close enough.)

Quina was awesome too, but no one understands...

In reverse, this character is one I hate that everyone else likes:
I'm not a fan of Tifa. She is the most generic support role imaginable, and the rpg stereotype of the kind caring female was always annoying to me. (Looks like Aeris fits this stereotype too.) Seems unrealistic.

Most amazing jew boots
A koopa never lived who had an ounce of integrity.

Last edited by Ottonabs; May 31, 2006 at 01:56 PM.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 12:54 PM #23 of 47
Monk>Master is probably the strongest damage dealing class in the game. I don't think as many people as you think dislike them. :P

FELIPE NO
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 01:18 PM #24 of 47
I loved Selphie as well, as that curly-sides-sticking-outwards cut is the haircut I'd love to see the most on a girl, apart from the curly-sides-sticking-inwards (a bob?). Also because, you don't see nunchucks being frequently used, especially with a girl like Selphie.

No one likes Quina because it was fat, strange and unreliable. I liked being able to stab for random damage and using blue magic abilities. The chef motif was very fun to play with as well.

I liked Yuffie because of the way she'd swing her shuriken when summoning. I didn't care whether she stole my materia or had a silly L4 limit break.

I also liked Meru because she used a hammer. I haven't seen too much girls with hammers so I really dig that.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 01:26 PM Local time: May 29, 2006, 11:26 AM #25 of 47
I honestly would hit Selphie. She's got that spunk and cuteness factor that even Yuffie seems to be missing. Yes, I have the hots for Selphie and Yuffie.

::runs away in shame::.

The weird thing though in FFVIII is somehow using nunchakus c/o Yuffie to fight mechanical enemies with reinforced metal armour, and fists of "anger" c/o Zell to take down a tank? You see this in Fisherman's Horizon.

One of her best lines was talking to Zone and saying "AND WE'LL BLOW IT UP TO SMITHERINES!" when you were going to capture the President on the runaway train.

Rikku does look the most cute, but I hate her goddamn valley girl attitude. my way or the highway. Seriously now.

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; May 29, 2006 at 01:36 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > RPG characters you like that everybody else hates.